Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

hallo spacedog posted:

To be fair pretty much every entry-level Japanese class has someone similar in it. Luckily, if you stick with it, those guys get weeded out by like second year max, in my experience. The upper levels still have unusual people in it, but no one quite so uniquely horrible and socially inept, because I think to get to that point you actually have to finally put in at least a modicum of effort.
Oddly enough, almost all of my step 1 Japanese class were the normal cool people, then by step 2 we merged with another step 1 class and there were more anime fans than before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Corridor posted:

Can someone tell me why furries always dress in those hideous cartoony fursuits? They look ridiculous and impossible to take seriously. Wouldn't it be better, and easier, to like, make something more skin-tight and with more bodypaint? If, god forbid, I wanted to dress up as some loving animal, hopefully because I was cast in that role in a play and not because I wanted to be a fox or some poo poo... then I'd put on some fake ears and fake tail and paint my face and wear some sort of tight-fitting fur material that would let me move around and probably feel close to actually having fur. Or hell, wear something tight and plain and then paint it and my body to resemble the animal's markings.

Tight bodysuits are frankly not something I really want to see on sweaty fat geeks, but these people are dressing up as goddamn cartoon mascots. As an artist who once worked with an artistic costume designer, I find these abominations utterly shameful. If they must be gross pseudo-beastiality fetishists, couldn't they at least try to look like some kind of loving animal? Or am I missing the point?

Quite a few do go for the spandex and bodypaint approach. There are also more realistic styles of the regular costumes that are pretty popular. For the most part though, furries are fans of cartoon animals, so the costumes resemble cartoon animals, it's not that complicated.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
You sometimes see quadrupedal costumes too, which can look really cool (or terrible, in the case of that llama thing that J. F. Bibeau did) where the furries hold onto poles of some kind inside the costume and walk around on them as well as their feet. A lass I know once made a very impressive costume of the Catbus from My Neighbour Totoro, with light-up eyes and extra fake legs along the side, and I've seen pictures of a targ from Star Trek done really well in that way. It does at least let them move around a lot more like an animal would.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Stottie Kyek posted:

A lass I know once made a very impressive costume of the Catbus from My Neighbour Totoro, with light-up eyes and extra fake legs along the side
Any pics? I can't seem to imagine that being done in a non-terrible way....

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Here you go. She won a prize at some convention for it, and there were lots of pictures of her on the stage. When she stopped, the lights came on like brake lights. I had no idea how she was going to tackle it - while I sew a lot, I'm not an expert in cosplay stuff, but I thought it looked like a really good job.

Catbus in action:

edit: I think this video is of the same thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj1BfKPO6h0

Stottie Kyek fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 14, 2012

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Well gently caress me. That's actually pretty darn cool.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Stottie Kyek posted:

Here you go. She won a prize at some convention for it, and there were lots of pictures of her on the stage. When she stopped, the lights came on like brake lights. I had no idea how she was going to tackle it - while I sew a lot, I'm not an expert in cosplay stuff, but I thought it looked like a really good job.

Oh hey I know her. The extra legs are really clever, they're cored with those big inflatable champagne bottles you can get for parties to keep the weight down.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Yeah, that's the one, she's one of very few anime fangirls/boys I know who isn't creepy or stuck in a bunch of fantasies or anything. I remember her saying it was inflatable, didn't know that's where she'd got them from. She always was good at craft stuff, we were in the LARP group at uni together and she always showed up in these amazingly detailed costumes and armour she'd made. It'd be nice if other cosplayers and/or furries did the same, and put some effort into their gear like that, and practised making other crafts before they did it.

vvv Aye, as far as I'm aware she's not a furry, she just likes anime and cosplay. Most of the furries round our way are pretty open about their furriness and are more of a separate group.

Stottie Kyek fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 14, 2012

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Not everybody who wears suits like that is a furry :ssh:

There was a lady in a really cool Landstrider costume (Dark Crystal) at DragonCon last year, in a similar vein to the Catbus. Of course, the original Landstriders were people on stilts anyway.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Stottie Kyek posted:

That is amazing.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

RazorBunny posted:

Not everybody who wears suits like that is a furry :ssh:

There was a lady in a really cool Landstrider costume (Dark Crystal) at DragonCon last year, in a similar vein to the Catbus. Of course, the original Landstriders were people on stilts anyway.

before this derail ends (as all derails must) this is a friend of mine

The amount of work that went into this bastard is nothing short of mindboggling.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Fatkraken posted:

before this derail ends (as all derails must) this is a friend of mine

The amount of work that went into this bastard is nothing short of mindboggling.

