Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Cichlidae posted:

I got a wonderful email today!

WE HAVE BEEN ASKED IF WE WOULD LIKE TO UPDATE OUR TRAFFIC LOGO SO I AM LOOKING FOR SOME SUGGESTIONS FROM OUR USERS. THE NEW ONE SHOULD BE SIMILAR IN SIZE. CURRENT LOGO SHOWN BELOW.

If you have any ideas, I'd be glad to forward them. The logo should be in black and white, as it gets printed on every single plan we do.

:effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Koesj posted:

drat that looks so cool.

How did you get my picture?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
what does CADD stand for?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Heh, that old one sure does looks like the kind of logo people whip up in AutoCAD.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Mandalay posted:

what does CADD stand for?

Computer Aided Design and Drafting.

smackfu posted:

Heh, that old one sure does looks like the kind of logo people whip up in AutoCAD.

Believe it or not, the old CADD workstations used to look just like that. Doesn't make it any less 80s.

60 Hertz Jig
May 21, 2006

From http://xkcd.com/253/

Edit: Added 'Divison of Traffic Engineering'

60 Hertz Jig fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 13, 2012

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

60 Hertz Jig posted:

From http://xkcd.com/253/

welp

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Cichlidae posted:

I got a wonderful email today!

WE HAVE BEEN ASKED IF WE WOULD LIKE TO UPDATE OUR TRAFFIC LOGO SO I AM LOOKING FOR SOME SUGGESTIONS FROM OUR USERS. THE NEW ONE SHOULD BE SIMILAR IN SIZE. CURRENT LOGO SHOWN BELOW.

If you have any ideas, I'd be glad to forward them. The logo should be in black and white, as it gets printed on every single plan we do.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

License this image and put it at the top of every press release.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

60 Hertz Jig posted:

Might hang this one up on my wall, or sneak it into a random signal plan to see who notices.

GWBBQ posted:

License this image and put it at the top of every press release.

I can't think of a single situation where this wouldn't be a great idea.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Cichlidae posted:

Evening peak with 25% growth.

I drove through it twice today, and even at 2 pm, traffic is very rough.
What's with the blue car driving sideways?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

grover posted:

Poor guy needs badly to get right, but couldn't find a gap. Luckily for him, there was a momentary slowdown in traffic, so he slowly nudged into the adjacent lane... only to have traffic clear up and leaving him to look like an idiot.

If I'd taken the screencap a second later, he'd be gone.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I'm glad that we have computer simulations for human stupidity.

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'

:pseudo:

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib

grover posted:

The Fast and the Furious: Hartford Drift

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Cichlidae posted:

Believe it or not, the old CADD workstations used to look just like that. Doesn't make it any less 80s.
Do you guys use printers or plotters? Just asking because plotters means really black and white, not greyscale.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Airconswitch posted:

:pseudo:

But I would hope that all roads they design are easily passable :ohdear:

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

smackfu posted:

Do you guys use printers or plotters? Just asking because plotters means really black and white, not greyscale.

Plotters. Our plotters can handle grayscale just fine, incidentally, but we're looking for something that can be easily reproduced, which pretty much means black and white.

Nevertheless, I sent that one to our drafting guy, and he says it's a good candidate.

So, for those still interested in the interchange, here's what I've come up with:

It works very smoothly with 2040 volumes. LOS C or better, I'd say.

And, in other news, I am REDACTED

Cichlidae fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 14, 2012

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cichlidae posted:

And, in other news,

Unless this happens with regularity to your department you might want to redact that immediately, because that's probably enough to figure out who you are even without linking to anything.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
That's a cool design, what's the timetable for this project?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Koesj posted:

That's a cool design, what's the timetable for this project?

2040 or so. A long way out, for sure, but I'll still be around.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Cichlidae posted:

Plotters. Our plotters can handle grayscale just fine, incidentally, but we're looking for something that can be easily reproduced, which pretty much means black and white.

Nevertheless, I sent that one to our drafting guy, and he says it's a good candidate.

