Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

D'oh, forgot about the open-world part. Sorry. Not a lot of Fallout-y games out there then.

Skyrim was pretty good, or if you want something much cheaper, you might try out Two Worlds II, which may not be A-plus material but is surprisingly good for a B-list game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
I want to play somethin turn-based, complicated and tactical. Something like X-com, Jagged Alliance 2. I'm really bored with all the action games that I have installed and need something slower and something that has a bit of micromanagement.

Any ideas (PC games only)?

Helmsman
Nov 14, 2004
Try Silent Storm or the expansion Silent Storm: Sentinels. They take place during WW2 and you take command of a squad of soldiers as you infiltrate various axis strongholds and other cool places. It features destructible environments and tons of weapons. You gain experience by performing abilities like shooting with different weapons, sneaking, using explosives, and then level up and improve your characters through perks. I have a few complaints about it, especially the endgame, but it's a solid game and one of the best turn-based strategy games I've ever played.

Also if you're a fan of the Fallout series, check out Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel. It's also a turn-based strategy game set in the fallout universe. Graphics are a bit dated, but there are plenty of great things about it to offset that.

Helmsman fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 15, 2012

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Brace posted:

I'm looking for something... war based, I guess? Probably an RTS, but definitely not Company of Heroes, I have it and don't really like how the game plays. Maybe something cold war or WW2 based, with a focus on tank combat or something similar, but it could be modern for all I care.

Hmm... I'm pretty fond of the Men of War series. It's a very detailed and realistic WWII RTS. Infantry tends to be the more useful, but tank combat is incredibly detailed and realistic. It's Russian so it's hard as hell but has some pretty good missions and it looks great. No base building or anything, plays very differently from most games.

Also, a very detailed destruction engine, so you can do this. (From the immediate prequel)

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Nibbles the Shark posted:

Hmm... I'm pretty fond of the Men of War series. It's a very detailed and realistic WWII RTS. Infantry tends to be the more useful, but tank combat is incredibly detailed and realistic. It's Russian so it's hard as hell but has some pretty good missions and it looks great. No base building or anything, plays very differently from most games.

Also, a very detailed destruction engine, so you can do this. (From the immediate prequel)

Men of War is a pretty good series. Get vanilla Men of War if you want to play singleplayer (though the campaign is mediocre), or get Assault Squad if you want to play multiplayer.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Have there been any games that have deliberately gone for an early 3D animation aesthetic? I'm feeling very retrofuturistic right now and want to ride a hovercraft through a forest of cones to the sounds of Jean-Michel Jarre. I've never played anything that has lived up to the vast, austere cyberspace landscapes promised by The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest and the like.

The only thing I can think of would be recentish games based on Tron, and I have no idea if any of those are any good.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

Attention Horse posted:

I want to play somethin turn-based, complicated and tactical. Something like X-com, Jagged Alliance 2. I'm really bored with all the action games that I have installed and need something slower and something that has a bit of micromanagement.

Any ideas (PC games only)?

I know these are recommended often but, how about the original Fallout 1 & 2? If you haven't tried them, they are unforgettable.

Brace posted:

I'm looking for something... war based, I guess? Probably an RTS, but definitely not Company of Heroes, I have it and don't really like how the game plays. Maybe something cold war or WW2 based, with a focus on tank combat or something similar, but it could be modern for all I care.

If you're more in it for the strategy than the Close Combat series are perfect for that. It's hard getting some of the older ones to work but, it is worth the effort.

For both of you to check out: Battlefront does both Turn Based and RealTime system games that span several ages of war. I believe Combat Mission Shock Force does both. They do tend to be heavy on realism though.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Rollersnake posted:

The only thing I can think of would be recentish games based on Tron, and I have no idea if any of those are any good.
TRON 2.0 still holds up pretty well. The most-recent tie-ins were reportedly awful though.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I've just moved and I finally have an internet connection worth a drat again. So, I am looking for both an FPS and an RTS to play multiplayer. The catch is that I am tired of Starcraft 2 and Battlfield 3/Team Fortress 2, and I don't care for Call of Duty. PC or console, whatever works.

Preferably with a decent sized community, since I will likely be keeping somewhat odd hours some days it is nice to be able to roll into a random match whenever. I am also not opposed to losing or having somewhat of a learning curve, though if it is really steep it might keep me out.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 16, 2012

BoBtheImpaler
Oct 11, 2002
Dinosaur Gum

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is there any better Axis and Allies PC port with AI out there than the original commercial release by Hasbro?

