Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I've been following since the beginning but yeah it's time for me to throw my $50 in. I really am looking forward to seeing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chesh
Apr 19, 2004

That was terrible.
I am waiting until February to throw my money in, but I will definitely be in.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Why... Why would I want some weird version with new sound, new script, new editing, new music and goddamn visual effects in Manos? :psyduck:

Are they... are they trying to fix Manos? :stare:

Sounds more like he is trying to make the original Manos fit into his poo poo sequel.

He is pulling a "Star Wars Prequel" move.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
hat Manos sequel looks like it's going to be awful but I can't resist rooting for an underdog. I hope it's somehow, against all odds, a legitimately enjoyable movie.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Why cookie Rocket posted:

hat Manos sequel looks like it's going to be awful but I can't resist rooting for an underdog. I hope it's somehow, against all odds, a legitimately enjoyable movie.

I stop rooting for the underdog when it becomes rabid and starts biting my leg. gently caress that guy. How can someone be so smug about anything this... Inconsequential. A thing like that should be a labor of love, not an bloated ego.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I stop rooting for the underdog when it becomes rabid and starts biting my leg. gently caress that guy. How can someone be so smug about anything this... Inconsequential. A thing like that should be a labor of love, not an bloated ego.

It's kind of like if there was a kid at the special olympics who talked smack like Ted Diabiase. Yeah he's ridiculous and an rear end in a top hat, but part of me wants to see him actually live up to his insane hype. Additionally, I want all the returning cast members to have appeared in a good movie. :unsmith:

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
On the newspaper stuff front, there's good news and bad news. The good news is that most of the things I had were usable, and only two pages were destroyed in 14ish years of sitting in boxes, mostly in my garage.

One of them was the "Massaged to death" article that someone else already posted. That one didn't rip, but the words bled off to the back of the page it was stuck to.

The other one was the main non-color-reversed "poster". I sent most of the non-color reversed stuff in to Jamie Plummer all those years ago. I printed some of these out because I thought they might be easier to read.

I've only had time to do two pages but they're scanned in 300dpi. Again, we're working with 14 year old paper printed off 40+ year old newspapers. I hope this is useful for the project or for anyone who wants to do something with them:

I should have everything else done tonight.

We may want to consider finding a UTEP goon who wouldn't mind spending time in the UTEP library basement for newer and better printouts. (I moved to Dallas a few months after I found this stuff in the first place, haven't been back in years.) It shouldn't be that hard for someone else to find this stuff since we know the dates of the movie release. Back when I did all the searching in the early days of the internet, all I had was an approximate year.

Ben Solo
Oct 23, 2004

I take care of the place while the Master is away.
We're getting close to the midpoint of the fundraiser. I can't believe that we're already within spitting distance of $25,000! To properly say thanks, I'll be working on a special treat over the weekend that everyone can enjoy...

Annakie posted:

I've only had time to do two pages but they're scanned in 300dpi. Again, we're working with 14 year old paper printed off 40+ year old newspapers. I hope this is useful for the project or for anyone who wants to do something with them:

Amazing! It's great to finally see these newspaper articles in a form other than the same low-res files that have been passed around for so many years.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011
:stare:

This thread is officially awesome.

I've always found film restoration fascinating, and I can't think of a more deserving film. Donated $25.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

Ben Solo posted:

Amazing! It's great to finally see these newspaper articles in a form other than the same low-res files that have been passed around for so many years.

Thanks! I hope you don't think I'm hijacking the thread with all this!

I also realized that some of this is from the El Paso Herald-Post, which went out of business I think sometime in the early 90's. I'd completely forgotten El Paso used to have two major newspapers.

Here's the rest of the stuff:

http://www.annakie.com/manos/quality.jpg

http://www.annakie.com/manos/masterpic1.jpg

http://www.annakie.com/manos/article2.jpg

The print-out of the review I posted. This is sort of top and bottom of the same page:

http://www.annakie.com/manos/review1.jpg

http://www.annakie.com/manos/review2.jpg

Annakie fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 27, 2012

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades
I just bought a TomTom GPS and couldn't help but notice that their logo reminds me of Manos:

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Bluecobra posted:

I just bought a TomTom GPS and couldn't help but notice that their logo reminds me of Manos:

How much do I need to put in the Kickstarter to get Torgo on my GPS?

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

WindyMan posted:

"The Master says turn right ahead..."

CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007

WindyMan posted:

:): Hey TomTom, can I get directions to the mall?
:zombie: There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon.
:confused: What? I just want to go to the mall.
:zombie: There is no way out of here.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
His stammering will definitely make you miss your turn.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
I had a bad day at work. What do I do when I come home late and pissed off? Put on my MST3K DVD of Manos and donate to Ben's amazing restoration project to cheer myself up, of course. I've been laughing a lot. :) In all truth I've been meaning to donate for a while but had a serious case of laziness. Or maybe Torgo-style footdragging.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Seriously he sounds like the worst kind of person you meet in the movie industry, all talk no walk, and still feels the need to bag on others

He says he's making his own restoration, it's been how long and we've seen how much progress exactly? Yeah, that's what I thought

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Thanks for those scans Annakie.

There's something wonderful about seeing Manos and The Professionals being discussed in the same article.

Ben Solo
Oct 23, 2004

Annakie posted:

Thanks! I hope you don't think I'm hijacking the thread with all this!

Not at all! This is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping would pop up when I posted this thread.The t-shirt designer I'm working with went nuts over the newspaper ad when I showed it to him. He wants to vectorize the movie's ad logo- I'll be sure to post it when he does.

Remember when I said I was working on a special treat? Well here's a little preview: an image you're all familiar with, now in startling 2k straight from the Scanity:

[edit] Oops, Imgur compresses these things... better quality here.

