Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I'd like to buy disposable bowls/spoons for my mac&cheese and cheerios needs. What size bowls do you recommend? I usually add 1 cup of milk to 1 cup cereal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

UnfurledSails posted:

I'd like to buy disposable bowls/spoons for my mac&cheese and cheerios needs. What size bowls do you recommend? I usually add 1 cup of milk to 1 cup cereal.

Small to Medium.
Seriously, what the gently caress?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

UnfurledSails posted:

Max Temkin posted:

It's pretty amazing that our society has reached a point where the effort necessary to extract oil from the ground, ship it to a refinery, turn it into plastic, shape it appropriately, truck it to a store, buy it, and bring it home is considered less effort than what it takes to just wash the spoon when you're done with it.

Buy small bowls. At least that way you're minimizing your resource use and aren't fooling your subconscious into thinking that you're eating less than you actually are.

But seriously, just get some dish soap.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Zotwoz posted:

I'm sending a book to Germany as a gift using USPS flat rate shipping. I know how to do this kind of thing domestically, but what extra steps, exactly, do I need to take to ship internationally? I've read guides and have a general idea, but I want to be 100% sure that this thing doesn't get held up in customs for too long or returned to sender.

Should be pretty straightforward. Write on the customs form that it's a a book and send it away. The post office should have all the little forms you need. You can maybe save some bucks by shipping it media mail, but I'm not sure if you can do that internationally or not. If they're not too busy at the post office, the clerk can probably help you with it too. And even if they're busy, I guess, but everyone else will hate you for taking so long at the counter.

e: Media mail is domestic only.

stubblyhead fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 17, 2012

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Besesoth posted:

But seriously, just get some dish soap.

I live in a college dorm. It's just easier on a tight schedule to just eat and get rid of the mess. When I said size I meant 12/16/20/32 oz size bowls. I guess small or medium means around 16 oz?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

UnfurledSails posted:

I live in a college dorm. It's just easier on a tight schedule to just eat and get rid of the mess. When I said size I meant 12/16/20/32 oz size bowls. I guess small or medium means around 16 oz?

Dude why not just buy like these: http://www.amazon.com/Kelloggs-Cereal-Favorites-Variety-Single/dp/B000CS9ZWO and these http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Mac-Original-2-05-Ounce-Microwave/dp/B000Q92QIE/ref=sr_1_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1326778413&sr=1-1 (obviously at a regular store so you don't pay high shipping) and skip the separate bowls?

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

UnfurledSails posted:

Have you ever been to the grocery store? You do know you can look at the bowls before you buy them, right?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

UnfurledSails posted:

A 16 oz bowl would be entirely full if you use exactly one cup milk and 1 cup cheerios.

If you want convenience while not being a wasteful dick, put the cheerios and milk into a shaker cup like this: http://www.amazon.com/BodyTech-Bodytech-Shaker-Bottle-piece/dp/B00012NDVU

Then just carry it with you and rinse it out in a bathroom.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

baquerd posted:

A 16 oz bowl would be entirely full if you use exactly one cup milk and 1 cup cheerios.

Well no because cheerios have holes in them, so you could probably fit more than a cup of milk along with the cup of cheerios.

Also stop being wasteful and just get some plastic bowls at the loving dollar store already.

e: reusable plastic bowls

e2: a lot of reusable plastic dishes are melamine, which is not microwave safe. so don't get those if you're going to put them in the microwave. or do. whatever.

stubblyhead fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 17, 2012

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

This is a temporary situation; I'll be back to living and eating like a normal human being by next week. I'm not experienced in US measurements.Thanks everyone.

E: Yeah I'll try to find reusable bowls if I can.

UnfurledSails fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 17, 2012

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
For cheerios at least you should really have like reusable bowls you can rinse out.
e: Only a week? Uh 20 oz I guess.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

UnfurledSails posted:

You can take them back to your home county with you and share the wonders of American technology with your people.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

We're leaving the small/stupid area and going into [reserve the next few pages for this discussion]. If you have specific questions you can PM me or maybe see if you can start a threat in SHSC. I'll briefly answet these ones.

Thank you and thanks to everybody else who replied. The answers you have provided have given me the direction and resources I needed, so this should keep me plenty busy for the next couple weeks or so.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know
I looked at the Antique Roadshow thread, but it is closed (and a year old!).

