Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

LumberingTroll posted:

is windex better to use than water/alcohol 8:1 ?
For airbrushing I mean, I got a Badger Velocity Renegade, but still haven't used it yet...

It's certainly easier and likely less expensive than buying distilled water and 80-90% isopropyl. The blue color doesn't change the color of the paint, if you're worried about that, and it can be used for other hobby applications as well, so it's a multitasker.

dexefiend posted:

Edit: After trying to thin with water, windex, flow improver, and combinations of the above, I still had trouble getting a hairline stream. It went from 0 to 1/4 inch as soon as it started flowing.

What PSI is your compressor running at? If you want a hairline stream, you're gonna want to knock the PSI down to 4-5 PSI, maybe even lower depending on your airbrush. Additionally, metal flakes do cause significant more build-up than other paints do, so clean your needle often (a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol/Windex works a charm). Lastly, some airbrushes have finer needles/apertures, so check the needle's spacing before you put any paint in it; if you can, adjust the needle so that it produces the aperture you need--fiddle around with it for a bit, as all airbrushes are different. To make it easier, test it out with some water first and spray onto some paper. Generally what you see will be smaller with paint thanks to a higher viscosity, so keep that in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Some scratch-built ships for a homebrew spaceship game that I'm designing. These are all built from 40k bits, a couple film canisters, and parts from the Pegasus Chemical Plant kit. I'm pretty happy with them so far :)

Left to right: Medium missileboat/carrier with magnetized fighters attached, a battlecruiser, and a light cruiser. In the middle is one of my little fighters.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

The prototype is reminiscent of Warmachine in that there are damage grids, and you roll to hit a Maneuver value then roll damage vs the opponent's armor (not that those concepts are unique to Privateer Press games). There will be commanders or other characters that can be stationed on ships, and can issue special commands. It uses d10's, and there is a system in place to divert power from/to various systems on the capital ships. So if you want the shields to be stronger, you can take some power from the engines. It's a classic sci-fi trope.

Hopefully it won't suck! :)

Holy poo poo, now I totally want to make my own scratchbuilt starships. Please post more information about it and let me know if you need a playtester!

malal posted:

I have a soft spot for space combat games, my introduction to chit wargaming was the first edition of Starfleet Battles. Make sure you link us to your rules whenever you get it up and going! (oh, and your fleet rules!)

Welp, I finished the stupid Great Gargant. How big? This big.

Needs more dakka. (That's so loving awesome.)

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Crappy cellphone picture because I forgot to bring my camera to the store:

But there they are! So glad to be done.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

Are there any tutorials for painting a visored helmet as transparent? I've got some visored and unvisored pig iron heads that I wanna use to make a few shotgun scouts look like Doomguy/UAC marines. Is there an easy way to do this, or am I better off just using the unvisored head and finding some transparent plastic to go over it?

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
Be lazy, paint it blue/black/red/whatever like a giant eldar gem or a marine eye lens. It's never going to look totally right because you're trying to paint a reflection that changes based upon angle, but that will portray the right impression. And the idea of trying to make a tiny plastic visor of the perfect size, gluing it in perfectly the first time so you don't frost it up slopping around, and then praying you don't slop paint on your tiny, perfectly sized plastic visor (or alternatively, painting the rest of your manbarbie first and hoping you don't get glue on your paintjob) makes me :shepface: But gently caress it, if you think you can do it give it a try.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

uncle jimbo posted:

It's never going to look totally right because you're trying to paint a reflection that changes based upon angle
That's why I keep the brush-on gloss varnish.

Adrian Finol
Sep 5, 2004
Halp!

I need some ideas on how to weight this thing down properly. Put a couple of weights under the rock where his right foot rest but its not working properly.

He's made out of metal and that banner keeps tipping him over. As much as I like that it fits his theme of Hobo with a Shotgun, I would prefer for him to hold himself up.