Ben Solo fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jan 15, 2012

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Holy crap!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Wow! That grain can only be described as delicious. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
That looks incredible.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ben Solo posted:

Not at all! This is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping would pop up when I posted this thread.The t-shirt designer I'm working with went nuts over the newspaper ad when I showed it to him. He wants to vectorize the movie's ad logo- I'll be sure to post it when he does.

Remember when I said I was working on a special treat? Well here's a little preview: an image you're all familiar with, now in startling 2k straight from the Scanity:

I've always thought she was a striking woman but I'm still amazed by this.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Ben Solo posted:

Got this pic though the kickstarter email, checking it on my HTC Evo phone hand having that pic just pop up on the screen was a bit creepy!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Wow. That's amazing.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Angela Christine posted:

Wow. That's amazing.

Can someone find a screenshot from the old dvd/MST3K still of that scene? The work you put into it so far is amazing. I can't wait to see the final product, Ben Solo.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

From the Shout DVD:barf:

Whatever print the MST guys had was even better than that.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 15, 2012

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Rirse posted:

Can someone find a screenshot from the old dvd/MST3K still of that scene? The work you put into it so far is amazing. I can't wait to see the final product, Ben Solo.

I grabbed this from the PD DVD from Alpha Video:

It's somewhere in between.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Man, it's literally night and different. Weird how clean the MST3K print was to the DVD.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I love how it seems she's wearing a completely different shirt or that you can't even tell she's wearing a necklace.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Ben Solo posted:

That's incredible, you're incredible.

Still no spare money to give you, unfortunately, but now that I've seen your work, I'm definitely going to donate.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Ben, in what ratio are you going to present the finished restoration? It's obvious that previous versions cropped the hell out of the print and, since we're talking about the necklace, it would be a shame for stuff like that to get cut out.

Ben Solo
Oct 23, 2004

Wow, we've got enough comparisons in here now to make your head spin! When I saw the first 2K images come up and could finally see Margaret's freckles, I knew I was in for a treat.

The MST print is 'better' because it did in fact come from Emerson Films (and I have what I think is the same transfer on Betacam SP). The Alpha / Shout Factory release apparently comes from a collector's print, and is riddled with splices and cuts.

Young Freud posted:

Ben, in what ratio are you going to present the finished restoration? It's obvious that previous versions cropped the hell out of the print and, since we're talking about the necklace, it would be a shame for stuff like that to get cut out.

What you see here is about how I would like to present it: the full frame from edge to edge. This will require a slight windowbox on the home video, but I think it's worth it.

There will be a side effect of this choice, though- full frame will allow you to see the occasional bit of debris printed on the edge of the image that came from dirt or hair in the film gate during shooting. Since those are notoriously difficult to remove digitally and were, after all, always present on the film, I'm thinking it might be best to leave the majority of them in. The same goes for light leaks from the camera, which are sometimes visible on the right edge of frame. I'll bring the image as close as possible to how it looked right out of the camera, but I won't make any revisions to the image itself- none of the huge moths that wander into frame will be digitally removed while we're at it.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

This is just getting me more and more excited. I'm really curious to see if the film is any more watchable with such a pristine picture. Some of the shots in the movie are actually pretty nice to look at. I think I'm starting to forget how much of an affront to storytelling this film actually is. Still, I'm buying this the minute it's available.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Ben Solo posted:

There will be a side effect of this choice, though- full frame will allow you to see the occasional bit of debris printed on the edge of the image that came from dirt or hair in the film gate during shooting. Since those are notoriously difficult to remove digitally and were, after all, always present on the film, I'm thinking it might be best to leave the majority of them in. The same goes for light leaks from the camera, which are sometimes visible on the right edge of frame. I'll bring the image as close as possible to how it looked right out of the camera, but I won't make any revisions to the image itself- none of the huge moths that wander into frame will be digitally removed while we're at it.

This is really good news.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ballz posted:

I love how it seems she's wearing a completely different shirt or that you can't even tell she's wearing a necklace.

Or that her eyes actually have color to them.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The flatbed scans were nice enough, but I'm genuinely surprised by the crispness of the Scanity work. It's like every grain was captured intact. This is going to be demo material for Blu-Ray.

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME
I don't have a Bluray player and I will still buy the poo poo out of this. You are a hero and I love you.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ShadyNasty posted:

I don't have a Bluray player and I will still buy the poo poo out of this. You are a hero and I love you.
Blu-ray players have been really dropping in price lately, you could probably find one for fairly cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Solo
Oct 23, 2004

It's no coincidence that this particular reel (which amounts to 1/7th of the film) was chosen for the first scan: it's in the best condition of the bunch. It is visually representative of the quality we will aim for during our digital clean-up, and believe me, some sections of the film will really need those extra donations to properly cover the labor involved in fixing them up. When I post some test clips soon you'll be seeing an image that is more or less raw, with uncorrected damage, and synched up to the public domain soundtrack. Not ideal, but if you could see what I'm seeing here you'd want to share it too!

Egbert Souse posted:

The flatbed scans were nice enough, but I'm genuinely surprised by the crispness of the Scanity work. It's like every grain was captured intact. This is going to be demo material for Blu-Ray.

Not to imply that one specific scanner can automatically make things look great, but in experimenting with the resulting files I can see that there is tremendous latitude for us to work with, plus damage information already in the alpha channel that will save us a great deal of time later. It's no wonder Criterion likes this scanner so much for archival elements that exist in poor shape, like Island of Lost Souls.

Fortunately Manos is only around 70 minutes or so, which means we can be fairly generous with the bitrate of the Blu-ray. It will take a bit of testing, I'm sure, to determine which codec will treat the grain the best.

• Locked thread