Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

They will be crazy mushy. You shouldn't even refrigerate them. I freeze and thaw them when I make banana ice cream though. Hell, you can even puree a frozen banana to make an ice cream like treat.

Or eat them frozen like popsicles with a little chocolate syrup

Even better: Magic Shell instead of syrup

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The Peacock posted:

:golfclap:

Now I want to try this.

Question: Put bananas in the fridge, they froze (the fridge is wildly different temps from front to back)...I just took them out, should I expect any noticeable difference ie: mushier, weird texture?

This is stupid, I know, but if you claim you've never done anything stupid you're a liar so here we go.

In college we used to "fruit" each others doors, which consisted of stealing a bunch of fruit from the cafeteria and throwing it at someone's door as hard as possible.

One day I decided I'd freeze a banana, and thaw it and throw it since it would be all mushy. Then I said "hey what if I did this over and over?" The end result was a banana that I froze and unfroze dutifully three times a day for a month. At the end it was a brown gelatinous vaguely banana looking object. I threw it at my buddy's door and it vaporized, filling the entire hallway with the stench of decay.

Complete success. I'd advise against freezing a banana you plan to consume based on the data though.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
No, frozen bananas are awesome. You just need to make sure it stays frozen.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Splizwarf posted:

You're thinking of the tetrachloroethylene additive for making the alcohol dry faster, which has been illegal in US brake cleaners for at least a decade (for exactly the reason you're right about). They're just pressurized alcohol nowadays, in the US at least.

I am not a dolt, thank you. :colbert:

No, you moron. You can go right down to Grainger and pick up a can, or head over to amazon for one, or down to any of your neighborhood Napa, Carquest, Autozone, or similar auto parts stores for the same thing, unless you live in California. And if you do, you will be purchasing a product that contains both Tetrachloroethylene and Trichloroethylene. Now you may be thinking of the non-chloronated kind (the green can), which contains mostly acetone, which does not brake down into phosgene gas. However, it is better to not recommend that people clean their pots and pans when such an error could be made, especially when that error could result in them tasting chlorine for the rest of their short lives while they're fighting chronic bronchitis and emphysema.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Freezing is a great way to over ripe Banana's quickly for certain baking tasks, actually. Like banana bread or muffins

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I pre-slice and freeze bananas for making breakfast smoothies but they are in no way comparable or interchangeable with fresh.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Camembert posted:

Hey guys, I'm very new at cooking meat, but recently got it in my head that I was going to cook a whole chicken. So I have this chicken sitting in my fridge that I have to cook for tomorrow. However, now that I have started reading a few different things in this forum, it looks like most people use a meat thermometer? I grew up with horribly overcooked meat and my family never used one of these things, in fact, I didn't know there was such a thing before, so I don't have one. Unfortunately, due to my work schedule, there's no way that I'll be able to get to a store and purchase one before this thing needs to be cooked! Can anyone give me general times/oven temps/tips to cook a roughly 4lb chicken without a meat thermometer? I understand it'll probably be hard to tell when it's perfect, so it will probably be a bit overcooked, but I'll be sure to get a thermometer before I attempt another bird.
Stick the tip of a sharp knife in the meaty part of the drumstick/thigh. If the juices run clear, its done.

hokiehokiehokiehigh
Aug 3, 2007
tech tech vpi
Hi, I have about a pound of fresh mozzarella cheese. Is there anything simple I can make with it besides pizza and caprese salad?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

No, you moron. You can go right down to Grainger and pick up a can, or head over to amazon for one, or down to any of your neighborhood Napa, Carquest, Autozone, or similar auto parts stores for the same thing, unless you live in California. And if you do, you will be purchasing a product that contains both Tetrachloroethylene and Trichloroethylene. Now you may be thinking of the non-chloronated kind (the green can), which contains mostly acetone, which does not brake down into phosgene gas. However, it is better to not recommend that people clean their pots and pans when such an error could be made, especially when that error could result in them tasting chlorine for the rest of their short lives while they're fighting chronic bronchitis and emphysema.

