Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

Ms. Happiness posted:

So the Mom in law got me a knitting book for Christmas which refueled my desire to master knitting. I've been an avid crocheter for years and always got frustrated when trying to learn to knit. What would y'all recommend for a beginning interchangeable needle set? Somebody mentioned Denise Knitting Needles would be a good beginner purchase. Any other suggestions?

I bought the Denise Knitting Needles set as my first needles when I came back to knitting last year. I quite liked them at the time, but after knitting a lot for 2 months I treated myself to a Knitpro (knitpicks) Rosewood set and I LOVE them. In comparison I now find the Denise ones really clunky and I much prefer wooden needles to plastic. I haven't used the Denise ones again since I got the Knitpro ones. I get on okay with the Knitpro metal ones too (I have a few fixed circs), but find it a little slippy for my taste.

The main thing I love about the Knitpro ones though is the super flexible cable. Really great for doing circular knitting, and particularly magic loop method if you like that technique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Made a thing

Warm All Winter by Cat Bordhi

Spiteful
Apr 26, 2009
In a similar theme as yours Fooley, I just made my boyfriend this:
http://i44.tinypic.com/bijbpw.jpg

From this pattern:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/bearded-toque

I kept it a surprise from him until I decided I wanted to knit a few more rows to lengthen the face and had to have him try it on (I was right to do this). The amount of weaving in was insane and i'm glad I didn't take out my frustration by killing anyone. Lesson learnt: seed stitch is a pretty good substitute for something that needs to look crochet-ish. Also snaps were added so he can experiment with a variety of moustaches.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Is this turnout weak or what? I had at least 70 more people at my funeral.
Addicted to lace:

I had a bunch of 40% off Joanns coupon, and for some reason I bought Paton's Lace, which is just terrible. I'm not even a fiber snob. It blocked despite being 80% acrylic but it's so itchy and cheap feeling I'll never wear it. My mom took it but I feel bad for giving it to her. I wanted to donate it to...something... At least it only cost 3 dollars!

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

HeatherChandler posted:

Addicted to lace:

Wooooo-eee that's pretty! What pattern is that?

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Amykinz posted:

Wooooo-eee that's pretty! What pattern is that?

I'm pretty sure that's Ethereal.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Sodium Chloride posted:

I'm pretty sure that's Ethereal.

Good call. Although, mine refused to block as a triangle, it's a very definite crescent. It was so straightforward and well charted, I might make another in yarn I would want to wear.

Does anyone here sell knits? I would like to make a few shawls to sell since I can knit in class breaks and while studying. I would never try and sell anything made from a free pattern, but what is the deal with patterns you buy? Even then, do you have to alter a pattern and how much? It's hard not to ape something that someone, somewhere has written down, when it's just cherry leaf lace with a border.

I know I wouldn't be able to even pay myself minimum wage, but my clinical rotation schedule has made it difficult to find time to work a real job. My financial aid budget reflects this, just looking for pocket money (without going the route of '$40 scarves made of Super-Saver' I see on Etsy)

HeatherChandler fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 8, 2012

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Assuming you're in the US, it's legal to sell items made from copyrighted patterns, as copyrights apply to written things and not objects you make from them. A lot of knitters think it's morally dubious to do so, especially if the designer specifically requests that you do not sell the finished object. Personally I think you should be able to do what you please with an object you spent money on for materials and put time into creating (particularly as most people who would buy a finished knitted item are not going to be buying the pattern in the first place), but it's up to you to decide where you stand.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Plus, personally, I think it's one thing if you're a student trying to make cash in-between classes (something I sympathise with, as I'm sometimes in the studio for 12 hours a day), and another thing completely if you're making stuff as a full time job.

I read once that knitted items are the worst selling items on Etsy though, so beware It was in a feminist article saying that Etsy sold women a dream of being independent and crafty but actually only very few people make good money off it. Something like toys will probably sell better than clothes.

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
A question about shawls-- how often do y'all wear them? I have a whole pile in my closet of various knitted lace shawls, but I can never find a good time/place/outfit to wear them. Well, I wore one to a fancy dress-up dinner with a nice dress, but that's the only time I've ever managed it.