I have a few china teacup/saucer sets that I just got from my grandma. I wouldn't mind getting a few bucks for them, although I know that none of them are going to make me rich or anything. Does anyone know of a website where I can get a value for them? I looked but all I could find were ones that wanted you to sign up and they involved a fee. Or if there's anyone out there on the forums who knows the value of these things and wouldn't mind giving me a value of 6-8 chinaware sets, please feel free to PM. I can take photos and give the writing on the bottom if need be.

A website that has this information is decent enough though, if anyone knows of anything like that.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
If I'm writing a check, can the bank reject it if I write non numeric words on the ______ Dollars line? Like if I'm pissed about cutting a check to someone and I write

Pay to the Order of Dipshit, $300.00
three hundred loving dollars,
gently caress you signed ixo

If the person laughs and accepts it, could the bank still kick it back? This is not an immediately relevant question, I just had the thought when I was driving home tonight.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
I don't think the bank is going to accept a check that's "pay to the order of Dipshit". That part at least has to have the guys name.

As long as the check has the correct account number, your signature, the name of the payee, and a clearly determinable amount, the bank probably won't kick it back.

Why don'y you just do what everyone else does and put "sexual favors" in the memo line.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

UnfurledSails posted:

This is a temporary situation; I'll be back to living and eating like a normal human being by next week. I'm not experienced in US measurements.Thanks everyone.

Your situation reminds me of what I do when ultralight hiking. I've got a tiny camping stove and a titanium cup/pot. All meals are dry and packed in ziplock or vacuum bags. I heat the water in the cup, dump it into the bag, insert bag into the cup as a sort of liner, secure with a rubber band. Bam. Easy meal, with no need to wash dishes, which is great if you're not near a water source.

So, there you go: Have one real bowl or pot to serve as a shell, and then use bags as liners. They're cheap and you can recycle them in many cities, so long as you buy ones that are made of LDPE.

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

ixo posted:

If I'm writing a check, can the bank reject it if I write non numeric words on the ______ Dollars line? Like if I'm pissed about cutting a check to someone and I write

Pay to the Order of Dipshit, $300.00
three hundred loving dollars,
gently caress you signed ixo

If the person laughs and accepts it, could the bank still kick it back? This is not an immediately relevant question, I just had the thought when I was driving home tonight.

It won't even get accepted with dipshit in the payee line. If some dumb teller does take it it'll get returned to his account. No one cares if you put loving in the dollars line though. Also services is funny and we see them all day but don't put drugs or prostitution in the memo line because an uptight teller could possibly issue a report based on that.

Buh
May 17, 2008
I just paid for something with paypal and I noticed that my 'contact details' include a mobile phone number that's definitely not mine. The number I have now is the only one I've ever had. I have no idea how long the wrong number's been there, might have been years without me noticing.

How could this have happened, and how paranoid should I be?

Litch991
Sep 14, 2005
[ediy] iPhone question answered. Thanks!

Litch991 fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 18, 2012

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
Oh I didn't mean actually putting "dipshit" in the payee line. It'd be the proper name, Timothy T. Dipshit of course.

And yea I like to have fun with the memo line sometimes. "grandson's birthday" on the power bill, "alimony" on the mortgage, "hush money" on check transfers to the wife's account, etc. it's there, why not use it! I probably won't ever swear at anyone as I pay them, except maybe the next time I owe for a traffic ticket. But good to know that I could!

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Why don'y you just do what everyone else does and put "sexual favors" in the memo line.

That reminds me of college. My fraternity's treasurer was going through old paperwork from 10 years previous one time, figuring out what should be kept and what could be tossed. All our old cancelled checks were in there too, all with stuff like that on the memo line. I guess they particularly gave a hard time to the lady that worked as their cook, usually having put down 'blowjobs' or 'stripteases' or what have you. A handful of them had been blacked out though, presumably by her, which made us wonder what was so filthy that she felt the need to do that when blowjobs was a-ok.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Related to Fun With ChexTM
You know that squiggly line you're supposed to put in the amount line? Like,
One hundred twenty and 00/100 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ dollars

My friend was making a joke about that, like what if you forgot that squiggle and the recipient took advantage:
One hundred twenty and 00/100 and one million dollars

My point is, what's really the point of the squiggle? I really doubt any banker would cash a check with a weirdly laid out number like that, especially if it didn't match up with the numeric part. Or would they?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

alnilam posted:

My friend was making a joke about that, like what if you forgot that squiggle and the recipient took advantage:

My point is, what's really the point of the squiggle? I really doubt any banker would cash a check with a weirdly laid out number like that, especially if it didn't match up with the numeric part. Or would they?

