Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I'm writing a novel about a dancer who receives a worsening leg wound that won't heal, but she hides it in order to advance professionally. Assuming she massaged/iced/cleaned it everyday, starting from something minor like a sprain, and assuming that it won't heal at all or very, very slowly, how would an injury like that progress over time based on heavy use of the limb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

change my name posted:

I'm writing a novel about a dancer who receives a worsening leg wound that won't heal, but she hides it in order to advance professionally. Assuming she massaged/iced/cleaned it everyday, starting from something minor like a sprain, and assuming that it won't heal at all or very, very slowly, how would an injury like that progress over time based on heavy use of the limb?
Not a medical expert, but a sprain is basically the ligament being over-stretched. If you kept putting pressure on it without letting it heal it would get weaker and weaker until it eventually snapped. If you've got a muscular tear in say, your ankle, it's impossible to even walk though, let alone dance. Can't "force yourself through the pain or anything", your foot doesn't work anymore.

In terms of development of symptoms, it would swell up like a motherfucker and just hurt more and more until the point where it snapped.

My guess, anyway. From a story perspective it would be difficult to frame it in "stages". I would definitely go with a wound rather than a muscular/joint injury for a story, because it gets worse more gradually. Then you can split stitches, get infected, get seriously infected, go gangrenous, then amputation. Sounds grim but it's more of an arc.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 18, 2012

TurdBurgles
Sep 17, 2007

I AM WHITE AND PLAY NA FLUTE ON TRIBAL LANDS WITH NO GUILT.
What happened to the Lasseiz Faire subforum? I feel like it moved off site and I missed all the info...

I miss pictures & commies :(

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Angra Mainyu posted:

What happened to the Lasseiz Faire subforum? I feel like it moved off site and I missed all the info...

They ironically planned the assassination of the President and Lowtax got a letter from the Secret Service.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Angra Mainyu posted:

I miss pictures & commies :(

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2072

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Zotwoz posted:

I got the order # and amount confirmed through WU's phone number (though I heard that some scammers can get around this), deposited it a few hours ago, and told him that I'd send him his stuff once the thing cleared.

How plausible is his story, and how paranoid should I be about this?
Nat paranoid at all. If he doesn't come through, you're not going to send him anything.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
I am entering a chicken wing eating contest.

http://www.supersizedmeals.com/food/article.php/20120113-Yardbird_Death_Sentence_Wings

Now I have heard a million different stories regarding the ideal preparation for this sort of thing. Advice ranging from eat nothing to have a big lunch and even suggestions of invoking voodoo loving magic.

Can someone definitively tell me the best way to prepare for this? I am not really a massive eater but I can chow it down if the situation requires and I loving love hot chicken wings soo much. I am pretty handy when it comes to spicy food so that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I got some new boots that are my "one shoe to rule them all" and I decided to care really well for them. My previous boots were amazing and lasted like 10 years so I want these to do the same.

The salesdude said something about a good way to remove salt from the (leather and goretex) boot, said it would pull the salt right out. I think it was using a vinegar/water solution, same stuff you clean your house with. But I'm not sure. Can anyone verify this? I don't want it to turn out that vinegar fucks up leather or something.

Rhizoid
May 8, 2003

Takifugu!

fuckpot posted:

http://www.supersizedmeals.com/food/article.php/20120113-Yardbird_Death_Sentence_Wings

Now I have heard a million different stories regarding the ideal preparation for this sort of thing. Advice ranging from eat nothing to have a big lunch and even suggestions of invoking voodoo loving magic.

Can someone definitively tell me the best way to prepare for this? I am not really a massive eater but I can chow it down if the situation requires and I loving love hot chicken wings soo much. I am pretty handy when it comes to spicy food so that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Do you smoke weed?

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta

Rhizoid posted:

Do you smoke weed?
Yeah but I am gonna have to drive there and stuff.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

fuckpot posted:

Hotbox your car once you arrive, then. Obviously.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

fuckpot posted:

Make sure you're familiar with any rules so you don't end up disqualified.

