Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

LastInLine posted:

:stare: 150MB of app space? I guess a2sd will never die.

That being said, really since going with a2sd (both DarkTremor and Simple2EXT) app storage just isn't an issue for me on the N1. It's completely transparent and has always just worked. I can't imagine why I'd bother with stock when it's so easy to just not have the problem.
If you want me to walk you through setting up a true a2sd solution I'd be happy to do it. Once you're rooted it's not difficult at all and storage just won't be a problem anymore.

If you could write this up for me I'd be grateful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cakefool posted:

If you could write this up for me I'd be grateful.
What device are you working with and are you running CM7?

Edit: Oh, I'm guessing you mean for the wife's Wildfire S.

Looking at that forum on xda it's tough to see what works and what doesn't but if you're running the CM7 build on there it should be as easy as partitioning the SD card in recovery and running S2E. If you want to stay with Sense things get complicated. Some are using Link2SD which seems spergy and overly complicated for what you want to do but dt-a2sd isn't really being supported anymore. On the other hand if you aren't flashing ROMs every day you only need to run dt-a2sd once and you're good to go.

As for a writeup, dt-a2sd is easy enough to do. Here are instructions I've written in the past. Adapting them to your situation should be as easy as just flashing the ROM you want rather than CM7.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jan 17, 2012

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Cojawfee posted:

It's every phone manufacturer.
Well, certainly not my SGS2, latest update too. If I set my phone to silent mode, both photo and video camera are completely silent. Thank God for that; I use it a lot to photograph the blackboard during Uni lectures.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thanks to the Goons who recommended Widget Locker-now I can finally control Spotify from my lock screen!

Hate how ugly the widget is though. And how clunky and ugly the app is. They really need to update it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

If you want me to walk you through setting up a true a2sd solution I'd be happy to do it. Once you're rooted it's not difficult at all and storage just won't be a problem anymore.

You helped me set this up on my N1. I much appreciate it.

However now that I've got like 150 apps installed, I'm now always bumping up against limited space in Data. :(

First World Problems.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
What exactly the a2sd problem many people apparently have, anyway? I've been shoving apps onto my SD card by the handful recently and none of them have stopped working because of it. Is this a manufacturer/device issue?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Cardiovorax posted:

What exactly the a2sd problem many people apparently have, anyway? I've been shoving apps onto my SD card by the handful recently and none of them have stopped working because of it. Is this a manufacturer/device issue?

Many apps can't be moved to the SD card with the native Android functionality.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

However now that I've got like 150 apps installed, I'm now always bumping up against limited space in Data. :(

First World Problems.
The solution to this would be to ensure you're using a sufficiently fast SD card and move the app data to SD. You could also repartition the internal storage with a custom HBOOT while you're at it. I haven't done either since a) my phone is very stable while ICS is not, b) I have no app storage problems , and c) how much longer could the wait for the Galaxy Nexus be but the option is there.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Thermopyle posted:

Many apps can't be moved to the SD card with the native Android functionality.

I thought with simlinking you could move anything?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Yes. But that's different from the native Android android functionality he was talking about (Settings:Applications:Manage Applications:Move to SD Card).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

You can but app data by default is located on the phone's internal storage. You can move app data to SD at the cost of performance however. You can also use Link2SD to manually move just some apps' data to SD but that's far more work than I'd be willing to do.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Penguissimo posted:

Yes. But that's different from the native Android android functionality he was talking about (Settings:Applications:Manage Applications:Move to SD Card).

Oh okay. I thought 'native' in this case meant 'without ROM fuckery', didn't think hard enough.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Yeah repartitioning the phone can be helpful. When I had a Desire, I used a partition table off this http://alpharev.nl/ which took me from /system =250MB /cache=40MB /data=147MB to /system=130MB /cache=5MB /data=302MB while using CM7, although that particular table appears to have been removed form the site. It gave me plenty of app space without needing to set up A2SD stuff.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Install Gentoo posted:

Yeah repartitioning the phone can be helpful. When I had a Desire, I used a partition table off this http://alpharev.nl/ which took me from /system =250MB /cache=40MB /data=147MB to /system=130MB /cache=5MB /data=302MB while using CM7, although that particular table appears to have been removed form the site. It gave me plenty of app space without needing to set up A2SD stuff.

How is 302mb plenty of app space? Repartitioning your phone's file system is a lot more risky and likely to brick something than flashing an app2sd solution.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

big mean giraffe posted:

How is 302mb plenty of app space? Repartitioning your phone's file system is a lot more risky and likely to brick something than flashing an app2sd solution.

It was for me, in conjunction with android-standard "move to SD". I was also never able to get A2SD working properly on my phone, but changing the partition table at the same time I upgraded from CM 6.1 to CM 7 was actually very easy.

I don't have the phone anymore,having gotten an Inspire for myself and passing the Desire down to my little brother, who's not had issues with it.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I'm trying to load an app on a device with no internet access. Previously it's been simple enough: put app on phone, back it up with TiBu, copy the backup to other device, restore with TiBu on that device. This time, though, file explorers can see the correct files in the TiBu folder on the device, but the app won't come up in TiBu. What the eff. Any suggestions?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

First World Problems.
This varies a bit per A2SD implementation but on my Desire (basically the same as an N1) I found I was still filling up data with the dalvik cache. There might be a shell command you can run to move the dalvik, I think it was something like "a2sd cache2sd".

