Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I bought Neverwinter Nights 2 during the steam sale because I love me some western rpgs. However, I'm the type to get immediately stressed out and overwhelmed when faced with a character creation screen that requires you to choose a race, sub-race, sign, blood-type, whatever. In fact, I felt so overwhelmed that I gave up a few minutes in.

Is there anything I should know that might make character creation a bit more bearable? I'm just worried I'll gimp my character before I even begin and will end up finding out 5 hours down the line.

Some general gameplay tips would be appreciated as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

PantsBandit posted:

I bought Neverwinter Nights 2 during the steam sale because I love me some western rpgs. However, I'm the type to get immediately stressed out and overwhelmed when faced with a character creation screen that requires you to choose a race, sub-race, sign, blood-type, whatever. In fact, I felt so overwhelmed that I gave up a few minutes in.

Is there anything I should know that might make character creation a bit more bearable? I'm just worried I'll gimp my character before I even begin and will end up finding out 5 hours down the line.

Do you know any D&D? Brushing up on the mechanics of 3rd Edition D&D will really help. It's possible to make nearly anything into a workable build, though some will be better than others (rogues rely on sneak attack damage heavily and many enemies are sneak attack immune, clerics are easy mode, mages shouldn't multi-class except to mage sub-specialties) usually the basic classes are pretty decent. If you check some guides you can really make some broken builds but you shouldn't need to, and with console commands, you can always remove your levels and give yourself the xp back so you can relevel to your satisfaction if you want to make a change. You get tons of options of party companions so you can consistently have companions who can do what your player character isn't good at. Really, a basic understanding of D&D 3rd Edition rules and how hits and damage and saves and so forth are determined is what you want. If you have a hardcopy, the manual should have it covered. In fact, even if you only have the pdf, I do remember the NWN2 manual being particularly good for a game manual - it might be worth a read.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

PantsBandit posted:

NWN2 (and NWN before it) basically assume that already you know AD&D 3.5. The manual contains all the rules you need to know, but the game doesn't really try to teach you. If you don't know D&D and want to learn it, there's a fuckton of info on the net, just look around. (caveat; the current version of D&D is 4.0, which is so massively different that it's practically a new game. Fortunately, many many people are still clinging to 3.5)

If you know a bit about D&D, go with a fighter, wizard, or monk, and just choose the default options. IMHO, the only really weak class is the rogue.

A few random tips about NWN2:

Spellcasters are god mode starting around lvl 8 or so. You can rest almost anywhere, so you can blow your entire wad on each encounter, rest, repeat. Stoneskin and Greater Stoneskin in particular break the game completely. Also, monks become godly at around lvl 8; they hit hard, have great AC, and are immune to most status effects.

The main quest is a yawner. Some say it's awful, I just think it's unengaging and lazily done in parts. When you get to the trial, just mash buttons at random; the result is the same no matter what. Also, when you get a fort and people are asking you how to improve it, just mash the responses until it's eventually all done. The expansions are better.

Yes, Neeshka is annoying. Yes, you have to take her. When you get to Neverwinter, you can kick her in the box and make her stay at the inn. (well, you can leave her.)

Following Khelgar's storyline gives him an uber-weapon.

When you're done, check out some of the fan-made modules. Like all user content, 99% of them are pure crap, but since roughly 683 bazillion were created, that translates to several dozen that are well worth playing. Find a good community rating site, like nwvault.ign.com

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jan 14, 2012

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

The only tip I have for character creation is to pump up the suggested stats, such as strength for fighters/intelligence for wizards etc. If you spend a little time looking at the manual you can check out the feats available to your class at later levels and tailor your stats and feats accordingly (you get to choose a new feat/add a stats point every other level or so). You don't have to know what feats to pick to kick rear end, but part of the fun is being so god-like later in the game. If you don't feel like doing much research, just pick fighter or monk and go gently caress poo poo up.
Also one of the feats, 'whirlwind attack,' looks really cool but it actually sucks so don't get it.
And the trial leads to the same ultimate result but it takes different paths to get there and is probably the most dramatic the game gets so I wouldn't recommend random choices.
It's definitely worth a playthrough. Not one of the greatest games ever but its sequel Mask of the Betrayer probably is, and it will pay off to know what you're doing as it is quite a bit more difficult.