At thumbnail size, it looks like nerd Dracula.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Cichlidae posted:

And, in other news, I am REDACTED

:ohdear:

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Mandalay posted:

:ohdear:

Naw, it's nothing bad :) Just establishing cred at the office. Construction and Project Concepts Unit really want me to transfer over to them. Honestly, PCU would be like a dream job, and I'd really like to shoot for that. It's exactly the stuff we talk about most in this thread: working on a bunch of alternative designs for large-scale stuff, no details.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Cichlidae posted:

Naw, it's nothing bad :) Just establishing cred at the office. Construction and Project Concepts Unit really want me to transfer over to them. Honestly, PCU would be like a dream job, and I'd really like to shoot for that. It's exactly the stuff we talk about most in this thread: working on a bunch of alternative designs for large-scale stuff, no details.

Thank God our fearless protagonist is safe from being fired. It was pretty scary when you were Left 4 Dead last year ;)

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib

Cichlidae posted:

This is why I got into transportation planning (which is even more conceptual than this) rather than sticking with civil engineering. Drawing lines on maps is fun; designing curbs and gutters isn't.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

What do you think of this cracked article, mainly the idea that 1 second more to each yellow light would reduce collisions by a very respectable average of 40 percent, and eliminate left turns.

(I think the answer is actually smarter drivers because it's people who are dumb not the designs, but its interesting)

removing road signs all-together seems very unorthodox, but it worked for that town apparently.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Elendil004 posted:

What do you think of this cracked article, mainly the idea that 1 second more to each yellow light would reduce collisions by a very respectable average of 40 percent, and eliminate left turns.

From what I remember it was brought up early on in the thread, and Cichlidae said something like as soon as people get used to the longer yellow they're comfortable with running it again and it goes back to just how it was.

Correct me if I'm wrong. :ohdear:

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

This is why I got into transportation planning (which is even more conceptual than this) rather than sticking with civil engineering. Drawing lines on maps is fun; designing curbs and gutters isn't.

I want your job.

DogGunn
Feb 2, 2009
Thanks for this thread. It's awesome!

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Elendil004 posted:

(I think the answer is actually smarter drivers because it's people who are dumb not the designs, but its interesting)

removing road signs all-together seems very unorthodox, but it worked for that town apparently.

For adding a second to the yellow times, as less than three remembered, it's not a good long-term solution. The safest signal systems would have a three-second yellow time, with the all-red interval extended for higher approach speeds.

Eliminating road signs is actually a very good thing, at least to some extent. We certainly have too many out there. The problem is, it's hard to get rid of them. People tend to complain quite a bit when their "school bus stop ahead" sign bites the dust.

DogGunn posted:

Thanks for this thread. It's awesome!

You're very welcome! I hope to keep things interesting as best I can.

DogGunn
Feb 2, 2009
I'm wondering if you had seen this old Melbourne intersection?
(Elizabeth St, Flemington Rd, Peel St)

This is how it was back in 2009. No traffic controls other than a give way line, and terribly inadequate signage. You'd know who wasn't a local because they'd be swerving across 2 different lanes.

Not only that, there were trams that go straight through the middle of it and up the side, which you also had to give way to, and they'd hoon on through it, with no regard for any other (idiot) road user that might be in their way.

It was one of Melbourne's worst intersections for minor incidents, and still is pretty bad (signs are even worse now), even with all the changes (such as traffic signals), side roads etc.

How would you have recommended fixed up something like this?

Also have you ever used the SCATS system? Seems to be pretty complicated compared to some other ones, such as the ability for emergency services to give preference to roads ahead of time to ensure a clearer run.

DogGunn fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 18, 2012

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

DogGunn posted:

I'm wondering if you had seen this old Melbourne intersection?
(Elizabeth St, Flemington Rd, Peel St)

This is how it was back in 2009. No traffic controls other than a give way line, and terribly inadequate signage. You'd know who wasn't a local because they'd be swerving across 2 different lanes.

Not only that, there were trams that go straight through the middle of it and up the side, which you also had to give way to, and they'd hoon on through it, with no regard for any other (idiot) road user that might be in their way.