Is your friend Wendy Froud?

Want peace? Please. Please. Make peace? PLEASE? PLEASE MAKE PEACE?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Smells like Guelfling in here...

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I just finished reading through the whole odyssey! This was amazing Rhino. Is there any snowball's chance in hell of any YouTube videos featuring this beautiful disaster?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Three-Phase posted:

I just finished reading through the whole odyssey! This was amazing Rhino. Is there any snowball's chance in hell of any YouTube videos featuring this beautiful disaster?

He said he didn't want to be internet detectived, and seeing as he features in the film, the answer is most likely no.

A Pretentious Owl
Mar 31, 2011

EB: it is true, it is a fact from an alien.

Corridor posted:

Can someone tell me why furries always dress in those hideous cartoony fursuits? They look ridiculous and impossible to take seriously. Wouldn't it be better, and easier, to like, make something more skin-tight and with more bodypaint? If, god forbid, I wanted to dress up as some loving animal, hopefully because I was cast in that role in a play and not because I wanted to be a fox or some poo poo... then I'd put on some fake ears and fake tail and paint my face and wear some sort of tight-fitting fur material that would let me move around and probably feel close to actually having fur. Or hell, wear something tight and plain and then paint it and my body to resemble the animal's markings.

Tight bodysuits are frankly not something I really want to see on sweaty fat geeks, but these people are dressing up as goddamn cartoon mascots. As an artist who once worked with an artistic costume designer, I find these abominations utterly shameful. If they must be gross pseudo-beastiality fetishists, couldn't they at least try to look like some kind of loving animal? Or am I missing the point?

Full disclosure: I have some friends in the furry/fursuiting community. Yeah most of them are weird.

Mostly, yeah, you're missing the point in assuming most fursuiters are wanting to resemble true-to-life animals. Most of them are aiming for the cartoon mascot look, and pretty much everyone aiming for the cartoon mascot look isn't trying to be "taken seriously" but rather to act like a giant bouncy cartoon animal. For most fursuiters that I've ever interacted with, it actually is a performance/entertainment thing, they want to act like a hyperactive cartoon puppy to make people laugh, not to become closer to their SPIRIT ANIMAL/fetishistic thing. There are people who make striking realistic costumes though, and also people that literally find cartoon characters and costumes thereof sexy, needless to say, but Generic Cartoon Dog Suiter from my experience isn't being "serious" or doesn't believe in their soul that they're really a character out of Pound Puppies, but a person who likes to act like a doof in public behind the anonymity of a mask and a character.

On not-derailing notes, I've followed this thread for a very long time and have found it nothing short of fascinating :stare: I've dealt with some oddballs in my time (see prior re: furry frieds), but never anyone to quite this level of delusion. I knew a guy in middle school convinced that Middle Earth and everything depicted in Lord of the Rings was REAL AND ACCURATE HISTORY, and that he could speak full and fluent Orc, but that's about the extent of it and he was just sort of a compulsive liar to start with.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Huh. I didn't realise furries are all about being cutesy cartoons. Guess it's kinda like how lolita fashionistas seem to want to be anime girls. I'm not sure if this makes them better or worse than their just wanting to be animals. This thread is teaching me so many things :allears:

A Pretentious Owl posted:

There are people who make striking realistic costumes though

These are beautiful and horrible. It's like someone just went out and hunted a bunch of fantastic mythical beasts, then taxidermified them.

You can spot the furry commissions a mile back because they're boring as poo poo. Oh check it out there's a horrific nightmarish shadow beast from your darkest imaginings next to a godlike being from ancient legends of impossible beauty and mystery next to a... wolf with eyeliner.

Corridor fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jan 15, 2012

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Corridor posted:

You can spot the furry commissions a mile back because they're boring as poo poo. Oh check it out there's a horrific nightmarish shadow beast from your darkest imaginings next to a godlike being from ancient legends of impossible beauty and mystery next to a... wolf with eyeliner.

They're all furry commissions. Or at least the vast bulk of them are. The Godbeasts and fire spirits and hellish chimeras are bought by people within the furry community who attend furry conventions.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The discussion of fursuits reminds me of the bizarre LiveJournal kerfuffle in which my fursuiter friend was involved. The guy started doing cosplaying at furry cons instead of just suiting, and somehow this caused some other furry to post an extremely indignant LiveJournal post about how doing Doctor Who cosplay at a furry con somehow makes you history's worst criminal. It blew over quickly, but while it lasted, it was amazing.

