Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Just came back from the first boxing class of the year and the first real boxing only class in more than 8 months. God drat was it fun. And I lost 4.6 lbs in 2 hours. And the big/good boxers were merciful and didn't even beat me up that bad.

Also the coach said I have improved a ton somewhere, somehow, during the time I've been away. As this is something he's said maybe once before during the past six years or so I'm inclined to take it as a serious compliment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Thoguh posted:

New semester starts up next week, we are a student club for the first time (rather than just a rec services lesson) so we got to send out a mass email to all the students. Hopefully we'll pick up a bunch of new formers wrestlers into the club. I'm a little nervous since we're doing a big push for new members and it'll suck if we don't get at least a handful.

I'm in a similar situation with my club. Turnout has been steadily improving, and tomorrow is a big test.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

The narrator sounds like Rawls from The Wire.

widunder
May 2, 2002
Any Dutch goons up in here?

I'll be relocating to Nijmegen next week and staying for the spring semester. I've been searching around for a BJJ / No-Gi place, the closest was in Arnhem (which might be a bit far to commute?) that only had two classes pretty late in the evening, and a Judo club which would be cool, but I'd have to get a judo gi and also, I'm just staying temporarily and then going back to BJJ when I get back home so I'd rather stick to something along those lines. Anyone know of anything else that might or might not have a website?

Oh and I realize going to Holland and not doing MT is dumb but it's not really my thing.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Maybe they'd be cool with you using your bjj gi

widunder
May 2, 2002

niethan posted:

Maybe they'd be cool with you using your bjj gi
i don't have space to pack it because i'm a w&w human being (i'd buy a new gi if i found a bjj place)

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
gently caress yeah, 3 new black belts just joined our club! We had some bad luck and a lot of our black belt had to leave (we're a university club so most students are only there for 3-4 years. We also get a lot of guys from france that come here for just a year or two). I found it hard to improve since there weren't many guys in the brown/black belt category anymore and was considering going back to my "summer" club for the semester. I already learned a poo poo ton in a single class, I really love new students that bring different techniques and ideas to the club.

Also, 2nd tournament next weekend. I really don't feel prepared at all, less than last time actually. But who cares, I'll try to bring another medal for the club and aim to win half of my fights. I hope I can manage to calm my nerves this time around.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

nemoulette posted:

i don't have space to pack it because i'm a w&w human being (i'd buy a new gi if i found a bjj place)

send it by mail

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

nemoulette posted:

Any Dutch goons up in here?

I'll be relocating to Nijmegen next week and staying for the spring semester. I've been searching around for a BJJ / No-Gi place, the closest was in Arnhem (which might be a bit far to commute?) that only had two classes pretty late in the evening, and a Judo club which would be cool, but I'd have to get a judo gi and also, I'm just staying temporarily and then going back to BJJ when I get back home so I'd rather stick to something along those lines. Anyone know of anything else that might or might not have a website?

Oh and I realize going to Holland and not doing MT is dumb but it's not really my thing.

Have you looked at http://grappling.nl/ ? I train at their Utrecht location and it's pretty on the level, don't know the Nijmegen coach, though.

widunder
May 2, 2002

niethan posted:

send it by mail
I DON'T LIKE BEING THROWN ON MY HEAD ALRIGHT

gracie hug takedowns for life

Rhaka posted:

Have you looked at http://grappling.nl/ ? I train at their Utrecht location and it's pretty on the level, don't know the Nijmegen coach, though.
two classes per week :( i'm overdue for a new gi anyway so picking one up there is fine. i'll swing by and see how much it is and just supplement with kettlebell stuff at the university gym (which I think is free or atleast very cheap) if it's affordable.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
I've done more instructor stuff over this winter and holy poo poo it is embarrassing when newbies consider me to be some kind of a shiny grappling god. I mean, i've spent loving years punching my way uphill and suddenly i need to go around holding hands.

I am not used to people looking up to me.

