Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

Skulduggery posted:

All of the Toys R Us stores I've been to have the Friends stuff with the girl toys. They had Friends signs that only fit on the front ends of aisles meaning that its not something that was decided at store level and that the company told them where to put it.

I wouldn't be so quick to write off Target and Walmart, Toys R Us is just as bad.

Guess it depends then, my Toys R us has the Friends stuff in the Lego aisle and then has a smaller display of them just out in the middle of everything. Regardless, it's incredibly gross not to put the Friends sets in the Lego aisle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Our local TRU and Walmart both have them separate but in the "Holy gently caress look at this new poo poo, you know you want this!" locations (As you walk in at TRU, and in a mini shelf in front of the Lego aisle at Walmart) that just bring them more attention without being anywhere gender specific.

My fiance came home from work the other and stopped at Walmart on the way, he can't wait for the next Lego sale at TRU since my mom gave him a gift card for Christmas. I can only imagine how many Lego Friends sets he's going to buy...

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

To me the thing that always set Lego apart from clones like megablocks were the minifigures (or as I knew them at the time, "Lego dudes"). The blocks themselves were often just as good or occasionally cooler due to set themes, but the "dudes" we're always either low quality or didn't work well aesthetically with Lego sets or mixed brand creations (yeah I did that, because I gave no fucks about purism and hadn't grown into my horrible toy elitism yet).

As a result, the friends sets make me want to vomit. Look at those minifigures. They are terrible.

Also still looking for someone who wants to trade their series 4 punk for one of my misc series 4 figs.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Kabong posted:

Already up on YouTube (possibly a rebroadcast of old episod based on YouTube post date? Either way, watching it now, looks cool.):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wKt4WkAMgM

This is totally mindblowing, and now I can finally understand why molds are so expensive. I thought the designer talking about how the police station was for boys at the end was funny considering the conversation in here the past few weeks.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Kabong posted:

Already up on YouTube (possibly a rebroadcast of old episod based on YouTube post date? Either way, watching it now, looks cool.):

I liked how they were talking about going back to their core product of making bricks while they were rolling footage of LEGO Universe...

Funkmaster General posted:

Also still looking for someone who wants to trade their series 4 punk for one of my misc series 4 figs.

Official LEGO Minifig trading thread

djfooboo fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jan 17, 2012

mania
Sep 9, 2004

Skulduggery posted:

All of the Toys R Us stores I've been to have the Friends stuff with the girl toys. They had Friends signs that only fit on the front ends of aisles meaning that its not something that was decided at store level and that the company told them where to put it.

I wouldn't be so quick to write off Target and Walmart, Toys R Us is just as bad.

The Toys R Us here has the Friends stuff with the rest of the lego stuff. I'm not from America though.

Picked up the Intergalatic Gal and the Butcher (by accident) and the Dinosaur and Gangster from series 5 today. All the packages had been felt over like crazy already, couldn't find the Minotaur, Highland Warrior or Roman Soldier and this is the second shop I've tried. I think I'll have to buy them opened from the lego shop. :(

Also I saw that Superman vs Lex Luthor Power Armor and it is so cool! Too bad it's like double the price here, hopefully it goes on sale soon.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I whipped up a post for that, but might as well crosspost it here in the main thread, a more comprehensive post than the one I made half a dozen pages back;

I've got a huge ~60lb box full of about a million billion Bionicle dudes from the first few series; Toa, Toa Nuva, Bohrok, Rahkshi, Rahi, Exo-Toa, Turaga, Matoran, Toa Metru, Vahki, a bunch of Throwbot discs and I think that's about it. Scads of them and piles of masks. When I say piles of masks, I mean I have the big bags full as well as a big fat box full of these fuckers:

which were a promo item at Legoland California like ten years ago. It's stupid how many of them I acquired. But they're pretty neat looking, hard to find, and trans-neon-green! I'd probably send half a dozen your way for some collectable minifigs or accessories.

I also have a bunch of train set parts(tracks, train bits, the on/off parts and RC adapter), and random minifigs from all sorts of series(mostly classic Pirates, Star Wars, Classic Castle, Classic City, and Aquazone stuff, as well as a handful of Islanders and Paradisa minifigs).

Pictures of everything can be seen here in a large thumbnail gallery with about 24 pics: http://imgur.com/a/sKQgG

If interested in anything, be it by color, type(body part, weapon, etc), or figure, would be the easiest way for me to sort out stuff for trade, so keep that in mind.

What I'm after:

basically any collectable minifigs that are not whatever surfing/skiing/skateboarding jerk is included in every single series(I'd probably trade for those, but not a whole lot for'em). I'll trade the minifigs I have 2:1 for a run-of-the-mill collectable minifig, 3 or even 4:1 for good ones(series 1 Space Man/Robot/Zombie/Clown, Punk Rocker, Mad Scientist, Elf, Roman Warrior, S3 Space Villain, Spartan, all w/ accessories) depending on what minifigs you'd like. I'd also trade handfuls of bits from the big cardboard box at random for minifigs, or we could work something out for specifics.

