Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

djhaloeight
Jan 23, 2007

techno mafia.
I recently got back into the hobby. When I was younger I had a bunch of Tyco and Nikko toy grade cars. Still have my Tyco 9.6V Lamborghini but something is burned out on it and it doesn't work anymore. I'm tempted to take it apart and convert it to hobby electrics with a new motor.

I bought a cheap-rear end Extreme Machines toy/hobby grade 1/16th truck from my buddy at work for $20 bucks. Ripped out the shoddy unreliable electronics and installed a Team Associated XP SC200 ESC along with a Futaba radio system. Little bastard does just about 20mph, and now its actually fun since its got electrics that don't cut in and out.

After messing with that for a few weeks I picked up a Tamiya TT-01 BMW E30 M3 Schnitzer assembly kit. Got some hop up parts on the way. Yeah, I think I've been bitten by the bug again. I want to pick up a Traxxas Stampede 4x4 VXL as my next truck/basher. Need funds first. This thread was sort of an inspiration to get back into it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

djhaloeight posted:

I want to pick up a Traxxas Stampede 4x4 VXL as my next truck/basher. Need funds first. This thread was sort of an inspiration to get back into it. :v:

As the resident Stampede evangelist, I have to approve of that. The new 4x4 pede is sweet, and many of the parts cross over with the Slash, of which parts are everywhere.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Olde Weird Tip posted:

As the resident Stampede evangelist, I have to approve of that. The new 4x4 pede is sweet, and many of the parts cross over with the Slash, of which parts are everywhere.

Hell yeah it's fun. I should be getting the new rear stub axles in today.

skippo
Jun 9, 2006

TotalLossBrain posted:

Hell yeah it's fun. I should be getting the new rear stub axles in today.

You can also get every replacement Stampede part (that I've ever needed) off eBay. Being in Australia I can't buy Traxxas or upgrade parts very easily, so eBay is awesome!

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I was just in a shop that I like because they always have some boxes of used RC vehicles and parts, etc for cheap. I asked the owner what the easiest way to bind cars to something like a DX7, and he told me no way, its too dangerous because you might fly some ones plane into the ground nearby. :okpos:

So, what is the easiest way to bind a dx7 to a car? What rx can I buy that can do this?

Can't I just make a heli model in my tX so the throttle has a dead zone in the middle and up is forward and back is reverse? I'm pretty sure I saw some crawler guys doing this in a video posted here, although I'm not sure it was a dx7.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
as long as you have a spectrum reciever in the car, it should bind as normal.

I could go try it out...

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

ease posted:

I was just in a shop that I like because they always have some boxes of used RC vehicles and parts, etc for cheap. I asked the owner what the easiest way to bind cars to something like a DX7, and he told me no way, its too dangerous because you might fly some ones plane into the ground nearby. :okpos:

So, what is the easiest way to bind a dx7 to a car? What rx can I buy that can do this?

Can't I just make a heli model in my tX so the throttle has a dead zone in the middle and up is forward and back is reverse? I'm pretty sure I saw some crawler guys doing this in a video posted here, although I'm not sure it was a dx7.
dude was probably old. Before 2.4 GHz, there were dedicated 'surface' and 'air' bands; 27/75 MHz and 72 MHz respectively. It was, according to the FCC illegal to operate a surface RC vehicle with an aircraft frequency.
2.4GHz spread spectrum modulation however is much different. You're transmitter will search for one of I believe 80 different 'channels' within the 2.4 GHz range and find an open one and lock to it. Your receiver is 'bound' to your radio and locked into that channel. It is impossible for someone else to get in to disrupt that. Should the chance that 80 2.4 GHz radios were on within range of eachother, and number 81 was to turn on, it simply wouldn't transmit until a frequency becomes available. It's pretty :science:
That being said, you need a 'Spektrum' brand receiver to bind to your DX7, and it will work fine, but will be funky feeling to drive since the throttle gimbal is non-centering; unless you like cruise control for your truck?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The Velion brushless motor in my Stampede 4x4 burned up yesterday. I'll see if Traxxas replaces it, but I'm leaning towards replacing it and the ESC with something beefier. They get too hot too quickly.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Really? My velinion got beat to death in my 2wd Stampede, then transplanted to my 4x4 slash and raced for an entire winter, took two dives into a river, and is still going strong. No heatsinks or anything. Just replaced the bearings once they got noisy.

I'm not sure if mine is a fluke or yours, but I havent heard much about them burning up.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The magnets became separated from the rotor shaft, which I read is caused by heat. It was running on a 2s LiPO, stock gearing, in loose sand at the time.
Just fifteen minutes before that, my buddy's Rustler VXL burned up the Velion ESC after unplugging the battery.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

TotalLossBrain posted:

The magnets became separated from the rotor shaft, which I read is caused by heat. It was running on a 2s LiPO, stock gearing, in loose sand at the time.
Just fifteen minutes before that, my buddy's Rustler VXL burned up the Velion ESC after unplugging the battery.