Bizarro E/N :unsmith:

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Illegal Username posted:

I've done more instructor stuff over this winter and holy poo poo it is embarrassing when newbies consider me to be some kind of a shiny grappling god. I mean, i've spent loving years punching my way uphill and suddenly i need to go around holding hands.

Believe me when I say I understand how its uncomfortable, though it is cool when students who've taken the class recognize me in bars and call me the 'Judo guy'.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
SPARRING CLASS.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Illegal Username posted:

I've had my black belt for 5 years and been an assistant or head instructor at various places for most of that time, and it still weirds me out. Not as much as it used to, but I'm still not totally used to it. I think that might be part of why I dabble in Hapkido and BJJ - it allows me time to be a stupid student without people having expectations.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

nemoulette posted:

two classes per week :( i'm overdue for a new gi anyway so picking one up there is fine. i'll swing by and see how much it is and just supplement with kettlebell stuff at the university gym (which I think is free or atleast very cheap) if it's affordable.

Pretty sure it's 40e for 1/week, 50e for unlimited in all towns. Yeah, weird pricing scheme.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
What an awesome class. The coach in question usually is quick to tell people to control force, especially when training assaut but last night he really let me and a heavyweight go. I have bumps in my head and bruised legs but that's the best fun I know you can have, he might have had 6 inches on me but HA! I was able to close the distance, machinegun punches from the inside and even tag him in face with a perfectly timed superman punch along with other foolery. You just gotta get past that front leg and left jab bra. We also had a great time blasting body hooks at about 100%

I don't know... I assume a lot of you guys like to get beat up as long as you knew you did your best or is it just me that's weird? :v:

WHICH BRINGS ME TO MY THEORY: people who are good in all aspects of sparring are probably pretty good at life. See? You don't bully the small or the weak, you guide less talented or experienced people along and give them a chance, even take blows to help them on their way, are ready to better yourself at the price of sweat, blood, tears and the occasional injury, respect your equals, your inferiors and your betters the same way irregardless of age, sex, creed or colour, and never back down from a challenge as when faced with insurmountable odds be it by chance, luck and often by choice, you engage them without flinching, and crawl out of the ring or the matts knowing you did your best and are better for it, and would do it all again.

Thanks bye I'll go calm down now, maybe have a glass of wine and some chicken pasta.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Rhaka posted:

Pretty sure it's 40e for 1/week, 50e for unlimited in all towns. Yeah, weird pricing scheme.
Wow, €40 per week? That's outrageous. Too bad.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

nemoulette posted:

I think he means 40€ a month and you're allowed to go to one lesson a week

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

nemoulette posted:

Err, per month, for 1 class/week, or unlimited. I'm retarded. This is what you get when you post from a dull party.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4
Let's talk about retarded pricing for a minute. I was considering going to train at one of the less popular/known gyms in town for a seminar with Tito Ortiz. The gym ballparked the seminar at $80, and I was trying to decide whether or not I was interested.

Then the seminar was cancelled because Tito wanted $500/per person. That's right, Tito Ortiz thinks his seminars are worth more than 6x the price that I've ever seen anyone else charge. Thanks, but no thanks.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Kumo Jr. posted:

Let's talk about retarded pricing for a minute. I was considering going to train at one of the less popular/known gyms in town for a seminar with Tito Ortiz. The gym ballparked the seminar at $80, and I was trying to decide whether or not I was interested.

Then the seminar was cancelled because Tito wanted $500/per person. That's right, Tito Ortiz thinks his seminars are worth more than 6x the price that I've ever seen anyone else charge. Thanks, but no thanks.

The only seminar I've heard of that cost that much was four days long, with all five Machado brothers.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

nemoulette posted:

Try Judo, the Netherlands is pretty good at Judo, and straight up grappling is rare and downright terrible in most places to be honest. Avoid any places that just have mma classes, 70% of the time it will be kickboxing instruction + cardio and then you'll crapple with gloves on for a few minutes against people that don't know how to shrimp from under mount etc. The instructor never spars and is an old kickboxer.

