Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

tomguycot posted:

Completely agreed. I thought that maybe it was just wishful thinking on my part but everything really does seem to run a bit smoother with this update. Hell, I was already happy with the phone but between this and the improved battery life I'm positively blown away. I really hope they don't mess up the ICS update like they did some of the froyo to gingerbread updates because in my opinion the phone is near perfect right now.

ICS with Sense is going to be as ugly as GB with Sense is. AOSP ICS is much better, I've been on an ICS ROM for just over a week now and I could never go back to Sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

big mean giraffe posted:

ICS with Sense is going to be as ugly as GB with Sense is. AOSP ICS is much better, I've been on an ICS ROM for just over a week now and I could never go back to Sense.

Isn't Google going to make manufacturers follow at least some UI rules so that ICS looks relatively consistent across all devices?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

brc64 posted:

Really? Weird. I've had it working off and on before, but eventually gave up trying.

Yeah, I'm not sure if there is any other way to get it working. The only solution I could find scouring the internets was to call them and get a static IP. Supposedly L2TP will work without a static IP, but PPTP won't, which is what my server is. :o:

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

brc64 posted:

Isn't Google going to make manufacturers follow at least some UI rules so that ICS looks relatively consistent across all devices?

Not exactly. All Google is doing is forcing OEMs to include Holo theme files. So HTC, Samsung, and Motorola can skin ICS into oblivion, but since they have to include the stock theme files, it will be easier for developers to create apps that will look the same on all devices.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...ith-their-apps/

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
I really don't notice the 3D being that much smoother, but I'm using GO launcher which is always really smooth.

I tell you what they most certainly did change though. The ring flying toward you animation when you unlock the phone is now a solid 60FPS. Before it was probably half that.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

The Entire Universe posted:

gently caress me, the 3d update made this phone even more buttery than it was before. I actually went back to Rosie (previously used Zeam launcher) to see the impact there and I'll be damned if it isn't smooth as hell even on Rosie.

It's loving amazing.

The only update I got for the 3d was for program updates. Is that the update everyone is talking about?

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

fyallm posted:

The only update I got for the 3d was for program updates. Is that the update everyone is talking about?

No. If your phone didn't reboot to install you didn't get the update we are talking about.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.
My Evo3D has recently had an unresponsive touchscreen around the area where the keyboard spacebar is located (right above the capacitive buttons). Also, it now sporadically begins to have phantom key presses register randomly.

1. I am rooted (S-ON) via HTC's HBoot 1.5
2. I had Toast's CM7 alpha installed and tried installing a new ROM (scrosler's Senseless ROM) - both had the same issue. To note, I had CM7 installed for months without this issue until just two days ago.

What should I do? I don't pay for TEP. I'm actually tempted to pay my ETF and go to Verizon or ATT for other phones, but know that I wont really love them for various reasons.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

big mean giraffe posted:

ICS is great but sense gingerbread isn't exactly terrible. Honestly, trying out sense honeycomb on the view is encouraging, its pretty close to stock, is really smooth and really is not bad at all.

I'm pretty sure I can dig up a quote from you back in July about how sense 3.0 is just as good as stock gingerbread :)

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Jeratain posted:

My Evo3D has recently had an unresponsive touchscreen around the area where the keyboard spacebar is located (right above the capacitive buttons). Also, it now sporadically begins to have phantom key presses register randomly.

What should I do? I don't pay for TEP. I'm actually tempted to pay my ETF and go to Verizon or ATT for other phones, but know that I wont really love them for various reasons.
Surely taking the phone to the Sprint repair center and paying them to fix/replace it would be cheaper than an ETF and purchasing a new phone, even without insurance.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

I'm pretty sure I can dig up a quote from you back in July about how sense 3.0 is just as good as stock gingerbread :)

Yeah because stock GB was pretty fugly too, where as ICS looks fantastic. And the leaked ICS ROM for the Sensation looked very 2.3.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jeratain posted:

2. I had Toast's CM7 alpha installed and tried installing a new ROM (scrosler's Senseless ROM) - both had the same issue. To note, I had CM7 installed for months without this issue until just two days ago.

$35 and any sprint repair center will repair it if they have the part, and if they don't they will swap it out. Only bummer with that is obviously regaining root. Worst case you could even swap out a touchscreen panel yourself, although the 3D is actually a pretty tough repair.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Jeratain posted:

I'm also having weird touchscreen problems and ghost touches on my 3d. It happens on any rom I'm on, but I almost think it only started when I installed boot manager.

I'm getting pretty frustrated waiting for cm9, and also want to jump ship or get the nexus when it comes out.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I had that issue until I got rid of no lock. It could be something you have installed that's conflicting with rosie.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Nah, don't think so. Rosie doesn't exist on AOSP roms.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

ease posted:

Nah, don't think so. Rosie doesn't exist on AOSP roms.

