Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Zaodai posted:

If they listed the deeds of their ancestors he'd be forced to accept or lose face.

... oh.

"Ancestor 1: Total butthole.
Ancestor 2: Took being a total butthole to a new dimension!"

And so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

MJ12 posted:

The Kingfisher is a 90 ton, cherry, max-armor assault mech. It is not going to instantly brew up

I would like to comment on this, because while it seems correct at face value, it's actually not correct at all. Let me explain.

The Kingfisher is in near-perfect condition right now, yes. And Fishers do have a lot of armor. I do want to note, however, that its side torso armor is 28. Now, I'm not sure how PTN has the ammo distributed (whether it's four and four, or 8 in one torso), so there is some variability in terms of how vulnerable it actually is. But with the amount of incoming fire involved and the relatively significant probability of side torsos getting damaged by any given shot, 28 starts to seem like less than it should be. (Then again, no amount of armor is sufficient when you're getting shot on 7s or less for any period of time - that's why not getting blocked in and keeping move mods up is so important!)

What we do know is that in all likelihood at least one side torso has a boatload of ammo in it. Given the amount of weapons fire that the Kingfisher is facing, especially considering the presence of a sizable number of SRMs there, this means two things:

1. The probability of a side torso being breached and suffering a critical hit to ammo this turn is reasonably high compared to normal circumstances;
2. The probability of an ammo TAC being suffered to a side torso is reasonably high, because of the amount of shots and hit location rolls involved.

A critical hit being suffered by whatever location the ammo is in is almost certainly game over for the KF, since the damage from the ammo explosion will in turn likely crit more ammo and so on. The mech won't be outright destroyed thanks to CASE, but the pilot will almost certainly black out and/or die instantly. This is why the situation that KF is in is so bad right now. Something like this happening is far from guaranteed, but with the volume of fire involved and the low to-hit numbers for that fire, it certainly isn't a minor risk either.

This is why I suggested trying to draw fire away. It may or may not work of course (since PTN may or may not go for it), but reducing the amount of fire directed at the KF specifically would do a lot in terms of keeping it going. The KF, in turn, is the most important unit on the field for goonstar; losing it to something like this would be catastrophic.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Welp, Keru's in between a rock and a hard place. No good choices for him. Staying put and going rock&roll on Yorinage is perhaps the best option avaiable, given that trying to stomp into a building is just gonna end with a basement and/or the Kurita dogpile (and possibly the Otomo up on the ramparts) bringing the building down on his head.

Zaodai posted:

If they listed the deeds of their ancestors he'd be forced to accept or lose face.

... oh.

By the time he'd be finished listing all that, the entire rest of the 2nd SoL will be in position to dogpile on the Goonstar.

cwDeici
Oct 29, 2011

by Ozmaugh
On the bright side the Kingfisher gets to use its rear armour.
Two turns should be enough to bust it out! I'm giving it 60% odds of survival (of course survival comes with damage), just as a wild guess.

cwDeici fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 15, 2012

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Magni posted:

By the time he'd be finished listing all that, the entire rest of the 2nd SoL will be in position to dogpile on the Goonstar.

I was thinking more along the lines of none of them having direct ancestors because they're all genetically engineered test tube babies.

It's hard to speak of the badassery of your family line when you have no family.

Mausi
Apr 11, 2006

MJ12 posted:

With no movement mods for you or the enemy, you're autohitting Yorinaga barring any shielding shenanigans.
Do the to-hit mods make it worthwhile to aim at the head? It's nasty business if any of the two AC/20 round connect with someone's face. (Four rounds? Do Ultra rounds roll to hit separately?)

Though, the same applies to B's pair of ER PPCs - eep! - especially considering the Gunnery difference.

cwDeici
Oct 29, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Mausi posted:

Do the to-hit mods make it worthwhile to aim at the head? It's nasty business if any of the two AC/20 round connect with someone's face. (Four rounds? Do Ultra rounds roll to hit separately?)

Though, the same applies to B's pair of ER PPCs - eep! - especially considering the Gunnery difference.

