Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

BoostCreep posted:

The biggest problem my brain has with the S4 route is that I can get a brand new fully loaded Evo MR Touring for less than a 3 year old S4 with 40,000 miles.

This doesn't make sense - in Canada they're almost the exact same price brand new. the Evo MR starts at $51,798 and the S4 starts at $53,000...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asmallrabbit
Dec 15, 2005

BoostCreep posted:

Now I need to go test drive the A4 and a used S4 if I can find one with the options I'm looking for. The biggest problem my brain has with the S4 route is that I can get a brand new fully loaded Evo MR Touring for less than a 3 year old S4 with 40,000 miles. And a new A4 with all the options I want out prices the Evo too. But I have found some used A4 S-Lines with the exact package I want for upper 20's which is more doable. Does anyone have an idea of how much modding it would take to get an A4 2.0T up to around 300hp/ft lbs? I assume this will be more than just an ECU flash. And since I live in California, I'm not into having a car modded to the point of being pulled over every day.

According to the Stasis site, with an ECU and exhaust you go from 211hp and 258ft/lb to 261hp and 305ft/lb. To get over 300hp it looks like they put in a new turbo.

I've never driven an evo or the like for a comparison but I love everything about my A4 except for the power, and even then I'm pretty happy with it because I was coming from a v6 dakota so I was used to being slow. Interior and everything else is fantastic. I was looking at trading up for an S4 but now I think I will just chip it and wait for the new models to come out in a couple of years instead.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Kashwashwa posted:

This doesn't make sense - in Canada they're almost the exact same price brand new. the Evo MR starts at $51,798 and the S4 starts at $53,000...

Canada's pricing is a mess. Here is a brand new '12 MR for $34,990 near me in SoCal.

http://www.southcoastmitsubishi.com/new/Mitsubishi/2012-Mitsubishi-Lancer+Evolution-costa-mesa-8dcb59730a0d048e00e392184c3fb429.htm

The price is REALLY good, and they have like 74 of them in the same range. You can see why I'm hesitant to spend nearly 10 grand more for a used S4. $30,990 for a new '11 GSR and $31,990 for a new '12.

Edit: I should also mention that this dealership is the #1 Evo dealer by volume in the US and actually ships their cars all over the country and even world since you can buy it there and ship it to you for less than most people can buy them locally.

BoostCreep fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 12, 2012

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

This might be more of a general question, but I feel as if I'm having buyer's remorse over my '11 GTI. I've had it since June and have put 5K miles on it, and it hasn't skipped a beat. I love it right now, but I feel like a year or two down the line I'm gonna have some soul-crushing and wallet-emptying issue with it.

Is this normal? Please talk me down :ohdear:

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007

asmallrabbit posted:

According to the Stasis site, with an ECU and exhaust you go from 211hp and 258ft/lb to 261hp and 305ft/lb. To get over 300hp it looks like they put in a new turbo.

I've never driven an evo or the like for a comparison but I love everything about my A4 except for the power, and even then I'm pretty happy with it because I was coming from a v6 dakota so I was used to being slow. Interior and everything else is fantastic. I was looking at trading up for an S4 but now I think I will just chip it and wait for the new models to come out in a couple of years instead.

A k04 turbo kit will get you to 300HP. APR sells one with the high pressure fuel pump for $4,500. Or you can go big turbo and get even more. That puts you in S4 territory on price basically. You don't get the center differential from the S4 though and the seats etc...

I have a B7 A4 like you were referring to earlier and chipped it is a different car than stock. I am pleased with it, but then I have never driven an STI or and EVO. To be honest I have never gotten to ride in one. I will say I traded my S2000 for it though after looking and looking and then taking the one I bought for a test drive over the weekend. Due in part to my long in traffic commute, and the fact that the A4 felt so refined but still fun to drive.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

shyguy posted:

This might be more of a general question, but I feel as if I'm having buyer's remorse over my '11 GTI. I've had it since June and have put 5K miles on it, and it hasn't skipped a beat. I love it right now, but I feel like a year or two down the line I'm gonna have some soul-crushing and wallet-emptying issue with it.

