Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
mine is most certainly active, its says so on the sapphire box and on the adapter itself.
I have a feeling that the HDMI is what is causing the error. I ordered 2 active adapters that the radeon website said were compatible. If it doesnt work then I know the problem is in my setting not my hardware

I also have an issue with my mobo. I have the one recommended in the building thread OP. Its a P8P67 and im not sure why the usb 3.0 isnt working. I dont have any 3.0 devices to test with, but its supposed to be compatible with 2.0 stuff as well. The cord doesnt fit very securely in the 20-1 port on the mobo, is it supposed to click in or something?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jan 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Don't be fooled into replying, I am either a lesson in Poe's Law or incredibly fucking stupid, or both. Also I can't read charts and graphs and think image macros about Paul Ryan's genius are fun and exciting! Run me over with Biden's Trans-Am!
I'm 64.9 free on my 119GB SSD. How close am I at seeing performance loss or issues in the future? Or am I just being over-dramatic? I forgot how much room I need to leave on my SSD.

grumperfish posted:

Don't use this guide. Just uninstall the drivers via control panel, run Driver Sweeper set to ATI/AMD, and then install the nvidia drivers. Don't mess about with regedit.
Worked like a charm. Thanks!

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

Alexander Nevermind posted:

I'm 64.9 free on my 119GB SSD. How close am I at seeing performance loss or issues in the future? Or am I just being over-dramatic? I forgot how much room I need to leave on my SSD.

I believe you don't start seeing performance losses until you have around 10% free space.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Totally random question but: how come only MacBooks get those awesome magnet AC adapters that keep you're Notebook from becoming unusable once you trip over the wire? No other laptop seems to do, at least as far as I know.... There may be copyright involved sure, but it shouldn't be too hard putting some magnets in that plug; so why doesn't this exist for other computers?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Chikimiki posted:

Totally random question but: how come only MacBooks get those awesome magnet AC adapters that keep you're Notebook from becoming unusable once you trip over the wire? No other laptop seems to do, at least as far as I know.... There may be copyright involved sure, but it shouldn't be too hard putting some magnets in that plug; so why doesn't this exist for other computers?
Patents are a bitch.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Yeah, that thing's going to be an Apple exclusive until 2021 at least and 2027 at the longest, depending on the type of patent. I doubt they'll start licensing it all of a sudden.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It won't be a problem once we invent magic in 2017.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I'm surprised more people aren't dicks about it.

I swear, a stolen cup of iron filings from science class, taken into a room full of Macbooks..

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

Martytoof posted:

It won't be a problem once we invent magic in 2017.

I hate to break it to you, but...

Prior art. Sorry.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Patents are a bitch.

Factory Factory posted:

Yeah, that thing's going to be an Apple exclusive until 2021 at least and 2027 at the longest, depending on the type of patent. I doubt they'll start licensing it all of a sudden.

Really? I thought patents were supposed to be very specific, and that it would be possible for other companies to at least produce an alternate system... Guess I was wrong then.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Chikimiki posted:

Really? I thought patents were supposed to be very specific, and that it would be possible for other companies to at least produce an alternate system... Guess I was wrong then.

Depending on what's being patented, they can be very broad. This could be as broad as, say "put magnet on plug and receptacle to prevent plug from falling out" if no such patent already existed. Hell, it's probably broader than that, that's just my 5 second take on it.

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.
I had a mishap on New Years Eve and a drink ended up inside my tower. I took it to a PC repair place to see what was hosed up and they told me the motherboard was fried. I replaced the motherboard and reinstalled Windows 7. Everything seems to be in working order, but my computer is powering off randomly, no BSOD no shutdown sequence. I've only noticed it when I'm in a game, so I don't know if it's a heat or power issue. Any ideas what the problem could be?

Athlon II X4 640
GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-S2P
4 GB RAM
AMD Radeon 6850

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

DoctorJones posted:

I had a mishap on New Years Eve and a drink ended up inside my tower. I took it to a PC repair place to see what was hosed up and they told me the motherboard was fried. I replaced the motherboard and reinstalled Windows 7. Everything seems to be in working order, but my computer is powering off randomly, no BSOD no shutdown sequence. I've only noticed it when I'm in a game, so I don't know if it's a heat or power issue. Any ideas what the problem could be?