This was asked quite a while ago, but I just now started browsing this thread, so here's an awesome free Axis & Allies game: http://triplea.sourceforge.net/mywiki

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Contest Winner posted:

I've just moved and I finally have an internet connection worth a drat again. So, I am looking for both an FPS and an RTS to play multiplayer. The catch is that I am tired of Starcraft 2 and Battlfield 3/Team Fortress 2, and I don't care for Call of Duty. PC or console, whatever works.

Preferably with a decent sized community, since I will likely be keeping somewhat odd hours some days it is nice to be able to roll into a random match whenever. I am also not opposed to losing or having somewhat of a learning curve, though if it is really steep it might keep me out.

Try and get into the closed beta of Tribes: Ascend. I started playing yesterday, sort of craving the same thing as you, and I must say it is unique enough to satisfy the itch. It's a little rough around the edges for sure, but its free and I already know I'm going to be playing for a while. Evidently keys aren't that hard to come by but I guess I'm too new to have one. Check this thread and just ask for one.

It's a little rough around the edges for sure, but its free so I would try it out. Other rough around the edges but drat fun free multiplayer FPS/TPS games that I only discovered this month include APB Reloaded and Global Agenda although I suspect goons playing Global Agenda are now all playing Tribes, and for good reason. I don't think I could go back to that game's jetpack after Tribes.

edit: Oh poo poo I do actually have two beta keys on my account already, if for some reason you don't get a response in the thread I got you covered.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 16, 2012

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

crashdome posted:

I know these are recommended often but, how about the original Fallout 1 & 2? If you haven't tried them, they are unforgettable.

Usually I wouldn't recommend Fallout Tactics over 1/2 but uh, this guy really liked Jagged Alliance 2.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Try and get into the closed beta of Tribes: Ascend. I started playing yesterday, sort of craving the same thing as you, and I must say it is unique enough to satisfy the itch. It's a little rough around the edges for sure, but its free and I already know I'm going to be playing for a while. Evidently keys aren't that hard to come by but I guess I'm too new to have one. Check this thread and just ask for one.

It's a little rough around the edges for sure, but its free so I would try it out. Other rough around the edges but drat fun free multiplayer FPS/TPS games that I only discovered this month include APB Reloaded and Global Agenda although I suspect goons playing Global Agenda are now all playing Tribes, and for good reason. I don't think I could go back to that game's jetpack after Tribes.

edit: Oh poo poo I do actually have two beta keys on my account already, if for some reason you don't get a response in the thread I got you covered.

Thanks for the advice and the offer, I am going to give it a shot. I hadn't heard about the new Tribes, I loved the old one. Lucky me, soon as I went to that thread a key giveaway had started on some site, so score.

Now I just need to find an RTS, or I might just try and play Dawn of War 2 online finally.

Casaubon
Mar 28, 2010

notaaron

Rollersnake posted:

Have there been any games that have deliberately gone for an early 3D animation aesthetic? I'm feeling very retrofuturistic right now and want to ride a hovercraft through a forest of cones to the sounds of Jean-Michel Jarre. I've never played anything that has lived up to the vast, austere cyberspace landscapes promised by The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest and the like.

Is Rez too obvious an answer? Otherwise I guess there's the cyberspace segments in the System Shock games, everything else I can think of was part of the early 3D era instead of using it as an aesthetic.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Contest Winner posted:

Thanks for the advice and the offer, I am going to give it a shot. I hadn't heard about the new Tribes, I loved the old one. Lucky me, soon as I went to that thread a key giveaway had started on some site, so score.

Now I just need to find an RTS, or I might just try and play Dawn of War 2 online finally.

Well since I'm on a roll, the most recent strategy game I've enjoyed is Total War: Shogun 2, and I say that as a person that couldn't quite click with Total War games (I haven't played any since Medieval 2). I always thought the meat of the game was the campaign, but I'm starting to think it's the multiplayer.

You've probably already played Company of Heroes if you're an RTS fan, but as far as traditional RTS games the genre is kinda dry. That Men at War game looks pretty loving sweet, how often does the destructibility come into play? Or is it something like the original Red Faction where they promise destructive freedom but then limit you severely.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 16, 2012

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rollersnake posted:

This might sound completely insane, but have you played Myst? That's the game that immediately springs to mind when I think of old-school 3D graphics, albeit slower than what you're probably looking for.