From what I've seen it's basically 50/50. I'd tape a penny over the door, put a rabbits foot on the rearview and hope for the best.

Real Talk: If there are problems, you'll notice them before the warranty runs out in all likelihood.

It's a great car, enjoy it. :)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

shyguy posted:

I've been in this state with my A3 since I bought it 5 years ago. Take that as you will.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

shyguy posted:

It pretty much means subconsciously you know you've spent more on the car than you really should have.

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.

BoostCreep posted:

Thanks for the input! What about your '11 STI didn't you like if you don't mind me asking?

You make a very good point about getting bored of an A4. I think most of the problems that I had with my two Evo's ('03, '06) and STI ('09) is that the interior was so lackluster and sparse. You get two knobs, a couple switches, and the car basically drives itself. Both cars went like rockets, but they felt like $15,000 cars with big engines, which is what they are.

Exactly what you describe here, and a bit more. I spent a lot of money trying to straighten up the handling and steering to get it to a point where I was satisfied with it and found that what I ended up with was an amazing track car, and a poo poo daily driver. It got to the point where my wife wouldn't ride in the car, and I was so uncomfortable and pissed off after my daily commute (which changed from 10m each way to 30-1h each way depending on traffic) that I had to make a change.

The S4 does everything that the STI did and more, only comfortably and I can hear the goddamn stereo at 50+ mph!

Frankly I was paying enough in mods for the STI on a monthly basis that cutting that expense alone justified the payment for the S4.

BoostCreep posted:

I went and test drove a 2012 Evo MR last night and have to say I was extremely impressed (I know, I know). I've never felt seats as comfortable and snug as the upgraded leather/alcantara Recaros in that car. And as much as I hate to admit it, the dual clutch auto tranny was wonderful and I am completely addicted to flipping the flappy paddles behind the steering wheel. I went late at night and the salesman was bored, so we went for a more spirited test drive than normal. This was the touring package, which is supposed to be more grown up than the regular Evo, and it was. It has thicker glass, extra sound deadening, bilstein suspension, no huge wing, and just felt more grown up. Basically it didn't feel like an econobox muscle car. I didn't even notice any squeaks or rattles in the interior! (give it a couple thousand miles though, I'm sure.) But overall, the car felt more solid and refined.

I'm going to continue to pimp the S4 here. The seats in it are a lot like the Recaro Sportster CS, extremely comfortable while being snug enough to hold you in place (far better than the poo poo STi GR Seats). The DCT in the S4 is good for the power the car puts down, and has been proven stable at higher power levels on the Stage 2 cars (~400lbft ~410hp). Do some reading around about the MR transmission before you jump on that because I've heard the things like glass and given that you've owned STI's and Evo's before - I can't imagine that you're not going to mod the car.

I'm surprised to hear though that you liked the Evo interior, my impression of it was that it wasn't a significant upgrade from the STI in any sense. I drove the MR twice because I have a tendency to be over enthusiastic after a test drive and the second time around realized that I wasn't so pleased about it afterall. So make sure.

BoostCreep posted:

Now I need to go test drive the A4 and a used S4 if I can find one with the options I'm looking for. The biggest problem my brain has with the S4 route is that I can get a brand new fully loaded Evo MR Touring for less than a 3 year old S4 with 40,000 miles. And a new A4 with all the options I want out prices the Evo too. But I have found some used A4 S-Lines with the exact package I want for upper 20's which is more doable. Does anyone have an idea of how much modding it would take to get an A4 2.0T up to around 300hp/ft lbs? I assume this will be more than just an ECU flash. And since I live in California, I'm not into having a car modded to the point of being pulled over every day.

