Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

Congratulations.

Content: Car is loaded on the trailer, and ready to head out at Dark-O-Thirty in the morning. This will be my first event as Solo Director for the region. Not sure how I feel about being dumb enough to volunteer for this, the last week has been pretty interesting and busy.

Good luck! And take some video while you're out there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

The Locator posted:

Congratulations.

Content: Car is loaded on the trailer, and ready to head out at Dark-O-Thirty in the morning. This will be my first event as Solo Director for the region. Not sure how I feel about being dumb enough to volunteer for this, the last week has been pretty interesting and busy.

Just remember to say I'm sorry a lot and acknowledge that everything is your fault (even though none of it is) :)

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Brigdh posted:

Just remember to say I'm sorry a lot and acknowledge that everything is your fault (even though none of it is) :)

Who's getting married? :rimshot:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Podothehobbit posted:

Good luck! And take some video while you're out there!

For the holidays, I added a pair of ContourHD cameras to my existing Go-Pro, so that I could take various odd angles of the same run.

All three of these amazing bits of technology spent the entire day yesterday sitting happily on the kitchen table, precisely where I placed them so that they would not be forgotten.

Yep, that's me.

On the flip side, had a great (if somewhat long) event, with the biggest turnout we've had in a couple years at least, with 122 competition entries and 69 time only entries pre-registered. The results haven't been posted yet, so I don't know what the final numbers were.

Really need to watch the course designers more in the future, with the lower turnouts we've been having, the launch intervals have been getting longer as they've tried to maximize the length of the courses on our small lot. The event yesterday had about a 40 second interval, and we were there far too long because of it. Could have shaved 2-2.5 hours off the event time with a 25 second launch interval course.

Lesson one, learned.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

The Locator posted:

Really need to watch the course designers more in the future, with the lower turnouts we've been having, the launch intervals have been getting longer as they've tried to maximize the length of the courses on our small lot. The event yesterday had about a 40 second interval, and we were there far too long because of it. Could have shaved 2-2.5 hours off the event time with a 25 second launch interval course.

Lesson one, learned.

My club had this happen last year for our first event. All of the event chairs after that literally had everybody in their cars and off the site by 3pm for the rest of the events. :v:

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

For the holidays, I added a pair of ContourHD cameras to my existing Go-Pro, so that I could take various odd angles of the same run.

All three of these amazing bits of technology spent the entire day yesterday sitting happily on the kitchen table, precisely where I placed them so that they would not be forgotten.

Yep, that's me.

On the flip side, had a great (if somewhat long) event, with the biggest turnout we've had in a couple years at least, with 122 competition entries and 69 time only entries pre-registered. The results haven't been posted yet, so I don't know what the final numbers were.

Lesson one, learned.

That was the big thing that impressed me about the Sierra Vista race. A/B + C/D ran with no gaps and you faced hell if you weren't ready to stage/go during your heat.

Also your camera setup sounds boss.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Here's a follow up to my friends Red Car video, only now with just general autocrossing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGlMifQCZYA

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Hahaha Neat video. But the part at the beginning had me expecting a different soundtrack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRdxUFDoQe0&t=21s

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
That is a drat fine video. I can't wait to drive with intent again.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Signed up for a BMW autocross instruction day at the beginning of March! Very psyched for it, my first autocross experience! I convinced my brother to sign up as well, he'll be bringing his new TDI Jetta Sportwagon, which should be funny to see.

Irish Legend
Aug 12, 2011
I am excited for AutoX season to start again down here in Alabama. I have been rolling around on slicks, read bald, tires for two long and have a set of 4 nt555's read to go on the RX8 next week. Now I just need the battery tie down hardware and we are ready to go.

I have only gone 3 times I think since owning the car, but really want to make an effort to go more this year. Plus I want to get some real track time in too, luckily Road Atlanta and Talladega GP are close enough to partake in those events.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
:argh: frozen solid cones took out my nonfunctional right sidemarker light.

Oh god my horrible chipmunk cheeking. The curse of autox pictures.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

:argh: frozen solid cones took out my nonfunctional right sidemarker light.

Oh god my horrible chipmunk cheeking. The curse of autox pictures.

Cool car. Chipmunk cheeking is the worst. No i'm not morbidly obese, just regular obese thank you Mr. Photographer!