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Is there an android app for a tablet like the transformer that is like powerpoint?

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

Is there an android app for a tablet like the transformer that is like powerpoint?

There are lots of apps that can open and edit office documents, although none of them will be great at creating powerpoint slides. OfficeSuite works for me, but I haven't tried to make a slideshow with it and got it free. Here's a list with a few more. In general, they'll be good for viewing, ok for editing text, and mostly unusable for creating things from scratch.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Tunga posted:

This varies a bit per A2SD implementation but on my Desire (basically the same as an N1) I found I was still filling up data with the dalvik cache. There might be a shell command you can run to move the dalvik, I think it was something like "a2sd cache2sd".

Yeah, I've already got dalvik moved via S2E. I haven't moved data yet because everything always says "don't move data because it's slow".

I wonder if the Class 6 SanDisk I'm using is fast enough...

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Thermopyle posted:

I haven't moved data yet because everything always says "don't move data because it's slow".
I run entire ROMs (/system and /data) off SD card and it's not an issue. Just make sure to use a quality SD card that has good random-access throughput rates.

In other words, a quality class 6 may beat a legitimate class 10, and will certainly beat counterfeit class 10s sold on eBay.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, I've already got dalvik moved via S2E. I haven't moved data yet because everything always says "don't move data because it's slow".

I wonder if the Class 6 SanDisk I'm using is fast enough...
SanDisks generally perform above spec. I'd bet EB is right and it works well enough.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've used WidgetLocker for quite some time, and today decided to see how it works with a PIN lock. Unlocking is fine, but now whenever I hit the button to lock the screen, it turns off, then within a few seconds turns back on, and stays on for the length I have set in Android for the screen timeout (unless I hit the lock button again). Why is this happening?

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Has anyone tried the Cyanogenmod 9 music player? I haven't been able to install it yet, but it looks pretty ballin. It's just a shame google haven't released the API for google music yet.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

sharktamer posted:

Has anyone tried the Cyanogenmod 9 music player? I haven't been able to install it yet, but it looks pretty ballin. It's just a shame google haven't released the API for google music yet.

I want to try it but I get a parsing error every time I try to install it on my SGSIIE4GT.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Question, do I have to wipe when upgrading to new versions of CM? Does TiBkup work for everything when just upgrading?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Lprsti99 posted:

Question, do I have to wipe when upgrading to new versions of CM? Does TiBkup work for everything when just upgrading?
When doing nightlies, I wipe cache and Dalvik although it's not necessary. Now if you're going across versions (i.e. CM7 to CM9) yeah, you have to wipe data.

You shouldn't need to do anything with Titanium unless you had to do a full wipe.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

sharktamer posted:

It's pretty fantastic, even coming from Ubermusic. It's leaps and bounds better than the default app and I'm really looking forward to where they take it.

For those you can't get it working remember you need ICS and need to uninstall the default app too.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Mega Comrade posted:

It's pretty fantastic, even coming from Ubermusic. It's leaps and bounds better than the default app and I'm really looking forward to where they take it.

For those you can't get it working remember you need ICS and need to uninstall the default app too.

I'm using MIUI v4, I've uninstalled the default app, but I still can't get it to work.

It says that it's replacing a system application when I try, even though the music app is gone.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Mega Comrade posted:

The download page didn't say that anywhere :(

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Mega Comrade posted:

Also keep in mind it doesn't work with Google Music, it's only a local media player. That alone will keep me on Google's Music app, oh well. It's not CM's fault, Google hasn't released an API for third parties to use Google Music.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

sharktamer posted:

I'm using MIUI v4, I've uninstalled the default app, but I still can't get it to work.

It says that it's replacing a system application when I try, even though the music app is gone.

MIUI isn't ICS.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I am probably missing something staring me straight in the face, but the newest version of Pure Calendar widget (agenda) says it added a holo theme for honeycomb/ICS in the options, but I can't find it on my galaxy nexus.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Also keep in mind it doesn't work with Google Music, it's only a local media player. That alone will keep me on Google's Music app, oh well. It's not CM's fault, Google hasn't released an API for third parties to use Google Music.

This. If I'm not listening to Pandora, I'm using Google Music. Yeah, I know there are tons of better music players, but the convenience of having all my music available (with none of it actually being on my phone) outweighs the added perks. I really hope that Google releases the API. Soon, at that.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
Anyone know the syntax for accessing an offline page on the ICS browser? In opera I can put file://xxx.html but that doesn't work in the standard browser.

sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.

THF13 posted:

I am probably missing something staring me straight in the face, but the newest version of Pure Calendar widget (agenda) says it added a holo theme for honeycomb/ICS in the options, but I can't find it on my galaxy nexus.
This threw me at first too. I think he meant the options page itself got a Holo theme, not that the update added a holo skin for the widget.

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005

THF13 posted:

I'm using a skin called Ice Cream on my Galaxy Nexus and its very similarly themed to the GMail widget.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

big mean giraffe posted:

MIUI isn't ICS.

MIUI v4 is.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Anyone using Circle Launcher: is there a way for me to put a shortcut on my app circle? I want my Awful app to open directly to the UCP, which they have a shortcut for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

sharktamer posted:

MIUI v4 is.

Last I checked it was a weird hybrid that was still mostly GB, is it fully ICS now? It was also only available for the Nexus S then too.

• Locked thread