Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It looks like it adds significant bulk though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Mu Zeta posted:

It looks like it adds significant bulk though

Yeah.

If I'm reading the site right:

Kindle - 6.5" x 4.5" x 0.34" 5.98 ounces
Kindle with that case - 7.9" x 4.7" x 0.72" 13.56 ounces

That's almost on par with the original Kindle 1 (8.0" × 5.3" × 0.8" 10.2 ounces). I still like the concept of it.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Sporadic posted:

Nice, a third-party company came up with a solar case with a built-in light. $80 but if it works the way they say it will, it could be worth it.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/07/solarkindle-cover-basks-in-the-suns-rays-charges-for-days-and/#continued

http://www.solarmio.com/en/SolarKindleLightedCover.aspx

Its pretty cool if you're traveling and don't want to bring a charger, but if you're home I don't see the point, since the batteries last so long.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Vegetable posted:

I have serious issues with my Nook Simple Touch's resolution at close proximity. Sometimes I just like to bring the reader nearer to my face to vary my position and you can really see the pixels around the font. Maybe it's better with the Kindle. Anyway at a normal reading distance you really won't notice it.

I was going to give you poo poo about yours being defective, but it looks like some of the serif fonts do fuzz up, I guess from an attempt at aliasing. I use Gill Sans and it's flawless, and I'm nearsighted.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The Kindle I bought as a gift for my GF this Xmas still isn't showing ads, so... that's neat. Not something I am really going to investigate that much though.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

smackfu posted:

The Kindle I bought as a gift for my GF this Xmas still isn't showing ads, so... that's neat. Not something I am really going to investigate that much though.

Has it not been online yet?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Drunk Tomato posted:

Has it not been online yet?
No, it's been on wifi since the day we got it, and has been getting new book purchases. Just no ads.

It is on my Prime account, and I have a no-ads Kindle 3 on the same account, but I wouldn't think that would matter.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Amazon is having a lightning deal on the lighted kindle touch leather case. :10bux: off at $49.99, lasts another 2 hours.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005PB2T3U?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Cartoon Man posted:

Amazon is having a lightning deal on the lighted kindle touch leather case. :10bux: off at $49.99, lasts another 2 hours.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005PB2T3U?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Personally i would skip this if you have a kindle w/ offers, as they have had several 50% off coupons for the official case in the last few months.

Edit: Whoops, this is the touch case, not the keyboard case. Ignore me.

Drunk Tomato fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 11, 2012

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Is there a blog that updates when the kindle special offers change? I have a no-ads Kindle, but sometimes I turn ads back on for a day just to see what's available. It would be easier if this info just showed up in my Google Reader.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

HolySwissCheese posted:

Is there a blog that updates when the kindle special offers change? I have a no-ads Kindle, but sometimes I turn ads back on for a day just to see what's available. It would be easier if this info just showed up in my Google Reader.

Check out this thread. bandit64 does a pretty good job.

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Just ordered my Kindle 4, all this talk about 79 USD ad-supported kindles is making me jealous as I paid 160 USD for mine shipping and taxes included.

However I am glad that I no longer have to carry (so many) 1000-page books or squinting at long articles on my 3GS-sized Android smartphone. :pwn:

AbandonShip
Dec 25, 2007

I got a Nook simple touch recently, and am absolutley in love with it. Just picked up a case for it, and wanted to leave the link here since some people have asked (Haven't seen it in the last bunch of pages). Lots of really quirky, cute but very functional and reasonably priced covers for nooks and kindles of all ages.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_electronics?_encoding=UTF8&node=172282&field-brandtextbin=JAVOedge

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Drunk Tomato posted:

Check out this thread. bandit64 does a pretty good job.

Thanks, this is great.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*
Can you return books from the Kindle Lending Library straight from the device? I thought I returned it straight from my Kindle the first time but now I can't figure out how (without logging into my amazon account at least).

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

dominator posted:

Can you return books from the Kindle Lending Library straight from the device? I thought I returned it straight from my Kindle the first time but now I can't figure out how (without logging into my amazon account at least).
If you try and borrow another one, it will show you a screen saying you already are borrowing a book and asks if you would like to return it.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

smackfu posted:

If you try and borrow another one, it will show you a screen saying you already are borrowing a book and asks if you would like to return it.
Yeah thats what I thought I did the first time but this time it was saying I was at my monthly limit (even though I wasn't since I was able to get the new book after returning on my account). Oh well, thanks!

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Oh hey dominator.

Also, what's the best case for the Kindle Fire? I'm looking for something with a flap to cover the screen that I can just flip over when I want to read, along these lines: http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Lightweight-MicroShell-Folio-Marware/dp/B005V2EVBQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326407658&sr=8-1

Of course, that could be the best one but what do I know, so I come to goons for advice.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Tell me about textbooks on a Kindle Fire (or name another device if you think a better option exists, I prefer Android to Apple offerings but feel free to sway me). I know this has probably been asked before but I'm not having much luck with the search feature.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Totally TWISTED posted:

Tell me about textbooks on a Kindle Fire (or name another device if you think a better option exists, I prefer Android to Apple offerings but feel free to sway me). I know this has probably been asked before but I'm not having much luck with the search feature.

you might want to wait a week:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-57357054-17/apple-to-host-january-19-education-event-in-new-york/

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Apple would launch something textbook related after the semester starts.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Totally TWISTED posted:

Apple would launch something textbook related after the semester starts.