I totally get your logic here, gotta get what's going to make you happy on all fronts which includes financially. If you're anything like me though make certain that it's going to make you happy for a couple of years or you'll be left spending the money you would have spent to get it right to begin with ;).

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

shyguy posted:

If it makes you feel any better I've had my 07 GTI for 5 years and 75k miles, and I've only ever had two problems with it: broken radiator fan, and a seized A/C compressor. Both replaced under warranty.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

allonblack posted:

I spent a lot of money trying to straighten up the handling and steering to get it to a point where I was satisfied with it and found that what I ended up with was an amazing track car, and a poo poo daily driver. It got to the point where my wife wouldn't ride in the car, and I was so uncomfortable and pissed off after my daily commute (which changed from 10m each way to 30-1h each way depending on traffic) that I had to make a change.

There was definitely room for improvement in the handling department on my '09 STI. If I kept that car longer I would have started getting into sway bars and coilovers too. The funny thing with both Evo's I owned though is I never wanted to touch the suspension or handling. They were just perfect from the factory in my opinion. The steering and turn-in were spot on and if anything, too sensitive for the terrible Los Angeles streets. I don't think I would have to do anything to the suspension on an Evo, but that doesn't mean I could keep the mod bug away for long. But at least I wouldn't need to increase the power by 100 just to be happy like I'd have to do with the A4. And if what Aflicted said is true about needing $4,500 for a turbo kit just to get near the 300 mark, then that probably writes the A4 off my list. I don't want to need to replace most of the exhaust system just to get to stock Evo performance numbers. So I guess I'm looking at used S4s for a comparison.

allonblack posted:

I'm going to continue to pimp the S4 here. The seats in it are a lot like the Recaro Sportster CS, extremely comfortable while being snug enough to hold you in place (far better than the poo poo STi GR Seats). The DCT in the S4 is good for the power the car puts down, and has been proven stable at higher power levels on the Stage 2 cars (~400lbft ~410hp). Do some reading around about the MR transmission before you jump on that because I've heard the things like glass and given that you've owned STI's and Evo's before - I can't imagine that you're not going to mod the car.

From what I've been reading, 400 ft/lbs is about the max for the stock clutch pack on the TC-SST transmission, but I wouldn't be near that so shouldn't be a problem. What does worry me a bit about the 4.2 in the S4 is the sludging on valves from the DI system. Have you read into that at all? I was reading up to 40hp loss in 10,000 miles from one article (I think in this thread maybe?), and the only way to fix the problem is dismantle the intake and polish the valves by hand. That sounds pretty intense for a daily driver.

allonblack posted:

I'm surprised to hear though that you liked the Evo interior, my impression of it was that it wasn't a significant upgrade from the STI in any sense. I drove the MR twice because I have a tendency to be over enthusiastic after a test drive and the second time around realized that I wasn't so pleased about it afterall. So make sure.

Don't get me wrong, the interior is cheap and plastic in the areas that weren't replaced with the MR interior. The seats, center console, front door card inserts, and steering wheel were all swapped from the base Lancer for upgraded materials in the MR. All of those bits are really nice with quality materials that have a nice soft touch. Everything else however is still base Lancer lovely. The rear doors are hard plastic on hard plastic, the dash is untextured plastic, the sun visors are an absolute joke, etc. But when you slide into those amazing Recaros and flip the magnesium paddle shifters through the gears and listen to the transmission automatically rev match and downshift into turns, you tend to forget about the cheap bits here and there. At least on the first test drive. I wish it were still possible to take cars for weekend long test drives like in the old days to get a real feel for the car in daily life.

Basically I need to drive some Audis this weekend to see how much better the interiors really are. I'm coming from an 11 year old Jeep Cherokee, so that might be skewing my opinion of the Lancer's interior.

I plan on tracking down an S4 and A4 for sure before making any decisions. I have a feeling I'll fall in love with the interior of the Audi and the Mitsu will fall behind, but we'll see. Thanks again for all the input!