Gaggins fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jan 14, 2012

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Didn't know where to ask this. This thread seems close enough.

I picked up Okami for PS2, and Okamiden for the DS. Which do I play first?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Gynovore posted:

The main quest is a yawner. Some say it's awful, I just think it's unengaging and lazily done in parts. When you get to the trial, just mash buttons at random; the result is the same no matter what. Also, when you get a fort and people are asking you how to improve it, just mash the responses until it's eventually all done. The expansions are better.

The trial was one of the best parts of the game. Do not 'mash buttons at random', what kind of advice is that? It's weird that you even single out those parts, since your advice technically applies to the whole game.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

rizuhbull posted:

Didn't know where to ask this. This thread seems close enough.

I picked up Okami for PS2, and Okamiden for the DS. Which do I play first?

Play Okami first, Okamiden is a sequel.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Just beat Torchlight for the first time as an alchemist, and I want to try the hardest difficulty setting as a vanquisher.

1) What should I do before retiring my character?
2) Whats the most overpowered, game-breaking setup possible as a vanquisher?

Thanks!

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

PantsBandit posted:

You really shouldn't worry about race apart from stat bonuses and penalties. If a class looks like what you want to play, either just pick Human as they're pretty good at everything, or a race/subrace that gives bonuses to stats that are important to the class. Religion doesn't matter in any significant way beyond a bit of flavor text if you choose a god that's important in the expansion.

The only class that I'd strongly recommend you avoid is Rogue, as they're basically neutered by having to fight lots of enemies that are immune to their sneak attacks. There IS a feat that can fix that, but you won't qualify for it until in the expansion. Plus, traps are almost completely non-threatening and late in the first act you can get a magic item that can open all the locked chests you'll find from that point on.

If you want something that's easy to build so you don't have to worry about being gimped, it's pretty hard to gently caress up a Fighter or Barbarian.

Also, if you need it, I wrote up a crash-course for people unfamiliar with the D&D 3.5 ruleset here.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 14, 2012

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The trial was one of the best parts of the game. Do not 'mash buttons at random', what kind of advice is that? It's weird that you even single out those parts, since your advice technically applies to the whole game.
I am glad I was not the only one who was wondering if that entire response was supposed to be a joke that only people who actually played the game would get.

Other than Khelgar's quest giving him a super-weapon, I disagreed with every single thing he said. I do not remember Neeshka being the least bit annoying, or being forced to keep her around. I do, however, remember Grobnar, the greatest NPC this side of Baldur's Gate, and finding the main quest to be extremely entertaining. I finally sort of cared about the Githyanki/Githzerai in general! Not even Planescape: Torment made me care about them in general!

EDIT BECAUSE I SORT OF HAVE AN ON-TOPIC QUESTION

What I want to know Before I Play Dead Space is: should I play Dead Space? What I mean is, what kind of game is it? Is it basically Resident Evil/Silent Hill in space? I found the controls and fun of those games lacking to the point that I would never have been able to play them myself, even if I thought they were both excellently atmospheric. Is that going to be how I feel about this, too?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Quarex posted:

What I want to know Before I Play Dead Space is: should I play Dead Space? What I mean is, what kind of game is it? Is it basically Resident Evil/Silent Hill in space? I found the controls and fun of those games lacking to the point that I would never have been able to play them myself, even if I thought they were both excellently atmospheric. Is that going to be how I feel about this, too?