Doesn't hurt to be sure. Also, what if there was...
Fifteen ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ dollars

Without squiggles, it would be trivial to change this to fifteen hundred. Especially if they were equally lax with the number box and just put "15" instead of "1500~~~"

OxeHunden
Jan 10, 2008

Norwegian Uber Goon Connoisseur
I'm looking at importing dvds from hongkong to norway and I was wondering if anyone knows of a decent site/retailer.

So far I know of dddhouse.com but they're on the expensive end of the scale and they don't really do discounts even if I were to buy larger quantities.

Apart from that I've tried googling and ordering some small orders from other sites but they've all been ripping me off sending me vcd's instead of dvd's and also bootlegs which just isn't cool.

Pm me or write in this thread, I'll try to keep up with this thread the next few days.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Buh posted:

I just paid for something with paypal and I noticed that my 'contact details' include a mobile phone number that's definitely not mine. The number I have now is the only one I've ever had. I have no idea how long the wrong number's been there, might have been years without me noticing.

How could this have happened, and how paranoid should I be?

Offhand it's possible someone stuck it in there as a secondary "I forgot my password" option and they'd get notified? GMail does that but I don't remember if Paypal does, and that'd mean someone probably got into your email too maybe. I don't want to make you paranoid as I haven't touched Paypal in years though. Call the number and ask for Yates I guess.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

alnilam posted:

I've never done this, heh. There's often a blank area between "00/100" (or 75/100, 44/100, or...) and "dollars."

alnilam posted:

I'm sure the banker would ignore "and one million", choosing instead to look at the number next to the recipient's name to see if they match up (In this case, 120.00). Or the banker can just throw the check away. If your phone number is on the check, the bank may call you to confirm the amount.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
can someone explain how > is used in 4chan, irc, etc.?

Say there will be an image of someone using a typewriter. Someone responds with

>2011
>typewriter

Probably a terrible example but if you've seen it, you get the idea.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
">" is quote. ">>" in 4chan is used to link to a post.

For example, you could have this post:

quote:

Anonymous #388838827
I've been using Aurora.
Someone might respond like this:

quote:

Anonymous #388838942
>>388838827
>I've been using Aurora.
I still don't see the benefit of using those over the stable release.
Except since it's 4chan they don't. But that's the "normal" usage.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
I don't want to derail this thread so keep the reply short, but is Ron Paul still considered crazy? I don't know much about US politics but I seem to be hearing more people talking about him than I remember. Has the public warmed up to him or is he still considered pretty loony?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

OilSlick posted:

I don't want to derail this thread so keep the reply short, but is Ron Paul still considered crazy? I don't know much about US politics but I seem to be hearing more people talking about him than I remember. Has the public warmed up to him or is he still considered pretty loony?

Considered crazy by who? I mean, you can ask that about most politicians. Obviously at least 20% of primary voters are cool with him. I consider Rick Santorum crazier than Ron Paul, but for some reason I doubt anyone asks that question about him seriously.

Emmjay
Aug 3, 2009

if you don't get the job/promotion/salary increase you want, getting your parents to ring me and complain will absolutely change the outcome
A small question about SOPA. How likely is it that this legislation will pass? Google is giving me lots of websites indicating that it's highly likely but they are mostly sites protesting it. What sort of influence are the Wikipedia (and others) black-out protests going to have?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
It doesn't really matter at this point. The main point is, I think, to educate the public that our government is actually trying to do something like this, and they need to know about it. The White House has hinted they would veto it, but that doesn't mean they won't try, or won't try again with a new president.

Will the protests stop SOPA? Probably doesn't matter. Will they stop whatever comes after SOPA? That's where I think the real impact is. (Note that the delay in dealing with SOPA until February may well count as being the 'next' SOPA)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Emmjay posted:

A small question about SOPA. How likely is it that this legislation will pass? Google is giving me lots of websites indicating that it's highly likely but they are mostly sites protesting it. What sort of influence are the Wikipedia (and others) black-out protests going to have?

There's a dedicated thread about SOPA. You might get a better response there:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3449634

Stupid/Small Question:
I'm not dumb enough to spend more than :10bux: or so on an HDMI cable, but the one I got from Amazon for $4.99 is a thin cable with no shielding mesh around it. I usually see them with at least a bit of shielding (regardless of the cost).