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
I started working on a timing belt replacement in my 2007 GTI today, but I ran into a(nother) small problem. Something broke off of the upper timing belt cover, unbeknownst to me, and fell into the tooth of the belt. As I was turning the crankshaft sprocket to get the camshaft to the TDC marking, I guess the broken plastic got pulled into the crankshaft sprocket, pushing the belt out and causing it to jump a tooth (or two).

Now, there is a marking for TDC on the crankshaft pulley and the lower timing belt guard.

My assumption is that I can go ahead and get the camshaft markings lined up, remove the timing belt, then, finger tighten the crankshaft pulley back on and adjust it to it's TDC marking, put the belt on and be good to go.

Is this accurate?

Also, gently caress the engine mount. gently caress it right in it's god drat ear.

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.

BoostCreep posted:

From what I've been reading, 400 ft/lbs is about the max for the stock clutch pack on the TC-SST transmission, but I wouldn't be near that so shouldn't be a problem. What does worry me a bit about the 4.2 in the S4 is the sludging on valves from the DI system. Have you read into that at all? I was reading up to 40hp loss in 10,000 miles from one article (I think in this thread maybe?), and the only way to fix the problem is dismantle the intake and polish the valves by hand. That sounds pretty intense for a daily driver.

Well if you don't plan on heavily modding the Evo then you'll be OK on that front. My problem is that I get bored eventually and then the modding starts ;). The Evo turns and handles a lot better than the STI out of the box so you're already at a better starting point.

The DI problem is a thing of the past from what I've read regarding the B8 S4, it seems that it's primarily a problem with the big V8's found in the RS4 and previous S4's. See here for 30k B8 internals http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/424549-Putting-Carbon-Buildup-to-rest-I-hope?highlight=carbon+buildup. I'd be interested in checking out any articles that you've found on the topic.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

allonblack posted:

The DI problem is a thing of the past from what I've read regarding the B8 S4, it seems that it's primarily a problem with the big V8's found in the RS4 and previous S4's. See here for 30k B8 internals http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/424549-Putting-Carbon-Buildup-to-rest-I-hope?highlight=carbon+buildup. I'd be interested in checking out any articles that you've found on the topic.

Ah, thanks for the link. Here is an '08 RS4 with 39k miles, so it seems I would have to be looking at '09+ cars only. (linked from your link)
http://forums.quattroworld.com/rs4b7/msgs/58966.phtml

Nasty.

Unfortunately B8 S4's are way out of my price range. The lowest I'm seeing within 300 miles of SoCal is $45k for a '10 with 12k miles. The only S4 in my price range is a '10 with a salvage title and automatic for $33k. I just don't think a B8 S4 is in the cards right now. I could afford a B7, but I don't want to deal with carbon buildup like that. Ugh why couldn't Audi get more power out of their 2 liter turbo. :argh:

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.

BoostCreep posted:

Ah, thanks for the link. Here is an '08 RS4 with 39k miles, so it seems I would have to be looking at '09+ cars only. (linked from your link)
http://forums.quattroworld.com/rs4b7/msgs/58966.phtml

Nasty.

Unfortunately B8 S4's are way out of my price range. The lowest I'm seeing within 300 miles of SoCal is $45k for a '10 with 12k miles. The only S4 in my price range is a '10 with a salvage title and automatic for $33k. I just don't think a B8 S4 is in the cards right now. I could afford a B7, but I don't want to deal with carbon buildup like that. Ugh why couldn't Audi get more power out of their 2 liter turbo. :argh:

Yeah I really wouldn't do a B7 as that's where you run into trouble. Plus you're in the position where if you want more power you're immediately looking at paying for a turbo setup as there's not a lot to be had out of the NA engines.

I looked on autotrader and there's a few Certified 2009's out there (on the east coast mind you - road trip!) in the higher 30's that I bet you could talk down a bit. Unfortunately for you the cars are holding their value pretty drat well. Ah well, next time! :)

Have you thought at all on a R32 or a GTI? What's the new Golf R going to cost?