And I'm seconding the recommendation for Rez, and while I haven't played the semi-sequel Child of Eden, everything I've heard about it sounds pretty good, and from what I've read about it, probably the closest a modern game comes to what you're looking for.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Well since I'm on a roll, the most recent strategy game I've enjoyed is Total War: Shogun 2, and I say that as a person that couldn't quite click with Total War games (I haven't played any since Medieval 2). I always thought the meat of the game was the campaign, but I'm starting to think it's the multiplayer.

You've probably already played Company of Heroes if you're an RTS fan, but as far as traditional RTS games the genre is kinda dry. That Men at War game looks pretty loving sweet, how often does the destructibility come into play? Or is it something like the original Red Faction where they promise destructive freedom but then limit you severely.

The destructibility comes into play pretty often. Off the top of my head I can't think of anything you can't blow up.

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax

Rollersnake posted:

There's a game in development called Fract that fits what you're looking for. There's a beta available on the website and you can see a walkthrough of it here. Aside from that and the games others have mentioned there's Killer7, and Tomb Raider Anniversary has an unlockable textureless mode that I guess might count (the video's crap but there wasn't a lot to choose from).

CerebralDonut
Mar 5, 2004

Contest Winner posted:

I'd recommend Company of Heroes [avoid DoW2 if you're looking for deep multi]. CoH doesn't have as big a community as it did in the past, but I think there is more people playing it than DoW2.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Badguy posted:

There's a game in development called Fract that fits what you're looking for.

This looks really cool—thanks! Hope I don't have too long to wait until it's finished.

Re: Rez, I've had that for years, but I guess because of the rail shooter gameplay didn't register in my mind as fulfilling the criteria. Maybe it's time to pick that back up and finally beat it.

Also I'm aware of Child of Eden, but it is the only game available for either Kinect or Move to pique my interest, and I'm waiting for more or a really good discount before I invest in the hardware.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
I'm just finishing my 5th or 6th play through of Fallout NV and I was in the market for some kind of RPG with similar amounts of replayability. Currently only have a PC, so something on that would be a plus. Games that I own include: Skyrim, Mass Effect 1 and 2, Dragon Age, Alpha Protocol, and Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

A Dapper Walrus posted:

I'm just finishing my 5th or 6th play through of Fallout NV and I was in the market for some kind of RPG with similar amounts of replayability. Currently only have a PC, so something on that would be a plus. Games that I own include: Skyrim, Mass Effect 1 and 2, Dragon Age, Alpha Protocol, and Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines.

Neverwinter Nights 1 or 2. 1's probably the better of the 2, but the graphics are a bit dated. Also there's the obvious previous titles in the TES and Fallout serieses.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
Get Neverwinter Nights 2, if only for the expansion pack Mask of the Betrayer. Unlike NWN1, NWN2 + MotB was developed by Obsidian, who made Fallout NV and Alpha Protocol.

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm looking for a game like X3, although it doesn't have to be in a space setting.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

A Dapper Walrus posted:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is pretty good for that.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I have a laptop that has a retarded video card (oh switchable graphics, your implementation is laughably bad). As such I can't handle much graphical intensity, but CPU intensive stuff is fine.

I always end up sitting up late in bed bored with my laptop.

Someone recommend me an awesome turn-based strategy game that's not in the Civ series. I'd be using a touchpad to interact with it, which is why I prefer turn-based, but if it's a more relaxed pace I'll play anything!

fake edit: I have Europa Universalis III but I've never played, is that a good fit? Looks complicated!

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Stew Man Chew posted:

I have a laptop that has a retarded video card (oh switchable graphics, your implementation is laughably bad). As such I can't handle much graphical intensity, but CPU intensive stuff is fine.

Someone recommend me an awesome turn-based strategy game that's not in the Civ series. I'd be using a touchpad to interact with it, which is why I prefer turn-based, but if it's a more relaxed pace I'll play anything!

fake edit: I have Europa Universalis III but I've never played, is that a good fit? Looks complicated!

EU3 is definately a good fit. I play it on my laptop, it gets a bit slow after a few centuries of game-time but honestly thats not a problem.

