Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TACD
Oct 27, 2000

status posted:

I thought it was a hardware issue about a year ago, so I replaced my home button. The problem returned though. :(
You replaced the home button on its own?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

TACD posted:

You replaced the home button on its own?

Yeah, you can buy them cheap online. Takes a while to take the entire goddamn phone apart though.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Xenomorph posted:

iBooks fix is now available for the 5.0.1 untether.

Install/update Corona in Cydia (even if you used redsn0w to untether).

Video posted showing the untether on a 4S:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDBHXbwgdc4

OK, apparently the iBooks "fix" is just a similar hack from how it worked with 4.3.x. iBooks opens, but books with DRM are loaded incorrectly, and you get corrupted graphics. So don't expect any of your purchased content with graphics to work. Not a huge deal, as most books are probably just text.

The last time iBooks fully worked right (DRM and all) was with iOS 4.2.1.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
I always chalk the home button acting up to various apps that just must suck when it comes to memory usage. The recent Sqauresoft games (Final Fantasy Tactics, Chrono Trigger) were the worst offenders for me. Close them, kill the app, and things go back to normal. Open them, play, and things will be normal for a while, but eventually the home button will start acting up again. I've seen it with a few of the bigger EA apps as well.

This all happened on an iPhone 4, running 5.0 tethered. I haven't tried to repeat the problem since upgrading to 5.0.1 untethered.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I'm about to head out and go get an iPhone 4s.

Primarily, the reason I'm rushing, sort of, is because I want to be able to use it as a mobile hotspot (with a jailbreak), eventually. This won't be possible any time soon if the iPhone I buy has 5.0.2 or 5.1 or whatever on it, I would think.

I do have some hesitation regarding getting a 4S since I suppose an iPhone 5 could be announced at any time. So I'm trying to take that into consideration, balanced against the fact that the iPhone 5 would probably have an unjailbreakable (or at least not any time soon) iOS on it.

Pros? Cons? Do it? Stay home? :)

Thanks.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Chinook posted:

Primarily, the reason I'm rushing, sort of, is because I want to be able to use it as a mobile hotspot (with a jailbreak), eventually. This won't be possible any time soon if the iPhone I buy has 5.0.2 or 5.1 or whatever on it, I would think.

I do have some hesitation regarding getting a 4S since I suppose an iPhone 5 could be announced at any time. So I'm trying to take that into consideration, balanced against the fact that the iPhone 5 would probably have an unjailbreakable (or at least not any time soon) iOS on it.

Thanks.

an iPhone 5 wouldn't be announced until much later this year. buy what you need now.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Chinook posted:

Thanks.

You don't need to jailbreak to use it as a hotspot. Even people who own iPhone seems to think that however.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Sistergodiva posted:

You don't need to jailbreak to use it as a hotspot. Even people who own iPhone seems to think that however.

How do you use an iphone as a mobile hotspot without paying extra on your account and losing your grandfathered unlimited data access?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Sistergodiva posted:

Oh poo poo, really? I just figured that since Verizon wants to charge $40 a month for that, there wouldn't be a simple, Apple approved app that would allow me to use it as a mobile hotspot without incurring an additional fee.

jack.
Sep 1, 2001

Chinook posted:

Oh poo poo, really? I just figured that since Verizon wants to charge $40 a month for that, there wouldn't be a simple, Apple approved app that would allow me to use it as a mobile hotspot without incurring an additional fee.

It's either jailbreak or pay your carrier's tethering fee.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Really? Here in Sweden you csn just do it by default and I'm using one of the largest operators here. Oh well, is it disabled in the software? In that case how does it work when you buy a phone standalone and get a operator after?

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
Jeez, American carriers are rather poo poo for tethering. Even the horrible awful worst company in the world Rogers allows tethering for free with >1GB data plans.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Sistergodiva posted:

Really? Here in Sweden you csn just do it by default and I'm using one of the largest operators here. Oh well, is it disabled in the software? In that case how does it work when you buy a phone standalone and get a operator after?

The phone itself and whether or not it's locked/unsubsidised/whatever doesn't matter. Just the SIM you're using.

The carrier profile determines whether or not the option is displayed, and for those carriers with specific plan requirements (such as the American carriers wanting ridiculous amounts of money or Rogers in Canada not allowing it on a 500MB plan) it will usually phone home first and make sure it's allowed to. Otherwise you'll get a "To enable tethering, call AT&T" (or whoever) message.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I just picked up an iPhone 4S. What are some dos and don'ts that I should keep in mind?

It's at 5.0.1, so I'm good there. Obviously I won't upgrade it if 5.0.2 or 5.1 come out. I picked up a SquareTrade warranty.

It's not possible to do the TinyUmbrella thing, yet, right? Until I can jailbreak it. I know i'll do that ASAP after Jailbreaking.

Should I back it up through iTunes? Should I not register it through iTunes for any reason?

Mainly I'm looking to make sure this thing is perma-jailbreakable, and I don't want to gently caress that up somehow.

Thanks!

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

frumpsnake posted:

The phone itself and whether or not it's locked/unsubsidised/whatever doesn't matter. Just the SIM you're using.