With a BJJ background you will destroy most of the judoka's on the ground, but they generally practice it still, but judo competition is legit. There's a couple good places in the west, but Im not too familiar with east.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
"You're getting too good for me to just gently caress around with, so I'm going to have to actually start trying" is the best and most ominous thing to hear while training muay thai with guys who fight professionally.

mewse
May 2, 2006

CaptainScraps posted:

"You're getting too good for me to just gently caress around with, so I'm going to have to actually start trying" is the best and most ominous thing to hear while training muay thai with guys who fight professionally.

Haha, congrats, I feel sorry for you

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Kumo Jr. posted:

How dare you impugn the value of the tutelage of Tito Ortiz, winner of no straight fights.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Gracie Barra Costa Mesa just awarded a black belt to a 78 year old

That's pretty cool. He's been doing it for 15 years so I don't doubt he's earned it. Older guys can be a mixed bag - some of them are awesome and can beat the poo poo out of you with technique, others are so scared of gettin ghurt that they are a detriment to the class. Sounds like this guy is the former.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Non-stop boxing until I get my ingrown toe fixed up. Writing notes in a training journal every lesson. I wish I'd done that when I started BJJ.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Have any judoka been taught ouchi gari using the same movement as osoto gari except instead of your left foot going on the outside of the opponents right leg an sweeping it, your left foot is on the inside of the opponents right leg and your own right leg sweeps their left leg? It seems way more useful to me than the standard ouchi which is moving in and getting as low as possible while pulling the lapell towards the ground hard. Thoguh, whats your opinion on this?

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

Kumo Jr. posted:

Randy Couture was charging something like $150 for a 1 day seminar in toronto. He started with like 45 mins of cardio to weed out all the people who don't actually train.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nierbo posted:

Have any judoka been taught ouchi gari using the same movement as osoto gari except instead of your left foot going on the outside of the opponents right leg an sweeping it, your left foot is on the inside of the opponents right leg and your own right leg sweeps their left leg? It seems way more useful to me than the standard ouchi which is moving in and getting as low as possible while pulling the lapell towards the ground hard. Thoguh, whats your opinion on this?

I am a little confused by your description. I don't see how you could throw o-uchi-gari like o-soto-gari simply due to the mechanics. The only way to fit your hip in is to lower your level. You do often see people throw an o-uchi-gake in competition that has a strong chest to chest push that is similar to o-soto-gari. But instead of getting the Uke up and back like you would for o-soto-gari you are dragging the Uke down and back.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Stabbing Spork posted:

Randy Couture was charging something like $150 for a 1 day seminar in toronto. He started with like 45 mins of cardio to weed out all the people who don't actually train.

That's a pretty good price for a guy that big, and the rest is awesome.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Xguard86 posted:

That's a pretty good price for a guy that big, and the rest is awesome.

Agreed. $150 is a lot of money for me to afford for a seminar price, but I'd love a chance just to meet Randy (let alone train with a legend). He's one of the greatest fighters of all time.

Come to think of it, I'd probably pay that for Randy and be totally okay with the price.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
How far along would you want to be in grappling before you did a seminar? I'm still just getting my legs under me, and I don't want to waste a few hundred bucks on something way over my head.

Julio Cesar Fatass fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 16, 2012

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
If you really want to meet whoever is running it then go have fun, don't worry about getting your "money's worth" in new ideas & techniques. If you're spending over a hundred dollars on a seminar you're not going for the technique alone.

On the other hand if you're not that bothered about training with a big name you're better off spending the money on privates with your own instructor.

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat

Thoguh posted:

I am a little confused by your description. I don't see how you could throw o-uchi-gari like o-soto-gari simply due to the mechanics. The only way to fit your hip in is to lower your level. You do often see people throw an o-uchi-gake in competition that has a strong chest to chest push that is similar to o-soto-gari. But instead of getting the Uke up and back like you would for o-soto-gari you are dragging the Uke down and back.

