Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

I think there is too much space between his mouth and his nose. Plus his top lip looks pretty thin, so that doesn't help.

Yeah, but that's only because he was originally a character drawn by Dr. Seuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Hoops posted:

What is it about Stephen King's face that is so weird? It's like the shape of his head is upside down or something.

It looks like foetal alcohol syndrome to me:

He's got the small eyes, the smooth philtrum, the short nose and thin upper lip at the very least.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
How much of that was him getting run over?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Gravity Pike posted:

Drink lots of water, and make sure you're getting enough to eat, even if you don't have much of an appetite. Get a flu shot every... what is it? 6 months? A year?

I do know I don't drink enough water, I think I'm perpetually slightly dehydrated. When my throat started getting sore on Friday I drank about 8 glasses in 2 hours (and peed twice).

As for a flu shot, ... I'm not an anti-vaxxer, far from it, but my grandmother got Guillain-Barré after the 1970s flu shots so I claim a family history exemption. I rely on the rest of you pincushions for herd immunity :v: I haven't had the flu in a long time, and not since coming to Iowa, ironically enough.

Giant Squid
May 17, 2005
Tentacles rise from the sea...
Is buying whey protein a complete rip off, or are there certain brands that are much better than others at helping you gain muscle?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

stubblyhead posted:

Let me rephrase then, you will not necessarily die if you have an infection and don't take antibiotics. Your earlier statement "if you have an infection you need to take antibiotics" implies that you will, which is just not correct.
I sure didn't intend to imply that you will necessarily die without antibiotics if you have an infection (and I don't think I did, really.) But that's hardly an argument against taking antibiotics if you have a bacterial infection. I'll take "this will cure you if you take it as prescribed" over "you'll probably survive if you do nothing."

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Giant Squid posted:

Is buying whey protein a complete rip off, or are there certain brands that are much better than others at helping you gain muscle?

Ask the nutrition megathread in W&W

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Psalmanazar posted:

There is a Garry's Mod thread in Games, although it's pretty old and you might not get an immediate response.

Sorry to be a bother, but I can't seem to find it. You sure it hasn't fallen into archives?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

2508084 posted:

Ask the nutrition megathread in W&W

I'm pretty positive there's a protein thread there, as well.

Andenalli
Sep 17, 2007

I'm unique, just like
everyone else

Farecoal posted:

Sorry to be a bother, but I can't seem to find it. You sure it hasn't fallen into archives?

Have you tried the Garry's Mod subforum on the STEAM forums? Sorry to pawn you off, but it's relatively active.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=53794bd435c624b0f23fb03fa31551a6&f=132

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Lawnie posted:

I'm pretty positive there's a protein thread there, as well.

There is, but it's more about where to buy it and what kinds are available. I suppose the question would be appropriate in either, but more people read the nutrition faq.

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

I'm trying to find a throw for my bed and am at wit's end. I want a faux fur blanket that has that irregular shape rather than being just a square blanket (like on this couch: http://www.the-brick-house.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/DSC01729-copy.jpg). I guess I'm looking for either suggestions on where to look for this or better search terms than "faux fur throw". Help me goons. ):

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

john mayer posted:

I'm trying to find a throw for my bed and am at wit's end. I want a faux fur blanket that has that irregular shape rather than being just a square blanket (like on this couch: http://www.the-brick-house.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/DSC01729-copy.jpg). I guess I'm looking for either suggestions on where to look for this or better search terms than "faux fur throw". Help me goons. ):

Try adding "natural shape."

http://www.myshopping.com.au/ZM--1218344430_Auskin_Sheepskin_Natural_Shape_Throw_Rug_Beige

http://www.shopwiki.co.uk/Shaped-Ivory-Cream-Faux-Sheepskin-Rug-Fake-Fur-Rugs/products/Shaped

etc.

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

Is there a really easy way to convert a .flac album to 320 kbps mp3s?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Econosaurus posted:

http://download.cnet.com/Free-FLAC-to-MP3-Converter/3000-2140_4-75206134.html ?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

anivasion posted:

Have you tried the Garry's Mod subforum on the STEAM forums? Sorry to pawn you off, but it's relatively active.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=53794bd435c624b0f23fb03fa31551a6&f=132

Thanks a bunch, hope somebody can answer my question.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Econosaurus posted:

I think foobar can do this also, though you need to download an mp3 encoder if you don't have one already. LAME is free and works fine.