Huh, learn something every day; looks like the percentage of alcohol is only up to ~25% on the MSDSes that I can find. I've never seen anything but the green cans and been told by management it was because "the good stuff is illegal now, like R12, thanks to California" (I'm in VA if that makes a difference). v:shobon:v

This argument is funny because I too was trying to say brake cleaner was a bad idea for cleaning pots. I still don't appreciate getting called an idiot repeatedly. Misinformed and stupid aren't the same thing.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Camembert posted:

Chicken

I roast chicken with Nigella's formula: 400F, 15 minutes per lb + 10 minutes.

Also, rub the cavity with salt and pepper and 5 spice powder (optional), fill with onions and garlic. Smudge an herb butter under the skin if you're determined, and roast it breast side down for 30 min, and flip it breast side up after.

Not too much butter, or your kitchen will smoke.

edit: never had to use a thermometer, never had an undercooked chicken doing this.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
I'm making Thomas Keller's braised short ribs, but am a bit stumped. The original recipe calls for 'boneless chuck short ribs', and I'm unable to find out exactly what this cut is. Danish primal cuts are apparently a bit different than US ones, and I've been unable to find a proper description of where, exactly, this cut comes from. Mostly there's just a picture of the whole chuck and an arrow, which doesn't really do much.

Anyone able to help?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I know the goulash talk was a few pages back, but I'm hoping to make it sometime this week. I see white wine tends to be favoured, is there any real amount I should aim for? Should I make it the entire cooking liquid or add water/stock too?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

hokiehokiehokiehigh posted:

Hi, I have about a pound of fresh mozzarella cheese. Is there anything simple I can make with it besides pizza and caprese salad?
Pasta al telefono! This is also as easy as cooking some pasta, heating up prepared tomato sauce, and then stirring the whole mess together with chopped up mozzarella cheese. It's called "telephone style" because the long strings of melted cheese are like telephone wires, or something!

VV That works too. Basically hot melty mozzarella on pasta is a good thing.

The Macaroni fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 18, 2012

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
/\ I second the pasta, but without tomato sauce. Take a few tablespoons of olive oil, lightly fry some garlic with crushed red pepper flakes, black pepper, pinch of oregano and salt, stir in hot cooked spaghetti and mix until it's coated with the oil, then toss in the mozzarella. If they're big chunks, cut them into half-inch cubes

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Looking to make some hummus and having trouble finding tahini in a reasonable sized container (found some 36oz monster, which might be overkill for only using a tablespoon at a time). I have a few local markets that I'll check out later to see if their selection is better. Making my own tahini is not an option at this point.

I have heard that peanut butter can be used in a pinch, but I currently have a very sweet PB on hand (Honey Roasted Skippy), and again, don't want to buy much larger than what I'll need if I can help it.

1) Can I sub in the sweet PB for tahini, and if so, should I increase the ammount of lemon or garlic to compensate?

2) Is either necessary? Could I forego adding either paste with a minimal loss of flavor/texture?

3) If I break down and buy the big container of tahini, can I freeze it for storage, or will the oil get funny?

TIA

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
I went back around 20 pages in this thread and looked back a few pages of the forum and havent found any sort of "new to cooking" thread/guide. What are the good books that can teach various techniques/the actual art of cooking? A book on amazon called "On food and cooking" seems to be good, but is there something better/more beginner oriented? I also saw a book just called "Cooking" by James Patterson that seemed decent.

Vomik fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 18, 2012

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

CzarChasm posted:

I have heard that peanut butter can be used in a pinch, but I currently have a very sweet PB on hand (Honey Roasted Skippy)

I wouldn't recommend using a processed peanut butter at all. The natural peanut butter works just fine (when I picked up a jar of tahini my first thought was "huh, natural sesame butter").

Some recipes suggest that tahini can be dropped out of a hummus recipe, but I really like the toasted flavor it gives.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

CzarChasm posted:

Looking to make some hummus and having trouble finding tahini in a reasonable sized container (found some 36oz monster, which might be overkill for only using a tablespoon at a time). I have a few local markets that I'll check out later to see if their selection is better. Making my own tahini is not an option at this point.

I have heard that peanut butter can be used in a pinch, but I currently have a very sweet PB on hand (Honey Roasted Skippy), and again, don't want to buy much larger than what I'll need if I can help it.

1) Can I sub in the sweet PB for tahini, and if so, should I increase the ammount of lemon or garlic to compensate?

2) Is either necessary? Could I forego adding either paste with a minimal loss of flavor/texture?

3) If I break down and buy the big container of tahini, can I freeze it for storage, or will the oil get funny?