Oops didn't see you weren't on stock.. I would back up everything and then hard reset.. If it doesn't happen on a clean phone then you at least know it's not hardware

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.
Thanks everyone. I'll try going back to full stock and see how that goes. Going to another Sense ROM from ASOP hasn't helped the issue, so if that doesn't work then ill head to Sprint. I'm considering paying an ETF because I get subpar service in my area and am wary of Sprint's network vision since the other days news.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Jeratain posted:

Thanks everyone. I'll try going back to full stock and see how that goes. Going to another Sense ROM from ASOP hasn't helped the issue, so if that doesn't work then ill head to Sprint. I'm considering paying an ETF because I get subpar service in my area and am wary of Sprint's network vision since the other days news.

I am psyched!
http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/01/13/sprints-1900mhz-network-vision-is-nice-but-the-800mhz-rollout-will-drop-your-jaw/

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Since they eliminated the discount on additional lines, is it cheaper to just have a 2nd account instead of a family plan if you can get a discount on that account?

I'm trying to consider my options when I eventually get married, and want to see what is cheaper. She has AT&T. Ideally, we would like to move to one plan, two phones, both have data.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Even with the change in discount structure, using my discount of 23% as an example, it's still cheaper to keep a 2 line Everything Data family plan thn have 2 discounted singe line plans.

Currently it looks like this: $129.99*(0.77)=$100.09 +$10data(x2 lines)=$120.09
Discount only on line 1: $110*(0.77)=$84.70+19.99=$104.69+$10(x2 lines)=$124.69
Two individual lines: $69.99*(x2 lines)*(0.77)=$107.78 +$10(x2 lines) =$127.78

EDIT:
Did some Everything Plus Referral Plan math for people that are shopping. With the discount structure change, you would need ~15% larger discount to continue to break even with EPRP family plans.
code:
1 line EPRP: $59.99          +$10 data      = $69.99    14.3% discount
2 line EPRP: $109.99         +$10(x2 lines) = $129.99   18.2% discount (old was 15.4%)
3 line EPRP: $109.99+14.99   +$10(x3 lines) = $154.98   22.7% discount (old was 19.2%)
4 line EPRP: $109.99+14.99*2 +$10(x4 lines) = $179.97   27.3% discount (old was 23.1%)
5 line EPRP: $109.99+14.99*3 +$10(x5 lines) = $204.96   31.8% discount (old was 26.9%)

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 16, 2012

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!
I called Retentions yesterday, and they authorized a 2.5 month early upgrade early upgrade to an iPhone 4s.

My EVO 4G and I had some good times, but I'm tired of tinkering and tweaking, flashing ROMs and radios. I also had a Seidio extended battery that was really close to death, with a broken battery door, so I really needed to either upgrade or replace it.

So my Sprint history now looks like this: HTC Mogul, Touch Pro, Touch Pro 2, EVO 4G, iPhone 4S 64GB.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

CombatMedic posted:

I called Retentions yesterday, and they authorized a 2.5 month early upgrade early upgrade to an iPhone 4s.

My EVO 4G and I had some good times, but I'm tired of tinkering and tweaking, flashing ROMs and radios. I also had a Seidio extended battery that was really close to death, with a broken battery door, so I really needed to either upgrade or replace it.

So my Sprint history now looks like this: HTC Mogul, Touch Pro, Touch Pro 2, EVO 4G, iPhone 4S 64GB.

Did they authorize it on the first try or did you have to call a few times?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

As long as you have a history they usually (emphasis: usually) run it through the first time.

I had 2 customers over the weekend buy out their upgrade, one that was due in May ($40 buyout) and one that was due in August ($60ish buyout). Both of those got approved no problem. I had one customer who wanted to buy out the contract, upgrade and move the phone from her parents' name to her name. Unfortunately I was an idiot and transferred her phone to her name first, so Sprint literally wouldn't let her buyout the upgrade, instead she just added a new line and canceled that one (thankfully she wasn't too attached to the number). So yeah, as long as you have more than a day's account history with Sprint, they seem to still be doing the buyouts.

To caution on the flip side, unofficially Sprint has always been willing to bump upgrades if you are within 2 weeks. Apparently this is now getting cut back on. Its not yet the 18th so I haven't been able to try it yet.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

First try. I'm on the Everything 450 plan with no late payments.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

As long as you have a history they usually (emphasis: usually) run it through the first time.

I had 2 customers over the weekend buy out their upgrade, one that was due in May ($40 buyout) and one that was due in August ($60ish buyout). Both of those got approved no problem. I had one customer who wanted to buy out the contract, upgrade and move the phone from her parents' name to her name. Unfortunately I was an idiot and transferred her phone to her name first, so Sprint literally wouldn't let her buyout the upgrade, instead she just added a new line and canceled that one (thankfully she wasn't too attached to the number). So yeah, as long as you have more than a day's account history with Sprint, they seem to still be doing the buyouts.

To caution on the flip side, unofficially Sprint has always been willing to bump upgrades if you are within 2 weeks. Apparently this is now getting cut back on. Its not yet the 18th so I haven't been able to try it yet.

Would it be best to call and bump upgrades for a GNex now or wait until it releases? Does bumping an upgrade automatically stop your service until you restart it? I have an EPRP account and would I be able to just sign up for EPRP again on the site and just chose the GNex with my same number?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Would it be best to call and bump upgrades for a GNex now or wait until it releases? Does bumping an upgrade automatically stop your service until you restart it? I have an EPRP account and would I be able to just sign up for EPRP again on the site and just chose the GNex with my same number?