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
So here's an odd question. I posted it on our local forum board but still have not heard anything official from the local safety stewards. A few weeks ago I suffered a small fracture in my right ankle and had to get a low leg cast to immobilize it. This has not affected my ability to operate the clutch/brake/gas on my car but I was honestly curious if there was a rule/restriction out there in SCCA land that did not allow drivers to participate with a cast at all. As it is right now I currently have a cast boot that covers the entire foot as well as being able to bear my entire weight on the foot in question.

Has anyone ever run into this issue?

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Podothehobbit posted:

So here's an odd question. I posted it on our local forum board but still have not heard anything official from the local safety stewards. A few weeks ago I suffered a small fracture in my right ankle and had to get a low leg cast to immobilize it. This has not affected my ability to operate the clutch/brake/gas on my car but I was honestly curious if there was a rule/restriction out there in SCCA land that did not allow drivers to participate with a cast at all. As it is right now I currently have a cast boot that covers the entire foot as well as being able to bear my entire weight on the foot in question.

Has anyone ever run into this issue?

If you want something almost official, try posting here: http://www.sccaforums.com/forums

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

Brigdh posted:

If you want something almost official, try posting here: http://www.sccaforums.com/forums

Appreciate the link. Also got an official response from one of our safety stewards, no go :( Can't say i'm surprised but it's still a bummer

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I would imagine you could at least go and do ride-alongs and some volunteering if you want. I learn more on ride-alongs than actually driving my own car.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Rides should be fine, at least in Dixie they were. I had a guy with casts on both ankles from a MotoX accident riding with me all day once.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think i'll be counterweight for a few cars this weekend!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Podothehobbit posted:

Appreciate the link. Also got an official response from one of our safety stewards, no go :( Can't say i'm surprised but it's still a bummer

I'd suggest that you go to the Marana event prepared to run, and have their safety steward make the call. The response you got was from a Phoenix SSS, and of course since they don't have pictures or anything from your doc, they will always err on the side of caution on an online forum.

Email Dave or Rob, and make sure they are cool with you cancelling if the SSS says you shouldn't run, and hope for the best!

Mezmerized Machine
Dec 29, 2008
With the first even this year coming in March, I'm thinking of buying my own helmet. Anyone know of any good places to buy one online or around Greensboro/Charlotte?

I've done a little browsing and I was thinking the Simpson Cruiser FR from Saferacer.com, but I would like to hear anyone else's suggestions.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Mezmerized Machine posted:

With the first even this year coming in March, I'm thinking of buying my own helmet. Anyone know of any good places to buy one online or around Greensboro/Charlotte?

Hmmm, since Z-Max is in Concord, there's gotta be a speed shop around there somewhere, right?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
For autox you can get away with a Snell M, so swing by a motorcycle shop and have at it.

kimbo305 posted:

Hmmm, since Z-Max is in Concord, there's gotta be a speed shop around there somewhere, right?

There's a NASCAR oval in Concord.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
HJC CL-16 is the ticket if you only plan on autocrossing. Snell 2010 and cheap as hell!

Mezmerized Machine
Dec 29, 2008
I went to a local cycle shop today, and the guy pointed me to a Shoei RJ-Platinum R. He said he swears by Shoei, and then proceeded to tell me about his rallycross history, so I'd like to think he knows what he's talking about. It's marked down to $200 which is cheaper than the FR-Cruiser I was looking at, so I may jump on it.

Anyone want to convince me otherwise?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mezmerized Machine posted:

I went to a local cycle shop today, and the guy pointed me to a Shoei RJ-Platinum R. He said he swears by Shoei, and then proceeded to tell me about his rallycross history, so I'd like to think he knows what he's talking about. It's marked down to $200 which is cheaper than the FR-Cruiser I was looking at, so I may jump on it.

Anyone want to convince me otherwise?
Is it SA2010?

Because Shoei says it is M2005. Means it will expire sooner and if you do track days, you'll need to buy a new helmet.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Our local rallycross events no longer allow you to run with a motorcycle helmet either. It has to be SA.

Might not be the case with your local events, but it's possible.

Mezmerized Machine
Dec 29, 2008
From what I've read from my club's rules (https://auto-x.com) it looks like it just needs to be "a helmet". The one I was looking at in the shop said DOT approved, which seemed like it'd be good enough for the autocrosses. I haven't done a track day before, since the nearest track around here is VIR I believe, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be interested. I was thinking the Simpson would be a better choice anyways, since it would be an SA 2010 for just a bit more, just wanted to hear some more experienced opinions.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

If it's for autocross only, go with a Snell M2010 or SA2010 rated helmet for maximum acceptance by different clubs.