TIA

Tahini will keep for a long, long time. I don't know about freezing, but it's safe to keep in the fridge for at least a year after you open it. There's tons of stuff you can make with tahini in that time.

The only thing I can think of that you could sub for tahini is sesame oil.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Vomik, on Food and Cooking is an excellent book but does not focus on techniques or the art of cooking. It's... broader? Take a look at the reviews for a better explanation. I give it as a Christmas present pretty often to cooking friends; you'd probably enjoy and benefit from it but it's not the book you're asking for. Not sure what is, I got started with The Joy of Cooking and a caterer for a mother. Joy might be a good choice, actually; you want a book that isn't just recipes and pictures, you want explanations of terms, techniques, what foods are and how they will interact, and so on.

CzarChasm, if you're already using a food processor you can sub sesame seeds and some sesame oil for the tahini (you'll need to add some of the garbanzos to give purchase to the blade). I like to roast them in the oil beforehand. It takes a lot of seeds, though, real tahini might be a cheaper solution. I'd drop the tahini before I'd add Skippy, although adding roasted peanuts might be good (food processor again).

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Dane posted:

I'm making Thomas Keller's braised short ribs, but am a bit stumped. The original recipe calls for 'boneless chuck short ribs', and I'm unable to find out exactly what this cut is. Danish primal cuts are apparently a bit different than US ones, and I've been unable to find a proper description of where, exactly, this cut comes from. Mostly there's just a picture of the whole chuck and an arrow, which doesn't really do much.

Anyone able to help?
Imgur is down, and I apparently don't know how to do attachments. Anyway, the chuck is the front shoulder region. If you're looking at a side of beef, it's the part that's closest to the front and top of the former cow. If you cut a section through the cow to separate the front from the back, and you cut it just after the fifth rib (I think five is the correct number) then the front section would contain the chuck primal on top, and the fore shank and brisket underneath. Divide these, and the bottom third or so of the chuck primal is the chuck short ribs, which would be divided/portioned for retail sale.

Regular old short ribs are further back on the animal. If you took another section off the animal now and made the cut just after I think it's the twelfth rib, then you'd have the rib primal (containing the rib eyes, rib roasts, and so on) on top and the short plate on bottom. The top edge of the short plate is where short ribs come from, and the rest is usally used for ground beef or those pre-cut cubes on styrofoam that you see sold as stewing beef.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

CzarChasm posted:

Amazon has good quality tahini in various sizes. If your local markets are not convenient or you're not convinced that their stock is fresh, check out Amazon.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I found my tahini in a reasonably sized canister in the kosher (but probably also halal) section.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Vomik posted:

I went back around 20 pages in this thread and looked back a few pages of the forum and havent found any sort of "new to cooking" thread/guide. What are the good books that can teach various techniques/the actual art of cooking? A book on amazon called "On food and cooking" seems to be good, but is there something better/more beginner oriented? I also saw a book just called "Cooking" by James Patterson that seemed decent.

I like this book a lot for simple techniques:
How to Cook Everything, by
Mark Bittman

Alton Brown has a good way of relating techniques to laymen too, if you want to see some videos; his "Good Eats" series is excellent, even though he is a little annoying.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
His hyuk hyuk comedy is easy to look past

I'm new to cooking (started a year ago) and my favorite resource has been getting a subscription to America's Test Kitchen. It's focused on being practical, unlike Good Eats which is a lot of food theory (although still very interesting), and they test dozens of recipes in order to find out which worked best for any particular dish. They have their entire history of episodes on their website which makes it a lot easier to follow as they go along.

After you get your sea legs you can drop it and switch to Cook's Illustrated which is the Big Kids version of ATK, owned by the same people. It has a lot more recipes and reviews, but doesn't have the nice follow-as-you-cook videos.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 18, 2012

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

SubG posted:

Imgur is down, and I apparently don't know how to do attachments. Anyway, the chuck is the front shoulder region. If you're looking at a side of beef, it's the part that's closest to the front and top of the former cow. If you cut a section through the cow to separate the front from the back, and you cut it just after the fifth rib (I think five is the correct number) then the front section would contain the chuck primal on top, and the fore shank and brisket underneath. Divide these, and the bottom third or so of the chuck primal is the chuck short ribs, which would be divided/portioned for retail sale.