If all fails I'll just not have him over the rock and be done.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

uncle jimbo posted:

Be lazy, paint it blue/black/red/whatever like a giant eldar gem or a marine eye lens. It's never going to look totally right because you're trying to paint a reflection that changes based upon angle, but that will portray the right impression. And the idea of trying to make a tiny plastic visor of the perfect size, gluing it in perfectly the first time so you don't frost it up slopping around, and then praying you don't slop paint on your tiny, perfectly sized plastic visor (or alternatively, painting the rest of your manbarbie first and hoping you don't get glue on your paintjob) makes me :shepface: But gently caress it, if you think you can do it give it a try.

Makes sense, I can see how it would be far more trouble than its worth to make it look transparent. Interestingly, I found a Blood Angels head that just happens to look exactly like Doomguy without his helmet, it would probably make more stylistic and practical sense to use this bare head and have the visored helmet on his belt or something, and do another scout (or two) with just the visored helmet.

I wish Reaper still made those Doom miniatures from several years back, those were pretty cool.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Adrian Finol posted:

Halp!

I need some ideas on how to weight this thing down properly. Put a couple of weights under the rock where his right foot rest but its not working properly.

He's made out of metal and that banner keeps tipping him over. As much as I like that it fits his theme of Hobo with a Shotgun, I would prefer for him to hold himself up.

If all fails I'll just not have him over the rock and be done.

Are you using the slot on the base? It doesn't look like it. If you're not and are going to cut the tab off the bottom, use a non-slotted 25mm base and glue a nickel to the bottom. It might not be quite enough to compensate for the banner at that angle, but it'll go a decent way toward it.

Adrian Finol
Sep 5, 2004

Fix posted:

Are you using the slot on the base? It doesn't look like it. If you're not and are going to cut the tab off the bottom, use a non-slotted 25mm base and glue a nickel to the bottom. It might not be quite enough to compensate for the banner at that angle, but it'll go a decent way toward it.

Its a resin base from Dragon Forge so full solid on the bottom. Already made holes to fit the weights so I can make more to add a nickel.

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti
http://www.amazon.com/IWATA-HP-C-High-Performance-AIRBRUSH-COMPRESSOR/dp/B001BO84UC/ref=sr_1_53?ie=UTF8&qid=1326867170&sr=8-53

does this look like a good buy for a first airbrush?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Looks pretty good to me; dual action, gravity fed, internal mixture on the airbrush and moisture-trap, variable PSI configuration on the compressor with an auto-shut-off feature. Price is good to move as well. Make sure that when you get this, throw in a set of those nylon cleaning brushes they show, and the cleaning station if you feel like it (I personally love mine).

EDIT: Oh how lovely, you can throw all three of those things into the cart at once! :v:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Adrian Finol posted:

Its a resin base from Dragon Forge so full solid on the bottom. Already made holes to fit the weights so I can make more to add a nickel.

Oh, er, uh... that'd be a big hole. Not much would be left of the base.

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti
Ha, thanks. Ill do that. Im looking forward to getting one and firing it up. Maybe it will motivate me to paint my nids at last.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Drumstick posted:

Ha, thanks. Ill do that. Im looking forward to getting one and firing it up. Maybe it will motivate me to paint my nids at last.

You'll love this for nids, honestly. Basecoat your whole army in about 20 minutes, do some highlights in about 20 more.

If you want to get real simple about it, do the following: prime, basecoat, highlight, wash, base, done :dealwithit:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
A mate came over today and I picked up paint and brush for the first time in 7 months. He also brought his dual-action airbrush and compressor over for me to have a play with for the first time.

:stare:

Where has this been all my life? Did up a few layers on a Russ hull I had lying around and it's easily the best looking tank I've done. Had one problem, I put a drop of Windex in with some Leviathan Purple and water to shade the model, and white lines have appeared in some of the recesses where the wash has dried. What causes this? Too much Windex? Will going in there with a thin brush and hitting it with some thinner Leviathan knock them out?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

adamantium|wang posted:

A mate came over today and I picked up paint and brush for the first time in 7 months. He also brought his dual-action airbrush and compressor over for me to have a play with for the first time.

