Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

bobkatt013 posted:

Ravens is a rip off of Come out and play

I thought it was Come as you are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
It's actually "Come as As You Are", which is actually ludicrously fitting given the flock. Jericho had an "Even Flow" rip off and that's the extent of my Jimmy Hart rip off WCW knowledge.

Jimmy Hart is a master of copying just enough to not get sued. WWE seems to mostly be original - only Jimmy Hart version I think they had Johnston do is Tommy Dreamer, who had a really close knock off of "Man in a Box".

It has value, it ties a wrestler to a popular song and people hear it, it keeps wrestling in their heads.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

It's actually "Come as As You Are", which is actually ludicrously fitting given the flock. Jericho had an "Even Flow" rip off and that's the extent of my Jimmy Hart rip off WCW knowledge.

Jimmy Hart is a master of copying just enough to not get sued. WWE seems to mostly be original - only Jimmy Hart version I think they had Johnston do is Tommy Dreamer, who had a really close knock off of "Man in a Box".

It has value, it ties a wrestler to a popular song and people hear it, it keeps wrestling in their heads.

Austin and D-X's themes come from Johnston admitting he was re-working a Rage Against the Machine song. I remember him and Austin mentioning that Austin wanted something that sounded like "Bombtrack" for his theme.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lone Rogue posted:

I thought it was Come as you are?

Ah I thought that was just a rip off of his ECW theme.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
The idea of Steve Austin listening to Rage Against the Machine is so :psyduck:

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

If we want to get REALLY nerdy about it, Raven's theme is a blend of "Come As You Are" and Lynyrd Skynyrd's "That Smell," which I think is where the solos come from.

In any case, it fit Raven perfectly and Hart's WWF stuff wasn't boring and interchangeable like all Johnston's post-Attitude themes have been.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I personally liked Raven's TNA version of Come as You Are more than the WCW one. Well, I thought it fit his character better. That is about all the nice things I can say for TNA themes though. I remember being assaulted by the Beautiful People's "theme" so often during one episode of Impact that my ears wanted to bleed.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

The FBI/Nunzio's theme was a pretty obvious ripoff of No Sleep Till Brooklyn. And I know there are instances of the same basic song being re-used/redone for other wrestlers (like Sid Justice/Crush).

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Suben posted:

The FBI/Nunzio's theme was a pretty obvious ripoff of No Sleep Till Brooklyn. And I know there are instances of the same basic song being re-used/redone for other wrestlers (like Sid Justice/Crush).

WWE is notorious for re-using themes. Hell, they are doing it right now with Funkasaurus! The best would be Patriot/Angle and the toot horn for Tugboat/Steve Regal/U.N.I.O.N.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

someone needs to bring back a real man

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Lone Rogue posted:

WWE is notorious for re-using themes. Hell, they are doing it right now with Funkasaurus! The best would be Patriot/Angle and the toot horn for Tugboat/Steve Regal/U.N.I.O.N.

Oh I know about re-using themes. I meant more re-using them with small changes or something. Like making JHVs of their own themes... although the Sid/Crush one is the only one that really jumps out at me right now.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

Well, there's DDPs 'Teen Spirit' rip off theme, too.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

A ton of the music ripoff songs you're talking about we're made by Jimmy Hart but came from the Turner library.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
This is the best WCW ripoff theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzfszKuO6vA

Another good one used by Hak, which made sense for him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcImqe7apBU

What didn't make sense was that it was originally used by Mongo.

Also Jimmy Hart wrote a number of the best WWF themes of the 80s and 90s, so he's not just a ripoff artist.

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jan 17, 2012

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

bobkatt013 posted:

someone needs to bring back a real man

This never stops being great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioc5xBQPWvk

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Bocc Kob posted:

The idea of Steve Austin listening to Rage Against the Machine is so :psyduck:
gently caress YOU HE WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL HIM TO!

Little Miss RKO posted:

I dream of one day debuting as a crazy cat lady in the WWE. My name will be Kitty, and I'll carry a different cat with me every show. Complete with a different story of how I acquired said cat 10 minutes ago.
I hope you have a high tolerance for off colour jokes about your genitals/sexuality.

You know it would happen!

Edit: Watching the Nitro for this week, Bret Clark doesn't look quite right.

This is post the Goldburg match with that fateful kick. What's the story behind Hart still being on television, when did they realise it was the end of his career?

Also, speaking of rip off themes. I think the WCW horsemen theme reminds me of something but I can't put my finger on what, the first three of four bars specifically.

It's a loving sweet guitar tone too.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 17, 2012

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.
I thought Austin's theme was Razor Ramon's theme reworked.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

BillyMays posted:

I thought Austin's theme was Razor Ramon's theme reworked.

It is. Foley's Car Crash intro is a re-work of Razor's intro.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Which are both born from the Terminator 2 theme.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
I always thought Goldberg's theme was very Terminator music-y.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

Sue Denim posted:

I hope you have a high tolerance for off colour jokes about your genitals/sexuality.

You know it would happen!

I LIVE for bad puns. It's one of the reasons I love wrestling.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Little Miss RKO posted:

I LIVE for bad puns. It's one of the reasons I love wrestling.

Here is some puns http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxiAe3ULuxI

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Wojtek posted:

I always thought Goldberg's theme was very Terminator music-y.