I'd love to see some pictures of shawl-coordinated outfits, if you have any!

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

madlilnerd posted:

I read once that knitted items are the worst selling items on Etsy though, so beware It was in a feminist article saying that Etsy sold women a dream of being independent and crafty but actually only very few people make good money off it. Something like toys will probably sell better than clothes.

Yea I am really cynical about Etsy, especially with the way they turn blind eyes to resellers. Maybe if I get a topless hipster to model things in front of a weathered barn I can get some cred.

I was toying with the idea off making chemo caps but I'd hate to profit on it. Maybe I could donate a portion, or does that make me like an evil corporation who uses the promise of charity to make sales?

Drei posted:

Assuming you're in the US, it's legal to sell items made from copyrighted patterns, as copyrights apply to written things and not objects you make from them. A lot of knitters think it's morally dubious to do so, especially if the designer specifically requests that you do not sell the finished object. Personally I think you should be able to do what you please with an object you spent money on for materials and put time into creating (particularly as most people who would buy a finished knitted item are not going to be buying the pattern in the first place), but it's up to you to decide where you stand.
I'm not sure how I feel morally, which is why I threw it out there. Thanks for the input. I say I wouldn't sell anything from a free pattern, especially ones where the person put a lot of effort into designing transitions and making nice charts--however if someone I knew personally gave me a free pattern and said 'I'll pay you to make this for me' I know drat well I'd do it.

Pucklynn posted:

A question about shawls-- how often do y'all wear them? I have a whole pile in my closet of various knitted lace shawls, but I can never find a good time/place/outfit to wear them. Well, I wore one to a fancy dress-up dinner with a nice dress, but that's the only time I've ever managed it.

Triangles you can wear like a triangle scarf, with the point in the front and wrapped around the neck, with jeans and a plain fitted shirt really. I like the girlyness. Plus it's a way to expand a ghetto wardrobe made of solid long sleeve t-shirts from the Walmart juniors section.

HeatherChandler fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 8, 2012

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
I generally wear triangle shawls like a scarf - sort of the way hipsters wear keffiyehs with the center point in front. I love how classy ladies look dressed up with a shawl around the shoulders but I rarely dress formal and think I look old with shawls anyways. Still keep knitting them, though...

certainsounds
Apr 27, 2008

Saw this neat article pop up on NPR's website this morning about Maryland prisoners "knitting behind bars". Sounds like a pretty rad program:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/01/08/144828657/at-one-maryland-prison-theyre-knitting-behind-bars

"Knitting provides everything you need to do — everything you should have learned in kindergarten. It teaches you how to focus. It teaches you how to make a task and meet that goal. It teaches you now to ... control your anger. ... All of these are skills are life skills, are job skills. ... Skills that, quite possibly, many people in our society are lacking."

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Pucklynn posted:

It's nice to curl up with a shawl in a chair with a good book. I wear one of my lace shawls out a fair bit, but I tend to overdress when I go out because I have way too many dressy clothes. I pulled wearing a shawl once and the next day when the guy walked me home he laughed and said I looked like a little old lady from Dublin :(

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

It is hard to sell hand knitted items, mainly due to people not valuing hand knitted things.

Recently the BBC had on a little Christmas spot on tv with various people wearing horrible knitted jumpers. Originally they wanted the jumpers to be hand knitted and wanted to pay £20, knitters told them to go jump. In the end machine knit jumpers were bought for £70.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

HeatherChandler posted:

Yea I am really cynical about Etsy, especially with the way they turn blind eyes to resellers. Maybe if I get a topless hipster to model things in front of a weathered barn I can get some cred.

I was toying with the idea off making chemo caps but I'd hate to profit on it. Maybe I could donate a portion, or does that make me like an evil corporation who uses the promise of charity to make sales?

Not really. Making them costs both time and money in material costs. It only seems fair for you to get paid for your time, and if you're donating to charity as part of it too, that's even better.

But yeah, it does seem like it's hard to get people to realize what a knitted item is worth. In addition to people not valuing them, how many people actually know about the cost of yarn and how much yarn goes into something like a sweater? It's a lot!