Athlon II X4 640
GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-S2P
4 GB RAM
AMD Radeon 6850
Check your temperatures with HWiNFO in sensors-only mode. Keep it running while gaming a bit to get min/max/current temps. Also check your voltages, especially vcore/12v/5v/3.3v to see how the power supply's faring.

Other than that, it could be RAM, GPU, or (most-likely) the power supply. RAM can be checked with memtest86+.

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Patents are a bitch.

What makes it even worse is that magnetic power connectors have been used in Asia for rice cookers for ages. They're usually located next to sources of water and are quite heavy, so it makes perfect sense in terms of safety.
Apple just applied the idea to laptop chargers and now they have a patent.

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.

grumperfish posted:

Check your temperatures with HWiNFO in sensors-only mode. Keep it running while gaming a bit to get min/max/current temps. Also check your voltages, especially vcore/12v/5v/3.3v to see how the power supply's faring.

Other than that, it could be RAM, GPU, or (most-likely) the power supply. RAM can be checked with memtest86+.

I'm getting high temperatures (80-100C) on my video card. I'm assuming this is the issue. It just seems weird to me the video card could cause the whole system to turn off.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Bensa posted:

What makes it even worse is that magnetic power connectors have been used in Asia for rice cookers for ages. They're usually located next to sources of water and are quite heavy, so it makes perfect sense in terms of safety.
Apple just applied the idea to laptop chargers and now they have a patent.

Could you patent an electromagnet that disconnected itself from the PC once it was fulled charged therefore preventing overcharge(if you even have to worry about it)? I would think you could patent that by itself as Apple's patent doesn't cover the same thing.

Also, my mother has a had few of those cookers(not any of them rice cookers) that had magnetic connectors. Some of the plugs worked on two or three of the different ones we had without problem.

DoctorJones posted:

I'm getting high temperatures (80-100C) on my video card. I'm assuming this is the issue. It just seems weird to me the video card could cause the whole system to turn off.
When was the last time you cleaned out the heatsink of the card? Did any of this liquid get on the card? I created a fan profile for my dad's HD 6850 so it wouldn't get as hot. It kicks up to 100% fan speed when it's get about 80 degree Celsius.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 19, 2012

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.

SlayVus posted:

When was the last time you cleaned out the heatsink of the card? Did any of this liquid get on the card? I created a fan profile for my dad's HD 6850 so it wouldn't get as hot. It kicks up to 100% fan speed when it's get about 80 degree Celsius.

Figured out the problem. Had a cable sitting on the video card fan preventing it from spinning. Cut my temperatures in half. Hopefully that's all it is.

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Don't be fooled into replying, I am either a lesson in Poe's Law or incredibly fucking stupid, or both. Also I can't read charts and graphs and think image macros about Paul Ryan's genius are fun and exciting! Run me over with Biden's Trans-Am!
Is it possible for an SSD that is loaded with Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium to start losing more storage space over time? I went from a 65GB free to 64.7GB at the next startup and the only thing I did was browse a few websites, play BF3 and Minecraft. I cleared out all my cache, cookies etc from my browser.

:wtc: is going on?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Is it possible for an SSD that is loaded with Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium to start losing more storage space over time? I went from a 65GB free to 64.7GB at the next startup and the only thing I did was browse a few websites, play BF3 and Minecraft. I cleared out all my cache, cookies etc from my browser.

Automatic updates?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
300 MEGABYTES NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :negative:

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Dogen posted:

300 MEGABYTES NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :negative:

LOL :iiam:. Must. Have. 300. Back.

Bob, I'll check that out tonight. Probably is it...

Dogen
May 5, 2002

poo poo I remember when I got a 300 MB HDD when I was about 11 and I thought that would be all the HDD I would ever need. Those were simpler times...

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

Sounds like System Protection doing its thing.

Kiros
Mar 16, 2008

Does anybody know about the quake?
Bullshit!
I'm looking into replace the stock heat sink and fan on my AMD FX-6100 so I can overclock it and not pis my pants when it gets too hot. I'm looking into a Corsair H60 to help with this or should I go with a traditional heat sink and fan?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Dogen posted:

poo poo I remember when I got a 300 MB HDD when I was about 11 and I thought that would be all the HDD I would ever need. Those were simpler times...