:stare:

Where has this been all my life? Did up a few layers on a Russ hull I had lying around and it's easily the best looking tank I've done. Had one problem, I put a drop of Windex in with some Leviathan Purple and water to shade the model, and white lines have appeared in some of the recesses where the wash has dried. What causes this? Too much Windex? Will going in there with a thin brush and hitting it with some thinner Leviathan knock them out?

The washes are thin enough that you don't need to thin them any further to run them through an airbrush. They don't act like washes though when you do this, more like tints (which can be awesome and useful in their own right). If you want them to flow, you'll need to use straight Windex OR a combination of matte medium, flo-aid and drying retarder (the exact amounts vary according to taste). But yeah, you can hit the areas again with a brush to fix that poo poo up, no prob.

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti
Full of questions today it seems. If i wanted to use gun metal metallic can I add a drop of blue ink to give it a blue hue?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Drumstick posted:

Full of questions today it seems. If i wanted to use gun metal metallic can I add a drop of blue ink to give it a blue hue?

Yes, if you want it to be evenly blue throughout. You might also try painting gun metal and then washing with blue ink to give a more subtle blue shadow in the recesses.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

And I'm full of answers, and this time I actually know what I'm talking about! :v:

To answer, yes, you can add blue ink to metallic paint and get it to a blue tint: you do need to be careful though, as a little ink goes a very, very long way. It might be easier to put a drop of ink on a palette first, then mix it into your paint little by little.
Personally, I use a plastic toothpick that I've flattened out a bit to mix directly in the hopper.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

malal posted:

That's awesome! Looks incredibly good.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Sole.Sushi posted:

Personally, I use a plastic toothpick that I've flattened out a bit to mix directly in the hopper.

Tattooist ink caps are what you want for mixing small batches of colour to airbrush.

SatelliteCore
Oct 16, 2008

needa get dat cake up

Adrian Finol posted:

From the thumbnail this looked like a bird with a hat on. I was happy.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

crime fighting hog posted:

This is the Game Shoppe in Bellevue Nebraska...

Who are you stranger?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
And how far is Bellevue from Lincoln?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

SatelliteCore posted:

From the thumbnail this looked like a bird with a hat on. I was happy.

It still looks like that to me, even after looking at the real picture. :ohdear:

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Beerdeer posted:

And how far is Bellevue from Lincoln?

45 minutes.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Hip-hop-o-pot-o-mus posted:

Who are you stranger?

I've been found, uh oh.

I'm there all the time, friends of mine work there, etc. When do you normally stop in?

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

I've been found, uh oh.

I'm there all the time, friends of mine work there, etc. When do you normally stop in?

Warmachine Tuesday and Saturday.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Warmachine Tuesday and Saturday.

So you probably know Adam, the pressganger? He's my old roommate. We've probably met before and just not known it.

Goons everywhere!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Nebraskagoons assemble!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Who are you stranger?

Who the gently caress are you? I work there.

e: Ghetto you're in Nebraska too?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Lincoln, we've talked about this before :v:

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti
Where do I get inks? Or more specifically what brand/type?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Drumstick posted:

Where do I get inks? Or more specifically what brand/type?

You want acrylic artist inks, which you can find at art supply stores or craft stores like Michaels. Liquitex, Daler-Rowney, and Windsor & Newton are all good brands.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Nebraska smells, South Dakota is better :colbert:

There is a group of your Omaha brethren coming up to my shop this weekend.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

malal posted:

I have a soft spot for space combat games, my introduction to chit wargaming was the first edition of Starfleet Battles. Make sure you link us to your rules whenever you get it up and going! (oh, and your fleet rules!)

This is just stunning. Congratulations!

Seconding the love for the space combat rules, they sounded pretty cool.

Love these ships! Really cool display :)

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

LumberingTroll posted:

Nebraska smells, South Dakota is better :colbert:

Sorry, I can't hear you over the howling gale that blankets the giant windswept heath that is your state, drowning out the cries for warmth and attention from an uncaring sun. Nothing piling upon nothing, forever.

I kid, I kid.

Sioux Falls or Rapid City? What's your scene like?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Nebraska expatriate living in Vermont, checking in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Flyover states ITT. :iceburn:

• Locked thread