Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Where is a good place to see players' contract breakdown, such as how much they are due over the next few years and such?

And also, I've googled my rear end off but I can't find anything that says how many total penalties were called this year in comparison to other years.

Cole fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Flynn will be an unrestricted free agent, right? He's been in the league for four years at the end of this season, right? It'll be cool to see him take a starting spot somewhere, as much as I'm sure Green Bay would like to hold onto him for the odd occasion when Rodgers doesn't play.

Cole posted:

And also, I've googled my rear end off but I can't find anything that says how many total penalties were called this year in comparison to other years.

I'm not sure about totals, but I did see last night that the Raiders have the most penalties on the year. They're also in the top ten penalized teams like four other times, if I remember the list right.

Detective Thompson fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 3, 2012

Sleepy Beef
Oct 2, 2009

by Fistgrrl
So I'm probably just dumb and can find this on smartfootball really easily or something but I've heard multiple times that the zone blitz was the main "antidote" defensively so to speak for the run'n'shoot but I've never really understood why. So, why? Run'n'shoot is based off route trees and poo poo like that right? So... what about the zone blitz makes it harder for receivers to find spaces in the defense?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Detective Thompson posted:

Flynn will be an unrestricted free agent, right? He's been in the league for four years at the end of this season, right? It'll be cool to see him take a starting spot somewhere, as much as I'm sure Green Bay would like to hold onto him for the odd occasion when Rodgers doesn't play.

I'm not sure about totals, but I did see last night that the Raiders have the most penalties on the year. They're also in the top ten penalized teams like four other times, if I remember the list right.

I read about the Raiders, but with the strict calling of everything you do to a QB, I was curious of the total number of penalties for the entire year is more than any other year. It just seems like it would be with the amount of flags that get thrown in every single game.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Sleepy Beef posted:

So I'm probably just dumb and can find this on smartfootball really easily or something but I've heard multiple times that the zone blitz was the main "antidote" defensively so to speak for the run'n'shoot but I've never really understood why. So, why? Run'n'shoot is based off route trees and poo poo like that right? So... what about the zone blitz makes it harder for receivers to find spaces in the defense?

My horribly basic explanation that may or may not be completely correct:

Most run-n-shoot teams run quick routes based off of reading the LB or safety in their area. If the LB rushes the passer, a WR may say "Great, inside slant right where that guy used to be" and be in that route before he notices that oh crap, that DE isn't pass-rushing, he's back-pedaling right into where my QB is supposed to throw me the...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFAA2tTaIwA -- 5:08 in

Sleepy Beef
Oct 2, 2009

by Fistgrrl

skaboomizzy posted:

My horribly basic explanation that may or may not be completely correct:

Most run-n-shoot teams run quick routes based off of reading the LB or safety in their area. If the LB rushes the passer, a WR may say "Great, inside slant right where that guy used to be" and be in that route before he notices that oh crap, that DE isn't pass-rushing, he's back-pedaling right into where my QB is supposed to throw me the...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFAA2tTaIwA -- 5:08 in

Yeah I see exactly what you mean by that video except in that video the LB actually does blitz and it's an end that backs off into coverage (same difference really). I have no idea to tell if your explanation is correct or not but that seems like even if there are other factors, that would be a significant problem in itself.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Sleepy Beef posted:

Yeah I see exactly what you mean by that video except in that video the LB actually does blitz and it's an end that backs off into coverage (same difference really). I have no idea to tell if your explanation is correct or not but that seems like even if there are other factors, that would be a significant problem in itself.

That's exactly what zone blitz means. Back 7 player blitzes, lineman drops into coverage in his spot.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Sleepy Beef posted:

You restated exactly what you quoted as if it were different.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
The key concept of zone-blitzing isn't to exchange rushers on the DL for blitzers from the secondary, but to play a cover 2/3 with zone underneath by only rushing 4 or 5 guys, allowing the defense to play 6 or 7 defenders in zone sufficient to cover the field.