-Always wait until you actually want to do it. ETFs decrease monthly.
-Bumping an upgrade does not stop service. That would result in angry customers :)
-Upgrading doesn't change your base plan unless you have a non-data plan and are getting a smartphone. Yes, you may see add ons like the $10 smartphone tax, but your base plan and options stay the same. In either case, you just upgrade like normal through authorized channels. In cases where you have EPRP, simplest way is to call employee care (reminder: EPRP MUST go through corporate Sprint). In the case of normal users, anything from Sprint, Best Buy, Amazon, etc is fine.

A general reminder that upgrade buyouts are not an official promo from Sprint, but rather a retentions offer. Usually they are very nice about it, but it is at their discretion whether they will do it or not (they have a ratings system of sorts on how good of a customer you are).

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

CombatMedic posted:

How much did they end up charging you for the phone in the end if you don't mind me asking? My contract is up in 2 weeks myself.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

-Always wait until you actually want to do it. ETFs decrease monthly.
-Bumping an upgrade does not stop service. That would result in angry customers :)
-Upgrading doesn't change your base plan unless you have a non-data plan and are getting a smartphone. Yes, you may see add ons like the $10 smartphone tax, but your base plan and options stay the same. In either case, you just upgrade like normal through authorized channels. In cases where you have EPRP, simplest way is to call employee care (reminder: EPRP MUST go through corporate Sprint). In the case of normal users, anything from Sprint, Best Buy, Amazon, etc is fine.

A general reminder that upgrade buyouts are not an official promo from Sprint, but rather a retentions offer. Usually they are very nice about it, but it is at their discretion whether they will do it or not (they have a ratings system of sorts on how good of a customer you are).

Thanks for the information and putting up with my questions! So basically I call retentions, get the upgrade approved, call the Employee Care number from the OP and ask for the GNex that way instead of doing it online?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

I had 2 customers over the weekend buy out their upgrade, one that was due in May ($40 buyout) and one that was due in August ($60ish buyout).
I thought the minimum buyout was $50. How much would a buyout be for April 1?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Thanks for the information and putting up with my questions! So basically I call retentions, get the upgrade approved, call the Employee Care number from the OP and ask for the GNex that way instead of doing it online?

The important part is getting the upgrade reset. Once that happens you can upgrade via online or phone, talking to a physical person is just more reliable sometimes.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I thought the minimum buyout was $50. How much would a buyout be for April 1?

This isn't your department, so that's a question for retentions. I would call them and ask.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I recently moved to Chicago, and am having astonishingly annoying and unreliable data speeds here. I use 3G because 4G isn't really reliable enough to leave on and use all the time, and I just never know when data is going to poo poo the bed or not. I'll have full or nearly full bars on the reception meter, and web sites or facebook will take forever to load - or not load at all. I've been updating my profile and PRL to try to see if that helps, but it never really seems to. Ideas?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

The important part is getting the upgrade reset. Once that happens you can upgrade via online or phone, talking to a physical person is just more reliable sometimes.

Alright, thanks!

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.

ShaneB posted:

I recently moved to Chicago, and am having astonishingly annoying and unreliable data speeds here. I use 3G because 4G isn't really reliable enough to leave on and use all the time, and I just never know when data is going to poo poo the bed or not. I'll have full or nearly full bars on the reception meter, and web sites or facebook will take forever to load - or not load at all. I've been updating my profile and PRL to try to see if that helps, but it never really seems to. Ideas?

Chicago sucks for Sprint. This is the conclusion i've arrived at after living here for about a year and a half. No building penetration, and even when I'm outside in an area that should have full coverage a lot of time I get no data whatsoever.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Is it still a pain in the rear end to get corporate stores to sell you phones if you have EPRP? When the Evo 4g came out, most people on EPRP couldn't buy in store.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

helsabot posted:

Chicago sucks for Sprint. This is the conclusion i've arrived at after living here for about a year and a half. No building penetration, and even when I'm outside in an area that should have full coverage a lot of time I get no data whatsoever.

Well, this sucks....

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Really depends where you are in the city. I'm in Ravenswood and my coverage is great at home.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

CombatMedic posted:

Replace the TP2 with a BB Curve and we pretty much have the same smart phone history with Sprint. I also had several dumbphones with Sprint but that feels like a lifetime ago.

r3plica
Feb 29, 2008

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is it still a pain in the rear end to get corporate stores to sell you phones if you have EPRP? When the Evo 4g came out, most people on EPRP couldn't buy in store.

I had no issues getting my brother and roommate evos last december/january and my 3d this past summer here at a corporate store.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Has something changed with the loyalty account value data on the Sprint site? I got curious as to what they have me currently rated at and it's coming up as 20. I could have sworn it was out of 10.

I really can't think it's terribly great since I'm a SERO freeloader, but I'm honestly not sure how to interpret this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

helsabot posted:

I find the opposite, although I don't live there, I just visit 2x a year. Hell, in the burbs, coverage is amazing.