Were they really? I remember DOS bootdisks. :argh:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Don't forget extended memory and expanded memory!

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Kiros posted:

I'm looking into replace the stock heat sink and fan on my AMD FX-6100 so I can overclock it and not pis my pants when it gets too hot. I'm looking into a Corsair H60 to help with this or should I go with a traditional heat sink and fan?

If you're gonna spend that much, get a Noctua NH-D14. It cools like an H100 yet is quieter.

Alternatively, get an A70.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Obligatory HR-02 Macho or Silver Arrow recommendation

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Kiros posted:

You bought a Zambezi chip. :allears:

An H60 is going to fall apart or just run loud as hell if you want to overclock it at all. Either go with something like an HR-02 Macho, Noctua NH-D14, Silver Arrow, or Archon if you want to go with air-cooling. Out of those, the Macho is going to be cheapest and should give you some overclocking headroom. A 212+/EVO won't really be adequate for your chip above stock speeds, and the Macho isn't going to cost that much more than one of those would run you. If you want more overhead for overclocking, you're going to want to look at the Silver Arrow or Noctua cooler.

If you want to go with a watercooling kit, go with either an H80 if you only have room for a 120 radiator, or an H100 if you have room for a 240:
http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g30/c321/s973/list/p1/Liquid_Cooling-Water_Cooling_Kits_-_Brands-Corsair_Water_Cooling_Kits-Page1.html

Efb

future ghost fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 20, 2012

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Kiros posted:

Noctua NH-D14 braugh.

PS. Kiros Seagull is that really you? Judging from the SOTT avatar I think it might be..

Kiros
Mar 16, 2008

Does anybody know about the quake?
Bullshit!

Noctua NH-D14 braugh.

PS. Kiros Seagull is that really you? Judging from the SOTT avatar I think it might be..

Oh snap is that Dualist?!

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
I was just scavenging for laptop screws in an old dell laptop (Inspiron 5150 if it matters) and when I opened up the display assembly there was a strong rear end magnet in a bracket above the LCD. Why in the loving christ was that there?

It's not like it actually matters to me in any way, I'm just curious. I've never seen that before.

Now I have a cool magnet to magnetize my screw drivers and find the tiny little screws the I drop on the floor.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Could be for detecting when the laptop is closed. It would be more reliable than a mechanical switch.

Mr. Blastaway
Jun 23, 2004

Slightly weird and likely too specific question, but the usb receiver to my Logitech EX110 mouse and keyboard died and I found someone selling a replacement receiver from an Logitech MK320 model for only $2.50 shipped. The receiver looks exactly the same as my dead one. Anyone know the likely-hood of this thing working with my EX110 kb+m?

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

Spatial posted:

Could be for detecting when the laptop is closed. It would be more reliable than a mechanical switch.

I bet that's it. Now that you mention it I didn't come across a mechanical switch in disassembly.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Whats a good headset/mic combo? I'm looking to drop some cash on one with good audio quality.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Reverand maynard posted:

Whats a good headset/mic combo? I'm looking to drop some cash on one with good audio quality.

If you want an all-in-one unit, Corsair makes a nice headset. If you want a bit more choice and ability to be fiddly, pick your own nice headphones (like, go to AV Arena's headphone thread levels of good) and match with either a Zalman clip-on mic or a Logitech USB desktop mic.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Dogen posted:

Obligatory HR-02 Macho or Silver Arrow recommendation

The D14 is significantly easier to install and reinstall multiple times than the Silver Arrow.

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Automatic updates?

MutantBlue posted:

Sounds like System Protection doing its thing.

Thanks guys, that solved it. Back to 70 GB free woohoo :toot:

Kiros posted:

Oh snap is that Dualist?!
The one and only. Small loving world...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
Any issues with using a molex->PCI-E adapter to run two 6870s in crossfire? I have a 550W Antec power supply, and it only has two PCI-E 6+2 connectors, both of which are used by a single 6870. I used this power supply calculator, and it gave me 469W minimum, 513W recommended with my current setup + an additional 6870. I have a pair of molex adapters just sitting in my video card box, but I'm not entirely sure it's safe.

I was looking at the manual (PDF), and I just can't really make heads or tails of what it's telling me.

• Locked thread