Any body fat you have basically acts as a girdle preventing stomach expansion, so don't be surprised if the winner is a pretty lean person. I'm not a professional eater, but I once ate a pretty big pizza and 4 quarter pounders the best advice I can give you is eat when you normally would but eat smaller amounts, I think starting the day before so your bowel and bladder aren't full. You may want to drink plenty of water in the week leading up though as it might get your stomach used to being stretched.

If you're allowed, tear the food before putting it in your mouth, this means you spend less time having to chew. Perform stretches beforehand this may make you feel a little more comfortable. Try and have a couple of practice sessions too.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

alnilam posted:

I got some new boots that are my "one shoe to rule them all" and I decided to care really well for them. My previous boots were amazing and lasted like 10 years so I want these to do the same.

The salesdude said something about a good way to remove salt from the (leather and goretex) boot, said it would pull the salt right out. I think it was using a vinegar/water solution, same stuff you clean your house with. But I'm not sure. Can anyone verify this? I don't want it to turn out that vinegar fucks up leather or something.

Make sure it's white vinegar. Should work fine. Not sure about the gortex though, but just test it on a small area at first.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Crankit posted:

Make sure you're familiar with any rules so you don't end up disqualified.

Any body fat you have basically acts as a girdle preventing stomach expansion, so don't be surprised if the winner is a pretty lean person. I'm not a professional eater, but I once ate a pretty big pizza and 4 quarter pounders the best advice I can give you is eat when you normally would but eat smaller amounts, I think starting the day before so your bowel and bladder aren't full. You may want to drink plenty of water in the week leading up though as it might get your stomach used to being stretched.

If you're allowed, tear the food before putting it in your mouth, this means you spend less time having to chew. Perform stretches beforehand this may make you feel a little more comfortable. Try and have a couple of practice sessions too.

What he said, but that part I bolded right there is the key. If it is not clearly stated in the rules that you can't dismantle the wings before you eat them then you could wrap up that contest in about 5 minutes.
Break down each wing and make a pile of food then eat it all really fast.
A few dozen wings is only going to be as much food as a footlong sub.
It's the amount of time that you spend with capsaicin against your pores and glands that will kill you.
The drummies are easy to strip, just push the meat right down. The wings need to be broken in half, if they are not already, then hold it vertically on the plate and push down on the meat to make it separate from the bone and then rip it off.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

fuckpot posted:

Eat fast. You want to pace yourself, but you also want to get as much down your throat before your stomach sends the signal that it's full.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta

Very Strange Things posted:

What he said, but that part I bolded right there is the key. If it is not clearly stated in the rules that you can't dismantle the wings before you eat them then you could wrap up that contest in about 5 minutes.
Break down each wing and make a pile of food then eat it all really fast.
A few dozen wings is only going to be as much food as a footlong sub.
It's the amount of time that you spend with capsaicin against your pores and glands that will kill you.
The drummies are easy to strip, just push the meat right down. The wings need to be broken in half, if they are not already, then hold it vertically on the plate and push down on the meat to make it separate from the bone and then rip it off.
Jesus I love this advice. Thanks. I think the way it will be is a plate of wings will be put in front of us and then the clock will start. Capsaicin isn't a problem I love that poo poo!

And thanks for all the other advice too. I can almost taste that bottle of Jack Daniels Single Barrel.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

fuckpot posted:

A guy I went to college with would shove an entire wing into his mouth and pull out clean bones like 5 seconds later, it was amazing.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Hoops posted:

Not a medical expert, but a sprain is basically the ligament being over-stretched. If you kept putting pressure on it without letting it heal it would get weaker and weaker until it eventually snapped. If you've got a muscular tear in say, your ankle, it's impossible to even walk though, let alone dance. Can't "force yourself through the pain or anything", your foot doesn't work anymore.

In terms of development of symptoms, it would swell up like a motherfucker and just hurt more and more until the point where it snapped.