If you plan to do any motorsports in a vehicle equipped with a roll-bar or cage, get the SA (they are designed to survive getting beat against a cage while driving in rally's and other stupid stuff, M ratings will die).

If you plan to ever do any open-track stuff, get the SA rating.

The M will be cheaper, but less widely accepted by different clubs and different motorsports.

Stick with the Snell rating as well, for acceptance reasons.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Podothehobbit posted:

Yeah I think i'll be counterweight for a few cars this weekend!

I didn't see your name in the results, did you make it out and they tell you that you couldn't run with the cast, or did you decide not to go (or just go and do rides)?

From the videos, looks like it was a pretty great course.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Discovery Parts and OG Racing are good online retailers. They are NASA sponsors too, so when NASA comes around they are likely to have parts trailers (Discovery at Charlotte Motor Speedway and OG at VIR). Sneed's Speed Shop is local. VIR has a pro shop too. I'll ask around about other local shops. It's always nice to try before you buy.

Your club may not require Snell or SA rated helmets yet, but most are going that way if not already. It's better to be safe than sorry, especially if you think track days might be in your future (VIR is a fantastic track by the way).

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
If you're going to just get an M rated helmet I would just get something off motorcyclegear.com (formerly newenough.com) I've gotten all of my motorcycle gear from them and they have big discounts on stuff. SafeRacer is also a good place from my experience. I've gotten all of my gear for racing in lemons from them and never had any issues.

On another note. Are strut tower bars legal in Stock classes? I was thinking of getting one for my Miata to stop it from shimmying when I hit bumps on the road. You can see the dash shake a bit when it happens. It also happened in my friends miata so it seems like it's a 90-93 problem from the lack of stiffening braces.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

NinjaTech posted:

If you're going to just get an M rated helmet I would just get something off motorcyclegear.com (formerly newenough.com) I've gotten all of my motorcycle gear from them and they have big discounts on stuff. SafeRacer is also a good place from my experience. I've gotten all of my gear for racing in lemons from them and never had any issues.

On another note. Are strut tower bars legal in Stock classes? I was thinking of getting one for my Miata to stop it from shimmying when I hit bumps on the road. You can see the dash shake a bit when it happens. It also happened in my friends miata so it seems like it's a 90-93 problem from the lack of stiffening braces.

Nope. In Stock you get either a front OR rear (not both) sway bar, minor spacers, and shocks/struts.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

Phone posted:

Nope. In Stock you get either a front OR rear (not both) sway bar, minor spacers, and shocks/struts.

ah darn, probably why I didn't see anything about them being allowed when I skimmed the rulebook. I think I might just get one and unbolt the bar before tech. Which sway bar do you think would be most beneficial now that we can do front or rear? I'm probably going to pick up some tokico illuminas from my neighbor as long as he doesn't want a lot for them.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Front. It'll make the car push, but it's a lot faster.

If you have a 1.6L, look into STS.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

NinjaTech posted:

ah darn, probably why I didn't see anything about them being allowed when I skimmed the rulebook. I think I might just get one and unbolt the bar before tech. Which sway bar do you think would be most beneficial now that we can do front or rear? I'm probably going to pick up some tokico illuminas from my neighbor as long as he doesn't want a lot for them.
IIRC for STS you can install the bracing that later cars came with -- so the front and rear subframe bits are fair game and should help a good bit. You may want to check on that though.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I have no desire to be in sts. I don't have the cash to race in that class anyways. I'm just going to be running in ST1 with the crappy tires I have for now and add the few things I can as I go.

I mainly want the strut tower bar for street use since the whole dash shake thing is annoying.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I finished my season in review video for our local club series.

Good year!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgD7ZufWOrU

CatBus
May 12, 2001

Who wants a mustache ride?
This could go in the "stupid questions" thread, but I think it is better suited here. I was given a killer deal on a bone stock 1982 Datsun 280zx (non turbo 2+2) in December, and I thought it might be fun to autocross it a few times this summer. I am in Lexington, Ky, and the local scene is pretty active. In 2006- 2007 I spectators a few events.

Anyway, down to my real question. The brakes are going to need a complete pads/rotor replacement. Is it worth going with non-standard pads (metallic sintered or ceramic). I do not intend to sink any serious money into this car, but there seem to budget options for all pad types. I have less than $1k in the car at this point, but since the brakes need work anyway, I will consider non-standard options. Is there anything else you would suggest (aside from tires, since I'm not going to spring for those)?

Thanks!

CatBus fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
How thrashed are the bushings? They can be cheap but labour intensive.

• Locked thread