In order to effectively blitz with 5 rushers the scheme relies upon clever usage of stunts on the DL and alignment of the potential blitzers in the back 7 to confuse the protection scheme (not that this is unique to zone-blitzing.)

An example of this is:

The defense is able to play solid zone deep and underneath, and get a numbers advantage despite only rushing 5. The strong 5 end holds the tackle and the guard blocks no one. The offense is already at a loss because they have 2 men essentially blocking 1. The nose is picked up by the center, the guard takes the will, and the weak 5 end makes a wide outside rush and pulls the left tackle with him. The back will now have to stay in and block the linebacker, so now at best, the offense has 4 receivers in routes against 6 defenders in zone coverage, 2 linemen to block 1 rusher while a runningback has to block the rush OLB.

The Giants under Parcells and Belichick used schemes like this to get Lawrence Taylor 1v1 against a back to disastrous results for the opposing offense.

Here is the smart football post on the run n shoot vs the zone blitz:
http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/2007/07/what-killed-run-and-shoot.html

Tyrr
Feb 5, 2010
Why didn't the clock stop in the Saints game, when they kneeled on 4th down? In the Giants game the clock stopped when the Falcons didn't get the 1st down on 4th.
Also why does the clock sometimes start again, before the snap, after the player with the ball went out of bounds, but most of the time it doesn't? That question is also about the NFL.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Often times it will seem like a player was down by crossing the sidelines (a situation that stops the clock) but really he got carried out of bounds after being downed inside the sidelines by either contact or whistle.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Tr0000000000000000 posted:

Also why does the clock sometimes start again, before the snap, after the player with the ball went out of bounds, but most of the time it doesn't? That question is also about the NFL.

Assuming they actually stopped it for out of bounds and didn't give him progress inbounds; unless you're inside the last two minutes of a half (NCAA) or last 2 of the first half/last 5 of the second/overtime (NFL), the clock starts when the ball's been brought back to the hash and spotted. This was originally an NFL idea to reduce game lengths, and if you look at their game times, they are scary good at getting games to finish in less than 3 hours 15 minutes.

Sleepy Beef
Oct 2, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Bashez posted:

You restated exactly what you quoted as if it were different.

Indeed I did! I completely misread what he said, whoops. Thank you for the elaboration everyone.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Why didn't the clock stop in the Saints game, when they kneeled on 4th down? In the Giants game the clock stopped when the Falcons didn't get the 1st down on 4th.

As with what the others are saying, you can also tell whether or not they will stop the clock by the signal of the referee at the end of the play. If he whistles while doing a windmill motion with one hand, like so, then the clock continues. If he whistles and makes a waving motion above his head, it indicates clock stoppage after the play. The clock will start again after 'time in' signal is given.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I just lost CBS from my Verizon FIOS cable service due to some sort of contract dispute between FIOS and the cable conglomerate.

Are there (any?) easy ways to watch the Ravens game on Sunday online? Streaming somewhere, or through an iPad app?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Aatrek posted:

I just lost CBS from my Verizon FIOS cable service due to some sort of contract dispute between FIOS and the cable conglomerate.

Are there (any?) easy ways to watch the Ravens game on Sunday online? Streaming somewhere, or through an iPad app?

Stolen from one of the Gameday Threads:

Check here: http://www.firstrow.tv/sport/american-football.html, http://www.vipbox.tv/sports/american-football.html, http://www.slipstreamtv.com/main.php?id=sports1, http://atdhenet.tv/, http://p2p4u.net/, http://www.veetle.com, http://www.ustream.tv/, and http://www.justin.tv/directory/sports

If you have trouble finding a decent stream hop into the GDT and ask, there are usually several people streaming.

NBC officially streamed their game last Saturday but I don't think CBS has done that.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Also keep in mind CBS broadcasts their digital, high-def signal over the air. You might not get a great signal where you live, but there are online maps to see if you'll get a good signal.

You'll need an antennae (and a digital converter but if your tv is less than ~5 years old its probably built in). You can build one pretty cheaply and quickly, or you can buy one for $20.

