Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vakal
May 11, 2008
Walk it off Frank, you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Vakal posted:

Walk it off Frank, you'll be fine.

I think every single internal organ he had outside of his brain was either torn to shreds or riddled with bullets by the end of the issue.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Surely that's it, what with all the flashbacks and such, there's no way he could survive what he went through in this issue. I mean, sure, if we were talking the 616 Frank, yeah, something could fix him up in 5 minutes but as far as the MAX version goes, he must be bowing out for good.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

While I wouldn't doubt Frank's on his way out, there's always the open plot thread of the Hand and how they supposedly don't want Frank dead. They could be the deus ex machina that fixes him up.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I have a feeling that if the series wasn't ending next issue (it is next issue, right?) the Hand bringing him back/keeping him alive is exactly what would happen. But as it is, I think he's dead as a doornail here.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TheJoker138 posted:

I have a feeling that if the series wasn't ending next issue (it is next issue, right?) the Hand bringing him back/keeping him alive is exactly what would happen. But as it is, I think he's dead as a doornail here.

The comic might be ending for now, but Punisher Max is an immensely profitable, critically acclaimed and iconic character for Marvel, and it would be really insane of them to just permanently close the door on him.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

The comic might be ending for now, but Punisher Max is an immensely profitable, critically acclaimed and iconic character for Marvel, and it would be really insane of them to just permanently close the door on him.

Is it that profitable? How has it been selling? It seems to me like they're pretty much killing the entire MAX line, with both this and Deadpool getting canned soon.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

The thing is you can kill Frank Castle from Punisher Max and relaunch a different "adult" Punisher book.

While they're similar in tone Punisher Max and The Punisher: Frank Castle don't share too many direct connections and it wouldn't be too hard to do the same with a new series.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

Is it that profitable? How has it been selling? It seems to me like they're pretty much killing the entire MAX line, with both this and Deadpool getting canned soon.

Deadpool's sales, Max especially, have been going down for a while. Deadpool Max is getting pretty unpopular:
http://www.deadpoolbugle.com/2012/01/december-2011-deadpool-sales-data.html

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

one millionth of one millionth of a second

Lurdiak posted:

Iconic and acclaimed, maybe, but Punisher hasn't been a top seller for years now. Even when the Ennis run was getting all sorts of praise, it never sold more than 35,000 copies a month according to The Beat. Now that the hype's gone I can see sales dropping into the toilet. Maybe it does better in trades, though.

It's always possible the MAX Nick Fury will turn up and patch him together, but as others have pointed out the MAX line is going away. If they're gonna kill Frank off, now's the best time to do it. They've already got a younger new Punisher active in the main line anyway, so they might as well go out with a bang.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I suppose they could do another relaunch with The Hand making him their leader after healing/reviving him, with Nick Fury opposing him, but considering they just tried that with DD (who, mind you is a very different character), it might be viewed pretty negatively.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I'd say it's way more likely that you see Sarah O'Brien show up as Punisher: Next Generation or something. Aaron did go out of his way to show a single panel in the last issue of Barracuda holding her baby carrier.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Wanderer posted:

I'd say it's way more likely that you see Sarah O'Brien show up as Punisher: Next Generation or something. Aaron did go out of his way to show a single panel in the last issue of Barracuda holding her baby carrier.

Got a picture?

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
I find Wanderer's suggestion extremely unlikely (no offense), but here's the page from issue 21:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I really think that panel was only there to show what kind of poo poo happens to his family when he's around them. Look at the panel it's directly under. I don't think it's foreshadowing anything in particular, it's just flashes of his life that happened as he was being beaten (almost) to death there.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I also think that scene is a slight nod that PunisherMAX is a continuity of Ennis' MAX series, since there's been (some) debate as to if this new Punisher series is in the same universe or not.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

notthegoatseguy posted:

I also think that scene is a slight nod that PunisherMAX is a continuity of Ennis' MAX series, since there's been (some) debate as to if this new Punisher series is in the same universe or not.