Probably a better idea than whittling different body parts down... I'd say aim for the legs though!

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Zaodai posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of none of them having direct ancestors because they're all genetically engineered test tube babies.

It's hard to speak of the badassery of your family line when you have no family.

Couldn't I just brag about my bloodname or something?

Challenging Yoringa might be a good idea, actually. But that depends on if PTN will let us be that fluffy.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

IIRC PTN specifically said that the Dracs will not be honoring personal challenges in this situation because they aren't stupid.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Doing the maths things aren't *quite* as bad now as they are made out to be. The Kingfisher will probably suvive the backstabbing this turn, as the jumps in and Keru's movement put them on 9s.

Oddly, Akira is closer than Yorinaga so he's going to be at 9s with the PPC, but only 6s with the SRMs. Yorinaga is still very much the one to watch here. He's at optimum range for everything but the small lasers, so he's on 4s and 6s for that spread, resulting in 41-51 damage to the Kingfisher. It can take that, but it won't be happy about it and the Daboku will do bad things given half a chance.

If PTN rolls like I did last Wednesday then you might pull his rear end out of the fire with some good movement and fire next turn, and a few lucky TAC/heatshots wouldn't go amiss. My money is on targeting Yorinaga and letting Akira soak up anything he feels like. The kicks from behind are less likely to hit than the PSR to stay standing is to succeed so they can be ignored for this turn. Akira won't fall over either without terrible luck, so assume there's one hefty kick coming and plan for that weakening a leg badly enough that you need to get mobile again within a turn.

Oh, and I don't know if PTN will let you do it but you can charge Akira for no damage and force both him and Yorinaga back a hex, taking you out of rear-kick range, and if P3 declares a charge on S5 you'll conga line them along and be free next turn.

MJ12 posted:

P2 walks forward 2, turns, and methodically puts all 36 SRM-6s and his ERSL into the hardened building hex in which S3 is, then kicks the hex for good measure. You'll autohit, so you're guaranteed 72 points of SRM damage, and another 5 from the ERSL. A kick will also autohit, and do another 13 damage, dealing exactly 90, which should drop the entire building onto the Jenner and eliminate it, as well as setting up a flanking opportunity for P2 next turn and opening up a lane of movement.
This is not how SRMs work. Two turns is more likely, barring good missile rolls.

Zaodai posted:

I think a Clanner's codex contains the details of their geneparents lives too actually.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 15, 2012

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Arquinsiel posted:

Doing the maths things aren't *quite* as bad now as they are made out to be. The Kingfisher will probably suvive the backstabbing this turn, as the jumps in and Keru's movement put them on 9s.

The Kingfisher's movemod was for last turn. This time it is going to be on a +0. Lots of 7s.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Arquinsiel posted:

This is not how SRMs work. Two turns is more likely, barring good missile rolls.

Unless TW changed it, that is how SRMs work. If you are adjacent to a building, all missiles automatically hit.

Mausi
Apr 11, 2006

cwDeici posted:

Mausi posted:

Do the to-hit mods make it worthwhile to aim at the head?
I'd say aim for the legs though!
Looking at the Goonlance leg stats, a heavy mech can take two AC/20 hits to the same leg and maybe still be there next turn.

There was some talk on a prior page about how aimed shots still can end up hitting a different location from what was called. But even if the chance of one round hitting the head is (say) 15%, the chance of at least one of the four shots connecting is about 1 in 2*. Besides, going for the face is more :black101:

*: P(x) = 1 - (1-x)^4

MJ12 posted:

...barring any shielding shenanigans.

heh...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

KnoxZone posted:

The Kingfisher's movemod was for last turn. This time it is going to be on a +0. Lots of 7s.
True, I keep forgetting this is mid-turn movement. That changes them to 7s, 4s, auto, 4s and puts the rear kicks on 7s which doesn't *really* change things that much for the kicks.