Tyrr
Feb 5, 2010

Trin Tragula posted:

Assuming they actually stopped it for out of bounds and didn't give him progress inbounds; unless you're inside the last two minutes of a half (NCAA) or last 2 of the first half/last 5 of the second/overtime (NFL), the clock starts when the ball's been brought back to the hash and spotted. This was originally an NFL idea to reduce game lengths, and if you look at their game times, they are scary good at getting games to finish in less than 3 hours 15 minutes.

Thanks, that explains the situations I wondered about perfectly.
But I'm still confused about my first question.

quote:

Nobody but me seemed surprised about it, so I assume there must be a well known explanation.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Nobody but me seemed surprised about it, so I assume there must be a well known explanation.

The short version is that the Lions came onto the field and started doing post-game handshakes and such so the referees wound the clock. Informal concession.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Where does "turn left nooo" come from?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Doppelganger posted:

Where does "turn left nooo" come from?

Helldump a few years back. Noted creepy rear end poster Deek changed his name to a joke about Dale Earnhardt's death "Turn Left Dale, Noooooo". It was really loving funny and has become a bit of a meme since then.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

e: wrong thread

SynMoo fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 16, 2012

CzarStark
Dec 23, 2007

by R. Guyovich
At the end of the third quarter (with 10 seconds left) in the NYG-GB game, a GB running back ran out of bounds, but the clock kept going. I thought going out of bounds always stopped the clock?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

CzarStark posted:

At the end of the third quarter (with 10 seconds left) in the NYG-GB game, a GB running back ran out of bounds, but the clock kept going. I thought going out of bounds always stopped the clock?

Was he being tackled at the time? If your forward progress was stopped by a tackle started in bounds and you fall backwards out of bounds the clock keeps running.

CzarStark
Dec 23, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Grittybeard posted:

Was he being tackled at the time? If your forward progress was stopped by a tackle started in bounds and you fall backwards out of bounds the clock keeps running.

IIRC, he was being hit but he went out of bounds going forward, and under his own power.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
As far as I know that's the only out of bounds situation where the clock doesn't stop at all. They do wind the clock after the ball is placed and ready for play except in the last 5 minutes of halves and games.

e: Last 2 minutes of the first half and last 5 minutes of the game (and overtime presumably). http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/timing

And that page also has the worst rule ever:

quote:

When, in the judgment of the Referee, the level of crowd noise prevents the offense from hearing its signals, he can institute a series of procedures which can result in a loss of team time outs or a five-yard penalty against the defensive team.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 16, 2012

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The Digest is about 5 years old and the crowd-noise rule is history. NFL just recently joined us in the future and uploaded its full rulebook as a free PDF so you can see how loving horrendous it is. I recommend the uniform regulations, including the bit where it literally specifies how much white players have to have at the top of their socks hose.

The other possibility for why the clock kept running is that the TV clock is not in any way tied to the official game clock, and if it gets out of sync they'll sometimes try to correct it without anyone noticing like you would if they took it off the screen to reset the graphic, so they'll just run it or hold it up.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 16, 2012

CzarStark
Dec 23, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Grittybeard posted:

As far as I know that's the only out of bounds situation where the clock doesn't stop at all. They do wind the clock after the ball is placed and ready for play except in the last 5 minutes of halves and games.

e: Last 2 minutes of the first half and last 5 minutes of the game (and overtime presumably). http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/timing

And that page also has the worst rule ever:

Good to know, that doesn't actually stop the clock like I thought. Thanks!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Trin Tragula posted:

The Digest is about 5 years old and the crowd-noise rule is history. NFL just recently joined us in the future and uploaded its full rulebook as a free PDF so you can see how loving horrendous it is. I recommend the uniform regulations, including the bit where it literally specifies how much white players have to have at the top of their socks hose.