The throw mechanic for this variation isn't actually a gari, it's more like putting a stick between the spokes of a bike wheel as it turns. The opponent wants to step back, but your heel is blocking behind his knee, and your quad is braced against his other leg.

Nierbo, this variation isn't necessarily more or less effective than a normal ouchi gari, though it might fit better into your current repertoire. In case you don't know, that throwing mechanic doesn't facilitate many followup attacks if you get stuffed, and you're vulnerable to the same footsweep, o ___ gari, and seoinage counters as always with an osoto-style entry. Also, watch out for people clamping down on your leg with theirs, you probably won't be able to stop the knee pick or single leg takedown if it happens.

Try out ko uchi gake (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP1RuFvQLRE), it's basically the same thing but smoother and with more combo possibilities.

Also, I have a very strong feeling that your right hand isn't active enough in your ouchi. Remember, it's gotta actually roll their left shoulder back during the kuzushi, you can't just push into it and then pull down during the kake.

Ridleys Revenge fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 16, 2012

Dewski
Dec 15, 2005
Whoop-de-Whoop
Finally did it. After reading through the entire thread, I've signed up for BJJ. The first few weeks have been great.

What things should I be keeping in my mind as I go through the begging? I mean I keep learning little things like "don't put your arms down when in their gaurd," but what are some of the big picture things I should be thinking about?

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Dewski posted:

Finally did it. After reading through the entire thread, I've signed up for BJJ. The first few weeks have been great.

What things should I be keeping in my mind as I go through the begging? I mean I keep learning little things like "don't put your arms down when in their gaurd," but what are some of the big picture things I should be thinking about?

I'm not sure there's much of a big picture or golden set of rules outside of "position before submission" type stuff. Its the little details that'll always make or break you and you're going to learn them all the hard way, especially if you start sparring with people who are significantly better than you.

This is why people who don't understand grappling loathe spectating it and UFC crowds always applauds refs who stand fights up. It's all won or lost on things you'll never notice unless you know what you're looking for.

Sign up for the beginningbjj newsletter and ebook to get a pretty good overview of the major positions and your options from them, combine that with what your instructors are giving you and go from there.

Smegmatron fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 17, 2012

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Dewski posted:

Smegmatron is pretty much spot on. You'll have so many things to worry about at first anyway.

The only things we could tell you, your coach will probably tell you in the first few day anyway. But just in cae here's a couple of things I always remind people who suck at fighting on the ground in my judo class :

1. You never want to be laying flat from shoulder to hips on the ground. You should always try to be on one side of your hips and try to avoid having both shoulders in contact with the ground.
2. If your into someones guard, keep both arm in or both arms out.
3. Try to control peoples hips/avoid letting people control your hips.
4. Learn to shrimp. Moving your hips around is required for pretty much everything you'll want to do when you are on your back.

\/ hips hips hips hips hips hips. Grappling is the heterosexual art of hugging big muscular dudes while furiously moving your hips around until the opponent can no longer take it. It is sometime done with a pajama on, sometime in form fitting synthetic clothing. So you need to learn how to move your hips furiously if you want to stand a chance \/

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 17, 2012

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Now that you mention it, hip positioning is probably the root cause of almost every problem I have as a newbie. Nine times out of ten if I'm having trouble pulling something off or I think back to understand why I got smashed during a roll, it'll come back to hips.

The other 1 out of 10 is comically bad fitness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

You'll spend your first few months just trying to understand the big picture, working out which positions are best and worst, and what you can do from each.

Basically back control and mount are the two best positions to be in, side control isn't far behind. Guard is a middle-ground which you can use to launch yourself back into a dominant position. From the bottom, just try to get back into some kind of guard constantly.

So, lovely position -> guard -> top.

I'd just try to get really good at one or two sweeps maximum for awhile, and maybe one or two submissions from the top. When I started I tried to practice too much at once and didn't get very good at any of it.

• Locked thread