It's a lot more like Resident Evil 4 than it is like Silent Hill or earlier RE games. That is to say, it's more of an action than a horror game, but a fairly slow-paced one that places an emphasis on ammo conservation and precisely placed shots rather than lightning reflexes.

Personally, I quite enjoyed it. It's not really scary, but it's pleasingly atmospheric and the shooting is lots of fun. The story and writing are nothing to write home about but they aren't as hilariously terrible as RE4, either.

DS2 is basically More Of The Same, except the level design isn't as good and the plot is even more bland and forgettable; I'd give it a miss and just play through DS1 again on new game +, personally.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Dead Space is basically Resident Evil 4 but in space. If you disliked the control scheme in RE4 you won't like Dead Space. It is not very similar to Silent Hill or the earlier REs with their awful controls.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

Dead Space is basically Resident Evil 4 but in space. If you disliked the control scheme in RE4 you won't like Dead Space. It is not very similar to Silent Hill or the earlier REs with their awful controls.

The controls are actually a bit better in Dead Space since you can move and shoot at the same time.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
In regards to Dead Space, I feel its worth playing of you have a decent set of headphones. The sound design adds a lot to the game. Since you're looking for atmosphere, I think you would really enjoy it.

edit: vvv Resident Evil 4 is a 'frustrating mess'?

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 15, 2012

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

blackguy32 posted:

The controls are actually a bit better in Dead Space since you can move and shoot at the same time.

Yeah, Dead Space's controls are much better than Resident Evil's. As you said, you can move and shoot at the same time, which adds a LOT, and you can also strafe freely, which also helps. The game actually plays like a proper third person shooter rather than a frustrating mess.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I got Warhammer 40k Dawn of War II along with Chaos Rising and Retribution as a gift during the steam sale. I've never played any Warhammer games and haven't played an RTS game since Warcraft 3. Is there anything I should know before I fire it up and try to get into it? Things to avoid?

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Gynovore posted:

Following Khelgar's storyline gives him an uber-weapon.
And that weapon is a warhammer, so it would be a good idea to have him focus on those instead of Dwarven Waraxes (which is the weapon he starts with).

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

ToxicFrog posted:

DS2 is basically More Of The Same, except the level design isn't as good and the plot is even more bland and forgettable; I'd give it a miss and just play through DS1 again on new game +, personally.

I found Dead Space 2 to be superior to Dead Space 1 in that they took everything I enjoyed from the game and embraced the schlock. I will admit that the pacing doesn't hold a candle but it does have its moments.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

TheShrike fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 18, 2016

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

edit: vvv Resident Evil 4 is a 'frustrating mess'?

I would go that far, but the controls really are pretty awkward, even considering that you're trying to play a shooter using a gamepad. If you're coming at it from Dead Space or most other third-person shooters I could see it generating a lot of frustration.

Although, compared to earlier Resident Evil games, it feels like the control scheme was sung into being by a chorus of angels.

Mayor McCheese posted:

I found Dead Space 2 to be superior to Dead Space 1 in that they took everything I enjoyed from the game and embraced the schlock. I will admit that the pacing doesn't hold a candle but it does have its moments.

The main issue I had with DS2 is that the core gameplay felt pretty much identical, but the actual levels were way less varied and interesting than the levels in DS1. I don't know, maybe I'm only remembering the good bits from DS1, but the fact of the matter is that I do remember a lot of the levels of DS1, where I'd be hard placed to describe any area in DS2 and I just played it last month!

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I thought that this was a prime example of lazy game design.

In a nutshell, agents of the corrupt city of Luskan accuse the player of murder and demand that you be extradited, whereupon you will surely be executed. However, political maneuvering lets you stand trial in Neverwinter instead. You travel to several locations to gather evidence to defend yourself, then go through an immense stack of dialog options during the trial, many using the player's dialog skills. But in the end, it makes no difference at all what you did or said; the trial is decided by a boss fight.