Oh really? I didn't know that. Even though I don't think it was ever actually used the fact that the crowd noise rule was a thing is still mindblowing, glad to hear it's gone.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

Even though I don't think it was ever actually used

Sam Wyche made the NFL look really loving stupid back in 1989 about it and it just kind of withered away as a thing that was in there but nobody ever used (he didn't do it again cos he'd made his point), and then the Competition Committee finally killed it a few years back.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Can we talk about one thing I don't get in general? Home-field advantage. I don't get it. You're telling me when you're playing professional athletes millions of dollars they play worse when they have to travel and play in some noise? Plenty of other (lesser) sports exist without a discussion of this term. Is it mostly in team sports? Is it true bookies give you roughly 3 points for playing at hoem?

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Its Miller Time posted:

Can we talk about one thing I don't get in general? Home-field advantage. I don't get it. You're telling me when you're playing professional athletes millions of dollars they play worse when they have to travel and play in some noise? Plenty of other (lesser) sports exist without a discussion of this term. Is it mostly in team sports? Is it true bookies give you roughly 3 points for playing at hoem?

Off the tope of my head:

Boxing
Baseball
Basketball
Football (as in, American Football)
Hockey
I don't know enough about soccer, cricket, etc.

But to answer specifically about football, there's 11 players that have to be coordinated at any one time on their side of the ball. If you are on offense and have to get the play call, snap count, line check, audibles, motion etc. and the whole stadium is screaming, they can't hear a darn thing. This is when you hear the term "silent count" being referenced. That alone is worth home field for the annoyance to the other offensive team. Not to mention that your entire typical routine stays exactly the same for a week instead of having to have someone show everyone exactly where things are (it's purely speculation but I'd have to think it's annoying to think about where the bathroom is every single time you have to go and find a place to eat etc). Yes, they're professionals, but they human as well. The 3 point line is a typical thing.

I wish I knew what that advantage felt like because I'm a Giants fan and they win much more on the road.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

balancedbias posted:

I wish I knew what that advantage felt like because I'm a Giants fan and they win much more on the road.

If I had to guess its likely more pronounced in a Dome. New Orleans and the Seahawks regularly clear 115-120 decibels while the away team is on offense.

E_Motion
Oct 26, 2004

Your fortuitous arrival is most welcome! Now, I am spared the bother of hunting you down!

College Slice

Barudak posted:

If I had to guess its likely more pronounced in a Dome. New Orleans and the Seahawks regularly clear 115-120 decibels while the away team is on offense.
Since when is CenturyLink/Qwest a dome stadium? Also, I always heard that the two hardest stadiums for opposing teams to visit were Qwest and Arrowhead which are both open air

Barudak
May 7, 2007

E_Motion posted:

Since when is CenturyLink/Qwest a dome stadium? Also, I always heard that the two hardest stadiums for opposing teams to visit were Qwest and Arrowhead which are both open air

I, uh, I'm future posting (I meant the Colts in regards to Domes).

:negative:

I've never heard of Arrowhead being loud, though.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 16, 2012

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

E_Motion posted:

Qwest was specifically designed to be louder than a dome. It's insane.

E_Motion
Oct 26, 2004

Your fortuitous arrival is most welcome! Now, I am spared the bother of hunting you down!

College Slice

Barudak posted:

I, uh, I'm future posting (I meant the Colts).

:negative:

Hm, I heard the CBS dudes say it at the Ravens game yesterday, but I believe I have heard it multiple times before. Could be just me though.

Also, I ried to find home/away splits for the Seahawks since they were in their current stadium and I can't find it! We need a dokmo for football.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Barudak posted:

It's the only thing the Chiefs are known for, that and never getting Tony Gonzalez a ring.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

balancedbias posted:

:words:

Old Giants Stadium and Arrowhead were basically the same building. Giants Stadium could get LOUD, but almost never did because of the lackluster old fan base (I no joke would see dudes wearing those wacky headphone AM radio things ASLEEP in their seats).

Metlife has the same fans, but the seats are mostly all higher and further away from the field, and unlike Quest there was no consideration made to directing what noise was made towards the field.

It is VERY very quit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

why is there a two week break between the conference finals and the superbowl? is it so the players have more time to heal/get fit?

• Locked thread