Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Christoff posted:

VLC - It's VLC media player, for the iphone. SSH or use software to get files into var/mobile/media.
That's what you have to do for the Cydia version? For the removed appstore version, you can directly add files to it in iTunes, on the Apps tab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Jetsetlemming posted:

That's what you have to do for the Cydia version? For the removed appstore version, you can directly add files to it in iTunes, on the Apps tab.
You can just install it right from Cydia.

I misunderstood. Yeah you can just drag and drop from iTunes.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

jojoinnit posted:

You can just install it right from Cydia.

I misunderstood. Yeah you can just drag and drop from iTunes.

When you open the app that's what it says. I was t aware about the above. Ill have to try it out. gently caress convertig everything. Especially movies.

randyest posted:

This has been around forever, but I haven't tested it on 5.x http://www.iphonehacks.com/2009/02/jailbreak-app-5row-qwerty-keyboard-adds-another-row-of-keys-to-iphones-virtual-keyboard.html

Google "5-row keyboard iOS" for more options. I have "5-row keyboard for ipad" on my 4.3.3 ipad2 and it's awesome; still waiting for an A5 jailbreak for my 4s to try some new 5.x options.

If you try some keyboard mods please to update the app list according to your iOS version and success:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ah09Sy6aGB8hdEVaemF1VXRYbXVjY0wyZGdnZThuQUE&authkey=CMmC_5gE&hl=en_US#gid=0

I installed a couple and they didn't work. One let me get some keyboard features but the 5row one wouldnt apply/work

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Christoff posted:

When you open the app that's what it says. I was t aware about the above. Ill have to try it out. gently caress convertig everything. Especially movies.

In iTunes, click your device, click apps, scroll down. You should be able to select VLC and click the Add button on the side to just select and upload directly into the app. Every media player I've used on my iPhone works this way. My favourite isn't actually VLC which is kinda short on features, but Cinexplayer.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Weird. I didnt think apple would support something like that. What with mp4 and all.

Wait, even if we got it on cydia and not when it was in the appstore?

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006
Ikeywi is an ios5 compatible 5 row keyboard. A little pokey at times though.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Christoff posted:

Weird. I didnt think apple would support something like that. What with mp4 and all.

Yes.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Christoff posted:

Here's a quick run-down of poo poo I found while poking around or have used before that's not in the OP.

Manual correct - Only corrects your misspelled words if you click it.

That functionality was finally added by Apple in iOS 5. So you'd only want to install that app under iOS 4.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Xenomorph posted:

That functionality was finally added by Apple in iOS 5. So you'd only want to install that app under iOS 4.
I think ios5 just has an option to turn off the autocorrect and leave the spell check (and you can click a word to replace it.) manual correct let's you "reverse" the autocorrect, so you tap tue suggestion to use it, rather than to not use it.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

So I finally Jailbroke my phone! I'm still unable to get my tmobile sim card to work on it. Is there something else I'm missing?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mercedes posted:

So I finally Jailbroke my phone! I'm still unable to get my tmobile sim card to work on it. Is there something else I'm missing?
The unlocking part.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

randyest posted:

The unlocking part.

Oh! Hah, that's quite an important step I missed in my excitement to have finally jailbroken my drat phone

edit goddamit, is there a way to change the baseband? It's the only thing holding me back!@#

editedit: godfuckingdammit this poo poo. It's impossible to downgrade the baseband. This sucks.

Mercedes fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 15, 2012

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
lol

jack.
Sep 1, 2001
Ugh.. so I jailbroke my iPhone 4 running 5.0.1 a week or two ago and everything was working fine. Today I installed MyWi through Cydia and after hitting the respring button, all of the sudden it is stuck on the Apple logo and I can't get it to boot at all. What do I do?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

maduin posted:

Q: Help, I bricked my iPhone!
A: That isn't really a question, but I'll answer it anyway: no you didn't. It's impossible to software brick an iPhone; to fix the phone, perform a DFU restore. If that's not working, read this website, realize you actually had the phone in recovery mode and not DFU mode, put the phone in DFU mode, and restore again.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

jack. posted:

Ugh.. so I jailbroke my iPhone 4 running 5.0.1 a week or two ago and everything was working fine. Today I installed MyWi through Cydia and after hitting the respring button, all of the sudden it is stuck on the Apple logo and I can't get it to boot at all. What do I do?
Did you do the untethered or tethered jailbreak? Either way, load up redsnow and choose "just boot" or whatever.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
iBooks fix is now available for the 5.0.1 untether.

Install/update Corona in Cydia (even if you used redsn0w to untether).