Regular old short ribs are further back on the animal. If you took another section off the animal now and made the cut just after I think it's the twelfth rib, then you'd have the rib primal (containing the rib eyes, rib roasts, and so on) on top and the short plate on bottom. The top edge of the short plate is where short ribs come from, and the rest is usally used for ground beef or those pre-cut cubes on styrofoam that you see sold as stewing beef.

So the chuck short ribs would be - roughly - the front part of what's called "TVÆRREB" on this poster? http://www.lettenordiske.dk/OpskriftKategorier/Tips%20og%20tricks/~/media/Images/LetteNordiske/Tips/A4_Okse_LF.ashx

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

TIA

If there is only a tablespoon of tahini in your hummus you're doing it wrong.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Psychobabble posted:

If there is only a tablespoon of tahini in your hummus you're doing it wrong.

Agreed. I use about 1/2 cup for two cans of chickpeas. Tastes a little strongly of tahini right after blending, but smooths out deliciously by the next day.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Dane posted:

So the chuck short ribs would be - roughly - the front part of what's called "TVÆRREB" on this poster? http://www.lettenordiske.dk/OpskriftKategorier/Tips%20og%20tricks/~/media/Images/LetteNordiske/Tips/A4_Okse_LF.ashx
No, that's what I'd call regular old short ribs. The way the primals are segregated in that diagram, what I'd call the chuck short ribs are actually on the shank primal, which is cut higher (so there's more on the shank and less on the chuck) than I'm used to. So the chuck short ribs would be, on that diagram, at the top of the shank. Here, I can't include the image but there's a diagram here that I got out of a GIS that reflects the fabrication that I'd expect. The chuck short ribs are labelled 3 and 4 (upper leftmost primal, labelled Chuck) in that diagram. The regular old short ribs are labelled 1 (in the lower, second from the left primal, labelled Short Plate).

Edit for clarity.

SubG fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 18, 2012

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Didn't have the recipe on hand, just knew I needed tahini and decided to check out local shops at lunch. Will review recipe when I get home, if I'm going to use 1/4 cup or better at a stretch then maybe a big jar is worth the investment, even if I only make it a few times a year.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Thanks, SubG. Now I know! A little worried that I'd have to pay too much though, if it interferes with their regular cuts. Ah well, we'll see.

CrystalRose
Sep 16, 2006

I like sparkly things
Refreezing Question

My landlord showed up yesterday with a bunch of frozen pork for me and my husband. He raises pigs and had some butchered a few weeks back. The pork was frozen. Since it was frozen together I had to let the whole thing thaw. I cooked about half of it tonight, but I still have uncooked pork left. I know you are not supposed to refreeze meet after it’s thawed but I don’t want to leave it in my fridge for too long. Can I cook it and then freeze it? It's already been in my fridge, thawed, for 24hrs. I really don’t want this to go to waste!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

CrystalRose posted:

Refreezing Question

My landlord showed up yesterday with a bunch of frozen pork for me and my husband. He raises pigs and had some butchered a few weeks back. The pork was frozen. Since it was frozen together I had to let the whole thing thaw. I cooked about half of it tonight, but I still have uncooked pork left. I know you are not supposed to refreeze meet after it’s thawed but I don’t want to leave it in my fridge for too long. Can I cook it and then freeze it? It's already been in my fridge, thawed, for 24hrs. I really don’t want this to go to waste!

It isn't unsafe to refreeze thawed meat, but it will affect the texture (somewhat) negatively. If the choice is throw it away or freeze, go with freeze.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Ingredient surplus question. I happen to have a bunch of really good cinnamon bread. Thanks to my girlfriend working at the bakery it's from I will probably continue to have a bunch on hand. I've already made cinnamon french toast with it a few times but I'm trying to come up with alternative uses. Anyone have any creative suggestions? I generally prefer savory over sweet and would love to know any savory dishes it could be used for as well, but all are welcome. Thanks!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Dane posted:

Thanks, SubG. Now I know! A little worried that I'd have to pay too much though, if it interferes with their regular cuts. Ah well, we'll see.
Then just go for regular short ribs. I assume the reason a recipe would call for chuck short ribs instead is that you're going to be cooking them in such a way that you can get away with using what's usually a less desirable cut of beef.