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007

allonblack posted:

Yeah I really wouldn't do a B7 as that's where you run into trouble. Plus you're in the position where if you want more power you're immediately looking at paying for a turbo setup as there's not a lot to be had out of the NA engines.

I looked on autotrader and there's a few Certified 2009's out there (on the east coast mind you - road trip!) in the higher 30's that I bet you could talk down a bit. Unfortunately for you the cars are holding their value pretty drat well. Ah well, next time! :)

Have you thought at all on a R32 or a GTI? What's the new Golf R going to cost?

I want to say the new Golf R is going to be mid 30s. I took a spin in a B7 S4 with the 4.2 and wasn't overwhelmed. I went home and then read about the coking problems they have and walked away.

The chip on an A4 will get your in the 250HP 290Ft/lbs area, the k04 turbo swap I mentioned pushes you just over the 300HP mark, and a big turbo will push you on into the mid 300s and up. Price goes from 600 for a chip to thousands for the turbo swaps. From what I can tell 1/4 of the cost of a turbo swap is rebuilding or replacing the hpfp with something a bit more robust and reliable at higher pressures. 2008 quattro 6mt A4's around here are going for low 20k so tack on the 4.5k for the k04 setup from APR or 6.5k for the big turbo + 1k for the intercooler and miscellaneous poo poo. So call it 8k to get 375HP 352Ft/lbs (according to the APR website) tack on the 22 - 24k purchase price of the car and you are at 30 - 32k. I cannot say anything about the longevity of that however.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Well last week my 2010 GTI was totalled. (Drunk driver drove me off the road into pole. Scary but I didn't get hurt thankfully). So I am just going to put the money I get back into a 2012 model with better options.

Was wondering if anyone uses one of these tow hook mount licence plate things for their front plate:

http://www.usmillworks.com/vw.html

Contemplating it since last time I bought a car from the same dealer they gave me the option to mount the front plate or not even though it is required in my state.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Aflicted posted:

I want to say the new Golf R is going to be mid 30s.

I was at the dealer Thursday and he said MSRP is about 36. I think. But yeah, definitely mid 30s.

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.

vw.com posted:

2-Door.
2-Door $33,990
2-Door with Sunroof and Navigation $35,490

4-Door.
4-Door with Sunroof and Navigation $36,090*

2.0L, 256 hp 4-cylinder engine, 6-speed manual transmission

Not too bad, though that's STI money which makes me wonder what the better car would be.

Is the AWD system Haldex? Anyone have any idea what more the 2.0L is going to be good for power wise? Isn't the Euro version of the car +15hp or so?

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007

allonblack posted:

2.0L, 256 hp 4-cylinder engine, 6-speed manual transmission

Not too bad, though that's STI money which makes me wonder what the better car would be.

Is the AWD system Haldex? Anyone have any idea what more the 2.0L is going to be good for power wise? Isn't the Euro version of the car +15hp or so?

It is indeed a Haldex system. The motor has all the performance and engine specifications of an S3 motor so I would not be surprised if it was the 2.0TSI with a K04 bolted on it. Probably the same Haldex units too. The more I think about it, I would not be surprised if they were sharing a lot more than that with the S3. Though it doesn't make a whole lot of sense in other markets that get the S3, but here its logical.

Edited for clarity.

Aflicted fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 14, 2012

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How would you guys rate the reliability of a 2001 Passat GLS Wagon at 120k for $5k?

As far I can tell it's been garaged it's whole life and the interior is literally perfect.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tab8715 posted:

How would you guys rate the reliability of a 2001 Passat GLS Wagon at 120k for $5k?

As far I can tell it's been garaged it's whole life and the interior is literally perfect.