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

Only outputs at 192 kbps :smith:

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Econosaurus posted:

Only outputs at 192 kbps :smith:

http://www.tech-talkers.com/index.php/2009/01/converting-flac-to-320kbps-mp3-with-foobar/

(I just googled "flac to 320k mp3"; forgot the 320k part the first time :) )

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

At work, we are currently using paper log sheets to log the jobs we run on our machines. We log the date, purchase order #, customer, customer ID, description, quantity, cost, and operator initials. For example, if we made 1000 blue gizmos for Spacely Sprokets, it would be recorded as:

Jan16 , 101138, Spacely, 12300, B Giz, 1000, $429.50, GJ

At the end of the month, we give all the log sheets to a guy in a cubicle and he compiles that into an excel spreadsheet showing how many items each customer purchased and the total cost.

My boss decided it would be better if we did away with the paper sheets and logged the jobs electronically. He came up to me and said, "You are good with Excel, can you..." and you know the rest. I am good enough with Excel to know that it is not the right tool for the job, but I don't know which program to use. I imagine that this type of order tracking is used by hundreds of thousands of companies and there is software already specifically designed for entering and tracking stuff like this. I just don't know what that software is. We have MS Access installed, but I have no idea how to use it. From what little I understand about it, it seems that it will work. If that would be the right tool for the job, I'll get a user manual and go through tutorials and do what I need to do to learn how to use it, but I don't want to go through all that until I am confident that it will be A) Quick and easy for machine operators (who barely know how to use a computer) to enter data into, and B) Can give reports that breakdown monthly totals showing how many pieces were made for each company, by which operator, and how much we charged for the pieces.

There are a couple other things I would like to know if it can do. About 80% of the work we do is repeat jobs. There are hundreds of these repeat jobs, so putting them all into one drop down list would be unwieldy. I'd like to have two drop down boxes. The first would be the customer, and the second would be a dynamic product list based on the customer. A good example would be when searching for cars or car parts, you enter the manufacturer in one box, and then the second dropdown is populated only with models from that manufacturer.

The other 20% of the work we do is one-off jobs, so those would be entered manually. I'd like to have the option to either choose from a drop down list or enter manual data.

This is a small detail, but would help effiency - Is Access capable of retaining the same date and operator initials from entry to entry until they are manually changed? Like after I do a job, I would fill in the fields and hit enter or whatever to log it in the database, then I would like it to clear all the fields except for the date and operator initials so I would only have to enter that once per shift instead of every single time I run a job.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I need a link to a decent article explaining why it is so dangerous to fall into a body of water from a great height. I don't think I'm googling the right terms here. I need to explain to somebody who doesn't believe you can die from hitting water at great speed.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I need a link to a decent article explaining why it is so dangerous to fall into a body of water from a great height. I don't think I'm googling the right terms here. I need to explain to somebody who doesn't believe you can die from hitting water at great speed.

Wikipedia on the Golden Gate Bridge posted:

More people die by suicide at the Golden Gate Bridge than at any other site in the world. The deck is approximately 245 feet (75 m) above the water. After a fall of approximately four seconds, jumpers hit the water at around 75 mph or approximately 120 km/h. Most jumpers die from impact trauma on contact with the water. The few who survive the initial impact generally drown or die of hypothermia in the cold water.

This isn't the mechanics, but this should be a sign to your friend that their belief is wrong.

Golbez fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 16, 2012

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

There isn't much explanation to it, really. Water is way, way more dense and viscous than air and there is a limit to how fast it can move out of the way to accommodate your speeding body. Ask him if he'd feel comfortable falling hundreds of feet into a vat of tar or bread dough.* Just slapping one of those substances with the palm of your hand is enough to make you realize that it'll be like hitting a brick wall.

