Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

VaultAggie posted:

I thought you were making this up so I had to look it up. It's actually true. :negative:
If you think the prequels were bad, you should never, ever look at the early drafts of ANH. If it had gone to theatres in that state, it could well have been the biggest bomb since Plan 9 from Outer Space. Marcia Lucas, George's now-ex wife, is the biggest reason we got what we did (that, and people would actually say "no" to him back then).

Among other things that she or others convinced him to leave on the cutting room floor:
• Chewbacca (maybe Han? I know it was one or the other, but I'm about 60% sure it was Chewie) looked like this.
• Almost all of the main characters were originally planned to be midgets.
• Lightsabres were normal infantry weapons instead of special Jedi-only swords (note also the riot shields).
• The Emperor's throne room was a lava cave.

I used to have a 1994 SW soundtrack set that came with a booklet of a lot more early-stage concept art that George had Ralph McQuarrie do. Lost to too many house moves at this point. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Flagrant Abuse posted:

• The Emperor's throne room was a lava cave.

Be fair, that's actually pretty loving :black101:

Also, Han was going to be some kind of lizard.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

Flagrant Abuse posted:

• Almost all of the main characters were originally planned to be midgets.

So that's why I've heard that the original drafts were basically The Hobbit.

Ralph Macquarrie did some badass concept art, by the way.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Jack Does Jihad posted:

So that's why I've heard that the original drafts were basically Willow.

Ralph Macquarrie did some badass concept art, by the way.

Fixed.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Timby posted:

I think some books or other sources in the early '90s gave his first name as Cos.

I just double checked, and Palpy's dad's name is "Cosinga Palpatine".

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

McGann posted:

I'm also tempted to install the KOTOR 2 Sith Lords restoration mod and give it another whirl, would be curious to hear if anyone has gone through it and how it compares to the vanilla game?

Wait, they finished that? I thought it fell apart from community drama after a few years.

Edit: Do you guys think the Video games count as part of the EU?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 15, 2012

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

Edit: Do you guys think the Video games count as part of the EU?

Well, word from Big Daddy George is that The Force Unleashed is canon, so yeah, the games count.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

BigRed0427 posted:

Wait, they finished that? I thought it fell apart from community drama after a few years.
There were two groups doing the same sort of project. Team Gizka exploded in a hilarious dramabomb, but the other team did fine.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
In the thrawn books is it ever explained why Borsk Fey'lya the dick bothan is so worried about whats in the mountain that Thrawn found?

Edit. Never mind found it.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Caamas_Document

\/ \/ \/
Looks like I know what the next set of books I need to read are.

Darth Freddy fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 15, 2012

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Darth Freddy posted:

In the thrawn books is it ever explained why Borsk Fey'lya the dick bothan is so worried about whats in the mountain that Thrawn found?

In the Hand of Thrawn duology, but yeah.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Mister Roboto posted:

new poster that's hopefully not fake

Better than the first one.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Has Lucas popped up anywhere to state that he always meant it to be in 3D and that Jake Lloyd will be removed and replaced with footage of a 10 year old Hayden Christiansen taken from a tape he got from his parents? I'm genuinely curious to know how much he's going to now start messing with the prequels.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Fil5000 posted:

Has Lucas popped up anywhere to state that he always meant it to be in 3D and that Jake Lloyd will be removed and replaced with footage of a 10 year old Hayden Christiansen taken from a tape he got from his parents? I'm genuinely curious to know how much he's going to now start messing with the prequels.

He took out Jabba and replaced him with a morbidly obese guy in a furry jacket.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
So, what's the prediction for TPM:3D box office?

I mean, when AOTC first came out, I seem to remember an interview somewhere with Lucas where he said that Eps 2 and 3 were not guaranteed, that if TPM had been a flop that the PT might not have ever been finished.

So, I almost wonder what might happen if TPM:3D bombs. Would Lucas give up on trying to continue the 3D conversions, or just do a slapdash job for a quick BD release and bypass theaters?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Better than the first one.

It is better than the first one, but that's damning with faint praise. The first one looked like it was for the Syfy Star Wars knockoff movie.

This one looks eh, alright, although I have no idea why the giant lightsaber shoots at the tiny Naboo fighter.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

JediTalentAgent posted:

So, what's the prediction for TPM:3D box office?

I mean, when AOTC first came out, I seem to remember an interview somewhere with Lucas where he said that Eps 2 and 3 were not guaranteed, that if TPM had been a flop that the PT might not have ever been finished.

So, I almost wonder what might happen if TPM:3D bombs. Would Lucas give up on trying to continue the 3D conversions, or just do a slapdash job for a quick BD release and bypass theaters?

Its never going to bomb. The people who hate TPM and honestly will not see it are a extreme minority. I wont even lie if I can I will be seeing it at the midnight release just to see the movies in big screen again. This movie will just make more and more money. The best thing that can come out of it is that it will give more money to the tv shows budget and possibly convince him to give us the original versions restored.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Darth Freddy posted:

Its never going to bomb. The people who hate TPM and honestly will not see it are a extreme minority. I wont even lie if I can I will be seeing it at the midnight release just to see the movies in big screen again. This movie will just make more and more money. The best thing that can come out of it is that it will give more money to the tv shows budget and possibly convince him to give us the original versions restored.