This reminds me of that part in Indiana Jones, where he has to find the Holy Grail to heal his father, and after much tribulation arrives in a room with, like, fifty possible grails. Indy agonizes over his choice, and finally draws upon his knowledge to pick the right one. The old dude says "you have chosen... wisely", and Sean Connery is back to his curmudgeonly Irish self. I felt like, after spending half an hour working out which was the right cup, the guy said "meh, it didn't matter, they're all the same." In other words, lazy writing.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Gynovore posted:

This reminds me of that part in Indiana Jones, where he has to find the Holy Grail to heal his father, and after much tribulation arrives in a room with, like, fifty possible grails. Indy agonizes over his choice, and finally draws upon his knowledge to pick the right one. The old dude says "you have chosen... wisely", and Sean Connery is back to his curmudgeonly Irish self. I felt like, after spending half an hour working out which was the right cup, the guy said "meh, it didn't matter, they're all the same." In other words, lazy writing.

:psyduck: The dude who picked the wrong cup aged away into dust in seconds, so yeah, agonizing over the choice and choosing the right cup (which he did) did matter.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

CaptainRat posted:

:psyduck: The dude who picked the wrong cup aged away into dust in seconds, so yeah, agonizing over the choice and choosing the right cup (which he did) did matter.

Re-read his statement. He said that having the NWN 2 trial be settled with the same boss fight either way would be like if the guardian of the grail didn't give a poo poo and the result would be the same no matter which grail was chosen.

It's kind of a bad example, but I can agree with what he was thinking.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 15, 2012

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I got Warhammer 40k Dawn of War II along with Chaos Rising and Retribution as a gift during the steam sale. I've never played any Warhammer games and haven't played an RTS game since Warcraft 3. Is there anything I should know before I fire it up and try to get into it? Things to avoid?

-Vanilla Dawn of War II and Chaos Rising are based on squads each lead by a hero character. The heroes can be equipped with different weapons and armor. Which heroes you take is your choice but you should always take whichever ones you feel suit the mission

-Retribution is more like an RTS game than the main game and Chaos Rising (Which are both limited to the four hero squads) You have four heroes but they do not have squads and capturing buildings allows you to build units and vehicles.

-In Retribution you get the resources it cost to build a unit back when that unit dies. Remember this during hard battles so you can queue up a new unit as soon as you can.

-In Chaos Rising your characters can become corrupted by Chaos. While corruption gives you powerful abilities and allows you to equip new weapons you get a worse ending depending on your corruption level.

OptimusShr fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 15, 2012

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Warhammer 40k Dawn of War II
The game includes a lot of "hard counters" (rock-paper-scissors matchups). The original campaign introduces new unit types gradually, so you'll get a chance to discover these matchups as you encounter new types of enemies. It's possible to alter the balance via wargear (e.g. default Avitus is anti-infantry; Avitus with a lascannon is anti-vehicle), squad selection (e.g. Thaddeus cannot withstand concentrated small arms fire but Tarkus can) and character progression (e.g. the Force Commander can specialize in ranged weapons, although it's a bad idea to actually do so). Effective use of combat abilities can also shift the balance in your favour: Thaddeus will get shot to ribbons if he charges an entrenched enemy squad, but if he makes an Assault Jump into their position then he'll leave them scattered and broken.

Very few of your weapons will cause friendly fire damage. It's perfectly acceptable to charge your Force Commander into an enemy unit and then shoot indiscriminately into the resulting melee; your bullets will find their mark. Be aware that most bosses can't be permanently "tanked" in this manner; they'll walk past (or through) your fighters in order to disrupt your heavy weapons.

Zoom in occasionally. Many of the melee sync-kill animations are worth watching close-up.

Each of your squads will have a half-dozen different abilities, so you won't get full effectiveness out of them unless you have godly micromanagement skills. The co-op campaign feature cuts this workload in half, so give it a try if you're feeling overwhelmed. Retribution offers an alternative: you can swap out your micromanagement-hungry heroes in exchange for larger swarms of "dumb" units.

