Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Nettle Soup posted:

If no one has taken this one yet I think I will. Anyone got a good idea for title text?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Talorat posted:

If no one has taken this one yet I think I will. Anyone got a good idea for title text?

A gift! How wonderful!

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
"Trust coyotes bearing gifts."

"All the best apologies are toothy."

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Nondevor posted:

Who has two thumbs and can make his antlers come back?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I hope the other Foley students become semi-regulars. They seem pretty cool.

nothings
Sep 29, 2008
I don't think I've seen any Annie+Kat avatars... so anyone who wants this can take it:

Or flipped if you want Kat facing the text:

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Annie's gonna burn the flowers when she tries to conjure something :ohdear:

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.

Fragrag posted:

Avatar talk aside, I just noticed the really fine sentence right next Jeanne's head in the "second" panel during their fight. This chapter also boasts the best eyebrows ever.

Whelp, just had to re-read this chapter. I read this one as it came out, and this might be the first time I've read it all at once. Definitely gave it more impact. It is so beautiful, and I mean that about both the gorgeous art (especially in the aetherium), and the story itself. I may or may not have teared up during the telling of Jeanne's story and subsequent pages. It was probably my allergies... And uh, the sun was in my eyes, yeah.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Am I the only one who's expecting the other kids to wonder what Annie was before and it will be awkward and awful? :byodood:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

T-man posted:

Am I the only one who's expecting the other kids to wonder what Annie was before and it will be awkward and awful? :byodood:

I guess that they'd see that instantly snice she doesn't have their eyes or other marks, also since she needs (needed) a blinker stone. Still, somehow I too can't shake the feeling that something bad is about to happen :tinfoil:

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

Darn straight it has. (Thank you, Avatar Fairy!)
Ah, good. It's one of my favorite Coyote faces. And he is very surprised to see that other coyote you quoted. I wonder if he gets confused when he looks in mirrors?

Dese Foley bums is a buncha showoffs

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Perestroika posted:

I guess that they'd see that instantly snice she doesn't have their eyes or other marks, also since she needs (needed) a blinker stone. Still, somehow I too can't shake the feeling that something bad is about to happen :tinfoil:

They'll probably start asking how she got that wound on here face. And then things will get really awkward.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
Does Annie even remember that she has it? I had forgotten that it was from her encounter with Jeanne down in the ravine until one of those god damned 'oh hey, I missed dinner because of Gunnerkrigg archives', but when Coyote commented on it Annie seemed confused as to what he was talking about.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

WeaponBoy posted:

Does Annie even remember that she has it? I had forgotten that it was from her encounter with Jeanne down in the ravine until one of those god damned 'oh hey, I missed dinner because of Gunnerkrigg archives', but when Coyote commented on it Annie seemed confused as to what he was talking about.

I think that was the only time it's been referenced since the injury itself and yeah, she didn't understand what he meant. And of course he moved right on to another subject rather than tell her "hey you got a big ether scar on your face. no no, YOUR left". Still, she might have noticed or figured it out off-screen at some point. It wouldn't be the first thing she didn't have the common decency to give us exposition about. That jerkbutt is still lording Jones over us.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Zenzirouj posted:

That jerkbutt is still lording Jones over us.

Arg, I so hated that line, because it's such a tease. Annie clearly knows what's up with Jones now, but because it hasn't come up naturally in the narrative, we the audience don't know.

It's very good writing, but as a reader....damnit.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Arg, I so hated that line, because it's such a tease. Annie clearly knows what's up with Jones now, but because it hasn't come up naturally in the narrative, we the audience don't know.

It's very good writing, but as a reader....damnit.

Eh, I disagree. The 'unreveal' is a trope that irks me a bit, especially in a case like this where it's clear Tea is yanking the reader's chain. I'm of the opinion at this point that Jones isn't anything--which is to say, we'll never learn what she actually is because the author doesn't actually have an answer.

(I feel the same way about Vaarsuvius, to get a bit tangential; unless and until its gender is revealed in the comic, a prospect I find unlikely, it has no gender.)

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Zenzirouj posted:

I think that was the only time it's been referenced since the injury itself and yeah, she didn't understand what he meant. And of course he moved right on to another subject rather than tell her "hey you got a big ether scar on your face. no no, YOUR left". Still, she might have noticed or figured it out off-screen at some point. It wouldn't be the first thing she didn't have the common decency to give us exposition about. That jerkbutt is still lording Jones over us.

Do ether beings see themselves in mirrors

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

pandaK posted:

Do ether beings see themselves in mirrors

No, it's vampire rules.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

WeaponBoy posted:

I recently read that part of the story, and she thought it was Coyote playing a trick on her. To be fair, he did appear to make it glow.

And Annie does not understand really what Jones is. Jones Ysengrin attempted to explain it. So it is probably something that is a bit complicated to explain. Or, in the very least, Annie needs to learn a few more things before she understands Jones' explanation.
Edit: Reread the relevant part and fixed what I misremembered

Kgummy fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 17, 2012

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Still trying to find an avatar for myself!

I don't think this one is being used yet:

Though what would be a good bit of avatar text for it?
Oh no!
A sad face!
The saddest face!

Or this one:
for slightly less headache-inducing animation!
But I definitely lack a good bit of avatar text for this one. :(

Podima fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 17, 2012

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I like just
A sad face!
The saddest face!

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I changed mine too!

Everything is super great forever!

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Podima posted:

Or this one:
for slightly less headache-inducing animation!
But I definitely lack a good bit of avatar text for this one. :(

A post?
I demand to see it!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^ That's a winner, thanks! I'll hopefully get to that sometime tonight or tomorrow. :)

Edit: And sorted!

Podima fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 18, 2012

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Her hair! It goes up!

Clearly all the fairies are impressed (except for Blue).

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Fire head girl indeed.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jan 18, 2012

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
That picture of Annie is stunningly beautiful. If only there was a way to turn it into an avatar without ruining the quality.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
That reminds me, I wonder if we'll specifically find out how Forest people "die" and become human(ish). Because if it's literally the way they described it way back when they were trying to get Annie to murder them, no wonder Ysengrim is losing it. You can only stomp so many fairies before you get loopy.

Um, of course, that's just what I heard. From a friend. Who has that problem.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
I like how Red is a fan of Ysengrin for killing her.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
Ysengrin's a right good laugh, once you get to know him.

Number 169
Feb 25, 2007

Let's see if I can guess your function.
When was she trying to show Kat that? Someone link me? I don't need sleep.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Number 169 posted:

Here, I think.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Number 169 posted:

Here.

EDIT: Oh damnit DekeThornton. Although this was inevitable.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jan 18, 2012

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Number 169 posted:

Enjoy your comic insomnia.

^ :argh:

Edit, being loving beaten; a noble act that cannot be dismissed.

mrpwase fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jan 18, 2012

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
This is the best I can do:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SimonChris posted:

This is the best I can do:

Or if you want to go closer,

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

The face is better that way, but I think it looks more majestic when you can see her floating in the flames. Oh, well, I probably shouldn't replace my Coyote eye-vatar so soon anyway.

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Dang, so nice. :)

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Blue girl is in the throes of indecision, because now Annie's hair sticks up too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.

DekeThornton posted:

Here, I think.

Oh wow, I (somehow) didn't notice the phoenix/firebird shape above Annie in the 2nd to last panel on my first read-through. This comic continues to amaze.