The suiter friend in question has also combined fursuiting and cosplay via accessories that can be worn over his suit so that he can be his fursona as a Kamen Rider or whatever. This dude really isn't appropriate for this thread otherwise -- he's pleasant, socially functional, hygienic, and not obsessed with Sai Baba -- but I fundamentally do not understand why you, having dressed up in a mascot suit, decide the mascot suit needs to be in its own costume. Not my scene, I suppose.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Ceciltron posted:

He said he didn't want to be internet detectived, and seeing as he features in the film, the answer is most likely no.

Oh well, we can always use the powers of our imagination™.

Corridor posted:

These are beautiful and horrible. It's like someone just went out and hunted a bunch of fantastic mythical beasts, then taxidermified them.

It's a furry uncanny valley.

http://www.clockworkcreature.com/customer_images/spotted_rabbit.jpg :nms:

I AM NEVER GOING TO SLEEP AGAIN

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jan 15, 2012

afterhours
Jul 1, 2007

Stottie Kyek posted:

You sometimes see quadrupedal costumes too, which can look really cool (or terrible, in the case of that llama thing that J. F. Bibeau did) where the furries hold onto poles of some kind inside the costume and walk around on them as well as their feet. A lass I know once made a very impressive costume of the Catbus from My Neighbour Totoro, with light-up eyes and extra fake legs along the side, and I've seen pictures of a targ from Star Trek done really well in that way. It does at least let them move around a lot more like an animal would.

That's insane that you've mentioned that. I thought I was pretty savvy on the furrie freakshow, but I had never heard about that until earlier this evening. I was listening to Zelda music and one of the suggested videos was this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdibDEq7RMA

At first, I thought: "Wow, that's a pretty cool design. Looks good too." Then the body language reminded me of so many creepy furrie videos that have been posted on SA over the time and I became more and more uncomfortable and angry...

As a fan of puppets, I demand to know why furries ruin EVERYTHING, including good costuming!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I hate to be an rear end, but is there any chance of getting some more stories of mentalist animu people? Not that the costume derail isn't interesting and fairly relevant, I just miss Sai Baba and the Guardian Hero Z Squad Fighters and so on.

Twiggy Johnson
Jun 10, 2011

afterhours posted:

That's insane that you've mentioned that. I thought I was pretty savvy on the furrie freakshow, but I had never heard about that until earlier this evening. I was listening to Zelda music and one of the suggested videos was this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdibDEq7RMA

At first, I thought: "Wow, that's a pretty cool design. Looks good too." Then the body language reminded me of so many creepy furrie videos that have been posted on SA over the time and I became more and more uncomfortable and angry...

As a fan of puppets, I demand to know why furries ruin EVERYTHING, including good costuming!

That has to be the most awkward fur-suiter I've seen. Not that I want to be defending furries, but most I've seen at least attempt to appear graceful and natural.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

Twiggy Johnson posted:

That has to be the most awkward fur-suiter I've seen. Not that I want to be defending furries, but most I've seen at least attempt to appear graceful and natural.

If that's the most awkward fursuiter you've ever seen, you've not seen a lot of fursuiters.

Pterodactyl Feet
Mar 7, 2011

Thank you so much uglynoodles, for posting this trainwreck of a thread. All of the stories in here are absolutely beautiful, and reading through them reminded me about people I hadn't thought about in years.

I have internet, as well as real-life crazy to offer this thread. There are soulbonding astral-boyfriend girls (one of whom got a BJD boyfriend), a girl who was convinced she was a member of an existing 'jrock' band, my ex-boyfriend the furry pedophile, and a 'queen' who built her own kingdom of white knights. There were other people I remembered during the course of the thread, but I can't think of who they were right now.

I'll start with my cousin Jen (real name, being that it's so common.) She and I have a long history that deserves more time than I have right now, but I'll give you an idea of what I grew up with.

Jen and the 3am phonecall.

My cousin used to tell people that when she slept, she went to Spirit World, where she had a fiance who was a killer gothic vampire who was also Yusuke from Yuyu Hakusho. I was around 12, and it was no stranger than any of the other poo poo we would come up with to pass the time, so why not?

For a period of about two weeks, she would tell me that there was a girl in Spirit World who was trying to steal her man and was harassing her in real life. Jen actually had me worried because she would show me chat logs and complain of threatening phone calls. While I loved anime, I didn't believe for a minute that someone from one would contact her in the real world. I was however worried that there was actually someone harassing her because they met in a chatroom and how terrified of this person she seemed.

