Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dr. Glasscock posted:

Man that's a deal breaker right there. Will look at at ambidextrous mice then!

It depends on which steelseries mouse you use... The Sensei (newest one) has built in profiles, and doesn't need Steelseries Engine running at all to use it's profiles. I am not sure if the older mice just didn't have profiles and it was all done through software or what... But I know that mice with built in memory for profiles will be able to work with uploaded profiles and not just software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
All Sensei users can you do this quick test for me?

1) Turn on left handed mode in Steelseries Engine. Minimize Steelseries Engine to the system tray.
2) Go to the Windows Start Menu and put the computer into Standby mode.
3) Wake up the computer from Standby with any key input.

Are your mouse buttons reversed? I can reproduce this problem every time I put my computer into standby or hibernation but wanted to see if other people also have it. Its driving me nuts because I'm afk alot.

SMLJ
Sep 7, 2010

CaptainFuzychin posted:

Well, I got the m570 and I actually really regret it. I've had it a couple weeks and I now have pretty much constant pain in my right wrist. I'm switching back to my Orbit for a while to see if it helps, anyone else experienced anything like this? From the reviews I read before purchasing this, it seemed like the m570 tends to solve rather than cause wrist pain so I'm somewhat surprised. I don't have a reason to keep the thing if it is indeed the cause of my pain, so I guess the thing goes to SA mart if that proves to be the case :(

This is probably a little late, but I am really sorry to hear that the trackball is giving you wrist issues. I feel partly responsible for that since it was probably my recommendation that made you make that purchase.

I didn't get any wrist pains with any of the trackballs so I am not sure what is causing the pain.

DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What does SA think about the Roccat Kova+?
http://www.amazon.com/ROCCAT-3200DPI-Gaming-Buttons-ROC-11-520-AS/dp/B005XFTA9Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325778967&sr=8-1

ZombieIsland
Jan 21, 2011

The name is Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221B Baker Street
Just received my steelseries ikari laser today, and I am loving it, got it for $45 on eBay. I recommend it if your looking for a nice palm grip mouse.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Zowie Mico's mousewheel is squeaking again. I greased it just now. Let's wait how long this'll last. Next time it does it I'll look for a different mouse.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Just got my G400 today ('switching' from MX518)! Feels a bit lighter and faster I think? Maybe I'm just overthinking things though.

edit: Just turned off mouse acceleration so it feels weird but it's apparently what you're supposed to do to be good at sc2.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 7, 2012

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Cicero posted:

edit: Just turned off mouse acceleration so it feels weird but it's apparently what you're supposed to do to be good at sc2.
Here's a cheap trick to get more quickly used to it:

1) Pick a spot on your screen (an icon, a window corner, whatever)
2) Close your eyes
3) Try to move your cursor to that spot
4) Open your eyes, see how close you got
5) GOTO (1) until you have a decent accuracy or until you get bored

chappey
Jan 21, 2001

I got one of them over the weekend and it's going back Monday morning. There's a lot to like about it like the light weight, robust drivers, and what is probably the best scroll wheel on any mouse I've laid hands on, but the side buttons really kill it. The placement is a bit awkward but on top of that they are pretty stiff. Having stiff side buttons on a very light mouse will cause mispresses of M1/M2 and even move your cursor around quite a bit. This is a huge shame because the Easyshift feature is really cool but nigh unusable when mapped to one of said side buttons.

I'm going back to the Corsair M60 which has problems of its own but nothing I would consider nearly as bad as the Kova+'s side buttons issue.

That said, if anyone knows if Easyshift (holding down one mouse button to give all the others an alternate function) could be replicated in AutoHotKey somehow, I've love to hear about it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Cicero posted:

Turning off mouse acceleration is great because it means your mouse will always go exactly where you move it, no matter the speed. Whether you move the mouse at 1 foot per second or 100, stopping your mouse in the same place will always make your cursor stop in the same place.