Running a car with a borked rotor with magnets separated from the shaft CAUSES heat due to the motor running hilariously inefficient. It's unlikely you got it hot enough to destroy the bond between the two. More likely it just worked its way loose during normal operation. It's rare but I have seen rotors go bad in this way before (mainly in Tekin T8 1/8th motors).

In other news... Big race weekend! First time I traveled for a race. Novak was the title sponsor of this trophy race at Hobbytown Hobbyplex in Omaha. If you ever are in the area stop by and check this place out. loving phenomenal facility with a huge, awesome track.

There were nearly 200 entries for this race! I raced three classes - Stock 2wd buggy, mod 2wd buggy, and mod 4wd buggy. TLR team driver Cody Turner and Bob Novak made the trip from CA to the Midwest for this race! I didn't do too shabby considering the competition and the fact I've never been on a track even REMOTELY this size... took home a little hardware :dance:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
It's going to Traxxas for RMA. The tech support guy said it's caused by "excessive heat" because it causes the epoxy to fail. This neatly implies that it's my fault. He did also say that they'll most likely just replace it for free.
I'm still toying with the idea of replacing the Velion system with a Castle Mamba Max Pro ESC and a 2400kv motor

skippo
Jun 9, 2006

I've got a Stampede xl-5 converted to a Velineon system (among other things).

So twice now my rear LHS wheel nut has come loose and the hex nut and wheel have both worn down to circles.

Is there some alloy part I could replace the stock Traxxas hex nuts with? I found this but it's not on the Stampede xl-5 parts list so I'm not sure about the size.
ebay link

Any other tips or solutions?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I had the same thing happen and I just used red locktite on the nut. That solved it.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

skippo posted:

So twice now my rear LHS wheel nut has come loose and the hex nut and wheel have both worn down to circles.

Is there some alloy part I could replace the stock Traxxas hex nuts with? I found this but it's not on the Stampede xl-5 parts list so I'm not sure about the size.
ebay link

Get some STRC wheel hex hubs. The locknut is 4MM nylon lock nuts that will wear out over time. Traxxas sells some that have a serration on the back (I want to say number 1747X if memory serves me right). Get those, they'll dig into the face of the wheel and resist coming loose.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I had this problem a lot with my savage, the solution was the clamp on style alloy hexes for the wheels (to stop you losing the pin when it all goes to poo poo) and then getting lock nuts with serrated faces.

the clamp on hexes I used also had some extra surfaces on them to bite into the wheels better. although by the end of it I just bought some of those beadlocker wheels as the hexes were much strong than the HPI crap I was using. Proline wheels are also really strong.

for some reason most people were converting to or buying trucks pre-fitted with the buggy style hexes also. not sure why but they seemed a little better.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I'm picking up a used Castle MMP ESC and 2400kv motor up tonight. I guess I'll sell the Velineon combo once I get the motor back from Traxxas.
I think I'll need to gear up so as not to loose too much speed.

djhaloeight
Jan 23, 2007

techno mafia.
Well, I pulled the trigger on a silver Stampede 4x4 VXL. Tower Hobbies had the "easy pay" option which made it a no-brainer to me. Three payments is a lot more digestible than one big one :v:

So what lipo do you guys recommend for this beast?

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

TotalLossBrain posted:

I'm picking up a used Castle MMP ESC and 2400kv motor up tonight. I guess I'll sell the Velineon combo once I get the motor back from Traxxas.
I think I'll need to gear up so as not to loose too much speed.

When you're ready to sell this let me know. A coworker of mine is looking for a second Velineon system to put in a boat.

Edit -

djhaloeight posted:

Well, I pulled the trigger on a silver Stampede 4x4 VXL. Tower Hobbies had the "easy pay" option which made it a no-brainer to me. Three payments is a lot more digestible than one big one :v:

So what lipo do you guys recommend for this beast?

As much as I'd like to say go support your local hobby shop (if you have one) they're almost always ridiculously overpriced on batteries. Check out GensAce and Turnigy nanotech batteries. Get something at least 5000mah, 40c.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

skippo posted:

ebay link

Before you go nuts with alloy stuff. Try a set of RPM wheel hexes (and RPM wheels if you need to replace wheels). I had the same issues until I went to the RPM bits. They fit much tighter than the Traxxas hexes, which is the primary cause of those nuts backing off.

Also make sure to keep the hex nut and wheels clean. Sand and grit will wear them down.