It was one of Melbourne's worst intersections for minor incidents, and still is pretty bad (signs are even worse now), even with all the changes (such as traffic signals), side roads etc.

How would you have recommended fixed up something like this?

Man, that's one heck of a mess. I can tell just by looking where there are a lot of accidents. What they did to fix it up seems decent, but there's not a whole lot that could be done without burying the tram tracks.

DogGunn posted:

Also have you ever used the SCATS system? Seems to be pretty complicated compared to some other ones, such as the ability for emergency services to give preference to roads ahead of time to ensure a clearer run.

SCATS is highly looked upon by ITS professionals. However, at least in Connecticut, we don't have anything that comes close. To be fair, though, we don't have even block lengths anywhere, which is where a system like SCATS would see the most benefit.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What do the squiggly consummate-v lines on the roads mean?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
Another day, another 8 hours in VISSIM. I've put together 3 different alternatives for the interchange, plus a joke option I called "The Nuclear Option" where I just jammed all the traffic into one wide road for a mile, and a Diverging Diamond Interchange (DDI).

Alternate A: Minimal weaving, 4 ramp termini, and that one ramp from 15N to 91N could be slid up/down a bit to eliminate one of the bridges. Uses some existing roadways. 6 off-ramps total.

Alternate B: Minimal weaving, 3 ramp termini. Mostly new infrastructure. 7 off-ramps total.

Alternate C: No weaving, smallest footprint, re-uses some existing roadways, off-ramp from 91S moved southward, no loop ramp from 15S. 6 off-ramps total.

All three of these flow wonderfully, no problems at all. Personally, I like C the best. There are plenty of reasons to love it. I think it even has the fewest new structures.

And then there's...

Alternate TNO: Everything's jammed together; hopefully one mile is long enough to make the weave less painful. It's eight lanes each direction (9 at one point) to fit the 11000+ vph peak hour flow. Mostly new roads, itty bitty footprint, 4 off-ramps, 2 ramp termini. Diverging. Diamond. Interchange.

And, believe it or not, the grade-separated DDI works beautifully! I was a bit worried about the weave, but at slow speeds (~40mph), there's no problem at all. Absolutely beautiful, and it's much smaller than the equivalent signals (with triple left turn lanes) would need to be. Heck, I even over-built it; the outer lanes aren't necessary.

Other than the DDI, let's see how this alternate fares. What's that big bunch of colors in the distance?

Let it be known: One mile is NOT enough. Not nearly. Too bad!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

drat I want to play with that program. I'm sure people have asked before but what is it and how hard is it to use?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Baronjutter posted:

drat I want to play with that program. I'm sure people have asked before but what is it and how hard is it to use?

It's VISSIM 5.4, also known as Verkehr In Staedten SIMulationsmodell. It's something you hate a lot at first, but eventually grow to hate less. The interface is counterintuitive, there's no undo function, the older versions crash constantly, you need to set everything manually, and you have to pay extra for pedestrians, transit, or dynamic routing. And a lot of its error boxes are in German, but I speak German, so it's all good.

Give it a try :)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cichlidae posted:

It's VISSIM 5.4, also known as Verkehr In Staedten SIMulationsmodell. It's something you hate a lot at first, but eventually grow to hate less. The interface is counterintuitive, there's no undo function, the older versions crash constantly, you need to set everything manually, and you have to pay extra for pedestrians, transit, or dynamic routing. And a lot of its error boxes are in German, but I speak German, so it's all good.

Give it a try :)

It also shows all of those cars keeping right. I wonder if they have an "American" option where traffic has a slight tendancy to keep left, instead of trying to keep right as much as possible.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Volmarias posted:

It also shows all of those cars keeping right. I wonder if they have an "American" option where traffic has a slight tendancy to keep left, instead of trying to keep right as much as possible.

They're trying to stay in the right lanes, which exit. Overall, they don't have a tendency to stay in either lane particularly. I can make them do so, though, in the driving behavior settings for the link type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Baronjutter posted:

What do the squiggly consummate-v lines on the roads mean?

slow down