Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.

wormil posted:

Can't do that because it slides into another pipe. I would have to have an entire new arm assembly fabricated and that would be cost prohibitive, I think.

Yeah, that makes sense. The other alternative would be to have a custom bracket fabricated to match the orientation of the pipe. The whole reason is I need to mount a flat board above it.

Would something like this (red) be easier to do? It would probably need to be 1/8" (minimum) steel or aluminum. I would need 4 of them, ~8" long. So the starting size would be roughly 8x8.5" before bending. Would it be expensive? Would I go to a machine shop or a welding shop?

Is the board wood? Is there much side load to it? Could you possibly make it out of wood yourself since it's only 30lbs?

Another idea is you could get a piece of flat bar and a torch and bend it to shape in a vice then drill holes to screw in the board. Would cost next to nothing, plus you could do it yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

SmokeyXIII posted:

Another idea is you could get a piece of flat bar and a torch and bend it to shape in a vice then drill holes to screw in the board. Would cost next to nothing, plus you could do it yourself.

This- I don't know the function of the part you're designing or how exact it all has to fit together, but the bracket you're talking about is dead-freakin-simple to knock out. Like without having done any blacksmithing or anything, you could still probably do a pretty good job of it in 10 minutes with a propane torch, a vise and a heavyish hammer.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

SmokeyXIII posted:

Is the board wood? Is there much side load to it? Could you possibly make it out of wood yourself since it's only 30lbs?

I made one from wood but it got bulky.

I'll consider making it myself. I don't have any metal working tools, no vice, no torch, no big hammer but it might be worth the investment. Pricing them online, mild rolled is cheaper than aluminum plate but Al would be easier to cut. After thinking about it, 1/8" is probably overkill especially for steel. The bar itself is only about 1/16". So 12 or 14 gauge might be adequate.

King of Gulps
Sep 4, 2003

Wormil: How about a few of these?

Z3n: I was in your shoes recently, and had to get up to speed pretty quickly. By far, the most useful reading material I found (and I evaluated a lot) was Machine Shop Trade Secrets, because what I really needed was context, so I could start to evaluate what I did and didn't know. It's a collection of tricks and specific situations that sort of shows a lot of different aspects of what you'll be doing. Also check out Victor Machinery for cheap-ish tooling and sometimes some weirder stuff.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

King of Gulps posted:

Wormil: How about a few of these?

Z3n: I was in your shoes recently, and had to get up to speed pretty quickly. By far, the most useful reading material I found (and I evaluated a lot) was Machine Shop Trade Secrets, because what I really needed was context, so I could start to evaluate what I did and didn't know. It's a collection of tricks and specific situations that sort of shows a lot of different aspects of what you'll be doing. Also check out Victor Machinery for cheap-ish tooling and sometimes some weirder stuff.
The v-block will bend and twist and crush and just generally be useless if you use it with steel anything. Spring for the $100 Hardened steel v-blocks. at least they're generally square.

E: saw an aluminum v-block and the :spergin: started before i read up a bit, sorry carry on.

Definitely. That's the hardest to learn part of machining. being able to cobble together a hosed up setup that works. Ask me about putting a vice up on a angle iron!

Samuel L. Hacksaw fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 14, 2012

King of Gulps
Sep 4, 2003

Haha, yeah. But still, even if you use them for their intended purpose instead of as a half-assed adapter, there's something to be said for cheap, sacrificial tools in the spirit of Harbor Freight.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Would a short piece of angle iron work as a bracket. You could bend out the top to make a winged -v- shape

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
Get three piece of angle iron, weld them together like so:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Sponge! posted:

Not Possible. :colbert:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Lord Gaga posted:

Get three piece of angle iron, weld them together like so:

Yeah, I have no welder or welding skills.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
I thought that might be the case, hence the angle iron idea. You could even use a couple of wooden wedges. I'm rubbish at diagrams but the green bit is angle iron, shaded is wood.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Woo went to my first class. 10 people underneath a railway arch in what looks like a homeless persons makeshift shed shelter with a suspiciously large amount of anvils. The lesson was very hands on- within 10 minutes we were bending a rod of mild steel into a spiral coaster. The teacher also made it very clear to us not to expect a career out of this. Great fun in all. I'll take some photos next week.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Metalworking tools: Woot!

