Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
Need help understanding why my turntable might be spinning too fast. Happened after a move and I would say my songs are playing maybe 5-10% too quickly. The only thing I can think to do is perhaps dust the insides but I would think if anything dirt would slow it down? It's an Audio-Technica AT-LP2D for what it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Heads up for those Plains of the Purple Buffalo fans. The record is on sale on *Shels' site once again, but it's $50. As much as I love that album, I'd suggest not buying it until the re-press they said they will do sometime during or soon after February. Plus, this is just profiteering bullshit.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Electric Bugaloo posted:

oval office-calling

Unless you're Dave Sitek from TV on the Radio I don't see why you'd respond that way.

Anyway, I don't really hear Coldplay when I listen to Kings of Leon either. Are KoL really as 'big' as them or something? I can actually only listen to about 20 seconds of Coldplay before I start feeling physically ill. Same thing with the Rolling Stones, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Manic Street Preachers, and to a lesser extent with Oasis. I've passed on some very good (money-wise) deals on Stones records simply because I can't listen to them and I don't really ever buy stuff up just because I know I can turn a profit - not that I have anything against doing that, I just can't be bothered.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

AwwJeah posted:

Need help understanding why my turntable might be spinning too fast. Happened after a move and I would say my songs are playing maybe 5-10% too quickly. The only thing I can think to do is perhaps dust the insides but I would think if anything dirt would slow it down? It's an Audio-Technica AT-LP2D for what it's worth.

Are there little holes in the bottom which give access to screws, perhaps labeled 33 and 45 or pitch or something? I'm not familiar with the table but a lot of systems allow adjustment that way.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

They are called potentiometers and you need to be very very careful adjusting them.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

alg posted:

They are called potentiometers and you need to be very very careful adjusting them.

I'm stupid for not realizing this (that they're pots). And yes, it's fairly delicate work and there's no guarantee of a good result. I've never managed to get the speed on my cheapo Omnitronic just right but it's good enough (and still a lot more stable than on many other cheap belt-drive turntables).

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!
Check the belt too, it might have risen up and be riding on the rim of the motor.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Raptor Jesus posted:

(which is a great vinyl)

We had this before, just call it a record, otherwise we get too many new people thinking its cool to call it MY VINYLS.

rings of bonzo posted:

Thanks for all the replies. What is maintenance like for vinyls RECORDS? I'd primarily be listening to older records (Zeppelin) if that matters at all.

Whatever floats your boat. Store them vertically. Most people keep them in 3 mil polyethylene sleeves (example here) to keep albums from wearing on each other and some semblance of dust out. You can buy bags in smaller quantities from local record stores.

Tip for newcomers.. don't spend a lot on records. Those Beatles or Zeppelin records you think are a holy grail, aren't. I bought my Sabbath discography for a buck each maybe. Thrift and goodwill stores up and down the US have them in the 99 cent bin, so don't think you have to have money to do this (although welcome to a lovely money wormhole hobby). Its harder to find rare stuff for cheap for a multitude of reasons (more people collect, more records being made, more being thrown out/ground each year, etc) so don't get bummed out either. Enjoy the music and don't be some squabbly oval office on the internet fighting about purity of sound or why anyone should care what kind of music you listen to.

rings of bonzo posted:

im sorry if this has been asked a thousand times, and im sure its really annoying, but what advantage is there to listening to vinyl over cds or flac files? i have done some reading, but everyone seems to say different things, some say the digital capturing process creates distortion, others say that is a complete lie created by people who prefer vinyl, blah blah blah.

i want to get into vinyl, but id like to find out some quality information first.

None. It sucks to own thousands of records because its a pain in the rear end to move, to hide them so people don't say "gee, you sure need a new hobby," etc. I don't like FLAC anyway, not a purist audiophile, I just use V0 when encoding MP3. My equipment isn't the best, its what I can afford/find.

The arguments are about both analog to digital converters and recording analog vs recording digital. Meaningless for most people. It matters a lot to people in recording/bands and people on either side of the CD/record debate. Feel free to jump in, but honestly, why bother if you're not in the recording industry?

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Is there anything special I should know about when listening to a picture lp? I just bought one and I can't wait to listen.