I dislike acceleration so much that I'll go to the trouble of looking up and downloading 3rd party programs that remove it if the OS doesn't natively allow it. After a few days you'll probably never want to go back.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

So, this was probably (in retrospect) a bad move, but I bought one of those Razer Tron-themed mouses a couple days ago - it was on sale at Woot for $30 - as opposed to the standard list price of $100 and typical sale price of $50-$60 or so. Basically, I've had a Death Adder for almost two years now that I've been very happy with and haven't had any issues with, but it's starting to wear out a bit and I've been on the lookout for a good deal on a gaming mouse. I just had a tough time resisting a deal like this; I'd had my eye on the G700 or the G500 but have not been able to mentally rationalize spending that much on a mouse. I know that Razer has a sometimes-questionable reputation, but I've generally had a good experience with them. I did some research on the Tron mouse and it seems like it's generally well-suited for people with lanky fingers (which is me) who use a grip similar to mine, which is a big part of why I bought it. It's a smedum-sized ambidextrous model (I'm right-handed) that superficially looks a little bit like the Orochi. I'm just crossing my fingers that isn't a total piece of poo poo in terms of functionality and that it does suit my hand/mouse style well. :ohdear:

kaworu fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 12, 2012

PlasticSpoon
Apr 2, 2004
How should I clean the laser hole in my Performance MX? I would assume just a q-tip and water but I dont want to leave any strands of cotton in there.

My mouse will skip and become unresponsive in certain spots on my mouse pad, I really think its the mouse just being dirty at this point though. I've tried 3 different mouse pads over the past month and all of them seem to work flawlessly for a few days, then start doing the skipping/not responding in certain spots. I'm using a Razer Scarab now and it worked well for about a week before having this issue.

Help me :(

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

kaworu posted:

So, this was probably (in retrospect) a bad move, but I bought one of those Razer Tron-themed mouses a couple days ago - it was on sale at Woot for $30 - as opposed to the standard list price of $100 and typical sale price of $50-$60 or so. Basically, I've had a Death Adder for almost two years now that I've been very happy with and haven't had any issues with, but it's starting to wear out a bit and I've been on the lookout for a good deal on a gaming mouse. I just had a tough time resisting a deal like this; I'd had my eye on the G700 or the G500 but have not been able to mentally rationalize spending that much on a mouse. I know that Razer has a sometimes-questionable reputation, but I've generally had a good experience with them. I did some research on the Tron mouse and it seems like it's generally well-suited for people with lanky fingers (which is me) who use a grip similar to mine, which is a big part of why I bought it. It's a smedum-sized ambidextrous model (I'm right-handed) that superficially looks a little bit like the Orochi. I'm just crossing my fingers that isn't a total piece of poo poo in terms of functionality and that it does suit my hand/mouse style well. :ohdear:

I purchased the Tron mouse myself when it first came out. It has the exact same performance of the Lachesis (I actually replaced my Lachesis with this), which is to say it performs excellently. At first I found it to be a little too small for my hand and I didn't like that the plastic makes your grip worse than on a Lachesis, etc. I use it with the tron mouse pad and the accuracy and ease of movement is awesome. In fact I do all of my gaming without moving my hand at all - just slight wrist movements of a half inch or less with my fingers handling all of the movements using this mouse. If you can get the Lachesis for the same price IMO go with that but otherwise that is a hell of a deal for some high end performance.

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 12, 2012

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Incredulous Dylan posted:

I purchased the Tron mouse myself when it first came out. It has the exact same performance of the Lachesis (I actually replaced my Lachesis with this), which is to say it performs excellently. At first I found it to be a little too small for my hand and I didn't like that the plastic makes your grip worse than on a Lachesis, etc. I use it with the tron mouse pad and the accuracy and ease of movement is awesome. In fact I do all of my gaming without moving my hand at all - just slight wrist movements of a half inch or less with my fingers handling all of the movements using this mouse. If you can get the Lachesis for the same price IMO go with that but otherwise that is a hell of a deal for some high end performance.

Thanks for the reply! Whew - it makes me feel quite a bit more relieved. I really wasn't too sure, because it was definitely a purchase that I didn't do my usual amount of research on. I had checked Woot that night at around 12:30AM, and their daily deals end and roll over to new ones at 1AM in my time zone, so I literally had a tiny bit less than half an hour to decide whether I wanted to pick up the Tron mouse or not. I basically just jumped on it because $30 really is just too freaking great of a deal for a mouse that retails at $100 - not to mention the thing looks cool as gently caress in a really excessively geeky way, and I love that it lights up and makes cool noises and all that silly jazz.