Picked this up from a closed school shop for $150. It is in great shape for its age and being around high school kids. Oldschool 1hp 3ph 12" Disc Sander made by Delta/Rockwell.

Then I found this later that day for $250. ($2200 new) I am trying to setup a time to go look at it with the guy, no idea which one I am going to keep.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

the spyder posted:

Picked this up from a closed school shop for $150. It is in great shape for its age and being around high school kids. Oldschool 1hp 3ph 12" Disc Sander made by Delta/Rockwell.

Then I found this later that day for $250. ($2200 new) I am trying to setup a time to go look at it with the guy, no idea which one I am going to keep.

I'm a bigger fan of belt sanders than those disc sanders. That belt sander for $250 is a pretty good deal. I'm sort of jealous, except I already have a monster belt sander that has an 10" belt on it. :v:

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

the spyder posted:

That looks almost exactly like my sleazy rotary phase converter. Except I used an old alarm box.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

the spyder posted:

The eye protection sticker is hilarious.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!
This looks absurdly simple to do. I might try it.

http://books.google.com/books?id=FigDAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PP1&pg=PA92#v=onepage&q&f=true

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Sponge! posted:

This looks absurdly simple to do.

-every metalworker in the history of mankind, once.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Sponge! posted:

This looks absurdly simple to do. I might try it.

http://books.google.com/books?id=FigDAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PP1&pg=PA92#v=onepage&q&f=true

Speaking from experience from attempting exactly that, it isn't.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
Blacksmithing is testicals

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Antinumeric posted:

Speaking from experience from attempting exactly that, it isn't.

I've flattened and planished spoons before, and that's difficult enough. I hesitate to think how demanding the opposite process is.

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

Everyone likes pictures. Here are some pictures.

I started on the mill last week. The first project was a rectangle! The second project is also a rectangle, but with features!

This is where I make the rectangles!

This holds on to the rectangles!

jovial_cynic
Aug 19, 2005

Dongsmith posted:

Everyone likes pictures. Here are some pictures.

I started on the mill last week. The first project was a rectangle! The second project is also a rectangle, but with features!

This is where I make the rectangles!

This holds on to the rectangles!

Those are some beautiful rectangles.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I am so jealous of that table.

duck hunt
Dec 22, 2010
I'm getting married and this is my wedding ring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI2N6fsPjjg&feature=pyv&ad=9073092795&kw=kinekt%20gear%20ring

A fully functioning mechanical ring; perfect for a metal geek like me.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

duck hunt posted:

I'm getting married and this is my wedding ring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI2N6fsPjjg&feature=pyv&ad=9073092795&kw=kinekt%20gear%20ring

A fully functioning mechanical ring; perfect for a metal geek like me.

I am wearing that same ring right now. Make sure you get it a size larger as it is quite big. It also takes a while (ive been married 3 months and its still bugging me) to get used to how sharp it is on your fingers.

It makes a great conversation piece and its rediculously cheap too.

duck hunt
Dec 22, 2010
I measured my finger with my dial caliper (another metal geek thing to do) and converted in to metric to work with the sizing chart. The jewelry store said I wore a size 7 (arbirary units). So I ordered an 8. It really isn't clear if the sizing chart is for inner diameter or outer diameter. In the end it ran me 165 bucks shipped.

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

I'm ready for the zombie invasion, are you?
I have a somewhat hefty titanium ring from my wedding; I cannot get over the number of things I catch the damned thing in- I can't picture how much worse it would be with gears and non-smooth edges; even if that is a cool ring.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
I decided to try engraving something; I bought a couple gravers a while back but never did much with 'em.

It's a bit of tin, labelled as such (tin's alchemical symbol).

e: tin and pewter are awesome to work with but why does tin have to be so goddamn expensive :argh:

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008

That is simply not true.
That ring is so cool but knowing me I would get food stuck in it or who knows what else, not to mention my hairy fingers would get snagged in it all the time.

