Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Alizee posted:

Man I had the lamest poo poo happen.

I go and get my skates sharpened at Canadian Tire cause it was the closest location and I have to take the bus. It's so that I have some nice sharp skates for my first game back after the break.

I get out on the ice tonight and I have absolutely zero edges. It was as if I took a pair of skates out of a box and tried to skate on them.

I knew I shouldn't have trusted the 74 year old woman trying to sharpen my skates.

Anyway, I ended up just sitting on the bench for the game, watching, chatting.

Some weak poo poo purchasing a skate sharpening, paying for a cab to get to the arena, and not even being able to play. Weak, rear end, poo poo.

What a dumb move.

Honestly I think you deserve it for going to Canadian Tire to get your skates sharpened. How bad could they have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Alizee posted:

Canadian Tire

I hope it at least came with a balance and rotation :v:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I hope it at least came with a balance and rotation :v:

Probably cost $300 though and they didn't tell him about it until he came in to pay for the sharpening.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
I figured that anywhere that offers skate sharpening knows how to sharpen skates. =/

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
Rookie mistake

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Apparently so.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I won't even take my skates to pro shops because of all the horror stories I've heard. I cart my rear end half an hour to the place where I bought them, because at least at that point if they screw something up, I can play the "but I'm a loyal customer!" card.

They also take $2 off the sharpening if you bought the skates with them.. which usually gets converted into a new roll of tape. :haw:

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Alizee posted:

Apparently so.

If you have a place near you, try going to Play It Again Sports or Sportchek. That's where I get my skates sharpened and I've never had a problem with them. Not sure where you live, but if you're in a decent sized town they should probably have at least one of these places.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

MagicCube posted:

If you have a place near you, try going to Play It Again Sports or Sportchek. That's where I get my skates sharpened and I've never had a problem with them. Not sure where you live, but if you're in a decent sized town they should probably have at least one of these places.

Yeah turns out there's a play it again a few blocks down from the Canadian Tire I went to. :negative:

I swear I was going to score a hat trick last night too :smith:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Everyone should just embrace their inner sperglord and send their blades to http://www.noicingsports.com/ to get a custom sharpening.

Have 4 pairs on hand so you always have sharp skates!

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

sellouts posted:

Everyone should just embrace their inner sperglord and send their blades to http://www.noicingsports.com/ to get a custom sharpening.

Have 4 pairs on hand so you always have sharp skates!
I don't know about trusting any when they have a website that still uses <marquee> in a serious manner

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's actually a great litmus test, everyone knows the best mom-n-pop stores have lovely 90's websites.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

xzzy posted:

That's actually a great litmus test, everyone knows the best mom-n-pop stores have lovely 90's websites.
I dunno about that. My local shop has a pretty decent looking and functioning site and it's definitely mom-n-pop since it's run by just one awesome guy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Eh, he paid someone to make his website. The hardcore do it with a WYSIWYG html editor themselves. :black101:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The place does a bang up job. They will suggest what they think works for you based on your profile and a survey and if you don't like it they'll do whatever it takes to make it right.

A friend who plays some pretty exclusive private games got turned onto them and swears by them. He's super picky and I've trusted his previous recommendations. I'm going to try them out after my tournament.

Is it worth the cost of having 4 sets of blades + 4.95 shipping + 6 per set to sharpen? That I dunno.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 18, 2012

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
These guys own and they dont even have their own domian

http://www.sanjosesharpening.blogspot.com/

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Anyone else have a BFD cut on their skates? I've put 2 games on a fresh x6 cut, and the edges feel dull to the touch already. I'm wondering if this is just flat-bottom being flat-bottom, or if I got a lovely cut.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sellouts posted:

The place does a bang up job. They will suggest what they think works for you based on your profile and a survey and if you don't like it they'll do whatever it takes to make it right.

I wish I could find a place like that. I went to just about every hockey store in the Chicago region and every single one of them is staffed by kids.

Specific to sharpening, I've done okay, no fuckups yet, but everything else I had to go in knowing what I wanted because the dorks they got working the floor can't size gear to save their life.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

poser posted:

These guys own and they dont even have their own domian

http://www.sanjosesharpening.blogspot.com/

Yup. They are by far the best in the area.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Just ordered a Bauer Supreme Total One shaft... 77 flex.

Whip it good.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Last week at a pickup game I found this thing left on the bench. It looked pretty new and well cared for. I assumed one of our guys had left it behind, so I picked it up and...