They suck because its a sandwich of the picture element with recycled reground vinyl pucks on either side, and the picture part can gently caress up the pressing. They're not all bad and I have plenty of picture discs that play fine, but once you hear a bad one (I hate to admit but I purchased the Oi Polloi - Total Anarchoi picture LP in my youth) you get turned off them. Metal (black, heavy, etc) loves picture discs because metal in general is a huge ripoff (and I love metal). I buy most of my metal secondhand because I can't imagine paying 25$ for a new LP direct mailorder.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

These days, when file sharing accounts for more copies of a song out in the aether than sales by a literally-exponential margin, giving a musician poo poo for "selling out" isn't fair.
Please don't buy into this, its sentiment like this that supports the current PIPA/SOPA legislation. I'm not directing it at you, but you're repeating the music industry's empty rhetoric about copying.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

It's sort of like what Dave Sitek from TV on the Radio once said about NYC pretentiousness
Literally everyone is entitled to opinions especially, unfortunately, your fan base. If you get called out for making certain decisions, learn to stick to them. Don't try to turn it on the fans. People are finicky because they purchased a band's music.. congrats, you just met your audience.

As for motor speed, most repair joints have a strobe or means of adjusting the speed if you don't. I don't know if that table is one of the technics knockoffs but if it has the strobe dots on the platter you can adjust based on that.

Ron Burgundy posted:

As llibja noted, the absence of carbon black in the vinyl mixture can lead to a noisier record
Bzzt.. I mean, maybe when vinyl was first starting to be used as the main component, but modern vinyl mixes are fine for quality without carbon and there's plenty of black records that don't use carbon, but dyes. No less quality. Carbon's used for visual clarity in quality control inspection AFAIK.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
The only picture disc I have is the Neutral Milk Hotel Holland, 1945/Engine single, and it sounds just as good as any other record to my ears. Granted, I honestly don't have the best ear for these things (unless it's very obvious), but I think most picture discs sound fine. Personally I think most are very ugly though.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

theradiostillsucks posted:

Coincidentally, you can swap out "Kings of Leon" for "My Morning Jacket" in your first paragraph and it still works, though It Still Moves was enjoyable.

Every My Morning Jacket album is pretty unique from each other in my opinion. "Z" might be the most overall "same" record, but I still like it. I think the transformation from the original country rock sound comes from becoming more experienced musicians, in their case.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Are you sure they use recycled vinyl on picture discs? Would the effort of sourcing clear records for grinding or somehow making regular black vinyl clear again not vastly outweigh the cost of purchasing new clear pellets?

Ron Burgundy fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 17, 2012

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
Picture discs are made of thin vinyl laminates, resulting in inferior sound quality.

http://www.vinylunderground.net/article.html

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I just got an e-mail about a Florence and the Machine limited (500) edition single and clicked the link to the Flotique and it's 57,50 euros. Shouldn't that be like... 5,75?

Fyuz
Dec 15, 2004

Admiral Goodenough posted:

How was it packed? I've been considering buying records online, but I'm afraid it'll arrive cracked or folded or something.

I was quite surprised, it was sent in a cardboard box. That was it. The box wasn't lined with anything and there was no packing/cushioning in whatsoever. The contents couldn't rattle around or anything, and it arrived in perfect condition.

It's the first time I have got one in the post so I'm not sure what the norm is for packing them. Also I ordered it direct from the artist's shop so I would assume they are happy with the system they have.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fyuz posted:

The contents couldn't rattle around or anything, and it arrived in perfect condition.

Basically if poo poo can move around, it doesn't matter how much padding there is so no padding and a tight package is a pretty good way to go. If someone smashes or bends or crushes the package, the goods will be damaged, of course but that's another thing completely.

JohnnyWarbucks
May 8, 2007
I just received the January installment for the Joyful Noise flexi disc series and it's awesome! I don't know if all the songs will be this quality, but I was pretty impressed.

I hadn't really seen a flexi disc before, but it's pretty amazing how well it works. Thanks again to whomever posted about it back in December!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

JohnnyWarbucks posted:

I just received the January installment for the Joyful Noise flexi disc series and it's awesome! I don't know if all the songs will be this quality, but I was pretty impressed.

I hadn't really seen a flexi disc before, but it's pretty amazing how well it works. Thanks again to whomever posted about it back in December!

It was me, and I'm still waiting on mine. Life is such cruel irony.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Either of you order the box?

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I ordered the box (fool and his money), but haven't gotten it yet. I can post some pics eventually if people want to when I get it since as far as I know, all there is is the description of the box online.

JohnnyWarbucks
May 8, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I thought about ordering the box, but ended up not. Kinda wish I had, but if I had, maybe I would still be waiting on my record? Hope you guys get yours soon, you're in for a treat. They even included a small laffy taffy in mine, nice touch.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

JohnnyWarbucks posted:

I thought about ordering the box, but ended up not. Kinda wish I had, but if I had, maybe I would still be waiting on my record? Hope you guys get yours soon, you're in for a treat. They even included a small laffy taffy in mine, nice touch.

I did just notice on the joyful noise website: "* Due to insane demand for the "Deluxe" version, wooden boxes may arrive with February shipment instead of January."