It all depends on maintenance and history by the time any car is over 10 years old.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

meatpimp posted:

It all depends on maintenance and history by the time any car is over 10 years old.

Are VWs considered reliable? I just need a cheap car, and this happens to be in the area.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

Tab8715 posted:

Are VWs considered reliable? I just need a cheap car, and this happens to be in the area.

I'd run the gently caress away. I mean you could get lucky, but if you're looking for a cheap car, you're probably not in the position to deal with broken poo poo, which you'd have a 50/50 chance of the car being full of. That being said the Passats generally seem to do better than similar-year Golf/GTIs from what I see, so you know. 01 isn't the best year though.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

Oh man, this question is like blood spilled into shark-infested waters...

I think you can do better for reliability than a $5k 120k mile Passat, but it depends on the service history of that vehicle. Perhaps it has made it to 120k with no major issues and will be one of those VWs that lasts until your kid puts it into a tree on prom night.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

For every person who tells you their VW has been great and lasted forever, there's another person who will tell you he's had a catastrophic engine failure or HPFP failure.

Always look at the service history before you pull the trigger. If that checks out then you better pray to whatever deity is you believe in that the car doesn't have some hidden catastrophe waiting to happen. It's anecdotal evidence but when poo poo goes wrong on a preowned German car you often end up paying more for the repairs than the amount you spent to buy the car.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
There are years and models that are generally known to be good and known to be bad. I purposely bought a 98 Jetta (last year of MK3) instead of getting a 99 or 2000, which had a lot of electrical problems.

I don't know much about Passats though.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

shyguy posted:

I've had my GTI since Thanksgiving 2009 with 20,000+ miles on it and here is everything that has gone wrong:
  • 1 EPC light which went away when I restarted the car
  • 1 episode of fuel gauge bitchiness where it read E after a fillup until I restarted the car

So what I'm saying is, things could go horribly wrong, or nothing could go wrong. I haven't had anything go wrong and I hope it lasts beyond the powertrain warranty. I'm sure something will go wrong down the line, but the car hasn't given me any reason to assume I should be expecting a disaster event.

Tab8715 posted:

Could be fine, but VWs of that era have a hard-earned reputation for emulating British Leyland products for electrical reliability.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Tab8715 posted:

Gonna quote a great post that someone wrote up for me when I was looking at my passat over the summer.

nm posted:

Please don't give bad advice.
You're correct, that this generation of VW/Audis hve some issues, but lets be clear, the 4 motion system is certainly the most reliable system on this car. In fact, the very simple torsen diff is exactly the type of thing that the germans still do well. I'd venture that the awd system on that car is among the most reliable made, more so than subaru's VLSDs.
A run down of the 2.8L automatic Passat.
As a 2002, this is what is called a B5.5 Passat, it is based on the B5 Audi A4 with a longer floorpan, however, the rear end (suspension and diff) share parts with the Audi A6.
The drivetrain on this is a mixed bag.
If you're in a non-emissions state, the 2.8L is actually a pretty good motor. The 2.8L shares most of its internals with the 2.7TT, though without the boost, obviously. Forged bits, pretty fancy and robust cooling and oiling. These motors are mostly bulletproof. No, really.
Its weaknesses:
They leak oil like a sieve, mostly through the valve cover gaskets (which can be fixed for a reasonable price if the shop knows how to do it without service position).
The temp sensor will fail at some point and if its cold, your car won't start. It is a $20 part that can be changed easily if you have the hands of a 6 year old.
The cat dies around 100k mi. The cat is amazingly expensive (over $1000). Car will throw an intermittent CEL while it is dying.
The transmission is a ZF box that has been used in every german car you can think of from the boxter to the 3 series to well, audis. It has serious heat issues. VW said that it had a lifetime service interval. This is a baldfaced lie. 60k mi at the most. Get it changed and change it often and you'll be fine. Keep it until 100k and wonder where reverse went when you cross 120k.
The timing belt on the 2.8 is due at 75k (the 1.8t is at 60k) regardless of the manual. You need to do everything, the water pump, pulleys, and DO THE drat THERMOSTAT -- nothing worst than doing 8 hours of work or paying a mechanic $800 to have a $30 part fail and have to do all that labor all over again.