One of the distinctive things about short ribs is that they have a denser, less bright flavour than most of the `high class' cuts of beef. This is because the meat is shot through with connective tissue. Normally this makes it undesirable for most culinary purposes, as it makes the meat, all else being equal, tougher than most beef is. Braising and---now famously because of Keller's popularisation of the technique---sous vizzling short ribs are ways to get all that rich flavour while rendering the meat tender enough to be palatable.

All of this applies pretty much equally to the chuck short ribs and the regular short ribs. The chuck short ribs tend, on average, to be smaller (being from the first five ribs instead of the large ribs further back on the cow) and have somewhat more connective tissue---there tends to be more sinewy stuff in the meat at the end of the rib, so if you make the ribs shorter, you get proportionally more sinewy stuff. So in general you'd be going to them if you were cheaping out or if you were planning on cooking them longer and wetter than a night with Pr0k's Mom. If the Keller recipe calls for them specifically, that's probably what he's saying---the technique he's describing will work with even the normally least desirable meat.

I really wouldn't sweat it either way. If you were super worried about lowering the proportion of connective tissue in the dish (and therefore lowering the amount of collagen to be converted into gelatine during cooking) you could kick it back up by adding a hunk of oxtail or a piece of cross-shank or something else you'd probably use for stock- or soup-making.

Emmjay
Aug 3, 2009

if you don't get the job/promotion/salary increase you want, getting your parents to ring me and complain will absolutely change the outcome

lifts cats over head posted:

Ingredient surplus question. I happen to have a bunch of really good cinnamon bread. Thanks to my girlfriend working at the bakery it's from I will probably continue to have a bunch on hand. I've already made cinnamon french toast with it a few times but I'm trying to come up with alternative uses. Anyone have any creative suggestions? I generally prefer savory over sweet and would love to know any savory dishes it could be used for as well, but all are welcome. Thanks!

Isn't cinnamon bread already fairly sweet?

I bet it would make an awesome bread and butter pudding though. Cut it in fairly thick slices, arrange it in a baking dish with some mixed berries, top with custard (made pretty runny so it soaks into the bread) and bake until the custard mixture thickens and sets. Serve with cream and/or icecream.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I want an ice crusher. A manual ice crusher.

http://www.amazon.com/Metrokane-Retro-Crusher-Stainless-Steel-Chrome/dp/B000YDCWDQ/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1326936525&sr=8-11

Like that. Only I want one that doesn't suck rear end and doesn't cost $50. Am I hosed? All I want to do is chew on ice. I just hate giant chunks and I'm tired of bashing my counter with a hammer.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Emmjay posted:

Isn't cinnamon bread already fairly sweet?

I bet it would make an awesome bread and butter pudding though. Cut it in fairly thick slices, arrange it in a baking dish with some mixed berries, top with custard (made pretty runny so it soaks into the bread) and bake until the custard mixture thickens and sets. Serve with cream and/or icecream.

It's fairly sweet, but not overwhelming. I guess what I meant to say was I'm not really a dessert guy so I'd prefer to use it in some other manner if possible.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Metrokane-Retro-Crusher-Stainless-Steel-Chrome/dp/B000YDCWDQ/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1326936525&sr=8-11

Like that. Only I want one that doesn't suck rear end and doesn't cost $50. Am I hosed? All I want to do is chew on ice. I just hate giant chunks and I'm tired of bashing my counter with a hammer.

Well, wouldn't the simplest answer be to just buy different ice cube trays?

There's hundreds of possibilities out there, I'm sure you could find one that has either really really small cubes, or chewable shapes.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

For the same money you can get a blender that crushes ice and also does other stuff

edit: oh yeah, and ice cubette trays would work too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmjay
Aug 3, 2009

if you don't get the job/promotion/salary increase you want, getting your parents to ring me and complain will absolutely change the outcome

lifts cats over head posted:

It's fairly sweet, but not overwhelming. I guess what I meant to say was I'm not really a dessert guy so I'd prefer to use it in some other manner if possible.

Hmmm, ok. The only other way I can think to use it at the moment is on a cheese platter with some really bitey stinky cheese. Slice it really thin and toast it so it's crisp, top with thin sliced pear and some yummy pungent cheese of some persuasion.

I haven't specifically eaten cinnamon bread that way but I reckon it would work...and now I want cheese.