I agree with you on that point. Even with that, the people who hate TPM and say they won't see it still WILL likely go see it despite their claims.

However, even when the special editions came out, each one made less and less money during their releases. This was also a time when people were hungry for new Star Wars stuff, too. The franchise had been more or less quiet other than the EU stuff and games for about a dozen years and a lot of the audience was likely people nostalgic for the film and wanting to get glimpses of what the PT might look like. I don't see those factors existing this time around.

That, coupled with the fact that we're also in an era where 3D is less and less impressive and more and more expensive for the average moviegoer, too. The hype, goodwill and critical praise for TPM that existed a dozen years ago just isn't there, anymore, either.

Domestically, ANH:SE made well over $100M during its release, while ROTJ:SE made only about $40M, and that's with the hype machine really moving in the feel-good 90s. Part of me is leaning towards TPM:3D falling into the $50M range. That's not bad and while it wouldn't be seen as a flop I do think that it's not going to be the kind of success they were looking for.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
I'll say 100 million at the box office. I think a lot of people will watch it just because it's Star Wars and it's 3D. Plus, I'm sure the "Stoners who love a 3D movie" demographic will be coming out in full force for this one.

Also, I just had an awful vision of Lucas releasing a statement in 2014, saying that the first three films didn't make enough money at the box office to warrant the OT being put out in theatres.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Locutus of Bald posted:

I'll say 100 million at the box office. I think a lot of people will watch it just because it's Star Wars and it's 3D. Plus, I'm sure the "Stoners who love a 3D movie" demographic will be coming out in full force for this one.

Also, I just had an awful vision of Lucas releasing a statement in 2014, saying that the first three films didn't make enough money at the box office to warrant the OT being put out in theatres.

100 million isn't what it used to be. My guess is around the same though and Lucas will make a fortune no matter what.

AotC and RotS will make less than half of TPM though.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Is there any information on how much it's costing to 3D-ify it? I imagine it's a lot less than making the film from scratch cost, so it doesn't have to make the same sort of money as it did first time around.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

Either way its going to be a massive profit, unless it totally bombs. The movies are all already filmed and post conversion can't cost that much in the long run. As for 3d being less impressive to movie goers. That come down to the movies them selves a lot of them are crap. As much as we like to say Lucus screws up his own films I have faith that the 3d portions will be extremely well done and polished for a post conversion movie. They may not be used the best but they will look amazing.

Cost is the big thing. 3D tickets at the theatre I go to are after 6pm 8 dollars + 2 dollars for 3d ad 6 dollars before before 6pm. From other peoples posts on here these tickets are cheap but are still pricey. So they may lose some people because of the price.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
For me to see a 3D movie near here it costs $13 on a weekday. I'm not going to shell that much out for ESB, much less phantom loving menace.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Ensign_Ricky posted:

He took out Jabba and replaced him with a morbidly obese guy in a furry jacket.

It's like poetry.

At least the new poster has the actual stars of the movie on it, not just Maul and a couple of CGI/model character faces. I thought that one was a joke until I saw it in a theatre.

Also a lot of you guys are forgetting the incredible brand Star Wars is. Of course the movie will make money, because kids (and a bunch of 'big kids') are going to see it. It's Star Wars on the big screen! And even if the movie itself doesn't do quite as well as hoped, think of all the new toy sales that will be stirred up by just having the movie in the mainstream public conscious again.

Maybe we'll even see the return of the Jar Jar Binks candy dispenser where you need to French kiss that giant space rabit/minority.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJOjTNuuEVw

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Look what I found on woot: a LEGO TIE Defender

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

VaultAggie posted:

If you value your sanity, don't read the Dark Nest trilogy. Nothing in that piece of poo poo makes any sense and there's nothing redeeming about it. And yeah, Traitor loving owns and is by far the best book in NJO. The Alliston books take second place.
Pretty much any SW book by Stover is worth your time. His novelization of Episode 3 even managed to almost-kinda salvage it, sorta.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Xenomrph posted:

Pretty much any SW book by Stover is worth your time. His novelization of Episode 3 even managed to almost-kinda salvage it, sorta.

The biggest problem with his novelization is that you think it's really awesome and then you remember how the movie handled it and get all :smith:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Carnaticum posted:

It's like poetry.

At least the new poster has the actual stars of the movie on it, not just Maul and a couple of CGI/model character faces. I thought that one was a joke until I saw it in a theatre.

Also a lot of you guys are forgetting the incredible brand Star Wars is. Of course the movie will make money, because kids (and a bunch of 'big kids') are going to see it. It's Star Wars on the big screen! And even if the movie itself doesn't do quite as well as hoped, think of all the new toy sales that will be stirred up by just having the movie in the mainstream public conscious again.