You have a "retreat" command (hotkey: X), which is a very effective "panic button" since retreating units receive an armor bonus and enemies will rarely pursue them (note: CPU only; human adversaries will employ nasty tricks to stunlock and slaughter your retreating forces). You can also get a lot of mileage out of the attack-move command (e.g. attack-move 3 of your squads towards the target and they'll take cover as needed, allowing you to focus your attention on micromanaging the fourth squad).

Increased difficulty does not make the CPU opponent more clever, nor does it increase the number of enemy units that you'll face. It simply gives each enemy unit greater toughness and firepower, which forces YOU to play more cleverly (e.g. by exploiting cover and denying it to the enemy).

The game is moddable, but multiplayer game modes will be locked out if you're running ANY mods at all (even if you've only messed around with the single-player campaign files). It allows for some fun possibilities, though, such as outfitting your entire tactical marine squad with flamethrowers, or replacing your Force Commander with a Howling Banshee exarch.

Once your team has reached level 20 in the original campaign, you might as well run through the final mission. It isn't necessary to complete all of the side missions. You'll notice that many of the late-appearing missions provide tantalizing wargear rewards. However, only the gear that your strike force actually CARRIES into the final mission will be imported into the Chaos Rising campaign; the rest of your armory will be lost (this isn't a bug, it's part of the story). Caveat: there are a few optional super-bosses that you might want to fight, regardless of rewards, simply to hear the post-mission party banter.

"The Last Stand" has two maps. Stick with The Bloodied Colosseum until your character reaches level 10 or so; surviving The Anvil of Khorne requires anti-vehicle firepower which low-level characters simply can't have provide.

They've fixed the major memory leak, but the game still isn't very well optimized. Be prepared to lower your graphics settings from the auto-detected defaults, especially if you're playing multiplayer.

The multiplayer chat is a terribe cesspit of racism, memes, unblockable flooding, and bitching about Steam. Matchmaking is a bit fussy because you need to select a specific game type such as 3v3 (there's no "join any game ASAP" option). This factor, combined with the small playerbase, means that you might find yourself waiting for several minutes without any apparent progress. Custom (unranked) games sometimes fill up quickly, but you can't queue for multiple matches simultaneously. If any of your Steam friends play DoWII, then you may be able to skip a lot of the multiplayer headaches via invites.

LoveisOver
Aug 8, 2011
Any good advice for Hulk: Ultimate Destruction?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

LoveisOver posted:

HULK SMASH EVERYTHING

(There's nothing to know besides there's one lovely mission where you have to protect a certain thing about halfway through the game. SMASH EVERYTHING! GET UPGRADES! SMASH MORE!)

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

LoveisOver posted:

The Hulk is the Master of Stealth. Solid Snake ain't got poo poo on him.

It also really helps your enjoyment of the game if you get into the Hulk's mindset. Even if it means you fail a few missions it will be way more fun. It's probably the best Hulk game ever made.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

LoveisOver posted:

I'd like to add that if you like this game and haven't already played Prototype, you should check that out as well. They're made by the same people and play very similarly. Eventually you even unlock what is essentially Hulk Fists in everything except name.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
What of UFO: Extraterrestrials GOLD? Something I'm considering picking up.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

LoveisOver posted:

God, in a way, I envy you for the amount of HULK SMASHING fun you're about to have for the first time.

The best advice is that you will probably get maximum enjoyment out of the game by farting around the city and smashing things, not by worrying about completing the storyline. If you complete it, great. If not, hell, you probably just spent the last hour batting tanks into the Atlantic ocean using a bent telephone pole. It just don't get any better than that, folks.

FAKE EDIT:
Good priorities for spending your points

1 Anything that increases mobility, whether it's air dashes or running speed
2 Other new moves
3 Stat increases (health, etc.)
4 Weaponizations

In that order.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

LoveisOver posted:

They say the headbutt is the strongest move, if your manual dexterity is above human.

