Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Ended up finding these leathers on eBay, new, for $500:

http://www.rst-moto.com/index.php/products-details/moto_rst_tractech_1_piece_leather_suit/

Shipping from the UK was cheap for me since I'm in France but even with additional charge for US shipping this suit comes in cheaper than equivalent Alpinestars and such available in the US. Comes with all the standard nice features: CE armor, perforation, kevlar stretch panels, race hump, good quality leather, triple-stitching. Also, interestingly, an integrated CE-approved back protector.

Made in Pakistan, "designed" in the UK. Might be worth a look if you want some inexpensive leathers as the US brands don't really offer anything decent at this price point new.

Also I'm 5'8", 140 pounds, normal proportions, size 38UK fits me well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

2ndclasscitizen posted:

After all the Kriega love, I've ordered a US-30. Been wanting a big tailpack for a while because I've got a bad neck, and a bunch of Christmas/New Year's overtime and public holiday rates plus a new girlfriend who is 40min away by the beach made me pull the trigger. Should be good hopefully. I measured it up against the Lowepro Minitrekker pack I usually use and it's the same length and width, but twice as deep. Being able to mount the straps to the frame and just click it on and off rather than having to take the seat off will be great.

Same. Picked up a R25 and a US20 for summer time adventures and a new girlfriend who lives in the city. gently caress driving downtown Seattle in a car even remotely lowered.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Pretty sure I should be getting a kickback from Kriega at this point :haw:

All of you who just ordered Kriega gear - definitely be interested in hearing your opinions of it after you receive it and use if for a bit.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I want a US20 now. Thanks jerkfaces. I was perfectly fine using an old decent backpack. But now... eh.

I'm actually surprised they are priced so well. Especially when you consider that it's hard to find a decent small laptop bag for those prices.

I think I'll wait till spring though. I won't be riding for 2.5 months still...

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

How are the Kriega packs over bulkier textile suits? I don't see myself doing too many long distance trips in my race leathers but if they work well over a 'stitch or olympia suit I might know what I'm getting for my birthday.

Also 14" laptop, fit in a R25 fine?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Got my A* one-o-one and mesh jacket today. It is definitely at least one size small than listed though, so I'm glad I upped the sizes when I ordered it. Seems decent enough quality though. I didn't know they made their stuff in Vietnam, but for $300 shipped including taxes I really can't bitch too badly I suppose.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

NitroSpazzz posted:

How are the Kriega packs over bulkier textile suits? I don't see myself doing too many long distance trips in my race leathers but if they work well over a 'stitch or olympia suit I might know what I'm getting for my birthday.

Also 14" laptop, fit in a R25 fine?

I can get my r35 on over the bulkiest rain/cold weather gear.
Every now and again i have to use a regular backpack and the struggle to haul one of them on over elbow/shoulder armour drives me insane.

One of my friends has the r25 and he can fit his laptop into it ok its 14'' or 15'', my r35 will swallow any laptop i've tried to put in it.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Ordered my US-30 10pm Wednesday night, showed up at my house 1pm today, and I didn't even use express postage. Awesome service! Only problem is that it showed up 15min before I had to leave for work so didn't get to use it today :(

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel that was orange
If anybody needs to buy stuff from motorcycledear.com; I got a 10% off coupon.

It's good until the 24th. PM me or email me at wraith216 at gmail.com. First come, first serve.

Edit: Gone

Commodore 64 fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 8, 2012

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Regarding Kreiga, they sent a mail that pretty soon all their US-x0 prices are going to go up, but to go along with the new cost they're all getting the bigger-bag mounts where you have straps with metal buckles that attach to the subframe. If you want the existing plastic buckles they still have them for a little bit. Personally I like having the bag come off with the seat, especially since I have to take the seat off to do anything.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Do all A* pants zip to all jackets? I really want to get some proper riding pants and it would be nifty if they went together.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Nitramster posted:

Do all A* pants zip to all jackets? I really want to get some proper riding pants and it would be nifty if they went together.