Carbolic posted:

Unless TW changed it, that is how SRMs work. If you are adjacent to a building, all missiles automatically hit.
You are correct, seems I've been playing that wrong for a while. Best course of action either way. I appologise to MJ12 for incorrectly correcting him.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Arglebargle III posted:

IIRC PTN specifically said that the Dracs will not be honoring personal challenges in this situation because they aren't stupid.

Right, I forgot about that. Would be funny for PTN to write out the rejection for the turn fluff, though.

I know for sure that I'm going to attempt to core Yoringa's face in, but I'm still trying to figure out the best course of action for me movement-wise. That Thug (C) only has a standard PPC, so it can't shoot at Keru due to minimum range. So I don't really want to move far enough up that he'd be encouraged to fire at me. Having him not fire any PPCs at anybody would be great.

But, if I could encourage Yorinaga to fire at my 'mech instead of Keru's, that would be better for him. Running to 1518 or 1618 would put me in short range for his ERPPCs. So that may encourage him to fire at me instead of the Kingfisher. Or it might not.

I don't think I'll be in the firing arcs for any of the lights regardless of how far I move up, so I won't worry about them.

The folks in #megamek keep suggesting we set up a crazy congaline charge, where Der Waffle Mous (P5) charges at S5 and sets off a domino chain of falling mechs. That'd require Keru to stay put and get more dead. But it'd be loving hilarious.

E: \/\/ That's okay, I don't have a T-Comp anyways! By "attempt" I meant "pray for lucky dice"

E2: Since I made a stupid with edit permissions for the googledoc, the current discussion was moved to a new room.

GenericOverusedName fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 15, 2012

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
You, uh, you can't aim for the head with a T-Comp.

e: sorry, not you, that discussion was further up the page.

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 15, 2012

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Mausi posted:

Double-taps with Ultra ACs have to roll on the cluster hit table after passing the to-hit roll (7+ or one shot misses) and then roll seperate hit locations for each shot.

SageSepth
May 10, 2004
Luck is probability given way to superstition
21 pilots between me and ny turn, that's what 5 scenarios probably right? OK April will rock!

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

GenericOverusedName posted:

That Thug (C) only has a standard PPC, so it can't shoot at Keru due to minimum range.

It can still fire at minimum range, it just suffers a to-hit penalty for every hex inside the minimum range it is firing from. Since Akira is a 2 gunner, he is still firing on TH6.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Disable inhibitors :laugh:

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Carbolic posted:

Also the Hellbringer's SRMs are all Streaks. I mean, okay, there are some minor problems with my post but those aren't it.

Anyways, the idea of drawing fire isn't a bad one on its face, but honestly, the problem is that doing so means presenting very tempting shots on things which are not-your-90-ton-max-armor-mech. And similarly, are not guaranteed. Rock-and-rolling to smash the poo poo out of the Jenner and Yorinaga are... more guaranteed.

cwDeici
Oct 29, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Mausi posted:

Looking at the Goonlance leg stats, a heavy mech can take two AC/20 hits to the same leg and maybe still be there next turn.

There was some talk on a prior page about how aimed shots still can end up hitting a different location from what was called. But even if the chance of one round hitting the head is (say) 15%, the chance of at least one of the four shots connecting is about 1 in 2*. Besides, going for the face is more :black101:

*: P(x) = 1 - (1-x)^4

heh...

Oh that's right, assault mech legs are pretty tough, huh. Go headcaps! :)

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah, I'm guessing if conditions are exactly the same as this round it'd take on average 2.X rounds for the Kingfisher to die.

cwDeici fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 15, 2012

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Looking at it, I don't think things are nearly so bad:

P3 should stay at range, just because of that head, and blast Yorinage with ERLL
P4 should run (sans MASC) up the alley and blast the Thug
P2 turns his fat rear end around and marches up to 1117 and either pours fire into S4 and S5 or, if he's got LOS, S1 and S4 (hopefully crippling them before physical attack phase).
P5 full auto on Yorinaga, kick the Thug
P1 Flip off the Jenner, turn around, march to 1118 and blast S1/S4 or both depending on rolls and what P2 is doing.