Video posted showing the untether on a 4S:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDBHXbwgdc4

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

So there's one single function that I miss most from having an Android phone, so if anyone could point me in the direction of a jailbreak app that does the same thing I'd be immeasurably grateful:

Are there any apps that will check for a new episode and download a podcast at a scheduled time directly onto the phone without having the app open in the foreground? I've tried Instacast, and while it will let you set up subscriptions and periodic updates it will not work if the app is not in the foreground.

If anyone's used Beyondpod on Android, I want something like that.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Vertigus posted:

So there's one single function that I miss most from having an Android phone, so if anyone could point me in the direction of a jailbreak app that does the same thing I'd be immeasurably grateful:

Are there any apps that will check for a new episode and download a podcast at a scheduled time directly onto the phone without having the app open in the foreground? I've tried Instacast, and while it will let you set up subscriptions and periodic updates it will not work if the app is not in the foreground.

Haven't used it myself but Downcast claims to do that, unless I'm misunderstanding you or it v:shobon:v

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Vertigus posted:

Instacast will automatically update as long as it's running in the background, it's not always on however; if you've got SBSettings installed you can verify that it's running. As long as it's active at all, even if it isn't in the foreground, it'll update.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Jetsetlemming posted:

Instacast will automatically update as long as it's running in the background, it's not always on however; if you've got SBSettings installed you can verify that it's running. As long as it's active at all, even if it isn't in the foreground, it'll update.

Yeah I forgot to mention that, it'll also work if it's in the background but still in memory. That's pretty unreliable though since iOS likes to kill background tasks whenever it pleases. I imagine that to run a scheduled task you need a service running 24/7, which you can't get on a standard app.

Will SBSettings *keep* an app running, or will it just let me know if it is?

Edit: Bought Downcast and it seems rad enough to use as my normal podcast manager, but it also has this to say about running in the background: "For iOS devices that support multitasking, Downcast has the ability to run in the background for up to 10 minutes. This limitation is imposed by iOS on third party applications."

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 16, 2012

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
When at home I usually don't carry my phone around with me and often miss calls/SMS.
Are there any apps that can "sync" the phone to the computer like BluePhone etc. used to? Notification would also be acceptable.

So far I've found:
-Phone Amego: calls only
-WiFiSMS: have to keep a browser open with a certain webpage
-PcSMS: IOS 4.1+
-GrowlNotifier: IOS 4.1+, notifier only

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
This is probably a dumb question, but I installed 5.0.1 over 5.—, and then re-jailbroke. I noticed that when re-downloading my apps, they'd return to where I hid them (e.g. Winterboard/bytafont are in the "theming" folder, which was missing upon the reboot). Are my old themes/apps hiding somewhere on my iPhone, or do I have to re-download everything?

Since it seems to recall where I located all the app launchers, it seems that this information is stored somewhere – can I just restore my cydia apps, or do I need to redownload/install? I'm only really asking since I have like .4GB left on the phone, and I'd rather avoid duplication.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I think your cydia APPS aren't in there, but the data for some of them might be in the itunes backup. It depends on how they save their data. When I had to nuke and restore my phone recently most of my cydia apps still had their preferences, but I had to actually go and download them again manually first.

I think the app icons for Cydia apps will get sorted where they were before, too.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Vertigus posted:

Yeah I forgot to mention that, it'll also work if it's in the background but still in memory. That's pretty unreliable though since iOS likes to kill background tasks whenever it pleases. I imagine that to run a scheduled task you need a service running 24/7, which you can't get on a standard app.

Edit: Bought Downcast and it seems rad enough to use as my normal podcast manager, but it also has this to say about running in the background: "For iOS devices that support multitasking, Downcast has the ability to run in the background for up to 10 minutes. This limitation is imposed by iOS on third party applications."
I don't know if it works with ios5 but backgrounder can keep any app running indefinitely, battery be damned.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.
So, since the iPhone 4S jailbreak has been demonstrated on video and is only days away from public release, I have a question:

Is there something on Cydia that will allow my various apps to retain different volume settings instead of all using the same volume level? For certain apps I might want the volume turned up (like when I'm listening to a podcast) but then I'll switch to a game that loving blares noise at me all of a sudden and I have to quickly turn it down.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I'm running 5.0.0 tethered jailbroken on my iPod 4g. I've been hesitating to upgrade for the untether because of the work involved reinstalling apps, themes, tweaks etc.

Other than being untethered, what are the benefits to updating to 5.0.1? I don't feel any need to right now but knowing me I'll wait too long and then find out about some awesome feature I've been missing out on and have to wait for a new jailbreak to update again.