So who knows.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I did.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Mine arrived today and I'm in the far reaches of Scotland. Great track, kinda wish I'd ordered the box now as well though.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

If you're one of the 5 people in the world who have heard of the Gay Blades, their special edition of their "Ghosts" vinyl release is looking sexy. And $18!

http://www.inthecloudsrecords.com/product/the-gay-blades-ghosts-pop-up-vinyl

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Are there little holes in the bottom which give access to screws, perhaps labeled 33 and 45 or pitch or something? I'm not familiar with the table but a lot of systems allow adjustment that way.

I have these potentiometers you speak of. I'm not really certain how I should properly make adjustments but I'll do some research and see if its a project I can tackle. Anyone have a decent guide they could point me to? For now my solution is folding a small piece tissue and wedging it between the spinning platform and the base.

AwwJeah fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 18, 2012

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Use a very fine screwdriver, perhaps even a plastic one. Be very careful. If it's only 10% fast you should only need to turn just a bit.

Froderick
Aug 15, 2007

You don't box in a vet.
My 5 year old $99 usb turntable finally broke so I checked with a local shop that sells old turntables and they had a Technics SL-1200MK2 for $250. Missing the dustcover and a little scuffed on top, especially near the pitch adjustment, but it works and sounds great. Any reason not to go buy it right now?

Cosmic Horror
Feb 2, 2009

DON'T BRING A GUN TO A SHELBY FIGHT MOTHER FUCKER, THAT'S RIGHT YOU GOT KNOCKED THE FUCK OUT

Kaboobi posted:

If you're one of the 5 people in the world who have heard of the Gay Blades, their special edition of their "Ghosts" vinyl release is looking sexy. And $18!

http://www.inthecloudsrecords.com/product/the-gay-blades-ghosts-pop-up-vinyl

I may order this just for having a popup image.

Duckula posted:

Mine arrived today and I'm in the far reaches of Scotland. Great track, kinda wish I'd ordered the box now as well though.

Still waiting on mine in Texas. I ordered the box.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

AwwJeah posted:

I have these potentiometers you speak of. I'm not really certain how I should properly make adjustments but I'll do some research and see if its a project I can tackle. Anyone have a decent guide they could point me to? For now my solution is folding a small piece tissue and wedging it between the spinning platform and the base.

If the pots are accessable through the platter all you do is adjust them a little bit, pop a strobe disc on the turntable (if you are in the US google 60hz strobe disc and download one of the many avaialble) and check the speed with each adjustment.

Ron Burgundy fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 18, 2012

rings of bonzo
Jan 15, 2012

by Ozmaugh

Not an Anthem posted:

Whatever floats your boat. Store them vertically. Most people keep them in 3 mil polyethylene sleeves (example here) to keep albums from wearing on each other and some semblance of dust out. You can buy bags in smaller quantities from local record stores.

Thanks

quote:

Tip for newcomers.. don't spend a lot on records. Those Beatles or Zeppelin records you think are a holy grail, aren't. I bought my Sabbath discography for a buck each maybe. Thrift and goodwill stores up and down the US have them in the 99 cent bin, so don't think you have to have money to do this (although welcome to a lovely money wormhole hobby). Its harder to find rare stuff for cheap for a multitude of reasons (more people collect, more records being made, more being thrown out/ground each year, etc) so don't get bummed out either. Enjoy the music and don't be some squabbly oval office on the internet fighting about purity of sound or why anyone should care what kind of music you listen to.

...but Led Zeppelin II Bob Ludwig master!

quote:

The arguments are about both analog to digital converters and recording analog vs recording digital. Meaningless for most people. It matters a lot to people in recording/bands and people on either side of the CD/record debate. Feel free to jump in, but honestly, why bother if you're not in the recording industry?

I'm actually an audiophile, and I've been curious for a while now about vinyl records. I've read too many biased articles though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

CPL593H posted:

Don't tell anyone, but I actually agree with the point he was making. But next time I'll run all my jokes by you.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Unless you're Dave Sitek from TV on the Radio I don't see why you'd respond that way.

Sorry about that. I read the posts haphazardly and responded quickly on my way out of work, and I was already in a really terrible mood about something unrelated to the thread. Not that it's an excuse for being a dickhead. I deserved that probation.

The oval office is me:(

Not an Anthem posted:

Please don't buy into this, its sentiment like this that supports the current PIPA/SOPA legislation. I'm not directing it at you, but you're repeating the music industry's empty rhetoric about copying.

I'm definitely not one to sympathize with Lars Ulrich or Gene Simmons' talking points, but it has to be a problem for independent acts and really small labels.