The carrier profile determines whether or not the option is displayed, and for those carriers with specific plan requirements (such as the American carriers wanting ridiculous amounts of money or Rogers in Canada not allowing it on a 500MB plan) it will usually phone home first and make sure it's allowed to. Otherwise you'll get a "To enable tethering, call AT&T" (or whoever) message.

Yeah when I travel and switch SIM cards I do enjoy seeing much more settings open to me with my Vodafone sim versus the ATT sim.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Chinook posted:

I just picked up an iPhone 4S. What are some dos and don'ts that I should keep in mind?

It's at 5.0.1, so I'm good there. Obviously I won't upgrade it if 5.0.2 or 5.1 come out. I picked up a SquareTrade warranty.

It's not possible to do the TinyUmbrella thing, yet, right? Until I can jailbreak it. I know i'll do that ASAP after Jailbreaking.

Should I back it up through iTunes? Should I not register it through iTunes for any reason?

Mainly I'm looking to make sure this thing is perma-jailbreakable, and I don't want to gently caress that up somehow.

Thanks!

Back up your SHSH now with TinyUmbrella, just in case. That isn't related to jailbreaking (it's only for installing firmware that isn't being signed, even if you have no intention of ever jailbreaking), so you don't need to be jailbroken to back up SHSH.

Also, if you have 5.0.1 9A405 installed, I would go ahead and update to 5.0.1 9A406. I noticed a few times that my 4S would display "Searching..." when I went to use it. It rarely happened, but I noticed that was on the list of fixes for the 9A406 notes:
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4148

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Xenomorph posted:

Back up your SHSH now with TinyUmbrella, just in case. That isn't related to jailbreaking (it's only for installing firmware that isn't being signed, even if you have no intention of ever jailbreaking), so you don't need to be jailbroken to back up SHSH.

Thanks. I opened Tiny Umbrella, though, and got a bunch of these:

"READ THIS NOW:
"Request SHSH From Cyndia" is currently set.
This can cause issues if you are trying to save
current SHSHs as Cydia is no longer able to reliably proxy SHSH requests.
Please change your settings in the 'Advanced' tab and click the 'Apply Changes' button
or use the 'Edit' menu to apply changes."

Also this:
You currently have "Set Hosts to Cydia ohn Exist" set. if you are having issues restoring, you need to uncheck the box and 'Apply Changes'.
BE WARNED! If you restore stock apple firmware, your baseband can and like will be updated!

And finally, the extremely helpful:
Cannot Start TSS Service
DO NOT TRY RESTORING YOUR DEVICE!!!
System(PID:4) must be killed!!

I don't know what's going on. Cydia? Isn't that a jailbreak program? I just want to back this thing up now, if it's possible, but these warning messages are weird.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

jack. posted:

It's either jailbreak or pay your carrier's tethering fee...
... And lose any grandfathered unlimited data plan. That matters more to me than the cost.

status posted:

Jeez, American carriers are rather poo poo for tethering. Even the horrible awful worst company in the world Rogers allows tethering for free with >1GB data plans.
Unlimited data available? How much? How much for the other plans?

What's all this talk about saving SHSH for 5.x? I thought that 5.x didn't have SHSH and tiny umbrella was 4.x and under only? Has this changed?

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

randyest posted:

Unlimited data available? How much? How much for the other plans?

I have 6GB with Rogers for $30/mo, plus the cheapest lovely voice plan for whatever the hell it is I pay. It ends up about $75/month.

If my iPhone would work on Mobilicity I could get an unlimited plan for $36/mo on a 1 year contract. If only...

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
iPod Touch 4g, Firmware version 4.3.3. Went to jailbreakme.com, jailbreaking the thing was quick and painless. Have Cydia sitting there on the iPod, everything looks like it's working well.

The reason I jailbroke the thing is that when I plug the iPod into my cigarette-lighter-mounted dock in my car, the font for the artist/song/album is too damned small to read. So I want to enlarge that font. I don't care about changing it to a different font, I don't care about any of the other fonts in any other application; I don't mind having the ability to mess with them as well, but it's not a requirement. But I absolutely need an app or extension that will let me enlarge that particular font in that particular location.

Can anyone recommend something that will let me do this?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Anyone update iBooks to 2.0 to see if it works? I am not going to lose it again.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Djarum posted:

Anyone update iBooks to 2.0 to see if it works? I am not going to lose it again.

It seems to work the same. Books and text load. Images still corrupted.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

I wanna give another plug for IntelliscreenX. I've been using it for a few days now and it's become the only thing I interact with on my phone 90% of the time. Well worth the $10.

Ruprecht
Jul 8, 2006

I decided to sleep in the car so my snoring wouldn't bother you, but I left that recording of my snoring so you wouldn't know I'm gone.
A few pages ago, there was advice to update any to-be-jailbroken devices to 5.0.1 in anticipation of pod2g's A5 jailbreak. But the context was iPhone 4S.

What about iPad 2s? I'm running jailbroken 4.3.3 on the iPad 2. Should I go stock 5.0.1 until the A5 jailbreak on this device too?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Update everything you're interested in jailbreaking to 5.0.1 -- if you're sitting on a jailbreak and don't want to lose it, you can hold off, but if Apple pushes out 5.1, which is in developer beta right now, before someone releases an A5 jailbreak, you'll need to update to 5.0.1 like right away--they'll keep signing the previous firmware for a day or so--before Apple stop signing it.

maduin fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jan 20, 2012

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy
Can't you just use iFaith to grab all of your 5.0.1 blobs and stay on 4.3.3?

Ruprecht
Jul 8, 2006

I decided to sleep in the car so my snoring wouldn't bother you, but I left that recording of my snoring so you wouldn't know I'm gone.
Went stock 5.0.1 on the iPad 2. The only thing I miss is RetinaPad. Tweetbot is fuckin useless on the iPad now.

Is there some intelligent reason this isn't native to iOS?

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Na'at posted:

Can't you just use iFaith to grab all of your 5.0.1 blobs and stay on 4.3.3?

Aren't blobs useless for 5.0+ versions?

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...
One thing of note for A5 peeps: If you managed to 'upgrade' to the newer 5.0.1 version, MuscleNerd is recommending you downgrade to 5.0.1 (9A405), but is also saying the JB will work with 5.0.1 (9A406).

I'll be throwing the older 5.0.1 on my phone to be safe.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

NerdsMcGee posted:

One thing of note for A5 peeps: If you managed to 'upgrade' to the newer 5.0.1 version, MuscleNerd is recommending you downgrade to 5.0.1 (9A405), but is also saying the JB will work with 5.0.1 (9A406).

I'll be throwing the older 5.0.1 on my phone to be safe.

This doesn't apply to iPad 2 users, your 5.0.1 update is fine.

Also, the news released in the last hour on the dev-team website is very exciting. The jailbreak is done, bug-clearing work on the public releases being done now.

My, probably wrong, guess is within 48 hours.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jan 20, 2012

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

Funso Banjo posted:

Aren't blobs useless for 5.0+ versions?

Yeah but iFaith will save your APTicket also. If it were my iPad, I'd save my blobs, update to 5.0.1, save again then restore to 4.3.3 and re-jailbreak. It's a pain in the rear end but at least I'd keep the 4.3.3 JB and be ready for the 5.0.1 JB when ever it does come out.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Ruprecht posted:

Went stock 5.0.1 on the iPad 2. The only thing I miss is RetinaPad. Tweetbot is fuckin useless on the iPad now.

Is there some intelligent reason this isn't native to iOS?

If you're asking why iphone native apps look like poo poo on the iPad, it's because developers want to double-dip on all app owners with HD versions of their apps.

Crossbar
Jun 16, 2002
Chronic Lurker
Sounds like the A5 jailbreak is going to be out sometime today.

http://pod2g-ios.blogspot.com/ posted:

I know the wait was long, too much long, but it's about to end! You'd be able to free your iPhone in some hours.

A tool named Absinthe and developped by the Chronic Dev Team will install the untether on your device. Also the iPhone Dev Team will release a CLI (command line) tool to help diagnose issues and repair things if it goes wrong.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Finally. I upgraded my phone to the earlier 5.0.1. Can't wait.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Funso Banjo posted:

My, probably wrong, guess is within 48 hours.

Sunday Funday.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Cool, just in time for 5.1 to be released and fix/add a hundred things to the 4S.

Cacahuate
Feb 21, 2007
OMG! (•_•) You are a peanut!

Phanatic posted:

iPod Touch 4g, Firmware version 4.3.3. Went to jailbreakme.com, jailbreaking the thing was quick and painless. Have Cydia sitting there on the iPod, everything looks like it's working well.

The reason I jailbroke the thing is that when I plug the iPod into my cigarette-lighter-mounted dock in my car, the font for the artist/song/album is too damned small to read. So I want to enlarge that font. I don't care about changing it to a different font, I don't care about any of the other fonts in any other application; I don't mind having the ability to mess with them as well, but it's not a requirement. But I absolutely need an app or extension that will let me enlarge that particular font in that particular location.

Can anyone recommend something that will let me do this?

I had this same problem and found a sort of solution. I bought CarTunes which is an awesome music app to use while driving, since it has bigger (not super big, but bigger than the default music app) fonts, and used Activator to launch a menu asking me if I want to launch CarTunes or Instacat every time I connect my phone to a power source. It's been a fantastic solution for me, it's perfect. See if this works for you.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I never upgraded from 5.0.0, so hopefully the jailbreak will work for me, and I didn't miss my window. I would weep.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

A5 Jailbreak just dropped for OSX.

quote:

p0sixninja posted:

OSX version of A5 jailbreak posted on greenpois0n.com

Windows version coming soon

EconOutlines fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Aggro posted:

I never upgraded from 5.0.0, so hopefully the jailbreak will work for me, and I didn't miss my window. I would weep.

Unless you're waiting for an unlock, I'd go for the latest build of iOS 5.0.1 you can get.

Edit:
I donated $10 earlier today to the Dev Team working on this. I recommend others do the same. That poo poo be crazy what they do, so they deserve more love.

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 20, 2012

• Locked thread