I literally had a difficult time lifting it with one arm. I swear it had to weigh probably a kilo if not more. I goofed around with it for a bit...I could handle the puck sort of, but I seriously had a tough time moving the puck with one hand. I also could hardly shoot with it (it was a really, really soft flex also); despite it weighing as much as it did it felt like I could break it over my knee.

So I brought this mystery stick to the locker room and everyone was as confused by it as I was. It really felt like the thing had weight added to it, like the inside was lead or something. Half the guys decided it was a "training stick" of some sort, but there wasn't anything on it that said as such. That said, I don't know how on earth (or why) a stick could be that heavy...it was far, far heavier than any stick I've ever held.

Can someone explain what is going on there?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I think you're just so used to composite sticks these days that the difference is fairly measurable.

vvvv that too

shyduck fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 19, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It's $18. Of course it weighs 35 lbs.

E: I still have a wooden stick from my old highschool roller days in my garage. It's pretty crazy how light gear has gotten.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 19, 2012

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
It's a street hockey stick so the blade is coated with ABS which contributes to the weight. It's heavy but the blade doesn't wear-out as easily.

I personally prefer using a cheap woodstick for pick up street hockey since they're way more lighter (they're still way heavier than composites but I'm not going to using a composite on pavement).

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

bewbies posted:

Last week at a pickup game I found this thing left on the bench. It looked pretty new and well cared for. I assumed one of our guys had left it behind, so I picked it up and...
I have that stick hanging on my wall! It was my first stick when I started playing again. Used it as my backup stick until I actually broke my primary, tried to use it, and realized I'd probably be better off trying to bum someone else's spare. Or playing without a stick.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Anyone else have a BFD cut on their skates? I've put 2 games on a fresh x6 cut, and the edges feel dull to the touch already. I'm wondering if this is just flat-bottom being flat-bottom, or if I got a lovely cut.

I've heard rumors the flat-bottom cuts to dull very quickly. I think I got about 6 or 7 hours out of mine.

You appear to have confirmed the trend.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...
That makes good physical sense. An arch is a more stable formation.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
Went to stick n puck because I'm unemployed
Drank beers before
Skating was fun
Received a job offer and I start Monday when I arrived home

conclusion: beer makes everything better.

poser fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 20, 2012

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

poser posted:

conclusion: beer makes everything better.

Agreed. Hope you get the job.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

poser posted:

conclusion: beer + Hockey makes everything better.

There you go.

Man I miss playing hockey :( So far its been about 6 weeks healing this broken wrist and I think about playing EVERY DAY

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

lazerwolf posted:

There you go.

Man I miss playing hockey :( So far its been about 6 weeks healing this broken wrist and I think about playing EVERY DAY

My coach injured a tendon in his wrist getting his stick stuck in the crack between boards, wore a cast for a month. Took him a couple weeks to figure out how to adjust, but he kept on going to games.. his injured hand was his top hand, and he figured out he could make passes if he cupped the butt end of the stick in the palm of his hand. Stickhandling was pretty bad but he could play.

I guess what I'm saying is suck it up and get out there. :colbert:

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
Want to look like you're on the ice but aren't? Let me introduce you to the Bari Boot Rookie Boots.

For only $130, you too can own ice skates without the skate!
http://www.totalhockey.com/Product.aspx?itm_id=6013&div_id=41

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Haha those are insanely retarded/awesome.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
Woah, those are crazy. Are they supposed to be some sort of practice tool or more of a "check out my sweet rear end skate-shoes" thing?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I think they're a "I'm never getting laid" sort of thing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's exactly what I need, a pair of shoes that takes 5 minutes to put on.

It would be awesome if it was an actual skate boot, hard plastic and all. Put in a rail on the bottom with a couple snaps so you can slide in a skate blade, instant hockey skate! :haw:

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Sexy Randal posted:

Woah, those are crazy. Are they supposed to be some sort of practice tool or more of a "check out my sweet rear end skate-shoes" thing?

I think this is what they are aiming for.

shyguy posted:

I think they're a "I'm never getting laid" sort of thing.

This is what they've accomplished.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Bradf0rd posted:

Want to look like you're on the ice but aren't? Let me introduce you to the Bari Boot Rookie Boots.

For only $130, you too can own ice skates without the skate!
http://www.totalhockey.com/Product.aspx?itm_id=6013&div_id=41

One of the pro shops here just started selling those and I was wondering who the hell would want to wear them. The good news is, in person they don't look that much worse than say, lovely hiking boots.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

That boot would be cool for some hardcore shoveling and snow blowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
If that boot has the protection of a regular hockey boot I could see that being a good alternative for roller hockey goalies who don't use skates