It's from the Iron Eagle franchise.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Austin's music is a hard version of Razor's, and Razor's is a knock off of "Those Shoes" by The Eagles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57-bBwiIsWU

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Q_res posted:

Well, there's DDPs 'Teen Spirit' rip off theme, too.

Yeah but when it plays on the radio or in a bar you can throw out a "SELF HIGH-FIVE!" and maybe one of your friends will laugh. Mine do.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The guitar work in Foley's theme also sounds a LOT like the Pixies "Dig For Fire".

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I was amused that the WWF Superstar Line promo in 1996 used Lex Luger's WCW theme. They changed it in 1997, but it really makes me wonder why each company didn't abuse the ability to steal each others theme music that they licensed from a music house. Of course I am just assuming they didn't do a buyout on that stuff because I'd hear it tons of other places.

And speaking of theme music, while watching all these old WCW Nitros, very weird seeing wrestlers come out to Goldberg's theme, or one off jobbers use future themes that would be pretty recognizable with established stars later.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

I know much of this thread is dedicated to the bad things WCW did. Hell, I just got done recounting/requesting one of the more hilarious random moments I could remember. But they also did some great stuff, and not just necessarily with the awesome undercard matches of the late 90s. Basically, I have three words for you.

Average carpentry skills.

e: looking at the related videos sums up WCW pretty well. First, there's one that says "Curt Hennig joins The Four Horsemen, 8/25/97" and a few spots down, another video titled "Curt Hennig joins the nWo, 9/14/97"

Not to mention how they hyped up a big surprise/mystery for like two months prior to the 6/30/97 Nitro, which was Hennig debuting -- and doing absolutely nothing of note. I seriously think he came out during a brawl and stood at ringside, noncommittal.

nasboat fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 19, 2012

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Watching the last Nitro made me remember why I liked Double J so much as a kid, although I'm not quite sure what exactly it is that makes me enjoy him so much more than everyone else seems to or what I'm seeing that others don't.

I hope we get to watch Souled out on PSP, this is from memory from over a decade ago at a much younger age but from what I remember it was actually a good PPV, it's another one of those WCW PPV's where 'card subject to change' applies heavily.

Can someone tell me how and why it took so long for Hart to stop wrestling after the concussion? When/how did they realise it wasn't minor?

It seems it took a long time for this conclusion to be reached.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The 1997 Souled Out, the actual nWo PPV, was horrible IMO. There is no redeeming quality of it at all. The only match that ended cleanly was the ladder match between Syxx and Eddie, and even the Steiners winning the tag titles was reversed the next night.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Astro7x posted:

The 1997 Souled Out, the actual nWo PPV, was horrible IMO. There is no redeeming quality of it at all. The only match that ended cleanly was the ladder match between Syxx and Eddie, and even the Steiners winning the tag titles was reversed the next night.

Wasn't the ladder match at least really good, while pretty much the rest of the show was total poo poo as far as wrestling goes?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Wasn't the ladder match at least really good, while pretty much the rest of the show was total poo poo as far as wrestling goes?

Scotty Riggs proved to me he wasn't a bad wrestler and might have had a career for himself if he either cut his hair or embraced a pirate gimmick to more than just an eyepatch (he seriously had pirate hair).

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Sue Denim posted:

Watching the last Nitro made me remember why I liked Double J so much as a kid, although I'm not quite sure what exactly it is that makes me enjoy him so much more than everyone else seems to or what I'm seeing that others don't.

He would have been fine if he had not been shoved down our throats too fast. He needed a few years to cultivate more intense fan reactions before main eventing. The Jeff Jarrett MMA enthusiast and world's greatest dad we've been getting for the last few years feels a lot more natural than the Chosen One.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
This is really all you need from Souled Out: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x369mp_eddie-guerrero-vs-syxx-souled-out-1_sport

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

The ladder match was pretty good for its time, but by todays standards it was pretty tame. It didn't even make the most sense storyline wise at the time. Why would the nWo agree to a ladder match on a PPV where they can't use their bias ref to prevent Eddie from retaining?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

MrBling posted:

This is really all you need from Souled Out: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x369mp_eddie-guerrero-vs-syxx-souled-out-1_sport

Sorry but I think you made a typo and meant to post this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuCSGVUAyOY&list=ULfuCSGVUAyOY&feature=player_detailpage#t=637s

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009

Sue Denim posted:

This is post the Goldburg match with that fateful kick. What's the story behind Hart still being on television, when did they realise it was the end of his career?

His brains were too scrambled for him to realize that he needed to see a doctor, and nobody in charge of anything at WCW could recognize his symptoms so he went on being involved in things and taking bumps which exacerbated his condition. He eventually did see a doctor, who told him that he was done wrestling.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Oatgan posted:

Sorry but I think you made a typo and meant to post this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuCSGVUAyOY&list=ULfuCSGVUAyOY&feature=player_detailpage#t=637s

Speaking of Souled Out, are we going to watch the Souled Out from 2000?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Speaking of Souled Out, are we going to watch the Souled Out from 2000?

I hope not. It has one of the stupidest moments in WCW history, Dean Malenko v Kidman first person touches the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

bobkatt013 posted:

I hope not. It has one of the stupidest moments in WCW history, Dean Malenko v Kidman first person touches the floor.

You mean IN A DUNGEON MATCH.