Probably, but if it doesn't:

KARMA! posted:

Xovaan, if you find a pair of pants you like any tailor could sew one half of the zipper on the other article of clothing. It's your choice if you want to match the jacket to the pants or vice-versa.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Speaking of which, I'm actually heading to Oakland to pick up a pair of the same pants I got in exactly my size for $150 and selling the ones I got on Craigslist again. Used gear owns so hard.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Snowdens Secret posted:

Regarding Kreiga, they sent a mail that pretty soon all their US-x0 prices are going to go up, but to go along with the new cost they're all getting the bigger-bag mounts where you have straps with metal buckles that attach to the subframe. If you want the existing plastic buckles they still have them for a little bit. Personally I like having the bag come off with the seat, especially since I have to take the seat off to do anything.

I hate you for telling me this.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
What is the opinion on Sidi Fusions? I really need to step up my boots to something with some protection. I want to avoid the power ranger look though. The Sidis seem to be a good combo of looks, safety, and price. I vaguely recall negative opinions on the safety aspect however.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
If you're gonna get boots I'd get more than Fusions if you want safety. They have no real ankle support. No more than a pair of hiking boots or something. Easy to get on / off though.

Agent 86
Jun 14, 2002

slidebite posted:

Got my A* one-o-one and mesh jacket today.

Nice. That was my first mesh jacket.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

JP Money posted:

If you're gonna get boots I'd get more than Fusions if you want safety. They have no real ankle support. No more than a pair of hiking boots or something. Easy to get on / off though.

This. There's some extra padding in the ankles, but that's about it. They're nice boots, but not the stiffest.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Alright, the fusions are out. What's a good boot that isn't some sort of toughened up shoe or balls out power ranger looking thing?

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I have the Sidi Sport Rains and they're great. They don't have sliders or anything, so they may not work well for the track, but they do have a couple internal armor plates and the ankles are quite stiff, while still being comfortable enough. I would definitely say they provide way more support than hiking boots. I wear them all day at work, and while my feet do get a bit sweaty they're otherwise not much worse than combat boots, and look fairly normal at a glance. They're supposed to be waterproof and are fine for light rain, but after more than 30 minutes or so in heavy rain they'll start to soak through.

Good sale going on now too, if they've got your size:
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/boots/sidi/sport_rain_motorcycle_boots.html

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Just got the Dainese P103 pants in exactly my leather-daddy skin-tight size and am selling the Craigslist ones in size 57 I purchased for $140 for $220. Life's good.

They're the non-perforated ones but so far due to being broken in I can say wow they fit perfectly. I can't wear jeans under them like I can with my textile touring pants but I have solid assurance that if I fail at living my dream as a professional imaginary sport bike rider, I can at least strive to be a power bottom.

Also just got my Lexol leather conditioner in and so far I am pretty drat impressed. Really added a lot more vigor to the look of the pants. How easily does daddy-butter wash from non-porous surfaces? How often should I be conditioning leather?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Snowdens Secret posted:

Remember when I said I hated you for this?

A UScombo30 and some keeper straps are on my way to my house. :mad:

:)

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

What do you guys recommend for reflective tape to sew/iron onto a Kriega R30? Does any brand work or are some better than others?

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Xovaan posted:

What do you guys recommend for reflective tape to sew/iron onto a Kriega R30? Does any brand work or are some better than others?

The R30 isn't already reflective? The R35's are.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

It has a small square at the bottom but it is just silver not anthracite or another ultra reflective substance. Just looking to add a bit more to it since 75% of my riding is at dusk and night time and my armor and bike are black. :ohdear:

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

Xovaan posted:

It has a small square at the bottom but it is just silver not anthracite or another ultra reflective substance. Just looking to add a bit more to it since 75% of my riding is at dusk and night time and my armor and bike are black. :ohdear:

You can get those Oxford reflective strips, fairly cheap. Wouldn't sewing something into that bag stop it being waterproof??