I'd also be interested in the collectable minifig accessories alone or a fair amount of the baseplates if you're willing to part with them. Basically any of them that are exclusive to the line or hard to acquire in other sets. Shoot me an email at captaininvictus@gmail.com or PM me on here with what you've got, what you're interested in or vague ideas so we can narrow things down.

edit: oh I'd also be interested in these if you've by chance acquired some of these Nintendo-affiliated Lego products, not exactly collectable minifigs but if I can kill two birds with one stone:

As an aside, I have a Grab Bag Trip Report once I can upload the photos on my camera. Snagged four grab bags from the Lego Store, I love'em. I think I got some bits from the Robie House and Pet Shop, too.

Rocket Ace
Aug 11, 2006

R.I.P. Dave Stevens
So I got first dibs on the series 6 minifigs here in my part of Ottawa and I found it rather easy to find the ones that I was looking for by just feeling up each package (snicker) for those distinctive bits.

The wind up robot is easy to find: the square head and the wind up gear stood out.

The Minotaur is pretty easy to find: the head is huge and bulky, and can be confirmed by looking for the axe handle.

The Roman Soldier as well: if you can find that shield, and confirm it by the spear, you're good to go.

The gunslinger was easy too: that fedora/cowboy hat and the guns are easy to spot too.

Very pleased with this series (at least for these figures in particular). I was worried that the girls in the shop were gonna be weirded out by a thirty year old searching through lego figures, but they were looking for a robot TOO! I love that store: they even to "tradesies" (by having a couple of pre-opened figures near the cash so if a kid (or manchild) gets a figure they didn't want, they can swap it with one of the store ones.

So awesome...

Interlude
Jan 24, 2001

Guns are basically hand fedoras.

Merchant of Death posted:

Until petshop was released the roof was the largest piece number/hardest to get for cafe corner and even with the pet shop released it won't lower the cost that much but at least lego is making it so you can call in and order it from lego directly for a lot less then the lego direct price.
Ehh how's that now?

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:

Rocket Ace posted:

So I got first dibs on the series 6 minifigs here in my part of Ottawa...

Which part? I haven't seen them yet, mind you I haven't looked in a week.

Rocket Ace
Aug 11, 2006

R.I.P. Dave Stevens

CADPAT posted:

Which part? I haven't seen them yet, mind you I haven't looked in a week.

The Miss Tiggy Winkles in Westboro. They have two fresh boxes there (or at least, they did last night).

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Kabong posted:

After watching this, it makes those rare deals of finding some brand new, $100 set for half off that much more amazing. The sheer scale of production and distribution involved is almost shocking.

Also, how :krad: would it be to go to one of those massive storage warehouses and just start dumping bins into a big pile? gently caress storage, I wanna be Scrooge McLego.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

InfinEight posted:

Also, how :krad: would it be to go to one of those massive storage warehouses and just start dumping bins into a big pile? gently caress storage, I wanna be Scrooge McLego.

Good luck getting those 1x1 tiles out of your feet.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
You aren't a man until you've walked barefoot across a linoleum floor covered in 1x1 plates and mini-fig heads :c00lbert:

\/\/ Those are there just so your feet will slide over the plates like cheese graders.

InfinEight fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 17, 2012

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

InfinEight posted:

You aren't a man until you've walked barefoot across a linoleum floor covered in 1x1 plates and mini-fig heads :c00lbert:

At least minifig heads have a round side.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

While looking for series 6 at my local Walmart, I noticed they have the big alien conquest command hq truck marked at $45. Debating on getting on, any thoughts on it?

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
I saw some Series 6 bags at the Tysons Corner store (VA) yesterday, but any bag left was probably weeping on the inside as every one of them had obviously been felt up and down by many, many people.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

InfinEight posted:

John McClane never had it so bad.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
I discovered why I was having such a hard time getting good minifigs. After chatting with employees, apparently a guy was going into the store when they got new shipments, going through their new boxes and feeling them all up. So a "new" box coming out of the backroom would have all of the crappy figs in it already.

It was a no-win scenario.

drat you Mrs. Tiggywinkles!

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

InfinEight posted:

\/\/ Those are there just so your feet will slide over the plates like cheese graders.

When I was still a kid, and when my brother and I still slept in the same room we had an entire room devoted to lego. It was definitely magical, but a kids lego room is a little bit different than an adults ideal version. Instead of a nice large table with shelves and rows and rows of little drawers filled with exactly the part you wish for there were about 3 half full tubs (like 25 gallons probably) of lego and then about a quarter inch frosting of lego covering everything else. Like I said, it was magical. To my parents, it was just painful.

Lord Ryan
Nov 10, 2011
This is what you get cheap on ebay

Where's my box?

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.
I found a bunch of these parts in my LEGO. Is it just me, or were the LEGO designers having too much subversive fun? :350:

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?

einTier posted:

I found a bunch of these parts in my LEGO. Is it just me, or were the LEGO designers having too much subversive fun? :350:

I'm afraid that's probably some generic palmate or palmately compound leaf.