When I asked why she didn't seem to want to block them or do anything about it, she would just say things like, "I can't block them, they'll find out and it will get worse." or "If I tell dad, he'd be mad at me for talking to strangers." Then one night she was sleeping over, she asked me to call this person and tell them to leave her alone.

I don't know why I did, curiosity maybe, but you can imagine my surprise when the number I just called returned that call. It was the same person's voice, only this time, it declared authoritatively that it was Yusuke. Jen was overjoyed and demanded the phone. I hung up.

It turns out this had all been some weird production between her and one of her online friends, who happened to hold the spirit of Yusuke and a few other people like Inuyasha (which I'll get to later.)

I was pretty pissed off and told my mom. I have no idea what my mother told Jen's parents, but I suddenly didn't hear anything more about Spirit World. Jen seemed to normal out until our friend Lauren introduced us to jrock - they both went downhill from there.

Edit: spelling

Pterodactyl Feet fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 19, 2012

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Pterodactyl Feet posted:

There are soulbonding astral-boyfriend girls (one of whom got a BJD boyfriend)
I really want to know how this worked.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Antivehicular posted:

I really want to know how this worked.

The astral soul of her astral boyfriend ends up in the resin form of her BJD.

Thankfully you can wash resin!

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Phuzzy posted:

Thankfully you can wash resin!

Oh dear GOD

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Corridor posted:

Oh dear GOD
Here, :nws: :nms: I've got a gift for you.

You're welcome! :shobon:

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

the kawaiiest posted:

A terrible thing.

gently caress you, buddy. Just...gently caress you.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

the kawaiiest posted:

You are a bad person.

Or possibly a great person, I can't quite decide.

Either way, ick.

Also Pterodactyl Feet: I'm not quite clear. Did she give you a number, and you left a message and got a call back? Or did you dial, tell them to piss off, and then got a call back from "Yusuke?"

Also, for reals: BJD boyfriend: boyfriend who is literally a doll, or boyfriend who is into said dolls?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Ceciltron posted:

What Ceciltron said.

What I would like to clarify is that I don't want Henriette to be internet detectived. She may be a couple of gurus short of a temple, but really she's just crazy in her own way and I don't want her to be goonrushed. Selfishly, I also don't want her to find out I wrote some crazy story about her on the Internet which may cause her to either have some sort of breakdown or send stern emails to me.

There are also no videos but I'm sure since she sent it to Hollywood, it would be discovered some day, like the original version of Manos the Hand of Fate.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

the kawaiiest posted:

Gif of the year! (For proving that humanity has reached a dead-end)

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Question Mark Mound posted:

Gif of the year! (For proving that humanity has reached a dead-end)

But we're only a couple of weeks into 2012... :v:

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
This thread contains alot of crazy. A lot of emotions. From Denise to Henriette, to that crazy fairy brother, to Kawaiiest's furry roomate, and after reading everything, I thought I was invincible.

the kawaiiest posted:

The end of civilization.

:barf:

This is what did it. This is the internet.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

the kawaiiest posted:

I might cry.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

the kawaiiest posted:

You know how I can tell the Internet has killed my soul?

I looked at that and thought, "That was an expensive modification."

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Hedera Helix posted:

But we're only a couple of weeks into 2012... :v:
I know... :smith:

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
One of the classes I had for my teaching placement had a girl in it who never did assignments, she just drew gay anime brothers making out all class. I would say "hey, how about we stay on task, Friday is open studio so you can draw whatever you want then, okay?" and she would always give me the most insufferable high pitched but still basically whispered " okay". Would she do her work? Sure, but it was only half her potential since she always drew her yaoi poo poo. She also always brought another student who had a spare during that period to class. It was okay with my associate so I let it slide. So they'd giggle and squeal about what they were drawing all class. Had to really put my foot down a couple of times on the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

A Pretentious Owl posted:

There are people who make striking realistic costumes though

You know, if furries hadn't ruined this sort of Narnia junk for me I would probably think this was amazingly awesome poo poo. In principle I would really like to think all those wolf/lynx whatever costumes are pretty killer, but then I suspect that after this photoshoot the dudes are cornholing in a walk-in closet or something. :(

Seriously, it reminds me of Tracy Butler's old stuff. She's the one who does the Lackadaisy webcomic.

• Locked thread