Maybe we'll even see the return of the Jar Jar Binks candy dispenser where you need to French kiss that giant space rabit/minority.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJOjTNuuEVw

I just want to see the podrace in 3D, honestly. Time to be a bratty middle/high schooler again and movie hop!

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

WhyteRyce posted:

The biggest problem with his novelization is that you think it's really awesome and then you remember how the movie handled it and get all :smith:

I had a terrible case of this after reading his Episode 3. I finished that one like "WOAH, I NEED TO RE-WATCH-oh wait".

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Look what I found on woot: a LEGO TIE Defender

Sadly this is one of the only bad vehicle sets to come out of the Lego Star Wars line in years. The cockpit rotates freely and seems to just lazily spin if you so much as touch it, making "swooshability" nearly nil. The wings are so fragile that the entire structure sags when you set it down. It's a shame, I loved the TIE Defender in X-Wing vs TIE Fighter.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

TIE Defender is the best TIE, and the only choice for the Emperor's stool pigeon :colbert:

(shame to hear that the LEGO version sucks)

Also,

after Titanic destroyed the box office.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

movax posted:

TIE Defender is the best TIE, and the only choice for the Emperor's stool pigeon :colbert:

(shame to hear that the LEGO version sucks)

Also,

after Titanic destroyed the box office.

Just think about it:

This image came from a time just before the prequels were unleashed upon the world and all everyone knew of Star Wars came from the OT and a handful of EU books.

:sigh:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So, just finished Darth Plagueis, and a couple of thoughts:

1. The revelation that Plagueis was still alive at the time of TPM is not that big a deal. It really isn't and it sets up Palpy as an even bigger badass.

2. A lot of politicking and scheming throughout. If that isn't your cup of tea, then I'd suggest stepping away from it.

3. This is the biggest problem with the novel: Once Palpatine shows up, you stop giving a bantha's fart about Plagueis. Despite the title, Palpatine is the star of the book, no question about it.

Overall though, as a Darth Sidious book, I enjoyed the hell out of it as much as I did the first Darth Bane book. If you want info on Palps, read it.

edit: It should have been titled "Star Wars: Palpatine Manipulates EVERYONE"

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 16, 2012

draize_train
Apr 26, 2006

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Ok, was up until 3:30 reading last night because Palpatine was introduced. Fun fact: he hated his immediate family so much he decided to discard his first name and go only by the name of his ancestral line.

Just wanted to point out how stupid this is. If you hated your family, the natural thing to do would be changing your last name (your FAMILY name), not getting rid of your first. Apart from that, it's also stupid that we need some sort of explanation for this just because Palpatine's first name isn't mentioned in the movies. The more logical explanation for it is simple: almost no one is going to address a Senator, Chancellor or Emperor by his first name.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

draize_train posted:

Just wanted to point out how stupid this is. If you hated your family, the natural thing to do would be changing your last name (your FAMILY name), not getting rid of your first. Apart from that, it's also stupid that we need some sort of explanation for this just because Palpatine's first name isn't mentioned in the movies. The more logical explanation for it is simple: almost no one is going to address a Senator, Chancellor or Emperor by his first name.

The reasoning given is that he simply hated his immediate family, but greatly respected his ancestral line.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Overall though, as a Darth Sidious book, I enjoyed the hell out of it as much as I did the first Darth Bane book. If you want info on Palps, read it.

edit: It should have been titled "Star Wars: Palpatine Manipulates EVERYONE"

I dunno, I'm 1/3rd of the way through it (Just started Part II) and I rather like Plagueis. But you're right - I'm definitely more interested now that Palpatine is in it.

This is my first Luceno book (well, second I guess - Rise of Dark Vader was via audiobook and I really have no idea if it was abridged or what), and I think I might go after another one. He's not Stover or Zahn, but he seems solid.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Eh, Luceno is very patchy to me. He's had some good books and some lovely ones. Unifying Force was really bad and a poor way of ending the NJO. I still don't understand what the hell happened in the climax. He also wrote the godawful Agenst of Chaos duology. Labyrinth of Evil owned though.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

VaultAggie posted:

Eh, Luceno is very patchy to me. He's had some good books and some lovely ones. Unifying Force was really bad and a poor way of ending the NJO. I still don't understand what the hell happened in the climax. He also wrote the godawful Agenst of Chaos duology. Labyrinth of Evil owned though.

The only defense I could offer is that, well, he had the NJO to finish off after the story concepts had been repeatedly violated by many different authors in many orifices.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I can understand that but it was the final book of a massive saga. I wanted to read about a massive fuckall battle for Coruscant and a giant battle on Corsucant itself. Not some stupid Deus Ex by Zonama Sekot and the Onimi twist. I will admit though, Nom Anor was awesome and he went out like a champ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
That the final book wasn't outright offensive to read was the best praise I could think of for it, the whole thing kind of read like a random fan was brought in to write it. The parts where he just lists off paragraphs of Jedi who were never followed in the series and what they're doing which was the laziest, fan service-y thing I've ever read.