Rocket Ace
Aug 11, 2006

R.I.P. Dave Stevens

CADPAT posted:

I discovered why I was having such a hard time getting good minifigs. After chatting with employees, apparently a guy was going into the store when they got new shipments, going through their new boxes and feeling them all up. So a "new" box coming out of the backroom would have all of the crappy figs in it already.

It was a no-win scenario.

drat you Mrs. Tiggywinkles!

Holy crap I guess that I was lucky then. I only got one of each of the ones that I wanted, but someone here said that there are supposed to be at least 3 of each so it WASN'T ME! I swear! :(

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've had some time off work and finally broke open the Master Builder Academy sets I've been hoarding since last July (it helps that the latest one showed up last Thursday).

I know some people complained about the low piece-to-price ratio, but these kits include a lot of pieces that I wasn't playing with in the '90s.

The colors of the parts in most of the sets are cool, too.

Edit: Fun with ball and socket joints. (and crappy cell phone photos)

The ball and socket joints work way better than the Technic rod and gear arms from my Spyrius robot back in the day. Although, that robot's arms would've required locking joints from the creature kit.

I think I'm looking forward to the microscale set the most.

BetterWeirdthanDead fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 18, 2012

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!

Rocket Ace posted:

Holy crap I guess that I was lucky then. I only got one of each of the ones that I wanted, but someone here said that there are supposed to be at least 3 of each so it WASN'T ME! I swear! :(

I didn't think it was because I went to Rideau. I asked them out of curiosity what would they sell me the whole crate for. They said they'd give me 10% off and then went to count how many were in the box they pulled from the back. There was only 50 in it when they counted it. Then they said some guy asked to see it yesterday. As a joke I said "I bet he was feeling them up and everything" and they laughed at that because apparently he had been.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
rideau has them now? drat I guess I will go there thursday and see what I can feel up.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.
I bought five S6, two mechanics two sk8r girls and the space lady. Pretty lame (aside from space lady) but I'll live. If anyone is looking to trade 6 for 5, I've got my post in the trading thread.

That said, I picked up the Batman/Catwoman set and the Friends set with the small pool. Batman set was fun, but lacking considering it was $13. But being a battlepack sort of set, I was ultimately buying it for the figs. The small Friends set was fun. She comes with a little pool and a lounge chair along with a drink. I might have to pick up the convertible next.

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

On a scale of one to ten, I think that's an awesome!

Pirate Ken posted:

I might have to pick up the convertible next.

The convertible is kinda cool, I built it for our play brick display yesterday. I love the colors, the turquoise blue is my favorite!

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Impulse-bought the Superman and powered armor set the other day, and the package just arrived.

My wildly excited son described it to his mom "It has Super Man, and Wonder Woman, and (in the green giant robot suit) Martin Luther King!"

'We shall overcome' would have been a lot easier with giant robot suits.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
So I was one of those odd kids who never got Lego when I was little, but I gave my 2 year old son the Duplo Police Station set for Christmas and we've been playing with it every single day since then. We don't even build the actual police station anymore, but end up building some kind of odd spaceship or giant multilevel robot.

We even went to Toys R Us the other day and perused all the different Legos, although we did not buy anything(And in my ToysRUs, the Friends stuff was outside the Lego aisle in it's own Friends stand). The rule from Mom is no new toys till his next birthday, since he got a pretty big pile of toys for Christmas. And we're also a little unsure if he might swallow some of the other smaller pieces in the normal Lego sets, so none of those yet. I was eyeing that Tripod though, and my son loved the Lex Luthor Robot set, since he loves giant robots.

Anyway, I'm rambling but today I heard there will be a new Legoland in our city and it opens March 17, and my wife texted me today that she already bought tickets since they were half off.

I have a bad feeling that I'm going to start buying Lego for myself.

AgentHaiTo fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 18, 2012

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Slo-Tek posted:

Impulse-bought the Superman and powered armor set the other day, and the package just arrived.

My wildly excited son described it to his mom "It has Super Man, and Wonder Woman, and (in the green giant robot suit) Martin Luther King!"

'We shall over come' would have been a lot easier with giant robot suits.

Truly, Superman fights for the American Way.

Also, I can't choose between the space shuttle and the emerald night. Help!

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 18, 2012

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Found these fine gentlemen while sorting my older legos. Any ideas on the guy all the way left?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

DrChud posted:

Found these fine gentlemen while sorting my older legos. Any ideas on the guy all the way left?

He's an Explorien.

Dr. Bonertron
Mar 26, 2009

The doctor said I was too muscular to be aborted

Tighclops posted:

He's an Explorien.

I had just about every Explorien set as a kid. Some of my favorites. :)

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Who's the dude all the way on the right?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

He's a town set from the mid 80s...he drives a truck like the one on his shirt if I remember right.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
That's Tommy Nine-toes.

The torso is in a few sets.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

DrChud posted:

Telemarketer, astronaut, hockey player, soccer player, drives the Zamboni.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

MaliciousOnion posted:

That's Tommy Nine-toes.

The torso is in a few sets.

Well, you just named that torso forever for me. :laugh: