Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

NoArmedMan posted:

Do Australian tourists usually head there in Summer? Most people from Victoria I know tend to head North as it gets colder down south in order to enjoy the warmth.
The Whitsundays and Fraser Island are both in Queensland, which is north of Victoria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah, I know, I'm from Melbourne. Every Victorian I know heads to the Whitsundays in winter, when it's the northern dry season to get away from the rain. I'd be surprised if the summer, cyclone and wet season, is the high season for domestic tourists.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

teacup posted:

Australian sun is brutal

A thousand times this. I was over at a friends BBQ yesterday, and it was cloudy and overcast and there was no real sun to speak of, and most of the kids who stayed out in the sun for more than an hour got sunburnt.

I got sun burnt in Bali when I was doing my scuba course. I spent most of the day in the sun, only reapplied sunscreen once, missing parts of my back and arms, and laughed because it was so much easier to deal with than an Australian sunburn.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

NoArmedMan posted:

Edit: it actually has times in the above link for Koala hugging, so the guy posting before about it being illegal is incorrect

Come on, man - he was obviously making a joke. It's hugging dropbears that is illegal, as you well know.

Salt Maker
Feb 5, 2006
Halogen was already taken
I'm going to Australia in April for a Working Holiday, are there any areas I should avoid/ go to while looking for work?

If I find a good job, how hard is it to change my visa to a more permanent one?

I have a university degree, English is my first language, and I'm young, if that has any impact.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
To the person who wanted to hug a koala, I'm not aware of anywhere that lets you hug them (one place where I grew up used to do it but stopped cause it was stressing out the koalas) but I can tell you that there's two places that I know of that will let you pet them.

Blackbutt reserve, located near Newcastle is a natural reserve with a small collection of native birds and some wombats on display. You can get up close to the koalas here, pet them and have your photo ta&en from about 11am.

Oakvale farm is located about a 25min drive/bus ride out of Newcastle towards Port Stephens (awesome beaches out this way) and is part wild reserve part petting zoo. It's more aimed towards kids as you can feed the wallabies and other animals but don't let that put you off as you can pt both the koalas and wombats here.

invalid posted:

What can you tell me about Newcastle/New South Wales? I just got accepted into their graduate program. Not sure how I feel about that.

See comments above. I go to the uni there and it's gorgeous, like going to achool in a forest. You'll see possums and cockatoos just walking around. But in summer the mosquitoes are really really bad. Is there anything in particular you want to know about Newcastle? I spend a lot of time there so feel free to ask me anything.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
what's the difference between hugging an angry koala and spending a day in the australian sun?

not much. really. like, not a lot at all.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

Helmacron posted:

what's the difference between hugging an angry koala and spending a day in the australian sun?

not much. really. like, not a lot at all.

Cancer.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
True story I fell asleep on a beach in Australia once and the resulting sunburn was so bad that at Christmas (this was in July) I still had the tan line.

When I get skin cancer in 25 years I will know exactly what sunburn caused it.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
If you're out East, go and see the Warrumbungles. They are gorgeous.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

HookShot posted:

True story I fell asleep on a beach in Australia once and the resulting sunburn was so bad that at Christmas (this was in July) I still had the tan line.

When I get skin cancer in 25 years I will know exactly what sunburn caused it.

Most cancerous sun damage is done before you hit your 20s. Most. I was 14 and fell asleep on the deck of our boat in Central Queensland, got burnt on my decolletage area, a month later had a for-real pre-cancerous mole cut out. It's loving brutal man.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
I burnt so goddamn bad once, I blackened, peeled, then scabbed up, then peeled, then walked around with patches of tender skin for ages that looked like little albino windows into me.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

NoArmedMan posted:

Yeah, I know, I'm from Melbourne. Every Victorian I know heads to the Whitsundays in winter, when it's the northern dry season to get away from the rain. I'd be surprised if the summer, cyclone and wet season, is the high season for domestic tourists.

I work as a travel agent in Melbourne and yes a stack of people want to go there. "Yeah I know it says it's cyclone season but what do you think"

"I think it's cyclone season"

"Well the odds aren't great so I'll go"

whatever guys

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
When calculating take-home salary, is there anything to look for other than income tax and the 1.5% Medicare levy (are there local/state taxes on income)? Obviously GST applies, but that's consumption-based.

Also, if anyone's ever done the studying for a graduate qualification in Australia -> migration thing, I'd love a PM. From my initial reading of the system it seems like a weird Catch-22 where an employer (Department of Education in this case) wants you to have the right to work in Australia before they'll give you a job offer, but you need a job offer to get a visa that gives you the right to work. I'm probably missing something obvious.

edit:

Okay, after some digging:

Under the Employer Sponsored Scheme (subclass 856), you need either 2 years of work experience in Australia, a salary above $250k, or qualifications assessed as equivalent + 3 years experience working overseas (not to mention a sponsoring employer). Geared more towards people who didn't undertake a qualification in Australia and are qualifying based on experience.

With the Skilled Independent [Residence] (subclass 885) visa, if you've completed an Australian qualification relevant to your nominated job (from the official skilled shortages list) requiring at least 2 years of study, and meet the points threshold (automatic for me given age/English ability and a two-year qualification done in Australia) you're qualified for permanent residence without a sponsor, right? The only eligibility criteria for the 885 that initially gave me pause was having your skills assessed as suitable for your nominated occupation, but I checked up on AITSL's website and it's basically involves paying them AUD$550 to verify that you have 1) a Bachelor's equivalent to an Australian degree, 2) a teaching qualification of at least one year equivalent to an Australian programme , 3) adequate English ability. (1 and 3 I have already, 2 I'd get automatically by doing a 2-year Master's in Australia). So basically: go to school in Australia for 2 years for a Master's in Secondary Ed, put in an Expression of Interest (from July 2012 onward) for Skilled Independent (Residence) visa, and assuming secondary school teacher is still on the list, get permanent residency/work rights.

Is it really that simple? From what I've been reading online it seems like a lot of people have trouble meeting the requirements for PR, am I just that lucky for being between 25-32 and a native English speaker (and doing a 2-year Master's in Australia in a field on the shortage list)?

Sharks Below posted:

Most cancerous sun damage is done before you hit your 20s. Most. I was 14 and fell asleep on the deck of our boat in Central Queensland, got burnt on my decolletage area, a month later had a for-real pre-cancerous mole cut out. It's loving brutal man.

:stare:

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 5, 2012

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pompous Rhombus posted:

When calculating take-home salary, is there anything to look for other than income tax and the 1.5% Medicare levy (are there local/state taxes on income)? Obviously GST applies, but that's consumption-based.

Depending on what your package is, superannuation. Some employers include it in your overall salary (i.e saying you'll be making $50k a year, but that's $45k salary + ~$5k super). Apart from that, no, only income tax is Federal.

The Duke of Avon
Apr 12, 2011

Does anyone know what types of ID are valid for buying alcohol? I have a passport and a New Zealand 18+ card, and I figure I probably can't use the card but I can't find any info online so I thought I'd try here. I just hate carrying my passport around with me (and I look about 12 so there's no way I wouldn't get asked for ID).

I'm glad I was reading over this thread before I went out, pretty sure the extra caution with sunscreen it gave me was the only reason I didn't get burned at all.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
^^ Passport will be fine

Helmacron posted:

I burnt so goddamn bad once, I blackened, peeled, then scabbed up, then peeled, then walked around with patches of tender skin for ages that looked like little albino windows into me.

I live in Brisbane, and the sun really is brutal here in Australia. I went to Japan and spent 8+ hours a day for weeks walking outside in the sun and it didn't touch me. If I spend 2 hours in the sun in Brisbane I'll burn to a crisp. Just a combination of being close to the equator and having a very thin ozone layer lets the UV rays in more unfiltered.

Lascivious Sloth fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 17, 2012

Atlas Moth
Jan 13, 2012

Eternally nonplussed.
^ Church.

I went for a short swim in the pool a couple of days ago and that was more than enough to leave a massive, painstakingly obvious goggle tan on my face for the rest of the day.

Atlas Moth fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jan 17, 2012

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I'm 26 years old, coming from the U.S. and been seriously thinking about getting a one year working holiday visa. So what I want to know: can anyone here talk about finding work outside of unskilled labor/service industry type jobs while on working holiday? Specifically looking at Sydney or Melbourne. Would temp agencies help for this type of search?

I'm asking about a professional office type environment since I have a finance background with a few years of experience. However I don't think I'd meet the requirements for a skilled worker visa. I could go either way with returning to the U.S. after the visa runs out, but I'd gladly entertain the potential of finding a company to sponsor citizenship after proving myself with a few months of work. Just sounded like there's a good amount of contract work out on the job sites, but I'm hoping to hear direct feedback on what to do/what not to do.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

It's very common for engagements to be contract based, e.g. for 6-12 months. For larger companies, they will usually only engage contractors through preferred suppliers as this minimizes paperwork/tax hassles for everyone. So if you get a contract at Megacorp A, you might technically be an employee of Recruitment Company B who will receive payment from Megacorp A, take their cut + usually handle your tax witholding and stuff too.

Anyway check out https://www.seek.com.au so you can get a feel for what is out there. Julia Ross and Robert Walters are two companies you should try get in touch with (call) for a quick chat about your situation (i.e. potential Recruitment Company B's/agencies from the above). If you're being hired as a contractor I don't think anyone will be too fussed about the type of your visa, as long as you are legit to work there and then.

Depending on the contract you could always ask to go full time/get sponsored once it is up. I would not raise this at the start though, I think it can be quite a lengthy/time consuming process so better to build a relationship first.

Mrs. Mahler
Mar 8, 2006
Why a duck?
I'm going to Australia in February and I'd really like to go scuba diving in Cairns. A lot of the diving company websites say that I'll be able to dive even if it is raining because it tends to be clearer out on the reefs. Has anyone done this/is it worth it or should I plan to go somewhere else?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

air- posted:

I'm 26 years old, coming from the U.S. and been seriously thinking about getting a one year working holiday visa. So what I want to know: can anyone here talk about finding work outside of unskilled labor/service industry type jobs while on working holiday? Specifically looking at Sydney or Melbourne. Would temp agencies help for this type of search?

I'm asking about a professional office type environment since I have a finance background with a few years of experience. However I don't think I'd meet the requirements for a skilled worker visa. I could go either way with returning to the U.S. after the visa runs out, but I'd gladly entertain the potential of finding a company to sponsor citizenship after proving myself with a few months of work. Just sounded like there's a good amount of contract work out on the job sites, but I'm hoping to hear direct feedback on what to do/what not to do.

You aren't actually being sponsored for citizenship, you're being sponsored for working/residence purposes. Naturalization is a separate process based on how many years (at least four, the last one of which was under a permanent residence visa) you've been in Australia on a valid visa.

unixbeard posted:

If you're being hired as a contractor I don't think anyone will be too fussed about the type of your visa, as long as you are legit to work there and then.

Working holiday visa holders are limited to six months (I'm pretty sure it's six months) at a single employer, so that could be an issue to some.

It's certainly not a bad idea to use a WHV as a foot in the door to an employer-sponsored visa, but obviously it's not a guarantee. If you can prove your qualification and/or work experience is equivalent to the relevant Australian accrediting body, you'll be in better shape.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jan 23, 2012

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Mrs. Mahler posted:

I'm going to Australia in February and I'd really like to go scuba diving in Cairns. A lot of the diving company websites say that I'll be able to dive even if it is raining because it tends to be clearer out on the reefs. Has anyone done this/is it worth it or should I plan to go somewhere else?

This is fine, one of the times I scuba dived on the reefs it was raining, why would you worry about it since you're going to be underwater anyways?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

HookShot posted:

This is fine, one of the times I scuba dived on the reefs it was raining, why would you worry about it since you're going to be underwater anyways?

I just dived the Reef last week in Cairns and it was raining. Whilst vis was down to 10-15m or so it was still great and warm.
That's the only problem with diving when it's raining - it's not the water it's the reduced visibility as the sun isn't out and a storm might be stirring up the water.

buzz wing wow
Aug 2, 2010
HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY

:australia:

Mucktron
Dec 21, 2005

"But I've been twelve for a very long time"
Just finished my 10 day trek through the bush and now I have a tan and a craving for coffee that comes in a box.

I'm going back to the states tomorrow, but I wanted to thank the goon who recommended me the wild life park in Adelaide. It was a fantastic way to kill time over there and your koalas are loving huge! (and huggible :3: )

You guys have a stunning country and I'll deffinetly come back in the future to see the rest of it!

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Mucktron posted:

Just finished my 10 day trek through the bush and now I have a tan and a craving for coffee that comes in a box.

I'm going back to the states tomorrow, but I wanted to thank the goon who recommended me the wild life park in Adelaide. It was a fantastic way to kill time over there and your koalas are loving huge! (and huggible :3: )

You guys have a stunning country and I'll deffinetly come back in the future to see the rest of it!

Hey, that was me, I think. Cleland? Glad you liked it :)

Also, when you get a chance, share some photos from your adventure. We want to see 'em!

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres
I'm going to be moving to Melbourne in April for two years. Where should I live?

I'm going for work, and my office will be in the CBD. I like short commutes, don't really want to get a car unless I have to, but want to live somewhere cool that isn't dead at nights or weekends.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Ani posted:

I'm going to be moving to Melbourne in April for two years. Where should I live?

I'm going for work, and my office will be in the CBD. I like short commutes, don't really want to get a car unless I have to, but want to live somewhere cool that isn't dead at nights or weekends.

Using the above criteria, look at Fitzroy, Northcote, Brunswick. They have plenty of apartments and places to live as well as some great restaurant/cafe/shopping strips (Brunswick St, High St, Sydney Rd respectively).

Melbourne is really easy to get around without a car - Trams and Trains are a really quick walk from nearly anywhere in the inner suburbs. There are also car share programs like flexicar and goget if you want a car from time to time.

I have also previously lived in East Melbourne - the residential area is quite dead, but its a 5-10 minute walk to the centre of the city.

Be sure to check out the Melbourne Goon Meet thread also - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3057894 - we're not scary at all, but we get together semi-often for drinks/trivia/movies/etc.

Pulling Teeth
Jan 13, 2008
My Cadillac got that bass

Ani posted:

Seconding Northcote, which is where I live. Consider suburbs like Fairfield, Clifton Hill and Thornbury too, the last of which is a little cheaper. Be aware though that the rental market in Melbourne is brutal, particularly in these inner north areas. I am not sure where you're from, but many overseas visitors get a nasty shock when it comes to rental prices, especially with the exchange rate the way it is. It certainly ticks your boxes for public transport and nightlife though.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

Pulling Teeth posted:

Seconding Northcote, which is where I live. Consider suburbs like Fairfield, Clifton Hill and Thornbury too, the last of which is a little cheaper. Be aware though that the rental market in Melbourne is brutal, particularly in these inner north areas. I am not sure where you're from, but many overseas visitors get a nasty shock when it comes to rental prices, especially with the exchange rate the way it is. It certainly ticks your boxes for public transport and nightlife though.
Cool. I currently live in New York, which has even higher prices than Melbourne (judging by the apartments I've seen online so far).

Is living in the CBD (the Hoddle grid? what do people call it?) itself a good idea? I really like the idea of a walking commute to work, but don't want to live somewhere that's going to be emptied out on the weekends.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
If you want your daily commute to be just walking consider West Melbourne or South Melbourne and the South Bank area. I live in West Melbourne which is right on the edge of the city, it takes me 10 minutes to walk to the city centre, I am close by to all the big supermarkets in the city, plenty of nice places to eat and go out and I get to see possums every night when I walk home past Flagstaff Gardens.

It's pretty neat plenty of places near by and it takes me 15 minutes to get to my work. I save a bunch of money I can spend on booze.

If I had to choose some where else I would probably choose South Melbourne side, a lot of newer and nicer apartments plus I think that side of the city is cooler to live on. You got Crown casino right next to you, Flinders Street station, lots of open parkland, the national gallary and arts centre, Fed Square and the yarra river.

r. bean
Apr 29, 2009
I know this is a long shot, but does anyone happen to know how Australian local governments manage the maintenance of their public facilities? I'm doing research into this and having trouble understanding the departments as Australia calls them. I know in the US it usually a Public Works Department or Facilities Department. I think in Australia it might be the Asset Management department. Anyone have any idea? Thanks!

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
As in the actual term used by councils for their maintenance departments? Because that will be different for pretty much every council.

r. bean
Apr 29, 2009
Is there a general term for the maintenance department? Does it usually fall under Public Works or a specific department like that?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Nah, it'll just be an internal HR/management name used at the council, not a set blanket term that's used by them all.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Ani posted:

Cool. I currently live in New York, which has even higher prices than Melbourne (judging by the apartments I've seen online so far).

Is living in the CBD (the Hoddle grid? what do people call it?) itself a good idea? I really like the idea of a walking commute to work, but don't want to live somewhere that's going to be emptied out on the weekends.

Definitely go with the places people have already mentioned (Brunswick/Fitzroy/Carlton/etc) the CBD does get dead on nights but is fairly busy on weekend nights. A short tram or bus or bike to work will still be quite easy, and they are some of the best areas in Melbourne to live IMO. Don't live in the outer suburbs then it takes ages to get to work (For instance I live in East Doncaster and if I wanted to get to a 9-5 job in the CBD I'd be leaving at around 7:30am each day and getting home at 6:30pm each day)

Stonelegs
Apr 15, 2003

I'll have a coke...
What kind of items are tough to get through customs that we might not expect? Would I get any hassle about a laptop or any other electronics? What about a bobble-dead doll of Satan?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I think they'll be fine. The only thing they get really anal about (other than illegal poo poo like drugs and guns) is unprocessed foods that might introduce diseases. They might ask you to turn on any electronic devices so they can be sure its actually a computer and not holing a bomb inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
When I came back from the States I was worried about my shoes because the little declaration form you fill out on the place mentions if you've been in nature areas/on farms and I'd been hiking so my shoes were a bit dirty/muddy, but they waved me straight on when the Customs quarantine people at the airport saw them. I was basically outside in a cab when I remembered that I had gone through with a bunch of spent .45 casings in the bottom of my bag from when I went to a gun range in Vegas. Your laptop will be fine.