My guess, anyway. From a story perspective it would be difficult to frame it in "stages". I would definitely go with a wound rather than a muscular/joint injury for a story, because it gets worse more gradually. Then you can split stitches, get infected, get seriously infected, go gangrenous, then amputation. Sounds grim but it's more of an arc.

Nah that's fine, it was always going to end in amputation anyways. Thanks!

change my name fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 18, 2012

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I've split the rubber thumb pads on the left joysticks of all three of my PS3 controllers. I've looked on Amazon and at purchasing results on Google and it all comes up with the same hits with reviews that say they are a loose fit. Can anybody recommend somewhere online that I can get decent quality replacements?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

There are lots of ads (on here, on reddit, etc) that are just an affiliate link to something on amazon, like this:

Is that really a profitable thing to do? Seems like you'd need a whole lot of purchases, for a pretty niche book, to make it work.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
One last part of hot wings eating advice:

Eat a couple bananas before and after, take some fiber supplements too and eat some roughage about 6 hours later. The bananas will coat your stomach and the fire will hurt a lot less coming out the other end.

I've done a few hot food contests and this was the best advice I've ever gotten. It doesn't concern the actual content, but it's good prep and damage control.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

There are lots of ads (on here, on reddit, etc) that are just an affiliate link to something on amazon, like this:

Is that really a profitable thing to do? Seems like you'd need a whole lot of purchases, for a pretty niche book, to make it work.

The explanation I've seen is that, at least for Amazon, following the link sets a cookie that credits the referrer for any purchase made until it expires (don't know how long that is) or gets overwritten -- it doesn't have to be the specific item linked. The affiliate marketer just wants something intriguing, controversial or provocative for the ad to get the click. Like the book title you mention, or the banner ads of Justin Bieber's or Sarah Palin's eyes you see here -- you say, "Why the gently caress is that advertising on SA?" and click it to find out. You obviously don't buy that, but if you do happen to buy something from Amazon while the cookie still lives, they get a kickback nonetheless.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta

RaoulDuke12 posted:

One last part of hot wings eating advice:

Eat a couple bananas before and after, take some fiber supplements too and eat some roughage about 6 hours later. The bananas will coat your stomach and the fire will hurt a lot less coming out the other end.

I've done a few hot food contests and this was the best advice I've ever gotten. It doesn't concern the actual content, but it's good prep and damage control.
Six hours might be a bit long, which leads me into another silly question.

I think my digestion might work pretty fast. Whenever I eat something spicy (and I have had no spice and then spice so I know) I can usually feel afterburn within two hours. What sort of benefits does this offer me?

I know for a fact it is average two hours. I remember having something hella spicy after a day of no spicy food and it was two hours afterwards on the dot that my body was getting rid of it.

LARRY JEW
Jan 7, 2010

Mopey Dick
So I've been hearing a lot about the whole SOPA thing which got me to thinking about copyright laws(or whatever the thing is) for photography. I really don't have a good understanding of how this all works obviously but if the Associated Press or Rolling Stone or whatever takes a picture of say the winner of the Superbowl and puts it on their front cover or whatever, do they own the rights to that picture anywhere on the internet?

I think what I'm really trying to ask is this: are there laws that distinguish "professional" photographs from ones that I would take with my iPhone or a snap and shoot?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
When you take a picture, you automatically own the copyright to that picture. You own the copyright to any lovely cellphone pic you take with your iphone, and would be well within your rights to prohibit anyone else from reproducing it. You can slap whatever licence you want on it, from retaining all rights (no one else may reproduce or use it), to Creative Commons (others may use it if they follow a set of rules), to declaring it Public Domain (anyone may use it for whatever they feel like, forever).

When a newspaper publishes a photograph, they either purchase some of the rights from the photographer (if he's freelance) or have a contract in place that automatically grants them copyright on the pictures that a photographer takes (if he's salaried). Often there are "middleman" owners of rights, like the AP, but they follow the same rules as everyone else.

When you post an image to imgur or facebook or twitter, you're USUALLY indicating that you currently own the copyright to that image, and you're granting imgur/facebook/twitter licence to reproduce your image for free. (Sometimes you grant them even more rights over your images, because you didn't read the TOU.) If you upload a lovely image macro that you don't own the copyright on, you're technically breaking the law, but nobody really cares.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

How do I pronounce the (male) name Gokce? I'm thinking goke-che (first part rhyming with coke, but softer.)

Is this correct / on the right track?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Very Strange Things posted:

Check the rules for how they check a wing to see that it's "done."
If they allow some amount of meat on either end, you need to use the end-pull method for maximum speed. You stick all but the end you're holding into your mouth and then strip the meat off with your teeth. Chew as little as you can, then swallow. Your mind might have a problem with such big chunks going down your throat. To help, suspend the meat in just a lil bit of water and drink it like soup. You just have to break a lot of mental barriers.
I won 3rd place at a college wing eating contest using these techniques. I still regret every second of it.

If you have a big mouth, you can dual wield wings. But you gotta leave the wing bones clean.

Zotwoz
Apr 2, 2011

Travakian posted:

How do I pronounce the (male) name Gokce? I'm thinking goke-che (first part rhyming with coke, but softer.)

Is this correct / on the right track?

Gökçe is pronounced Gurk-cheh (G-ö-k-ç-e : G-ur-k-ch-eh)

Zotwoz fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jan 19, 2012

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Zotwoz posted:

Gökçe is pronounced Gurk-cheh (G-ö-k-ç-e : G-ur-k-ch-eh)

Brilliant, thanks. I've only have it written down unaccented; would've helped to know they were missing!

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Mike Tysons CARFAX posted:

So I've been hearing a lot about the whole SOPA thing which got me to thinking about copyright laws(or whatever the thing is) for photography. I really don't have a good understanding of how this all works obviously but if the Associated Press or Rolling Stone or whatever takes a picture of say the winner of the Superbowl and puts it on their front cover or whatever, do they own the rights to that picture anywhere on the internet?

I think what I'm really trying to ask is this: are there laws that distinguish "professional" photographs from ones that I would take with my iPhone or a snap and shoot?

No why would there be. You made it you own it

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is TurboTax worth the price now that I have a mortgage? The deluxe federal/state/e-file version for this year is $40 on Amazon. I don't expect anything else in terms of deductions.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

actionjackson posted:

Is TurboTax worth the price now that I have a mortgage? The deluxe federal/state/e-file version for this year is $40 on Amazon. I don't expect anything else in terms of deductions.

You can do the same thing online for free, just pay for the e-file or print it out.

http://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/jsp/index.jsp?ck

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Looking for a link to the youtube video of 9/11 with Yakety Sax playing in the background.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

stubblyhead posted:

Looking for a link to the youtube video of 9/11 with Yakety Sax playing in the background.

tribute.wmv?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
e: ^^ :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8bV9iNStEI

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

kimbo305 posted:

If you have a big mouth, you can dual wield wings.
For some reason that cracked me right up. :golfclap: Then I noticed your name and then the phrase "wings akimbo" came to mind and I laughed again. Heh.

VeryStrangeThings please be sure to let us know how the contest goes and, if possible, post some pics of your disgusting sauce-slathered mug mid wing-destruction.

overseerbrian
Jun 25, 2005
Didn't Google used to have a way to remove spammy websites like fixya and bigresource from your search results? I'm not talking about doing like a "-fixya" either. You would have to do something like click on the link in Google search results, then click back, then click remove site. or something. I cant find it anymore, I know I've used it in the past.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
There's a google chrome extension called Personal Blocklist. Is that what you're thinking of?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

overseerbrian posted:

Didn't Google used to have a way to remove spammy websites like fixya and bigresource from your search results? I'm not talking about doing like a "-fixya" either. You would have to do something like click on the link in Google search results, then click back, then click remove site. or something. I cant find it anymore, I know I've used it in the past.

Is http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2012/01/blocked-sites-no-longer-available-in.html what you're looking for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005
Weird. Just a couple days ago I saw that as an option whenever I came back to the search results page. Now I don't see it either.

Edit: and there you go!