Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Just like watching Brazil

Gearhead posted:

Were I to guess, I imagine that they aren't sure they can merge the servers without blowing the whole thing up.

It being Funcom, I'd say that it's a certainty that this would happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Gearhead posted:

Were I to guess, I imagine that they aren't sure they can merge the servers without blowing the whole thing up.

This is actually extremely likely. I remember some months or maybe a year back when they had to do some database upgrading or something due to some issue with mission ids. They were talking about it like the server was some ancient cave to the core of the world, filled with demons and leprechauns. They were truly terrified. :v:

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

Gearhead posted:

They successfully merged the German server into RK1 so I doubt there is a technical issue.

LostOne
Dec 20, 2002

I can only imagine the drama if all the farm orgs from both servers had to fight over their precious plots.. didn't they add a few (mostly disliked) zones just to compensate for the German server? I can't imagine RK2 folks would be keen on being forced into Four Craters North and I can't imagine anybody on RK1 wants to give up their keen land. A shame really.. even combined the population would be weak but as is it's mostly a ghost town at this point.

I went ahead and bit the bullet for three more months, just got an engy up in levels and want to enjoy it for a little bit. There's also a small hope that things will pick up after holidays and maybe people will get bored with things like TOR and TSW.. I mean.. yea it's delusional, but ah well, I THINK the game will last three more months at least.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

LostOne posted:

I can only imagine the drama if all the farm orgs from both servers had to fight over their precious plots.. didn't they add a few (mostly disliked) zones just to compensate for the German server? I can't imagine RK2 folks would be keen on being forced into Four Craters North and I can't imagine anybody on RK1 wants to give up their keen land.

I'm pretty sure a large part of RK1 towns aren't even used any more. They're simply old farm cities of people who haven't been around for ages. They've just left billions in org bank so their cities won't expire for many years.

Guess FC could just add small instanced cities if they wanted to though. There are already large ones.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
If Tor was a slap to AO's already bloody face, then GW2 is going to be a roundhouse kick when it comes out. I wonder how much Funcom would sell the AO IP for?

And why has there never been a fan server for AO?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Revener posted:

And why has there never been a fan server for AO?

Because there's like 100 people still playing the game regularly.

E: redownloaded because of the itch :negative:
Does anyone still play on RK2 or is it all RK1 now?

Aaand I resubbed. drat you Funcom! Time to see whether my twinks are still up to date :ohdear:

Orange DeviI fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 19, 2012

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011
I have been goofing around on RK1 with one of my friends and I was wondering if you would mind my level 16 engineer joining whatever is left of the goon org. I have played before, but I have never made it past level 50. This time I am hoping to get to the end game at least once before the server population drops much more.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Just this morning I was thinking about when I finally found a Redline grenade launcher for my engineer. I loved having a gun that went BOOM and freaked out anyone that had never seen one in action before.

There were so many elements of AO that were quite clever and would work just fine in a modern game. Even simple things like the upgradeable engie equipment (pistol, hat, etc.) I really enjoyed the complexity that provided utility, not just a timesink. If only the gameworld had been more populated, and Shadowlands not sent things off in a direction that held absolutely no appeal to me.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Cowwan posted:

I have been goofing around on RK1 with one of my friends and I was wondering if you would mind my level 16 engineer joining whatever is left of the goon org. I have played before, but I have never made it past level 50. This time I am hoping to get to the end game at least once before the server population drops much more.

I might sub this weekend if Creation Kit for Skyrim doesn't come out (Bethesda :argh:). So, if you really want an invite to a literally dead org, talk to Grumps or Gromps if you see them online.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
I made what was possibly my worst finacial decision of the year so far and reup'd for a month on my paid account.

The problem is that since I last played I upgraded my machine with an ATI card. Ripping texture ahoy. The AO main forums are less than useless and the "fix" it lists involves outdated versions of DirectX and 3rd party programs that haven't been updated since the Bush administration.

Is there some, more recent way to get AO to play nice with an ATI card, or force the drat thing to software render?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Conskill posted:

I made what was possibly my worst finacial decision of the year so far and reup'd for a month on my paid account.

The problem is that since I last played I upgraded my machine with an ATI card. Ripping texture ahoy. The AO main forums are less than useless and the "fix" it lists involves outdated versions of DirectX and 3rd party programs that haven't been updated since the Bush administration.

Is there some, more recent way to get AO to play nice with an ATI card, or force the drat thing to software render?
Force software :smith:

Are you on RK2?

Conskill
May 7, 2007

killstealing posted:

Force software :smith:

Are you on RK2?

If that's a :smith: of inevitability, I don't know how to force software and would love to learn how. If it's a :smith: of naive dreams, well... :smith:

I have extremely low level characters on both RK1 and RK2, though was planning to focus on RK1.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Loot at the bright side. AO looks like 2001 either way. :gbsmith:

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Does anybody who quit this game a long time ago still have character/twink ideas? I can't get rid of the impulse to come up with ideas for new characters that I can't even roll because my two full accounts have both expired. I've never had a game that I can't get out of my mind like this. It has been like 2 years now, I wonder when I'll stop thinking of ideas for cheezing AO content using multi-logged characters.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

TheQuietWilds posted:

Does anybody who quit this game a long time ago still have character/twink ideas? I can't get rid of the impulse to come up with ideas for new characters that I can't even roll because my two full accounts have both expired. I've never had a game that I can't get out of my mind like this. It has been like 2 years now, I wonder when I'll stop thinking of ideas for cheezing AO content using multi-logged characters.

I've got a 150 soldier that's done, a 25 enforcer with alien armor that's done but I still need to finish a 150 MA, a 150 keeper, a 60 enforcer and I'd like to have a 220. I've got the items and armor for some of those but yeah.

:effort:

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011
I'm working on a 25 enforcer right now as my first twink, but I find it hard to get very into the game since my friend quit.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009
If you are interested in making Froob twinks then checkout LordDredd's blog. He has a bunch of twinks setups listed.

http://lorddredd-anarchy.blogspot.com/

I followed his setup to make a Subway battlerod doctor and it utterly wrecks the last boss.

niff
Jul 4, 2010
every time i see this thread i have a mental battle as to whether i should reinstall

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
Lots of players playing? Or is it a ghost town? Last time I played was last summer for a bit and there were not too many people left.

Oh, and any more word on the graphics overhaul? They have been working on it for like 4 yrs now. I think one guy doing all the mods would have to be done by now, lol.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Peechka posted:

Lots of players playing? Or is it a ghost town? Last time I played was last summer for a bit and there were not too many people left.

I would not define it as 'lots' by any stretch, but RK1 is still populated.

Peechka posted:

Oh, and any more word on the graphics overhaul? They have been working on it for like 4 yrs now. I think one guy doing all the mods would have to be done by now, lol.

The most recent update is talking about finishing up internal tools to convert the playfields to the new engine. God only knows what their development roadmap is (or if they have one).

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Conskill posted:

I would not define it as 'lots' by any stretch, but RK1 is still populated.

The most recent update is talking about finishing up internal tools to convert the playfields to the new engine. God only knows what their development roadmap is (or if they have one).

Is there any real word on this New Engine? All I've ever seen about it is 'it's coming.'

Conskill
May 7, 2007

uPen posted:

Is there any real word on this New Engine? All I've ever seen about it is 'it's coming.'

I'm only going by the monthly status updates linked on the main page. The most recent one is here.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
New interview and engine video:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/10/feature/6234/Anarchy-Online-Fia-Tjernberg-Interview-New-Engine-Video.html

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

blackmanjew posted:

New interview and engine video:

Hope it hits before my sub ticks down.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

That looks pretty. They should use it for AO2. :argh:

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet

"Look at our awesome new engine!" -10 seconds of Cloverfield-esque footage from a distance-

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Revener posted:

"Look at our awesome new engine!" -10 seconds of Cloverfield-esque footage from a distance-

The bulk of the footage came from a single zone, too, though I caught brief glimpses of most major towns.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I'd love to get back into AO but there are so many other games to play/books to read/things to do.

:negative:

But I'd seriously consider spending some time on it with that new engine. Don't gently caress it up Funcom.

M6thrXeat
Feb 18, 2012

I bet if that puck was a hamburger you'd stop it!
Started a froob account to play an opifex fixer that i use to play as. Has been years now and hardly remember anything, whats the best focus for skilling? should I stick to the suggested ip distribution?

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:
oh man that does look decent, might be time to dust of the 220 keeper I havent logged into in four years.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

M6thrXeat posted:

Started a froob account to play an opifex fixer that i use to play as. Has been years now and hardly remember anything, whats the best focus for skilling? should I stick to the suggested ip distribution?

SMG/Burst, Evades (can skimp on duck), treat, decent CL, keep your nanos as up to date as possible. Decide early if you're going to want to use GA.

M6thrXeat
Feb 18, 2012

I bet if that puck was a hamburger you'd stop it!

TheQuietWilds posted:

SMG/Burst, Evades (can skimp on duck), treat, decent CL, keep your nanos as up to date as possible. Decide early if you're going to want to use GA.

Thanks for the assistance, will focus on those. What is GA?

Vaashila
Feb 4, 2011

I have a strange feeling about those eyes...

M6thrXeat posted:

Thanks for the assistance, will focus on those. What is GA?

Grid Armor

Everything you ever wanted to know and more.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:
Grid armor was (still is?) the bar none goal of a froob fixer. you wont find anything on rubki that compares to it. the problem is its fairly rare and fairly expensive, and most of the best money making schemes require access to the expansions.

thats how it was a few years anyway, I have no idea now although I assume not much has changed for froob accounts.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

TheQuietWilds posted:

Just to touch on this briefly, if you don't plan on using Grid Armor don't put a single point into Matter Creation as a Fixer. The only thing I know of that Fixers use MC for other than GA is a line of really lovely nanos that let you summon weapons and ammo that is completely useless.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Anyone have any tips for getting Clicksaver to work? I can't get it to create the local database, and I even went through the hassle of installing the SDK for that one .dll file, dropped it in the Clicksaver directory, and still no go. Google isn't much help either.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Sheep posted:

Anyone have any tips for getting Clicksaver to work? I can't get it to create the local database, and I even went through the hassle of installing the SDK for that one .dll file, dropped it in the Clicksaver directory, and still no go. Google isn't much help either.

Are you running it as administrator? Also there's a few different versions by now, make sure it's at least 3.0.0, that's what I used last time I played.

Face Job
Jun 12, 2008
I know some people already asked, but i just resubbed recently, still get a craving every so often. People who are still playing, post your chr names and server. See if we can a org going or something...

Facejob - lowbie Soldier - rk1
Gummygunt - 60 enf twink - rk1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

I'm not sure how much a name list will help because most "active" goons I've known ingame usually play for a bit and vanish for months before coming back for a little while again. Me included.

If roflbot happens to be alive, it's better to just use that to meet others.

• Locked thread