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

neongrey posted:

But yeah, it does seem like it's hard to get people to realize what a knitted item is worth. In addition to people not valuing them, how many people actually know about the cost of yarn and how much yarn goes into something like a sweater? It's a lot!

I actually find this my biggest problem. I will knit simple/small things for my friends for free, if they buy the yarn. This is partly so they can't complain about the end result not being the right colour or being itchy or being wrong because of the yarn. However, it always ends up with an exchange like this:

:)"I want you to make me a really long scarf, I find scarves in shops are not long enough."
:j:"Okay, pick a yarn."
:)"Yeah, I like this one. It's £4.50 a ball. How many balls do we need? Like 2? 3 max?"
:j:"uh... for a 3 metre scarf? Probably 10, maybe more."
:colbert:"Well... how about we buy 3 for now and then when you've used them all up, we can come back for more?"
:j:"No, if we do that there's no way of guaranteeing that the new yarn will be from the same dye lot. The scarf might end up patchy and weird looking."
:colbert:"I don't believe you need 10 balls of wool."
:j: "They're 50g balls, you really don't get a lot of wool for 50g"
:saddowns: "My nan used to knit me jumpers from just one ball"
:j: "You were a lot smaller then, and she probably used a 400g ball"
:argh: "If wool was really that expensive, no one would knit"

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

I think that's why making caps kinda popped into my head, the yarn cost is pretty low, even for nice yarns. People need to look at their sweater tags, none of my really cheapy 'fashion' sweaters are 100% wool or 100% merino. Although, you can get cashmere sweaters at TJ Maxx for $60, I don't think I would bother trying to sell garments, ever. For gifts I try to only make people things they couldn't buy. I have awesome friends though, the kind that cry with joy over acrylic baby blankies.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I made my nephew a hat for his birthday (he's ten now and holy crap I am an OLD lady).

Seems to like it! The pattern is free on Ravlery, I modified it very slightly so that the teeth are part of the red bit worked as fair isle, instead of separate triangular bits of knitting. It was a lot of fun to knit. I wish I'd taken a slightly better picture of the actual thing but oh well.

I've also been working on yet more socks - decided to do the self-imposed sock club again this year. If I actually knit twelve pairs of socks I'll only have four pairs of socks worth of sock yarn left over - which I think would mean I get to buy more, right? Maybe even join a real sock club.

They're the "Milo" socks from Cookie A's Sock Innovation (I have gotten quite a bit of mileage out of that book). Yarn is Cascade Heritage. I love these already even if I'm not 100% sure they will fit over my cankles very well.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

leishmania! posted:

Saw this neat article pop up on NPR's website this morning about Maryland prisoners "knitting behind bars". Sounds like a pretty rad program:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/01/08/144828657/at-one-maryland-prison-theyre-knitting-behind-bars

"Knitting provides everything you need to do — everything you should have learned in kindergarten. It teaches you how to focus. It teaches you how to make a task and meet that goal. It teaches you now to ... control your anger. ... All of these are skills are life skills, are job skills. ... Skills that, quite possibly, many people in our society are lacking."

Out here in California, a lot of prisoners learn to crochet. Apparently they believe it's harder to stab someone to death with a plastic crochet hook.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Oh yeah, knitting has definitely not taught me how to control my anger.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis
Hey I was diverted from another thread, I'm at a loss to find Nalbinding patterns anywhere online, does anyone have any links for patterns for scarves, hats, socks, etc. ?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Plasma1010 posted:

Hey I was diverted from another thread, I'm at a loss to find Nalbinding patterns anywhere online, does anyone have any links for patterns for scarves, hats, socks, etc. ?

While this is no help, I thought you were talking about these crazy german doily/lace things for a moment.

Then I realized you meant the thing with the one needle that takes forever. Doesn't one of the other goons here do that, or has done it?

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Plasma1010 posted:

This post has some info and also links: http://askthebellwether.blogspot.com/2007/04/what-is-nalbinding.html

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

FelicityGS posted:

While this is no help, I thought you were talking about these crazy german doily/lace things for a moment.