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I was gonna try to sew them to the edge of the straps to have the same effect of the flickering bike headlights. My other option is something for my helmet, but I can't think of any stickers I'd wanna put there. Is the black reflective tape pretty bright still?

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Xovaan posted:

I was gonna try to sew them to the edge of the straps to have the same effect of the flickering bike headlights. My other option is something for my helmet, but I can't think of any stickers I'd wanna put there. Is the black reflective tape pretty bright still?

You can get the 3M Scotchlite reflective tape, it's pretty good from all reports.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Even the black tape turns bright white when hit with light. AFAIK the colour of the tape has no bearing on the reflectivity as it is a shitload of tiny little lenses embedded in the tape which do the reflecting.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Back to college from next Monday and my timetable puts me in peak traffic so using the car is out of the question meaning i'll be back to all weather bike commuting again..
Using this a flimsy justification to buy new things i ordered one of these

and one of these

and lastly one of these

should all be here by friday which means i can move one old helmet out of rotation and redo this video with a camera that has actually some pixels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxMQBIv97y8

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
I'm debating between Alpinestars leather two-piece or one-piece suits. From the looks of it the one-piece suit comes with more protection, but I'm wondering if I'd end up using the two-piece more. Any tips?

Also, what size cheekpads should I order for my Shoei RF-1000 to make it fit less like a bucket? It's a medium, and I can definitely wiggle it around on my head now without my cheeks/neck moving. Yikes. (I like this helmet a lot and I'd like to use it for at least another year before I cave and start seriously thinking about a new one.)

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Ghost Cactus posted:

I'm debating between Alpinestars leather two-piece or one-piece suits. From the looks of it the one-piece suit comes with more protection, but I'm wondering if I'd end up using the two-piece more. Any tips?

What do you want to use the leathers for? Two-piece for street, one-piece for track, one-piece if you want to do both. I rock a one-piece on the street and it's fine. There's not much to it, really - how badly do you want to be able to remove the jacket when stopped? I don't give no fucks so I just bought the most protective option.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Ghost Cactus posted:

Couple of words on this.

First, I don't recommend buying what manufactures advertise as a "two-piece". It's very possible that you'll wind up with a top-half that fits well and a bottom-half that doesn't fit (or vice-versa). Instead, find yourself a jacket that meets your price & protection criteria and match it up with a pair of Track Pants. The only "benefit" to buying a "two-piece" over a matching jacket/pants is that design/color of the pants match the jacket. The only exception to this is the GP-Pro suit, which has a slightly upgraded pair of pants attached to it (external PU knee protection).

In my personal opinion, I would advise buying a two-piece unless you plan on doing a lot of track days, or if you plan on racing. One-pieces are designed for you to be on a motorcycle, period. They are pre-curved (you cannot stand up straight in a properly fitting 1pc), tight fitting, and when you do take it off partially to walk around you are stuck holding the top-half of it at your sides. This means if you're up in the mountains and stop to check out a trail, overview, stop to get lunch, etc. it is that much more of a hassle. This is only amplified when it's 90F outside and you're sweating balls. When you're at the track, you have about 40 minutes out of every hour that you are probably going to be walking around the pits. Again, it's a hassle lugging the 1-piece around.

With a two-piece it takes 5 seconds to unzip your jacket and slide off your back protector (if you're wearing one). The other nice thing about the two-piece is you can wear the jacket as your everyday jacket and just zip in the pants when you hit up the mountains or go to the track. I have an A/S Vector jacket (on closeout for $399 now) and A/S Track pants ($399), so about $800 for something that serves as my everyday jacket, my mountain gear, and my track gear. Compare that to spending $399 on a street jacket and another $1000 on a 1-piece (of equivalent quality to the jacket) for my mountain/track needs. That's a $600 price difference.

Now, you might be wondering about the safety difference between the two. There isn't much of one, generally. Alpinestars uses a full circumference zipper on all of their leathers. The zipper is a attached to a stretch panel on the jacket so your still maintain flexibility with the two pieces attached. This stretch panel is the same material that they use on the stretch panels on their suits. It's kevlar-reinforced so it is heavily abrasion resistant if it does happen to contact asphalt (it usually doesn't, because the leather of the jacket comes down low enough to cover the zipper connection).