Will that matter? My games look fine right now so I'm guessing not. In what cases is the shielding useful? I can't tell if it is legitimately useful or if it will only be worth it if you plan on running a Tesla coil in the room with your Xbox.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 18, 2012

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

OilSlick posted:

He is still objectively presenting opinions and proposals that are wither sutpid, crazy, or hateful, so yes.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Emmjay posted:

The White House has indicated they will veto it if it passes, and support for it is dropping. PIPA (the Senate version) is still around, and they're probably going to eventually pass something at least like SOPA, if not SOPA itself.
The backlash is making a difference though, apparently.

Emmjay
Aug 3, 2009

if you don't get the job/promotion/salary increase you want, getting your parents to ring me and complain will absolutely change the outcome

Golbez posted:

It doesn't really matter at this point. The main point is, I think, to educate the public that our government is actually trying to do something like this, and they need to know about it. The White House has hinted they would veto it, but that doesn't mean they won't try, or won't try again with a new president.

Will the protests stop SOPA? Probably doesn't matter. Will they stop whatever comes after SOPA? That's where I think the real impact is. (Note that the delay in dealing with SOPA until February may well count as being the 'next' SOPA)

Thanks for the quick response. I'm not American so I'm becoming aware of this a little later than you guys. I am interested in politics and censorship though and, sadly, my government seems to increasingly follow along with US 'initiatives'.

And thanks Mak0rz I'll check out that thread.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Mak0rz posted:

Stupid/Small Question:
I'm not dumb enough to spend more than :10bux: or so on an HDMI cable, but the one I got from Amazon for $4.99 is a thin cable with no shielding mesh around it. I usually see them with at least a bit of shielding (regardless of the cost).

Will that matter? My games look fine right now so I'm guessing not. In what cases is the shielding useful? I can't tell if it is legitimately useful or if it will only be worth it if you plan on running a Tesla coil in the room with your Xbox.

This right here.

More generally: Wires act as antennas, and will pick up radio waves, tv signals, the microwave radiation your microwave puts off, the 60 hz signal your power wires put off, cell phone signals, the signals in other nearby cables and electronics... pretty much everything. The longer the wire is, the worse this effect is. Luckily, most of the time the effect is negligible, especially when the wire is carrying digital, rather than analog, signals. Shielding around a wire is usually grounded; this means that when a radio wave hits the shield, almost all of that energy is redirected into the ground, so there's minimal energy left to interfere with the signal that the wire is carrying.

Shielding is most important when the cable is long or you're interested in very precise analog signals. It's less important for digital communications; you need a larger voltage spike to change a 0 to a 1, and there are often validations in hardware and software to verify that you're receiving the same signal as was sent.

Zotwoz
Apr 2, 2011
So I completely disregarded goon advice and took a money order for the stuff I'm selling to this Canadian guy.

I asked him for a postal order but got a Western Union order: when I told him about it, he said that he didn't really know the difference and just went to a Money Mart to get the money sent. He also said something about being mugged and having to get new cards from the bank.

I got the order # and amount confirmed through WU's phone number (though I heard that some scammers can get around this), deposited it a few hours ago, and told him that I'd send him his stuff once the thing cleared.

How plausible is his story, and how paranoid should I be about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

Zotwoz posted:

So I completely disregarded goon advice and took a money order for the stuff I'm selling to this Canadian guy.

I asked him for a postal order but got a Western Union order: when I told him about it, he said that he didn't really know the difference and just went to a Money Mart to get the money sent. He also said something about being mugged and having to get new cards from the bank.

I got the order # and amount confirmed through WU's phone number (though I heard that some scammers can get around this), deposited it a few hours ago, and told him that I'd send him his stuff once the thing cleared.

How plausible is his story, and how paranoid should I be about this?

It's true that Money Marts sell WU money orders, and Money Marts are literally everywhere. A lot of people who aren't able to get bank accounts or have a problem with a bank end up using their services.

He could definitely be telling the truth, however you are smart to wait until it clears. There's always a chance someone could be scamming.

I actually used to have to pay my rent with MM WU money orders, as they were the cheapest charge for a money order that I could find. My bank charged $7, another bank charged even more. The WU ones are really cheap, like 3 or 4 bucks.

I couldn't order cheques at that point yet as they cost something like $25 and I didn't have that to spare at the time. I pay rent by cheque nowadays though. My apt also didn't have automatic deposit or anything like that.

Hope this helps. He's probably legit, but you can never ever be too cautious.

*forgot to mention- Post Office money orders are actually the priciest I've ever seen. They were even more than what my bank wanted, although I don't remember the exact amount.

when worlds collide fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 18, 2012