The best solution I found was using the wheel nuts that have the nylon lock ring in them. The ones with the flanges and ribs on the back of the nut always worked their way loose.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
another thing to consider if you're changing tires all the time or removing them frequently to clean them is that nylon insert wears out. Either throw a dab of blue loctite on your axle or regularly replace your wheel nuts.

djhaloeight
Jan 23, 2007

techno mafia.

needknees posted:

When you're ready to sell this let me know. A coworker of mine is looking for a second Velineon system to put in a boat.

Edit -

As much as I'd like to say go support your local hobby shop (if you have one) they're almost always ridiculously overpriced on batteries. Check out GensAce and Turnigy nanotech batteries. Get something at least 5000mah, 40c.

Yeah, I'm not trying to spend an arm and a leg on batteries. I went there looking for parts for my TT-01 but they only carry Traxxas and Losi stuff for onroad stuff. Everything else is planes, model trains etc. At least I know if I bust an a-arm or something they'll have it.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
RC yellow 300z drift vid. Checked last 3 pages and didn't see it:

http://www.streetfire.net/video/amazing-rc-car-drift_2356995.htm

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Say what you like about RC drifting, but those are truly some really really good skills. Properly drifting an RC car can be HARD (if it's not set up right) and that guy has clearly spent a lot of time practicing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Uh yeah, that guy was lining things up perfectly. I'm impressed with myself if I can drift my Slash for a couple feet.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I got the Castle motor & ESC installed in my Stampede yesterday night. It took some customization and I have OEM screws left over.
Programming the ESC sounded intimidating, but was pretty easy.
Figuring that this 4 pole 2400kv motor would have more torque than the stock 2 pole 3500kv motor, I changed from the stock 11t pinion to the 19t one. The lower kv motor also turns lower RPM's.
I tried it only briefly last night, but on a 3s LiPO it was pulling wheelies at any speed on grass and asphalt.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You wouldnt think this is an R/C car video at first, but then it kind of turns into one. As well as a copter video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te0V71sGoxA

Thats actually a cool concept for a chase cam

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 13, 2012

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I ran my Stampede in the parking lot at work today. Holy poo poo, it's power galore everywhere!
I broke the wheelie bar on a cart wheel crash, though. Now I'm pulling backflip after backflip, out of control. :ohdear:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The coolest thing with the Stampede is to get it going like 20mph, then nail the throttle and watch the front end come up.

Its best done in front of people who dont really know R/C cars because they're always all :aaaaa:

skippo
Jun 9, 2006

So cool to hear everyone bashing around in Stampedes :)

Thanks for the suggestions on hubs etc. When it's repaired I'll put some pics up. Pity it takes so long for parts to arrive in Australia from the US :(

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Uh, now I keep breaking the plastic wheel hexes on the rear wheels. The cross bars dig them out completely within 15 minutes. Time for stronger parts again

skippo
Jun 9, 2006

TotalLossBrain posted:

Uh, now I keep breaking the plastic wheel hexes on the rear wheels. The cross bars dig them out completely within 15 minutes. Time for stronger parts again

Well, sucks for you, but at least I know when I upgrade again I'll probably have to get some alloy parts!

djhaloeight
Jan 23, 2007

techno mafia.
Well I found a much bigger and well stocked hobby shop a bit farther from my house. I picked up a Venom 5000mah 2S 20C lipo. I read some mixed reviews about Venom online, but the price was right, and I didn't want to wait for it to get shipped. I balance charged it with my Thunder AC6 and took it for a spin. The difference between it and the included NIMH is definitely noticeable. Run time is way better also. I like it so far. I'll pick up a Gens Ace 40C pack when they are back in stock online. So far, so good though.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Went to the local hobby store looking for an HPI Savage Flux HP.

Walked out with this:

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
Your going to love that setup! I'm running a Ve8 with the Tekin RX8 system and it hauls rear end. Ended my nitro days. Sadly I bought it last summer and the two tracks near me closed up the next month. Still haven't raced it.

Jealous of the RC8.2e.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Update: 1/8th scale diffs are the bane of my existence.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

kuffs posted:

Update: 1/8th scale diffs are the bane of my existence.

Easier to deal with than 1/10th scale ball diffs :colbert:

It must have been new kit weekend, cause I spent a good chunk of yesterday building this puppy

And this is going to top it off

Can't wait to run it! TRUCK IS FUCKIN BACK!

needknees fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 16, 2012

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I spent like all of today putting mine together

It's real easy to work on once it's together, but it sure seems like the manual has you go about assembling it the hard way.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

needknees posted:

Is that battery hard soldered to the ESC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Is that battery hard soldered to the ESC?

90* 4mm bullet plugs

I run pretty much all my 1/10th stuff this way now. Less chance of a plug coming loose, cleaner wiring, easy to change the plug out when it gets loose. Just don't plug it in backwards.... ;)