I do hope it works my hands, though. I have really, really weirdly shaped hands. They're pretty big and enormous, but not in a typical way - I have these freakishly long, lanky, skinny fingers. So for instance, I've been using a Death Adder which is a pretty typical palm-grip style mouse. Except my fingers are so long that I can't hold that mouse in the back/bottom of my palm without my fingertips overshooting the main mouse buttons completely - so I basically use a palm-style grip except the mouse isn't being held in my palm. Based on pictures I don't think I'll have trouble using the same kind of style with this one. It's only the stupidly small "laptop"-sized mice that I really cannot use at all.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
That's exactly how I use a mouse and I think you'll be just fine. If you have overly sweaty hands though keep in mind this is a plastic mouse. I can't recommend enough that you use a mouse pad specifically made for this type of mouse - if you previously owned a Death Adder I believe they have the same type of smooth, gliding mouse feet. If you want to talk geeky, the tron mousepad is configured so that trails from your mouse glow on it as you move it, hah. Sort of a glow in the dark that only really works with the light on the bottom of this mouse. Due to my mouse style I basically always have a little circle of light instead of a bunch of lines everywhere!

Flea110
Apr 3, 2006
The G500 looks like exactly what I want, but some folks on Newegg were saying it emits a faint high pitched noise, which I'm positive would drive me nuts. Has that been fixed?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Flea110 posted:

The G500 looks like exactly what I want, but some folks on Newegg were saying it emits a faint high pitched noise, which I'm positive would drive me nuts. Has that been fixed?
I have had a G500 for almost a year and that's news to me.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Can't say I've heard it, and I think mine is a year or more old. What in a mouse could even make that noise?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Flea110 posted:

My MX518 does the same thing. It doesn't bother me though, because I can only hear it if my ear is about <6 inches from the mouse.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

My MX518 and G500 do it too; it's the primary reason why I don't use them :(

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Haha wow! I can hear it if I put the bottom of the mouse up to my ear, there is a lower pitched hum and a higher pitched "squeak" occasionally. Either they vary wildly in loudness or my ears just don't pick up that frequency well enough to hear from far away.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

HalloKitty posted:

My MX518 does the same thing. It doesn't bother me though, because I can only hear it if my ear is about <6 inches from the mouse.

Holy poo poo I just held my Performance MX up to my ear and it does it too. :wth:

It seems to be coming from the DarkField laser port thingie. And the frequency noodles around as I move it over my ear.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Oh god damnit, I just chose to read this thread randomly and now am irritated by my MX518 after loving it and using it for years. Never noticed the sound before.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I can hear the noise in my G500, but only if I turn the mouse over and press it up to my ear.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log

Maxwell Adams posted:

I can hear the noise in my G700, but only if I turn the mouse over and press it up to my ear. Then I realize I'm high and it's just some guy raging at me about how I must be using hacks, but it's just my macro buttons.

I truly couldn't justify spending 70 bucks on a mouse till I held it in my hands. My giant, huge, oversized, 10 inch manhands.

Bob Log fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 16, 2012

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Apparently the noise is due to using ceramic caps and setting the sample rate of the mouse wheel encoder too low: http://jdc.parodius.com/logitech/

I never noticed it until holding it up to my ear just now, but I'm not sure if I can resist the absurdity of replacing a cap in my mouse just to make it sound better. I wonder if I should go all out and use some NOS carbon comp resistors, NOS Orange Drops, and Black Gate electrolytics while I'm at it.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Jimmy Smuts posted:

My MX518 and G500 do it too; it's the primary reason why I don't use them :(
Until recently I had an MX518 and never noticed a noise. I have a G400 now, just put it up to my ear and I don't hear anything.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
So I was looking on replacing my wired Logitech mouse by buying a mid-range (around 30-40€) wireless mouse, suitable for big hands, for my 12" notebook to carry around; any consensus on some models? And are Bluetooth mice worth it?

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Ancient MX300 user checking in to say that I can't hear any noise from the bottom of my awesome mouse :smug: Must be all that fan noise the computer's making in the background drowning it out :downs:

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

I'm looking for a new mousepad because my Razer Ironclad is a piece of poo poo that only lasted 6 months.