Then I realized you meant the thing with the one needle that takes forever. Doesn't one of the other goons here do that, or has done it?

Yeah, I picked it up a couple months ago.. haven't done anything interesting with it, though. There's a group of nalbinders on Ravelry that can help you get started here: http://www.ravelry.com/groups/nalbinders-on-ravelry

I just found this site thanks to the Ravelry group, and it looks pretty good! Has some simple instructions for mitts and socks and things. https://sites.google.com/site/neulakinnas/home

The site linked in the post above me is pretty good too. :)

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

Mizufusion posted:

Yeah, I picked it up a couple months ago.. haven't done anything interesting with it, though. There's a group of nalbinders on Ravelry that can help you get started here: http://www.ravelry.com/groups/nalbinders-on-ravelry

I just found this site thanks to the Ravelry group, and it looks pretty good! Has some simple instructions for mitts and socks and things. https://sites.google.com/site/neulakinnas/home

The site linked in the post above me is pretty good too. :)

This is excellent thanks so much. I knew I'd have to find some foreign website that I couldn't find on my own for the Nalbinding info.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
My sister wants me to knit her a tea cozy.

I'm not the best at knitting. I'm really not that good at all. But I really want to do this for her. Does anyone have any tea cozy patterns that are super simple?

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
This one looks pretty simple: http://www.castoncastoff.co.uk/blog/2006/04/10/time-for-tea/

Fenchurch
Feb 25, 2011
I'm making fingerless mits:

Based off the "Classic Mittens" pattern on Ravelry.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

For casting on, has anybody ever just used a Tunisian crochet hook to start your knitting? I'm a newbie knitter and just wondering if that would be feasible.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
I have two projects on the needles, a sweater that only needs to be blocked and seemed, and another that needs a sleeve then seaming (plus a hood when its together).

And I just spent ~$70 to make a Doctor Who scarf.

Fenchurch
Feb 25, 2011

Ms. Happiness posted:

For casting on, has anybody ever just used a Tunisian crochet hook to start your knitting? I'm a newbie knitter and just wondering if that would be feasible.

It might work, but learning a simple cast on such as a long tail will be valuable for future knitting.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

So, for this pattern:

http://filambulle.blogspot.com/2007/04/my-noro-hat-free-form-recipe.html

She said she did a k2p2 ribbing for six rows, but didn't really like how it turned out, and then recommends using a different ribbing for the brim.

Any suggestions?

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

Basic Beater posted:

So, for this pattern:

http://filambulle.blogspot.com/2007/04/my-noro-hat-free-form-recipe.html

She said she did a k2p2 ribbing for six rows, but didn't really like how it turned out, and then recommends using a different ribbing for the brim.

Any suggestions?

She doesn't say why she didn't like it. You could always do a k3p2 rib ( I think that fits in 80 stiches just fine) or a k1p1 rib to experiment

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
That pattern is terrible, I'd try a k1p1

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

That is a terrible recipe. I made a similar hat (Swirl Hat) and k2 p2 worked fine.

You could try a twisted rib instead.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Sooo...I just bought a sweater's worth of madtosh vintage at 1am this morning. ????? I have some Christmas money to throw around but still, yikes. I'm not usually one to impulse purchase, but someone on rav mentioned that wool prices are going up and I'm like...lawdy, better get my madtosh RIGHT NOW! 7 skeins in 'Amber Trinket' - my first purchase from Eat Sleep Knit, and I really like their website. I had been ordering from mryarn.com, but they seem to have stock issues - I think it's just a smaller shop, but I can never find more than 2 skeins of any one color in stock there.

I am SO looking forward to getting it in the mail. :3: Some added motivation to get my Twist off the needles...

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Do you guys mean it's terrible as in it's horribly written? 'Cause I totally see that.

Or do you guys mean it's terrible as in the hat will turn out poorly? 'Cause I can follow the pattern easily enough, I've just never really bothered with making a hat without a k2p2 ribbing, and she said she'd change it if she did it again.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Seriously poorly written

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Badly written. There's nothing wrong with that pattern. There's a lot of pointless waffle for a simple hat.