Has there? I thought they had previously made some pretty blatant references to it, going as far back as Marvel Knights stuff?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

Has there? I thought they had previously made some pretty blatant references to it, going as far back as Marvel Knights stuff?

I personally never doubted it. But I think this thread even had some debate early in Aaron's run.

My understanding is that the Ennis MAX series is it's own continuity and Aaron's Punisher continues from that. And that there is a separate, 616 continuity with the Marvel Knights Punisher series he did earlier (which feature superheroes and a non old-as-gently caress Nick Fury).

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

notthegoatseguy posted:

I personally never doubted it. But I think this thread even had some debate early in Aaron's run.

My understanding is that the Ennis MAX series is it's own continuity and Aaron's Punisher continues from that. And that there is a separate, 616 continuity with the Marvel Knights Punisher series he did earlier (which feature superheroes and a non old-as-gently caress Nick Fury).

I actually think that a lot of the Marvel Knights stuff does continuity double duty, as I know Ennis made reference to the Gnucci's and the Russian in MAX.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

I actually think that a lot of the Marvel Knights stuff does continuity double duty, as I know Ennis made reference to the Gnucci's and the Russian in MAX.

I'll take your word for it. I've only sporadically read Punisher runs (including Ennis' non-Max and MAX stuff) until Fraction did War Journalv2 during Civil War.

Maybe it's just me, but the current 616 Punisher title seems to be pretty drat dark. Outside of being able to show tits and curse without using $%#@%%^$#, what does a MAX title do that the current 616 Punisher title can't?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

TheJoker138 posted:

I really think that panel was only there to show what kind of poo poo happens to his family when he's around them. Look at the panel it's directly under. I don't think it's foreshadowing anything in particular, it's just flashes of his life that happened as he was being beaten (almost) to death there.

Oh, I'm not saying it's what's going to happen. I do think it's odd that out of all of the flashbacks in the last few issues, that's the only one referring back to anything in the past volume of MAX at all: nothing about Yorkie Mitchell, nothing about Microchip, nothing about Kathryn O'Brien. I wouldn't be surprised if it was foreshadowing something.

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

Wanderer posted:

Oh, I'm not saying it's what's going to happen. I do think it's odd that out of all of the flashbacks in the last few issues, that's the only one referring back to anything in the past volume of MAX at all: nothing about Yorkie Mitchell, nothing about Microchip, nothing about Kathryn O'Brien. I wouldn't be surprised if it was foreshadowing something.

You could argue that we're seeing the moments that affected him deeply, which is why they're all prior to his becoming the Punisher except for one. The deaths of Micro, Yorkie and O'Brien happen when he's mostly beyond deep feelings. Even if those people were his friends (or as close to friends as he can get), in the end they were just 3 more dead bodies in a life that's been full of them.

I got a little chill up my spine from writing that. I can't imagine being so far gone emotionally that I'm barely affected by the deaths of some of the only people who gave a drat about me.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

picosecond posted:

You could argue that we're seeing the moments that affected him deeply, which is why they're all prior to his becoming the Punisher except for one. The deaths of Micro, Yorkie and O'Brien happen when he's mostly beyond deep feelings. Even if those people were his friends (or as close to friends as he can get), in the end they were just 3 more dead bodies in a life that's been full of them.

I got a little chill up my spine from writing that. I can't imagine being so far gone emotionally that I'm barely affected by the deaths of some of the only people who gave a drat about me.

The big difference is that Micro betrayed him, and Yorkie and O'Brien, despite being friends, weren't family. Everything they showed in the issue, and his arc as a whole, was about his family.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
There's still plenty of areas that could be explored in a Max title, I've honestly wanted to read a Punisher year one similar to tone of Hulk / Spiderman books they did a while back with Tim Sale.

It'd be great to look at that character in the 70s and 80s.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Hollis posted:

There's still plenty of areas that could be explored in a Max title, I've honestly wanted to read a Punisher year one similar to tone of Hulk / Spiderman books they did a while back with Tim Sale.

It'd be great to look at that character in the 70s and 80s.

Yeah especially the bit where he blew up the earth-orbital crack den and jet packed away to safety on a CIA space shuttle.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sion posted:

Yeah especially the bit where he blew up the earth-orbital crack den and jet packed away to safety on a CIA space shuttle.

I can't tell if you're joking or not, but if you're not, what issue does this happen in because it sounds unironically awesome.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I can't tell if you're joking or not, but if you're not, what issue does this happen in because it sounds unironically awesome.
I love posting this cover:

I don't even know if this is what Sion is talking about, but hell, it's close enough.

My dream is to one day own the original art of this.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 16, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

gently caress yes. Thank you.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

redbackground posted:

I don't even know if this is what Sion is talking about, but hell, it's close enough.

I want to get this image tattooed across my back.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
poo poo, it's only $2 on Amazon, too. loving bargain.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

redbackground posted:

Goddamn, I had written off all of the Punisher stuff from the '80s as garbage. But I didn't know it was loving awesome garbage. I may have to check this out.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Am I right to be bothered that the entry is in the huge fuel tank and not the shuttle itself?

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
I re-read Homeless the other night before giving it to my mom to read and I can't figure out why Frank dug up Fisk's kid. I mean, I understand it's to get Fisk out of the tower but then he brought it to his wife's house (?) and then Elektra is there and we never see the body again, right? Maybe the Hand will res him, because otherwise it sort of seems like it was just a shock-value plot point, to me at least.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Bitchin Kitchen posted:

I re-read Homeless the other night before giving it to my mom to read and I can't figure out why Frank dug up Fisk's kid. I mean, I understand it's to get Fisk out of the tower but then he brought it to his wife's house (?) and then Elektra is there and we never see the body again, right? Maybe the Hand will res him, because otherwise it sort of seems like it was just a shock-value plot point, to me at least.

I figure Frank tried to appeal to Fisk's human side to try and get him out of his tower, first by stealing his kid's corpse and then by planning to murder his wife. Elektra, who was being paid by Fisk's wife to murder him, screwed Frank's plan though by inconveniently being there, and then Fisk realized he didn't give a poo poo about anyone but himself and went back to his tower.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
Oh poo poo so he was going to have Fisk's family dead in front of him like his was, you think? That makes sense, I forgot that Elektra being there would be a spanner in the works of whatever plan Frank had going anyways.

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

I thought that was a callback to the Nicky Cavella storyline from a few years earlier. Remember when that mob guy dug up Frank's family's remains and pissed on them, then released the video? Remember how Frank flipped out and walked into what he knew was a trap, because he saw a chance to kill the fucker and couldn't pass it up? My take on it was that Frank figured, "Hey, that worked on me and I'm a cold-hearted bastard. He's one too, maybe it'll work on him."

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
I have not actually read that story. That is really something else. I take it this Nicky Cavella wished he'd never been born? Do you happen to know the name of that story arc? I need to start buying Ye Olde Punisher Max.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I thought he dug up his kid to make the Kingpin look bad and undermine his authority the only thing that would get to him. Fisk wasn't angry he dug up his kid, but would be angry that everyone else would say" That punisher guy dug up Fisk's kid and Kingpin didn't do poo poo to him." It just undermines his authority. Something that has been shown to get to Kingpin.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Bitchin Kitchen posted:

I have not actually read that story. That is really something else. I take it this Nicky Cavella wished he'd never been born? Do you happen to know the name of that story arc? I need to start buying Ye Olde Punisher Max.

"Up is Down, Black is White" - Max issues 19-24.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Javid posted:

"Up is Down, Black is White" - Max issues 19-24.

He should really read every storyline before that too, though, as it's a culmination of almost all of them.

• Locked thread