Most Passat horror stories are from the 1.8T or w8 engines, which are nightmares.

The electrics are interesting.
A 2002 passat could have one fo two electrical system. The early 2002s (evidenced by a single DIN radio and traditional wiper blades) have a traditional system. later ones (have a double din and "aero" wipers) have a CAN bus. The early 2002 is reasonably reliable, and I don't know anything about the can bus but ahven't heard of any real issues unless you try to install an aftermarket radio and are an amateur.
It is mostly trouble free, if you keep it dry. This is a problem on these cars. Water can leak from the sunroof and from the cowl tray area. The cowl tray area shouldn't be an issue on 2002+. If you're sunroof free, you should be good. Check for signs of water in the front footwells otherwise. There is a recall on the sunroof issues, make sure that gets performed. If water gets in the footwell it can take out the transmission control unit and the comfort and convenience unit (if any electronics at all in the car don't work, this is likely the cause and avoid).
If you keep dry, the only quasi electric common problem is the airbag clockspring failing.

Everything else
The one area that these cars are amazing for is rust resistance. I lived in Minnesota for 7 years. These cars don't rust. VW/Audi has some amazing rustproofing.

This is where the cars have failing. Your wheel bearings will fail. You LCAs will need to be replaced as will the TREs. (These are expensive and labor intensive). You CV boots suck. Basically the suspension sucks. However, if you're not a loving dubber and don't slam it or put 20in wheels on it, it won't be so bad.
--

Basically, it can be a reasonable car. Get it inspected by the best VW shop in the area. Do maintenance religiously. And if you pay $10k you're a moron. It isn't a toyota or something though.
Don't buy a 1.8t or w8 (or even the TDI -- the 2.0 has failing oil pumps)

A lot of this should be similar for that wagon, and let me also add in the troubles I've had with mine.

I've been driving an 02 Passat GLS 4motion for a few months now, and I'd say that the above advice was pretty good. The tie rods had to be replaced, and I serviced the brakes at the same time. Also changed the fuel filter and spark plugs (really easy), and air filter, and it's been running great. I need to look into replacing the valve cover gaskets and maybe look at cleaning the pcv system (there's a light oil smell when idling when it's below freezing, with no noticeable oil leaks). Going to do that when it warms up while I change the timing belt(make sure you know when the timing belt was changed, you might be coming up on replacement time if it was originally changed at 60K). The only electronics issue I've had is the drivers side door sometimes not registering that it's closed, but locking the door a 2nd time always clears it, so I haven't looked into opening my door to fix that yet, either by fixing the solder joint or replacing the unit.

I do love driving the car though (I've taken it through 6 inches of snow and it drove through it like it was nothing), but yeah, if any of those things above haven't been dealt with already (or haven't been dealt with in the past 60K miles) you're probably looking at more than 5 grand to have a reliable car. If it's been garaged or you're in a rust free state, some of those issues probably won't be as big of deal (the tie rods for example, were simply rusted to the point where you couldn't adjust them at all.)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Anyone have a Malone or Revo tune for the 2.0 TDI engine? I'm debating going for the Revo stage 1 but I have a lot of warranty left. I'd rather not have to deal with multiple VW dealers if my preferred dealer declines warranty service if they found out about the tune. Judging by the guide, I could take it to the dealer for Revo in town, have them pull the ECU and flash it in a matter of an hour or so. Supposed +45 bhp and +53 ft/lb increase, would take it to near 290 ft/lb and 200 hp.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

shyguy posted:

I get this feeling every couple weeks with my '11 Golf TDI, although mine is more of a "wish I had bought the GTI or just kept my GLI and spent the 20g on my bug."