Case in point, my old roommate's dad used to run a tiny jazz/ethnographic/world/academic label for almost 20 years and had to pack it in after sales plummeted unsustainably over the last 6. By his estimate, pirated copies of their new releases outnumbered sales by a margin of 9 to 1 (disclosure: I have no idea how he arrived at it) And these were largely obscure (or of predominantly academic value) recordings that weren't exactly selling everywhere in the first place.

Ted Leo quit touring a while ago, because he purportedly couldn't afford to play music full time anymore (I'm not sure I buy that whole-hog). I'm not saying that it's a musician's express prerogative or right to live lavishly, or decently, or even exclusively on the income generated by his/her work, but I have a problem saying "welp, tour more and maybe keep your day job. It's the 21st Centureeee" so cavalierly.

Of course, one can argue that piracy=press and that turning a person who would never have bought your record in the first place onto your music can generate revenue through merch/concerts/etc, but at some point, the cost/benefit balance has to shift.

Or maybe I'm applying my film knowledge (where piracy has a clear and powerful impact on the indie market) to music and I'm full of crap. Either way, I hate SOPA/PIPA as much as any decent person and I wouldn't use this rhetoric to support them. I never said we should crack down on piracy or take measures to do so. I just said that I like buying records as a way to give the artist money, even if it means feeding the less wholesome aspects of the recording industry as well

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jan 19, 2012

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
I was under the impression that independent artists make all their money from touring and selling merch like shirts and poo poo. All the dudes I know who put their music out on vinyl did it because they just want to be out there, not to make any money.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

I was under the impression that independent artists make all their money from touring and selling merch like shirts and poo poo. All the dudes I know who put their music out on vinyl did it because they just want to be out there, not to make any money.

Yeah but it still costs money and it would be nice to at least recoup (is it spelled that way?) the manufacturing costs.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Ted Leo quit touring a while ago, because he purportedly couldn't afford to play music full time anymore (I'm not sure I buy that whole-hog). I'm not saying that it's a musician's express prerogative or right to live lavishly, or decently, or even exclusively on the income generated by his/her work, but I have a problem saying "welp, tour more and maybe keep your day job. It's the 21st Centureeee" so cavalierly.

What? I saw Ted twice in 2011.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Blast Fantasto posted:

What? I saw Ted twice in 2011.

And he's playing Chaos in Tejas in a couple months.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

a problem for independent acts and really small labels.
The acts you speak of aren't independent (technically speaking) nor small. I'm just saying its silly defending someone who makes a ton of money, are you in the same ship as they are or just a fan admiring their stars?

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Case in point, my old roommate's dad used to run a tiny jazz/ethnographic/world/academic label for almost 20 years and had to pack it in after sales plummeted unsustainably over the last 6. By his estimate, pirated copies of their new releases outnumbered sales by a margin of 9 to 1 (disclosure: I have no idea how he arrived at it) And these were largely obscure (or of predominantly academic value) recordings that weren't exactly selling everywhere in the first place.
Right, you're taking their word every step of the way. I mean, once something's ripped to MP3 it can float around the net a thousand times. Its a business decision that needs to be made, if pressing stuff that isn't in demand why be surprised that it doesn't work?

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Ted Leo quit touring a while ago, because he purportedly couldn't afford to play music full time anymore
I have friends in small independent bands who release their own stuff on their own label and they make money on tour. I'm talking three podunk kids who have been touring for almost ten years to get a name. They finally make money and go abroad etc. If they can do it, anyone with a big name can too- although if you have a big name like Ted Leo I'm sure you're keeping costs down.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

"welp, tour more and maybe keep your day job. It's the 21st Centureeee" so cavalierly.
I can because its the reality for anyone in a band, same for any other performance career (acting, etc).

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Or maybe I'm applying my film knowledge (where piracy has a clear and powerful impact on the indie market) to music and I'm full of crap.
Tons of independent directors, writers, producers encourage piracy to get their stuff out there. Its not indie that is fighting piracy. Its Hollywood. You're nuts, sorry :)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Who's Ted Leo?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

Jerry Cotton posted:

Who's Ted Leo?

A musician whose complaints about not making money might hold more credence if he hadn't been putting out lousy records since signing to Matador. Plus, he doesn't play his old (read: good) poo poo live anymore.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

theradiostillsucks posted:

A musician whose complaints about not making money might hold more credence if he hadn't been putting out lousy records since signing to Matador. Plus, he doesn't play his old (read: good) poo poo live anymore.

He played a lot of The Tyranny of Distance when I saw him (unless your referring to earlier stuff, I guess) and I thought The Brutalist Bricks was pretty good. Buuuut I don't want to turn this into a conversation about Ted Leo sooooo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Didn't Radiohead put out one of their albums for free a few years ago and it ended up selling really well after that?