The only downside in my opinion is the pants. Alpinestars' highend one-piece suits (Tech 1-R, Racing Replica) have some very beefy armor in the lower half, along with some nice features such as rubberized grips on the inside for gripping the tank. The knee sliders on the "racier" suits (CR, SP-1, GP-Pro, Tech 1-R, Racing Rep) also tend to be positioned outward further which results in better contact with the ground when you're dragging knee. It's not a huge deal, but it's there.

A lot of it depends on how much you want to spend. If you're looking at their mid-range suits (Carver, Trigger, CR, etc) then the protection is going to be about the same with a two-piece. In fact, you can get even more protection with the 2pc if you jump into a nice jacket like a Tech 1-R. If you're looking at their high end stuff (mainly the Tech 1-R), then there are going to be features that you will not be able to get with a 2pc so you may be more inclined to go towards the 1pc.

quote:

Also, what size cheekpads should I order for my Shoei RF-1000 to make it fit less like a bucket? It's a medium, and I can definitely wiggle it around on my head now without my cheeks/neck moving. Yikes. (I like this helmet a lot and I'd like to use it for at least another year before I cave and start seriously thinking about a new one.)
Medium RF1100 comes stock with 35mm pads. I would probably go with 37mm pads -- that should tighten up the helmet nicely on you. If it's really huge on you now, you might try a pair of 39's but 4mm is a very big jump.

edit: Misread the model of helmet. Exact same thing applies to the RF1K though.

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jan 18, 2012

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
That's exactly what I'm going for. Already have the track pants and want to pick up the GP Pro before the season starts (used the Mert jacket so far). Also good A* full gloves and maybe motocross boots. I'm still using Icon timax gloves that flew off when I crashed three years ago.

Most guys at the track that I went to take their suits off completely because there is so much time in between runs. I haven't really worked out anything that is going to fit under super tight leathers yet so I end up wearing the track pants all drat day. Is there some trick to this for the racers that don't have vans/rigs that can serve as changing rooms?

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

-Inu- posted:

Awesome info!

Thank you so much for this - I'll start digging into what jacket & track pants I want, and I'll get the cheekpads you recommended. I really appreciate all the info.

Is there a specific women's jacket/pant setup you'd recommend? It looks like if I want to stick with Alpinestars, these pants and this jacket are my options. I don't really care about styling - I'd wear men's gear if it fit - I just want to be safe & comfy. :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Phone drop double post :downs:

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 18, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
There are a few companies out there that make custom leathers for really cheap. I have a friend who just got some, and I can find out the name from her if you're interested.

Another option is waiting around for sales and closeouts, my wife has a Frank Thomas one piece that we picked up for $200. With some better armor it should protect quite well. Women's gear can get really cheap on sale , but fit is much more finicky, so a good return policy is essential.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Alpinestars Tech 10. Expensive boots. Worth it? Enlighten me, please.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Alpinestars Tech 10. Expensive boots. Worth it? Enlighten me, please.

Probably not for a street bike. Maaybe sumo. They're stiffer in the ankle region than sport bike type boots and made to lift your leg to shift. Street boots flex a bit more in the ankle so you aren't lifting your whole leg up to shift.

To be more specific - what kind of riding do you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Gnaghi posted:

I haven't really worked out anything that is going to fit under super tight leathers yet so I end up wearing the track pants all drat day. Is there some trick to this for the racers that don't have vans/rigs that can serve as changing rooms?

Just wear dark-colored compression shorts or compression leggings. Cycling stuff works well. I wear my bike shorts for hours outside on a bicycle - briefly slipping athletic shorts over them after taking leathers off does not even cross my mind. I can also fit mildly-slim athletic shorts (such as for running or soccer...no pockets) inside my leathers with no serious bunching or chafing.