* You might get the "BUT THAT'S DIFFERENT" response. It's the exact same principle. Terminal velocity varies depending on the medium. You can fall through tar and bread dough no problem if you take your time.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 16, 2012

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There is at least one episode of Mythbusters about that, if it would help.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
If you jump flat onto the water from a diving board just a few feet up from the surface it can sting and leave your belly red like you've been slapped by the hand of an angry god, imagine that at 10x the speed.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Mak0rz posted:

There isn't much explanation to it, really. Water is way, way more dense and viscous than air and there is a limit to how fast it can move out of the way to accommodate your speeding body. Ask him if he'd feel comfortable falling hundreds of feet into a vat of tar or bread dough.* Just slapping one of those substances with the palm of your hand is enough to make you realize that it'll be like hitting a brick wall.

* You might get the "BUT THAT'S DIFFERENT" response. It's the exact same principle. Terminal velocity varies depending on the medium. You can fall through tar and bread dough no problem if you take your time.
Yeah he's being a pedantic poo poo. "Sure you can get badly injured falling from 100 feet up onto water but people survive it! So it's not like hitting concrete!!"

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Much like being sawed in half it's totally survivable if you just do it slow enough.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

SkunkDuster posted:

At work, we are currently using paper log sheets to log the jobs we run on our machines. We log the date, purchase order #, customer, customer ID, description, quantity, cost, and operator initials. For example, if we made 1000 blue gizmos for Spacely Sprokets, it would be recorded as:

Jan16 , 101138, Spacely, 12300, B Giz, 1000, $429.50, GJ

At the end of the month, we give all the log sheets to a guy in a cubicle and he compiles that into an excel spreadsheet showing how many items each customer purchased and the total cost.

My boss decided it would be better if we did away with the paper sheets and logged the jobs electronically. He came up to me and said, "You are good with Excel, can you..." and you know the rest. I am good enough with Excel to know that it is not the right tool for the job, but I don't know which program to use. I imagine that this type of order tracking is used by hundreds of thousands of companies and there is software already specifically designed for entering and tracking stuff like this. I just don't know what that software is. We have MS Access installed, but I have no idea how to use it. From what little I understand about it, it seems that it will work. If that would be the right tool for the job, I'll get a user manual and go through tutorials and do what I need to do to learn how to use it, but I don't want to go through all that until I am confident that it will be A) Quick and easy for machine operators (who barely know how to use a computer) to enter data into, and B) Can give reports that breakdown monthly totals showing how many pieces were made for each company, by which operator, and how much we charged for the pieces.

There are a couple other things I would like to know if it can do. About 80% of the work we do is repeat jobs. There are hundreds of these repeat jobs, so putting them all into one drop down list would be unwieldy. I'd like to have two drop down boxes. The first would be the customer, and the second would be a dynamic product list based on the customer. A good example would be when searching for cars or car parts, you enter the manufacturer in one box, and then the second dropdown is populated only with models from that manufacturer.

The other 20% of the work we do is one-off jobs, so those would be entered manually. I'd like to have the option to either choose from a drop down list or enter manual data.

This is a small detail, but would help effiency - Is Access capable of retaining the same date and operator initials from entry to entry until they are manually changed? Like after I do a job, I would fill in the fields and hit enter or whatever to log it in the database, then I would like it to clear all the fields except for the date and operator initials so I would only have to enter that once per shift instead of every single time I run a job.

That's pretty much exactly what Access is intended/used for.

In very short you would create a few tables, one for cars, cars, orders, operators, etc (parts would have a "key" linking it to the cars table so you can easily see parts for that car or visa versa ), then you would create forms to enter data into those tables (and create a simple user interface for entering data) that would do the things like populating drop downs and setting default fields. The you create queries to pull the data from the orders table.

Sounds like you have a pretty simple/small setup so it should be a relatively easy task, if you know how/where to get examples and help for office products.

Start by basically using access like you would excel and then you can break out the data incrementally into different tables and forms.

Here are some samples to give you an idea:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/CT010142824.aspx

"Northwind" is a sample database that comes with all versions of access that a lot of online tutorials and information is based on.

http://www.schools.ash.org.au/olshc/infotech/ureldes.htm

Just remember to backup your data frequently as you are learning to manage databases and relational tables. It's pretty easy to break stuff and lose data while you are learning.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Yeah he's being a pedantic poo poo. "Sure you can get badly injured falling from 100 feet up onto water but people survive it! So it's not like hitting concrete!!"

People also survive falling on land from 100 feet up, 1000 feet up, even 33,330 feet up. His argument is invalid.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Golbez posted:

People also survive falling on land from 100 feet up, 1000 feet up, even 33,330 feet up. His argument is invalid.

The mythbusters episode said it isn't as bad as hitting concrete.... but it still is pretty fuckin bad.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
How should I reorganize my digital music folder structure?

Right now I have D:\Music\Artist - Album (Year)\track - title.mp3

For example, that would be: D:\Music\Mariah Carey - Daydream (1995)\01 - Fantasy.mp3

The problem with that is that the albums from an artist aren't listed in chronological order.

So I'm thinking I should do Artist - Year - Album for the folder structure and leave the tracks the same.

How do you guys organize your music? Any organization or software (Windows) suggestions for me?

While I think iTunes organizes music pretty well, the files are going on a file server and I want the users (my family) to be able to browse the folder structure easily.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

That's pretty much exactly what Access is intended/used for.

That's good to hear because getting new software, or even getting software that my company already has licenses for installed on my computer would be like pulling teeth.

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

In very short you would create a few tables, one for cars, cars, orders, operators, etc (parts would have a "key" linking it to the cars table so you can easily see parts for that car or visa versa ), then you would create forms to enter data into those tables (and create a simple user interface for entering data) that would do the things like populating drop downs and setting default fields. The you create queries to pull the data from the orders table.

Is it possible to have multiple keys linked to one object? Like if I selected "Spacely Sprockets" from the customer drop down, could it populate a second drop down list with the parts we make for them, and also populate another field with their Customer ID number?

Would I be limited to only using data from the customer table to populate the customer field or can I manually type in a customer name for the one-off jobs? I started to create a form in Excel and ran into the problem with drop downs where I could only select something from the drop down list to fill a cell. If I tried to manually enter something into the cell, it would return an error.

This is kind of critical. In an average day, we'll do 50 jobs on one machine. 40 of those jobs are repeat jobs that we do on a daily/weekly basis and the only thing that changes are the quantities we produce so drop downs would work great. The other 10 jobs are walk in jobs that we do once and never do again. I don't want those cluttering up drop down lists. All I want from them is to show up under the category of "other" on the end of the month report and then never see them again. I'm not asking you how to do such a thing, as that is something I am going to have to learn on my own - I'm just asking if it can be done.

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

"Northwind" is a sample database that comes with all versions of access that a lot of online tutorials and information is based on.

Thanks! That is the type of direction really helps me out. I was looking over available templates to pick apart so I could learn how they worked, but didn't really know which ones would be most similar to what I am trying to do.

We are currently using MS Office 2003 but I believe we are upgrading to Office 2010 sometime in the next few months or so. Do you think it would be wiser/easier to wait until the upgrade to start creating this database or will I be okay with 2003?

Cowboy Mark
Sep 9, 2001

Grimey Drawer
It's worth noting that you don't need to pay up for a copy of Access for each computer - only the one on which you design the database. Other PCs can have Access Runtime installed (free download from Microsoft), which allows them to add and modify data using the created forms.

Also, for concurrent user access you should split it into a front-end/back-end setup (there's a wizard to do this in 2007 and 2010, don't know about earlier). If you want to go pro you can store the back-end tables in a SQL server, but .mdb and .accdb backends work fine for smaller setups.

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers explains this in quite good detail.

From travelling at great speed to the sudden de-acceleration (which is pretty instant) of hitting the water, generally causes death by aortic rupture - where the main artery is ripped from the abdominal cavity wall. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traumatic_aortic_rupture

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Cowboy Mark posted:

It's worth noting that you don't need to pay up for a copy of Access for each computer - only the one on which you design the database. Other PCs can have Access Runtime installed (free download from Microsoft), which allows them to add and modify data using the created forms.

The company I work for is huge, so they just get what I believe is called an "enterprise" license that allows full installations on any computer owned by the company. However, you do bring up an interesting point. Each machine will have one associated computer for logging stuff. If I were to create a shortcut on the desktop of each machine that would open the database using Access Runtime instead of the full program, would it allow them to log jobs and, at the same time, prevent them from accidentally loving anything up?

Cowboy Mark posted:

Also, for concurrent user access you should split it into a front-end/back-end setup (there's a wizard to do this in 2007 and 2010, don't know about earlier). If you want to go pro you can store the back-end tables in a SQL server, but .mdb and .accdb backends work fine for smaller setups.

Hold your horses there, Cowboy! I'm afraid that type of stuff is far over my head at this point. As I learn more about Access and databases, it might be nice to create one big shared database for all machines and have each machine on a separate tab or something, but, for now, I'm just planning on creating a separate database tailored for each machine and storing the database files on the network so the guy in the cubicle can just open each one and click a button to generate a monthly report instead of having him collect up paper logs from each machine and manually enter each line into an Excel spreadsheet every month.

Is it possible to have Access automatically generate a summary report on the first of each month? If I could have it do something like that, then it would remove the cubicle guy from the picture completely. I'm still in the early stages right now trying to learn what Access can or can't do. If it can do something, I'll find tutorials and information on line and learn how to do it on my own, but I don't want to spend a bunch of time trying to figure out how to do something that can't be done.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

SlightButSteady posted:

Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers explains this in quite good detail.

From travelling at great speed to the sudden de-acceleration (which is pretty instant) of hitting the water, generally causes death by aortic rupture - where the main artery is ripped from the abdominal cavity wall. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traumatic_aortic_rupture

It's simply that, if you are at exactly the right angle, you can slice through the water instead of hitting the water. Unfortunately, unless you're a professional diver or very lucky, you're going to hit the water at anything but that perfect angle and be crushed by the impact.

If the friend is still being weird, tell him to belly flop into a pool. If he thinks that wouldn't cause actual damage if it was from more than a few feet up, he's simply an idiot and you should move on.

Cowboy Mark
Sep 9, 2001

Grimey Drawer

SkunkDuster posted:

The company I work for is huge, so they just get what I believe is called an "enterprise" license that allows full installations on any computer owned by the company. However, you do bring up an interesting point. Each machine will have one associated computer for logging stuff. If I were to create a shortcut on the desktop of each machine that would open the database using Access Runtime instead of the full program, would it allow them to log jobs and, at the same time, prevent them from accidentally loving anything up?

Yep. But if you already have Access you can get it to start in 'runtime' mode by putting a /runtime argument (or some such, I forget exactly) in the shortcut instead of installing Access Runtime as well. Runtime mode is a bit off a faff as you have to make a 'switchboard' to open forms and the toolbars are all empty.

SkunkDuster posted:

Hold your horses there, Cowboy! I'm afraid that type of stuff is far over my head at this point. As I learn more about Access and databases, it might be nice to create one big shared database for all machines and have each machine on a separate tab or something, but, for now, I'm just planning on creating a separate database tailored for each machine and storing the database files on the network so the guy in the cubicle can just open each one and click a button to generate a monthly report instead of having him collect up paper logs from each machine and manually enter each line into an Excel spreadsheet every month.

Is it possible to have Access automatically generate a summary report on the first of each month? If I could have it do something like that, then it would remove the cubicle guy from the picture completely. I'm still in the early stages right now trying to learn what Access can or can't do. If it can do something, I'll find tutorials and information on line and learn how to do it on my own, but I don't want to spend a bunch of time trying to figure out how to do something that can't be done.

You can create an Access report that prompts for a month or a date range that would be run manually. I suppose you could code some VBA that detects if it's the first of the month and opens that report up automatically.

There will also be a way somehow of running a scheduled task on the computer to do it. I can't think off the top of my head exactly how, but I'm sure it can be done.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
^^ E: http://krgreenlee.blogspot.com/2006/04/excel-running-excel-on-windows-task.html , basically you can record/write a macro in excel which updates a report then run it from the task scheduler. You can also add in vba code to export charts and email workbooks, charts and tables. A benefit to using excel for this is that should you want to migrate the data to a proper DB or whatever you just change the data source.

We're leaving the small/stupid area and going into [reserve the next few pages for this discussion]. If you have specific questions you can PM me or maybe see if you can start a threat in SHSC. I'll briefly answet these ones.

SkunkDuster posted:

Is it possible to have multiple keys linked to one object? Like if I selected "Spacely Sprockets" from the customer drop down, could it populate a second drop down list with the parts we make for them, and also populate another field with their Customer ID number?

Yes. You could have two tables, one with sprocket parts that has a key to another table that contains parts. They would share a key (vendor_id).

SkunkDuster posted:

Would I be limited to only using data from the customer table to populate the customer field or can I manually type in a customer name for the one-off jobs? I started to create a form in Excel and ran into the problem with drop downs where I could only select something from the drop down list to fill a cell. If I tried to manually enter something into the cell, it would return an error.

The limits are really only set by your abilities. There are a variety of point and click "combo/list box" type options that can be further customized with vba scripting. Usually the drop in components like below are enough to get you going:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/access-help/create-a-list-box-combo-box-or-drop-down-list-box-HP005240581.aspx

SkunkDuster posted:

This is kind of critical. In an average day, we'll do 50 jobs on one machine. 40 of those jobs are repeat jobs that we do on a daily/weekly basis and the only thing that changes are the quantities we produce so drop downs would work great. The other 10 jobs are walk in jobs that we do once and never do again. I don't want those cluttering up drop down lists. All I want from them is to show up under the category of "other" on the end of the month report and then never see them again. I'm not asking you how to do such a thing, as that is something I am going to have to learn on my own - I'm just asking if it can be done.

Yes, it's just a function of proper design. You can set defaults for a box, set it to pull a list from another table or have it be (last_entry, until closed).

SkunkDuster posted:

We are currently using MS Office 2003 but I believe we are upgrading to Office 2010 sometime in the next few months or so. Do you think it would be wiser/easier to wait until the upgrade to start creating this database or will I be okay with 2003?

Forward compatibility has never seem to be an issue for me. Although, IIRC, I think higher versions will whine about wanting to upgrade the DB.

SkunkDuster posted:

Keep in mind access really isn't the best option for a DB that is/will become huge.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access-help/about-user-level-security-mdb-HP003070410.aspx

SkunkDuster posted:

No, what you are saying there is that you want a centrally located DB with user "front-ends" to enter data. If cube guys has to aggregate the data you're not really reducing work you are creating more needlessly for him and yourself. While you are designing and testing you will probably just have a single 'mdb' to work with but as the DB grows you will want to have a front end so you don't run into "locking" issues.

SkunkDuster posted:

Access has SQL and reporting (IIRC can create reports in a "wizard" style until you are more familiar with SQL, but most Access shops use excel to do reporting because it includes all of the pivot tables, charting, and other functions.

MS has a ton on free online resources, cursory search:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/training/get-to-know-access-RZ006118141.aspx

ChubbyEmoBabe fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 16, 2012

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

lowcrabdiet posted:

How should I reorganize my digital music folder structure?

Right now I have D:\Music\Artist - Album (Year)\track - title.mp3

For example, that would be: D:\Music\Mariah Carey - Daydream (1995)\01 - Fantasy.mp3

The problem with that is that the albums from an artist aren't listed in chronological order.

So I'm thinking I should do Artist - Year - Album for the folder structure and leave the tracks the same.

How do you guys organize your music? Any organization or software (Windows) suggestions for me?

While I think iTunes organizes music pretty well, the files are going on a file server and I want the users (my family) to be able to browse the folder structure easily.

I have mine organized in Music\Artist\Album and I used Media Monkey to fix tags and file names. I've got a big rear end folder of compilations organized by genre and then soundtracks as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotwoz
Apr 2, 2011
I'm sending a book to Germany as a gift using USPS flat rate shipping. I know how to do this kind of thing domestically, but what extra steps, exactly, do I need to take to ship internationally? I've read guides and have a general idea, but I want to be 100% sure that this thing doesn't get held up in customs for too long or returned to sender.