Don't ever play on hard. It is frustrating and full of bullshit damage dealing. Not Hulk behavior at all.

Simple moves are worth the upgrade cost. Anything that makes you move faster is needed and cannonball is a must. Most challenges are worth it if you upgraded a lot.

Get a guide for the magazines and check them off. I missed one and I swear it is bugged.

Stop, Hammertank.

What can you tell me about Renegade Ops?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Now that I think about it, Hulk games are one of the only games I feel it would be totally appropriate to play on Easy. I feel like that simulates more like what would more realistically happen for Hulk.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Fighting the bosses in Ultimate Destruction requires some rather un-Hulkish behavior. The key is to be patient and wait for the right moment to get in and wreck them.

Also, when the move to toss tanks becomes available, get it ASAP. It makes one boss really easy and is just fun as heck to use in general.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

Scalding Coffee posted:

What can you tell me about Renegade Ops?

Isn't a whole lot to be said really, just have fun driving fast and making stuff explode :)

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Also play the one with airstrikes.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

Like people said dnnd rule knowledge is important but let me try to spell out the basics.

BaB is base attack bonus. The higher the number the better because it says how likely your dude is to hit someone when he takes a swing. Strength will increase it and weapon feats will increase it when the character is holding that weapon. Dexterity can also increase bab if you have taken the feat for light weapons and are using them but that's a more specialised route. Just give the dude an axe or something and he will do fine.

Different classes have different BaB progressions. There is high medium and low. High increases quickly etc. So if you make a fighter and cross class into a low bab class you might be gimping him. There are builds this is acceptable with but at a very basic level high bab people cross class only into medium or other high bab classes.

Casters should not be cross classed as they only increase their spell capacities and levels by leveling the casting class. Intelligence for mages, wisdom for clerics and charisma for sorcerers. Don't pick a sorcerer first time through as you won't know the right spells to pick and you get a lot more room for experimentation with the others.

Almost all the spells have a save vs on them. So there is save versus, fortitude, reflex or willpower. Fighter types tend to have high fortitude saves, rogue characters tend to be good on reflexes and casters have will power. So when a bunch of mooks is approaching choose a spell that has the appropiate save versus for them, ie willpower saves will gently caress up fighters.

Rogues are gimped because of the amount of things that are immune to them but they can be a good cross class. Warlocks are bad. People have disagreed about this stating at level 30 they can dish out lots of damage but that is a long road and you will get mugged on it.

Piking up a race that makes level progression is probably a bad move as most of the stuff that makes them special gets redundant fairly quickly. The other reason you might pick one is x race gets +2 to intelligence etc. There is another race that will get you that while taking a hit to an ability score that will matter less to you.

If you go caster spell casting prodigy is a feat you should pick up. It will give +2 to all your spells making them a good bit harder to save against.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Two Worlds II: How easy is the multiplayer to jump into without having played the single player? Does it ease you into it, or should you play the single player first to get a feel for the game mechanics?

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

LoveisOver posted:

When in doubt: throw things. Especially against bosses, throwing is a very safe and reliable way to do damage. Later on you can get the ability to catch and throw missiles, and if you charge your throw they become homing missiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Farecoal posted:

I want to play one of The Guild games and I was wondering whether I should play the first or second, and what I should know before playing. All I know is that you control a medieval noble family.

The guild 1400, right? The first is better and available on gog.

I recommend starting up by building your business, a lot of the intrigue is more interesting once you have a few extensions and upgrades to your house.

Start as an alchemist, I think it is the easiest profession to start with.

Appointments are determined by relationship, the little green bar underneath portraits reveals the esteem someone holds you in. If it is orange or red, they don't like you terribly much.

Play on very easy at first. There are a lot of things to learn.

I think that's about it. Have fun.