It is definately a bit complicated to learn but once you get over that learning curve, it is chill as heck to grow a country of your choice across centuries of history.

Just make sure you have at least a few of the expansion packs because the base game is terrible without them.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
Just ordered STALKER, thanks for the recommendation! I'll keep NWN 1 and 2 in mind just ince case.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Captain Mediocre posted:

EU3 is definately a good fit. I play it on my laptop, it gets a bit slow after a few centuries of game-time but honestly thats not a problem.

It is definately a bit complicated to learn but once you get over that learning curve, it is chill as heck to grow a country of your choice across centuries of history.

Just make sure you have at least a few of the expansion packs because the base game is terrible without them.

OK I have EU Complete so that includes some stuff.

Anyone else? Simulation or TBS game for late-night laptop entertainment?

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Stew Man Chew posted:

Try Disciples 2, it's :10bux: on GOG with all its expansions.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
I want a game like Fallout 3/NV but with less story and no level cap. Anything come to mind? Would S.T.A.L.K.E.R. fit the bill?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, is there anything relatively modern that would be a good Metroidvania (besides, obviously, Metroids and Shadow Complex?)

Hell, maybe I should just boot up Shadow Complex again....

CerebralDonut
Mar 5, 2004

Orzo posted:

I want a game like Fallout 3/NV but with less story and no level cap. Anything come to mind? Would S.T.A.L.K.E.R. fit the bill?

STALKER sounds like it might be good for you, with one caveat - you can't level up in STALKER. Other than that, there is an inventory system and it has a fairly open world that's a lot of fun to explore. I'd start with Stalker - Shadows of Chernobyl.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Speedball posted:

So, is there anything relatively modern that would be a good Metroidvania (besides, obviously, Metroids and Shadow Complex?)

Twisted Shadow Planet is pretty cool, but fairly short. Also I assume you've played the Castlevania titles?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Speedball posted:

You should play Aria of Sorrow and Dawn of Sorrow if you haven't(just assuming you've played Symphony of the Night, because who hasn't?). Also, if you're up for some indie freeware, check out Hydra Castle Labyrinth, La Mulana, and Maze of Galious.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

crashdome posted:

Fallout 1 is actually really forgettable, it hasn't aged well and I'm pretty sure it's close to impossible to like it if you're playing it for the first time in 2012. You can take it from me, I played it for the first time last month and was actually bored out of my mind. I played planescape for the first time in 2008 and really enjoyed it, and played fallout 2 back when it first came out and still love it, but maaan do people see 1 through rose colored glasses simply because it originated the fallout series.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Speedball posted:

- Aquaria
- Shantae: Risky's Revenge
- Outland

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

SheepNameKiller posted:

Fallout 1 is actually really forgettable, it hasn't aged well and I'm pretty sure it's close to impossible to like it if you're playing it for the first time in 2012. You can take it from me, I played it for the first time last month and was actually bored out of my mind. I played planescape for the first time in 2008 and really enjoyed it, and played fallout 2 back when it first came out and still love it, but maaan do people see 1 through rose colored glasses simply because it originated the fallout series.

I actually just played Fallout 1 recently and thought it was way better than Fallout 2, which I played a few months ago. There's a few quality of life changes in Fallout 2 that make dealing with companions much better but overall I feel that Fallout 1 is the best game in the series.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I actually just played Fallout 1 recently and thought it was way better than Fallout 2, which I played a few months ago. There's a few quality of life changes in Fallout 2 that make dealing with companions much better but overall I feel that Fallout 1 is the best game in the series.

What was it that you liked, really? I mostly found the game design to be uninspired but I guess that's a symptom of it being a prequel and 2 reusing a lot of its art assets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

SheepNameKiller posted:

What was it that you liked, really? I mostly found the game design to be uninspired but I guess that's a symptom of it being a prequel and 2 reusing a lot of its art assets.

I also played Fallout 1 and 2 not long ago and thought 1 was the better of the two. 1 felt more focused and the fact that it had fewer settlements gave it a stronger post-apocalyptic feeling. Kinda like how GTA San Andreas is technically the most fleshed out and 'perfected' but I still like Vice City better.

It's interesting that you mention the art assets, as that is one the things I didn't like about 2. The graphics just aren't that great, with most of the world being copy-pasted in both games, and it might be the case that whatever one plays first becomes 'the best' game (I played 1 first).