Altoid
May 14, 2002
I would like to upgrade to the 4S and sell my 4 now that it's about to be jailbroken.

My 4 is on iOS 4.2.1 and baseband 01.59.00 (unlockable). I haven't been following the jailbreak world super closely since I took my phone to 4.2.1 which I guess was February? But, I believe 01.59.00 baseband is still the newest unlockable baseband? Is this correct?

And what is the highest iOS I can take it up to in order to resell the phone? Also can someone please let me know if the following guide is ok to use or there's a better one or higher iOS I should go to: http://www.redmondpie.com/sn0wbreeze-2.2-pwnagetool-for-windows-for-creating-ios-4.2.1-custom-firmware-available-for-download/

Basically want to sell my old phone and get the highest resale value possible on it.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Funkmaster General posted:

I'm running 5.0.0 tethered jailbroken on my iPod 4g. I've been hesitating to upgrade for the untether because of the work involved reinstalling apps, themes, tweaks etc.

Other than being untethered, what are the benefits to updating to 5.0.1? I don't feel any need to right now but knowing me I'll wait too long and then find out about some awesome feature I've been missing out on and have to wait for a new jailbreak to update again.
5.0.1 had some major bugfixes regarding battery life, and it's likely to be the last untethered version for a while as the beta for the newest patch beyond it stops how the untether works. Just bite the bullet and get it.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Go to 5.0.1 untethered while you still can. The one you're on is unsustainable and you'll be unlikely to be able to jailbreak from when 5.1 is released, at least for a long while.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

When I went from 5.0.0 tethered to 5.0.1 untethered all I did was press update in iTunes and then jailbroke and used apt-get (in the op) to get all my jailbreak apps back. No need to reinstall apps or anything like that. Took about 15 min from start to finish

It's nothing like pre-5.0 when you had to do a full restore. Now it seems like Update in iTunes only installs the delta upgrade despite having to download the full ipsw.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Vertigus posted:

You could use iScheduler (sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who uses this amazing app) to launch InstaCast or Downcast or FastCast or whatever the hell app you want at timed intervals (ideally at night). This is assuming the apps automatically start downloading your podcasts once they've been launched. If so, that just might work.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Rick Rickshaw posted:

You could use iScheduler (sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who uses this amazing app) to launch InstaCast or Downcast or FastCast or whatever the hell app you want at timed intervals (ideally at night). This is assuming the apps automatically start downloading your podcasts once they've been launched. If so, that just might work.

Woah, that's perfect, thanks!

Now I can relive the joy of having my podcasts downloaded automatically while I sleep, without having to deal with iTunes.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

Vertigus posted:

Woah, that's perfect, thanks!

Now I can relive the joy of having my podcasts downloaded automatically while I sleep, without having to deal with iTunes.

I actually had never used this feature before so I got curious just now. It seems as though the app launch scheduler will unlock your phone, if it's locked, to launch the application. But if there's a passcode, it appears that it won't override that, but it also won't launch the app.

I hope you don't use a passcode. I don't, but I use Move2Unlock to try to trick unwanted intruders.

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 16, 2012

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
What the hell is it with jailbreaking that causes my home button to not work half the time? It's not activator. I don't have activator installed. Restore to stock and the problems go away. Argh?! :argh:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

jojoinnit posted:

In iTunes, click your device, click apps, scroll down. You should be able to select VLC and click the Add button on the side to just select and upload directly into the app. Every media player I've used on my iPhone works this way. My favourite isn't actually VLC which is kinda short on features, but Cinexplayer.

Christoff posted:

jojoinnit posted:

Yes.

Nope.

Or maybe appsync just isn't working for me right now

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004

status posted:

What the hell is it with jailbreaking that causes my home button to not work half the time? It's not activator. I don't have activator installed. Restore to stock and the problems go away. Argh?! :argh:

Myself and a mate have this some problem. He was convinced it was a hardware issue, but I forced him to unjailbreak and the problem went away. Of course, we're both using a jailbreak now, just dealing with the home button pain.

dweebgal
Aug 1, 2004

status posted:

My never jailbroken boyfriend had the same issue.

Took it into the Apple store and got a replacement.

So it *could* be hardware, if you're back on stock, you might as well take it in.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

dweebgal posted:

So it *could* be hardware, if you're back on stock, you might as well take it in.

I assume you have to be under warranty for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

dweebgal posted:

I thought it was a hardware issue about a year ago, so I replaced my home button. The problem returned though. :(

• Locked thread