Well that's how I imagine it happening anyways. Still, freakin' cool.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
How can I transfer an image to metal? Tin/pewter in particular, just cause it's butter-soft and I feel like going graver-crazy. I don't mean like photoetching-level transfer, just a way of taking a simple silhouette or symbol and putting it on the workpiece. I was thinking of printing it out, soaking it with water and wheatpasting/gluing it to the prepped cleaned pewter and then just engraving straight through it, and then throwing it in pickle to eat the paper remnants away, but there's probably a less awkward method I don't know about.

e: Welp, of course I don't google enough beforehand. http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/photocopy_transfer_etch.htm seems pretty easy, but I don't know if it will work on tin (because it requires heating the piece with the overhead transparency pressed to it, and tin has such a ridiculously low melting temperature) and I'd probably acid-etch rather than grave copper because of the diminishing returns of manually graving vs. etching as the metal's hardness increases.

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 25, 2012

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Ambrose Burnside posted:

How can I transfer an image to metal? Tin/pewter in particular, just cause it's butter-soft and I feel like going graver-crazy. I don't mean like photoetching-level transfer, just a way of taking a simple silhouette or symbol and putting it on the workpiece. I was thinking of printing it out, soaking it with water and wheatpasting/gluing it to the prepped cleaned pewter and then just engraving straight through it, and then throwing it in pickle to eat the paper remnants away, but there's probably a less awkward method I don't know about.

e: Welp, of course I don't google enough beforehand. http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/photocopy_transfer_etch.htm seems pretty easy, but I don't know if it will work on tin (because it requires heating the piece with the overhead transparency pressed to it, and tin has such a ridiculously low melting temperature) and I'd probably acid-etch rather than grave copper because of the diminishing returns of manually graving vs. etching as the metal's hardness increases.

Laser print what you want, and IRON it on to the tin. The toner will melt and transfer with a hot dry iron.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Sponge! posted:

Laser print what you want, and IRON it on to the tin. The toner will melt and transfer with a hot dry iron.

I haven't had this work well at all for anything approaching fine detail. and when the toner does transfer, its incredibly fragile - like it'll fall off if you bump the piece hard.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
Just throwing this out as an idea. To make chalk lines stay put on tile, spray aqua net over the lines. It dries fast and washes off easy. I got nothing helpful for fine detail.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

rotor posted:

I haven't had this work well at all for anything approaching fine detail. and when the toner does transfer, its incredibly fragile - like it'll fall off if you bump the piece hard.

Huh, weird. It's a common technique for etching your own circuit boards, but that's on copper. I suppose other metals may not take the toner as well.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Just bought my first welder:

$2600 all in including gas for:

Miller Dynasty 200 Welder - 22 minutes on it, 40 arcs struck. Made in 2011, still has 4? years left on the warranty.
Foot pedal
2 torches, both air cooled, one larger and one smaller with flex heads plus an assortment of different size collets, cups, gas filters, etc.
Stick welding attachment
Autodarkening welding mask
half a dozen sets of gloves
A bunch of assorted tungstens
a bunch of assorted filler rods
Manual/registration card/etc
Regulator/hoses
15 pounds or so of assorted blocks of aluminum/steel/stainless to practice with

I think I did pretty well...just need to check the plug configuration, get an extension cord, and buy a bottle of argon and I'll be up and cooking. Still left to buy to get the garage fully outfitted: Bandsaw, Lathe, and belt sander.

Slowly but surely I'm getting there :D

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

If you rub a cloth lightly dampened with acetone over the back of a laser printed image it will transfer to the metal beneath it.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

What about just using a permanent marker to draw what you want to etch?

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPoT9ZfqUic

3 minutes or so in, teaching Trevor to weld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008

That is simply not true.

Bogatyr posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPoT9ZfqUic

3 minutes or so in, teaching Trevor to weld.

Oh my dear lord.

You know as I keep watching this it reminds me of my dad a lot.