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.
Boostcreep (and anyone else interested)

I had an A4 Avant S-Line over the weekend as a loaner while my S4 was serviced.

First off, I'm really bummed that I couldn't get my S4 in an avant, and furthermore that the Avants are going away as this is most definitely the car I would buy my wife in a couple of years.

As far as the car from a performance perspective, it was actually an impressive little car. I really enjoyed the s-line suspension (it felt a lot like my car), it was responsive, agile, and the sport seats were great. The engine left a little to be desired, though I suspect if it would have been a manual I would have had more control over that. The sport mode was an improvement but still not quite up to snuff.

I could see with the added power/tq from the APR Stage 2 kit being reasonably satisfied with the car but in all honesty I'm not certain that I wouldn't be eyeing the Stage 3 kit, even if it was just my wife's car.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009
I'm sure someone brought this up sometime ago, but

was there a recall/campaign on VW/Audis about the whispering/buzzing noise coming from the window/door at high speeds?

I've never drove my car over 70mph, but I finally did while doing a cross-country trip and realized that the wind noise is audible and gets quiet loud over 80mph (and it gets worse when i press the rubber thing that touches the window (like it's too far out?).

so 2 questions:
1. Was/Is there a campaign on fixing mis-aligned windows/door that would make cars make high pitched sounds at high speeds?
2. Would the above still be covered almost 2 years after purchase?

and I guess one more

3. How much would it cost to get this 'fixed'?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Dr. Jackal posted:

was there a recall/campaign on VW/Audis about the whispering/buzzing noise coming from the window/door at high speeds?

I've never drove my car over 70mph, but I finally did while doing a cross-country trip and realized that the wind noise is audible and gets quiet loud over 80mph (and it gets worse when i press the rubber thing that touches the window (like it's too far out?).

so 2 questions:
1. Was/Is there a campaign on fixing mis-aligned windows/door that would make cars make high pitched sounds at high speeds?

and I guess one more

I think the rubber door seal and the door alignment problems are different. I told them about wind noise on my GTI and they had refit the rubber seals, which is a minor operation. It did cut down on most noise, but like on certain bridges that get a lot of wind and you are doing 80mph it still happened, but that wasn't most driving so it was fine enough for me. Normal highways doing 80-100 and it wasn't that windy I didn't hear much extra noise.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Dr. Jackal posted:

so 2 questions:

and I guess one more

I noticed this on my drive back from Texas to Co. Going west with a good 40-50mph crosswind the car had HORRIBLE wind noise on the driver's door doing around 80mph. So far that's really been the only time it has been an issue. Although, it seems like my driver's door also leaks just a bit at the top.

Anyone else with a 2009+ TDI get a weird lag at around 2000rpm when only using about half throttle. I'm trying to convince myself that I'm not imagining this.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Does anyone have a spare 17xwhatever "Denver" wheel for sale (or know of any)? My brother let the air out of one of his... the wrong way.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 19, 2012

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Have you checked vwvortex to see if anyone has them for sale? They are selling 18" ones usually, but you never know. My buddy got a complete set of the 18" with tires to put on his rabbit for a decent price.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

The vortex is the best place ever to get used vw parts. Especially if you are a parts hoarder and have stuff to trade.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

I noticed this on my drive back from Texas to Co. Going west with a good 40-50mph crosswind the car had HORRIBLE wind noise on the driver's door doing around 80mph. So far that's really been the only time it has been an issue. Although, it seems like my driver's door also leaks just a bit at the top.

Anyone else with a 2009+ TDI get a weird lag at around 2000rpm when only using about half throttle. I'm trying to convince myself that I'm not imagining this.

This is a real thing, it feels like the power cuts out for a solid second?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007
We've had loads of problems with old Audis, but I found a really, really good deal on a 2000 A4 2.8 that's hard to pass up. Is this a good idea or am I a loving idiot asking to lose all my money?