The best mousepad I've ever had was a func surface 1030. This kind of looks like the same idea -- anyone tried it? Mionix Propus 380

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

titaniumone posted:

I'm looking for a new mousepad because my Razer Ironclad is a piece of poo poo that only lasted 6 months.

The best mousepad I've ever had was a func surface 1030. This kind of looks like the same idea -- anyone tried it? Mionix Propus 380

It's probably not for everyone but I have been using an Icemat (now Steelseries Experience I-2) for at least 3 years with no noticeable wear. I find I have to replace my mousefeet relatively often though. I love it. I actually bought a Ironclad because it interested me as a hardpad alternative but in the end I just went back to glass.

http://steelseries.com/us/products/surfaces/steelseries-experience-i-2

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Steelseries 4HD is really good.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
I made this.

If only I had a Sensei lol

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Maxwell Adams posted:

I can hear the noise in my G500, but only if I turn the mouse over and press it up to my ear.
G9x, same.

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!
Man I completely forgot about Steelseries mice. Anyone used both an ambidextrous, wired Razer and Steelseries? Curious which one you guys prefer.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I have started trying to decide on a new mouse to replace my Sidewinder X8. I've been very happy with my X8 comfort/performance/size wise; but the recharging has become a pain in the arse. All they needed to do was stick a micro USB port on the mouse for the cable to plug into, but instead they used that idiotic magnet system that never works...You need to fiddle around for 5 minutes to get the mouse to recognise that the cable is attached, and then you move the mouse a teeny bit too aggressively and the thing stops charging. I don't know if this is a fault with my mouse, but since Microsoft no longer manufactures the Sidewinder mice I suppose it is a moot point.

Anyhow, I'm looking for a new mouse and I'm kinda over the whole wireless thing, so I doubt I'd get another wireless mouse. I'm also not interested in getting a Logitech mouse. I thought I'd post my current shortlist, and then see what experiences you guys have had with them, and also see if you had anything to add to my shortlist.

So, I've been considering:

R.A.T. 7 (I'm annoyed a revised edition is out, but only in white - it sucks to buy an older version, but a white mouse would look awful together with all my other black gear)

Corsair M60 - reviews have been mixed, but I love corsair products.

SteeSeries Sensei: Everyone raves about this mouse, but the body doesn't seem sculpted enough for optimum comfort. My biggest concern is the slippery, shiny plastic surface, and the lack of on the fly DPS switching, though this isn't a dealbreaker, I only switch to lower dps when I'm playing an old game in DOSbox.

Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0: this is almost a comedy option, I don't expect it to be a serious contender based on its low price tag, but Microsoft lists it as a gaming mouse, and the surface finish/build quality looks nice. Might get one for my laptop.

So I'd appreciate peoples' opinions. It's a pity they don't make more mice with a soft touch rubberised surface, that is my preferred material, unless someone goes and makes a mouse with a leather coating.

hohoh0
Apr 5, 2003

TEH GRAPPLER

The Lord Bude posted:

Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0: this is almost a comedy option, I don't expect it to be a serious contender based on its low price tag, but Microsoft lists it as a gaming mouse, and the surface finish/build quality looks nice. Might get one for my laptop.

While it isn't your mouse, the equally old Microsoft WMO (Wheel Mouse Optical), despite its old age, is still heavily used by QuakeLivers. A lot of them still swear by it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

hohoh0 posted:

While it isn't your mouse, the equally old Microsoft WMO (Wheel Mouse Optical), despite its old age, is still heavily used by QuakeLivers. A lot of them still swear by it.

the explorer 3.0 is a new explorer mouse from the past couple of years.

I'd need decent dpi from my mouse...I keep acceleration off, and I generally use 2000dpi on my 1920x1200 screen, but I'll be moving up to 2560x1600 soon so I'd probably need to bump up the dpi.

I'm leaning towards the R.A.T. but mouse choice is such an important decision that I'm agonising over it...most gaming grade mice aren't sold in department style stores where I can test them out easily, and the RAT I'd have to order from amazon, it is twice the price here in Australia.

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Don't be fooled into replying, I am either a lesson in Poe's Law or incredibly fucking stupid, or both. Also I can't read charts and graphs and think image macros about Paul Ryan's genius are fun and exciting! Run me over with Biden's Trans-Am!
EDIT: NVM

Yinzer fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Any particular reason you're not considering Logitech mice?