Well, if they announce it now, textbook makers might actually have something for Fall.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Fall 2013. The Fall 2012/Spring 2013 material's already printed. :shobon:

FuriousMagician
Nov 16, 2009
In Calibre, I've noticed most of the books I've added have a summary or description included. Is there any way to get these to display on a rooted Nook touch?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
There is an option in there under conversion I think, that says encode the metadata for the first page.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Splizwarf posted:

Fall 2013. The Fall 2012/Spring 2013 material's already printed. :shobon:

Scheduled for a December graduation. Welp.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Totally TWISTED posted:

Scheduled for a December graduation. Welp.

The upshot here is you're almost done. :)

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

If it's anything like how Apple handled their eBook store, you'll be able to purchase a digital copy of a $200 textbook for $200.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Junkenstein posted:

Are these Kindle 4 screensaver images available anywhere?

Also, any good sites to get custom ones? I've exhausted http://kindlewallpapers.tumblr.com/ for anything decent.

I can't understand why Amazon are so protective of what their device shows when sleeping. Having the option of using the cover of the last book you read before turning it off is such an obvious good idea.

Thanks for the link - there were a few there I didn't have on my Kindle keyboard. If anyone likes XKCD, there's a pack of 700 odd XKCD comics pre-formatted to fit the kindle screen floating around on a few sites. Always nice for a laugh here and then.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

New Kobo Touch owner here. Pretty convinced that it's worth owning, so far... I can scan my choral music sheets to PDF, use Calibre to get them converted as ePub, and have it all sitting in the Kobo, which is :aaa: for reals!

Now to go utterly broke buying most of Discworld.

Fid
Dec 2, 2010

'Bout time this town had
a new Sheriff

strangemusic posted:

New Kobo Touch owner here. Pretty convinced that it's worth owning, so far... I can scan my choral music sheets to PDF, use Calibre to get them converted as ePub, and have it all sitting in the Kobo, which is :aaa: for reals!

Now to go utterly broke buying most of Discworld.

Is the Kobo higher res than a Kindle? I can't imagine being able to read the intricacies of sheet music on one of these screens at this size

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fid posted:

Is the Kobo higher res than a Kindle? I can't imagine being able to read the intricacies of sheet music on one of these screens at this size

All the 6 inch e-ink readers are the same resolution.

Dark Paw Bear
Jan 6, 2012

by angerbot
Does anyone know of a generic charger that I can get for my Touch Edition PRS-600. I somehow lost the charger within the past couple weeks :(

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Dark Paw Bear posted:

Does anyone know of a generic charger that I can get for my Touch Edition PRS-600. I somehow lost the charger within the past couple weeks :(

Any PSP charger should do it.

Blinky13
Apr 24, 2008

Totally TWISTED posted:

I'd like to hear about this, too - any input, anyone? I don't mind missing out on paying a premium to beta test Apple products, so it's just as well what ever the new thing is won't appear on time for me either.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Did the Iriver Story HD ever actually code out? it was promising a much higher rez screen paired with terrible Iriver jankiness.

(The Iriver Story case flexed and squeaked!)

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Blinky13 posted:

I'd like to hear about this, too - any input, anyone? I don't mind missing out on paying a premium to beta test Apple products, so it's just as well what ever the new thing is won't appear on time for me either.
I've gone ahead and taken the plunge on the Kindle Fire (arrives Wed.). If I were to buy used books and sell them back that would probably be the cheaper option but I'm telling myself that keeping these higher level books will be useful in the future and that not having to carry around all those books will be nice. That's my justification anyway. I'll come back with a more detailed report on Wednesday.

Blinky13
Apr 24, 2008

Totally TWISTED posted:

I've gone ahead and taken the plunge on the Kindle Fire (arrives Wed.). If I were to buy used books and sell them back that would probably be the cheaper option but I'm telling myself that keeping these higher level books will be useful in the future and that not having to carry around all those books will be nice. That's my justification anyway. I'll come back with a more detailed report on Wednesday.

The price difference for some of the Kindle editions, plus not having to carry books is plenty of justification. Plus more often than not, the buyback is a little unfair, unless they change editions, in which case it's nonexistent. Let me know how it goes.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I haven't recharged my Kindle Touch since Christmas, even after daily use. This thing owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I haven't recharged my Kindle Touch since Christmas, even after daily use. This thing owns.
It's great, but I wish the Kindles were more in your face about low battery warnings, since you can ignore the battery so much of the time. I don't think they have something like the iOS "20% battery left" popup, for instance.