Seriously, you should be able to keep the Kingfisher from being kicked twice by the lights, which isn't such a big deal, but still, put a lot of particles down range on Yori and his pal, and have your entire star concentrated for the next round.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

cwDeici posted:

Oh that's right, assault mech legs are pretty tough, huh. Go headcaps! :)

You cannot target a `Mech's head unless it's immobilized and you have a targeting computer.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Is that a TW change? I distinctly recall the 4e box set and BMR not having that restriction.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

You cannot target a `Mech's head unless it's immobilized and you have a targeting computer.

I don't think you need a targeting computer, it just gives you a pretty massive penalty. I think it removed the immobile bonus to hit then gives it another +2.

So unless he's immobile and prone and adjacent you're shooting at a pretty bad penalty, worse if the immobile mech is prone and at range, which gives its own penalty.

Then you only have a certain chance of hitting the aimed location.

Mausi
Apr 11, 2006

Felime posted:

...a pretty massive penalty... a pretty bad penalty... then only a certain chance of hitting...
I was hoping someone who has / knows the tables would be able to state all these penalties and give a number for x, the chance of a shot headcapping, and thus P(x) = 1 - (1-x)^4, the probability of mech death.

Followed by either "It's a good number, we'd already thought of that" or else "That won't work because ... but thanks for contributing". In this case ... is "GM says No" so it doesn't look like that idea goes much further. But it would be pretty :black101: for the Kingfisher to be the bait *and* the trap.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's about 3% per shot. You can't specify the head in a called shot either as above, and targeted headshots are only possible against immobile targets, most immobile (mech) targets are also prone and far away.

In short: never hinge your entire plan on making one headshot.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
You know I'd think your guys who are very deep into the BT lore would be cheering for the Dracs just to see who PTN would write in as the new Ilkhan and what chaos it would bring to the universe.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Most of us are

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Trast posted:

You know I'd think your guys who are very deep into the BT lore would be cheering for the Dracs just to see who PTN would write in as the new Ilkhan and what chaos it would bring to the universe.

Meh, we had a 'new Ilkhan mid invasion' plotline in the original timeline. I'd quite like to see what happens when there's no need to stop the invasion mid-course.

Plus, I'm cheering for the Clans on principle. High tech and innovative trumps backwards and regressive. :colbert:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
As much as I dislike Lair Seidman I don't want the invasion to take a smoke-break yet. Though Grier Siedman as Khan of Hell's Horses would be a joy to behold.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
I'm rooting for Goonstar just to spite that butthurt nutcase who keeps switching Shadowdragon's avatar.

Seriously, it's just a game, stop getting so offended that he's playing this differently than you would.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

legoman727 posted:

I'm rooting for Goonstar just to spite that butthurt nutcase who keeps switching Shadowdragon's avatar.

Seriously, it's just a game, stop getting so offended that he's playing this differently than you would.

You do realize that it's like 30 people and that his current actions don't have much to do with it beyond the delicious tears, right?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Grier Siedman is noncanon and only appeared in the mission where Comstar was trying to capture the Comm Station, right?

Why are you guys so fond of him?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, judging by hints sprinkled throughout the thread there's some bad blood between SD and a sizeable number of Goons who also frequent the #megamek channel.

But no matter who loses in this spat, there's only one winner in the end: Lowtax. :v:

Artificer posted:

Grier Siedman is noncanon and only appeared in the mission where Comstar was trying to capture the Comm Station, right?

Because he don't take no guff.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Trast posted:

I just want the clans to lose because they are huge tools (I know, despite the low bar and everything).

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
We're so fond of him because he was a badass.

If anyone really wants to know what the story is with it they can ask in #megamek and someone will give them the TL;DR version.

I don't actually advise this, but it is an option.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Artificer posted:

Non-canon and minor BT characters are the best kind. Also he was hard as gently caress in the HPG mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'm just hoping the kill counter goes way, way up before this thing is decided. A few lights run over has hardly whetted my appetite, and Goonstar going down in a blaze is insufficient. If the Coordinator lives, he better be the very last thing on the field!

Also more headshots killing named, canon characters please.

• Locked thread