Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

tuyop posted:

Heh, my pay gets screwed up regularly.

I've been in for almost five years at this point, for the first four my pays varied wildly from -200 every two weeks for a 9 month stint (yeah they actually withdrew money from my chequing account), to 24 000 one time because someone placed a wrong zero somewhere. In this five year time period, I'd say there is maybe a cumulative 18 months of correct paycheques, and every issue takes weeks or months to get sorted out. Most recently I was being charged 800 dollars a month for quarters and rations that I wasn't supposed to be paying, this took two months to fix. It's spectacular.

HR Government wide is that bad. Every once in a while I'll go in to see that I have a mystery pay-stub on my desk, open it, and see that its for $0.65 or something. They haven't missed any of my cheques since they got me sorted out at the beginning, but any rate changes, deduction changes or the like take months for them to figure out. In my ~3 years I don't think I've received two paycheques exactly alike. Don't even get me started on the extra-duty paperwork...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Desi posted:

The biggest, most glaring, draw back I have on my application is my education. I have a Political Science degree (which they told me is still okay) but by GPA was... not stellar.

Doesn't matter much if at all from what I've seen of DEO applicants. You have a degree.

The two ROTP guys at my school are doing geography and political science respectively, I'm doing a double major in psychology and philosophy. Moreover, the subsidized education manager isn't all that concerned about GPA as long as we pass - we're not DEO obviously but it's basically the way it goes, marks aren't all that important outside of high school applicants. Your work experience and achievements will be a lot more important.

I'd say any sport is good to pick up, the team aspect is just more analogous to the military experience.

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
Really?

http://www.heroesforce.com/

edit: the Navy HEROESFORCE has a beard I'm so going to buy one after work tomorrow

Gay but Spooky fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 15, 2012

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

compressioncut posted:

Doesn't matter much if at all from what I've seen of DEO applicants. You have a degree.

The two ROTP guys at my school are doing geography and political science respectively, I'm doing a double major in psychology and philosophy. Moreover, the subsidized education manager isn't all that concerned about GPA as long as we pass - we're not DEO obviously but it's basically the way it goes, marks aren't all that important outside of high school applicants. Your work experience and achievements will be a lot more important.

I'd say any sport is good to pick up, the team aspect is just more analogous to the military experience.

Cool, my work experience most definitely outshines my transcript so that helps. As for sports, to be honest I've wanted to take up boxing but its not a team sport. Maybe I'll see if I can revive our loosely organized beer-league soccer group from years ago, better than nothing!

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.

Frosted Flake posted:

I've been trying to get into 33 CBG as a reservist since even before I moved to Ottawa this past September. I have a current CFAT and Medical from a previous ROTP application but the process keeps dragging.

What steps can I take to be proactive? I really don't want to miss intake because I took to long or missed the deadline for a reserve trade.

Do you have a contact at the reserve unit you're trying to join? If not, one of the best things you can do is get in touch with that unit's recruiting cell and let them know about your situation as it stands. The more people you have in your corner pushing your file, the better. If you can, try and show up in person on an evening when they're parading so they can put a face to your name. It really makes a difference.

Other than that. Give the occasional call to the recruiting centre and your unit of choice and ask for an update on your file. Patience is a virtue when it comes to the military. I've got a friend whose trying to go back to the Regs and his constant badgering is the only thing moving his paperwork along.

If you're in Ottawa and you're joining the infantry, I hope it's the Camerons.

Barrakketh fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 16, 2012

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.

Red Beaver posted:

Really?

http://www.heroesforce.com/

edit: the Navy HEROESFORCE has a beard I'm so going to buy one after work tomorrow

I hope they make an accessory kit for the navy guy with NCDs, warbags, and a little Tim Horton's cup.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Remember how every talks about the training backlog for pilots? Well, they're sending me to Portage for PFT this summer. That's two years sooner than even the ideal. It's supposed to be after third year.

Desi, take up boxing if you want. It's competitive and aggressive and a good fitness program and is good for motor skills and all that stuff. It's still relevant.

My disclaimer is that I'm not a recruiter and my experience of selection is just my participation in the process.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

HammerOfHope posted:

I hope they make an accessory kit for the navy guy with NCDs, warbags, and a little Tim Horton's cup.

Don't forget fighting paunch.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Lt. Jebus posted:

Don't forget fighting paunch.

More correct naval term is "shitlocker."

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

compressioncut posted:

Remember how every talks about the training backlog for pilots? Well, they're sending me to Portage for PFT this summer. That's two years sooner than even the ideal. It's supposed to be after third year.

Desi, take up boxing if you want. It's competitive and aggressive and a good fitness program and is good for motor skills and all that stuff. It's still relevant.

My disclaimer is that I'm not a recruiter and my experience of selection is just my participation in the process.

Enjoy that G120! The flight school I got my PPL at has a couple of G115s and they are supposed to be a lot of fun to throw around. Must be pretty stoked to knock two years off the training wait, hopefully this means that there will be some DEO spots this year.

Regarding your disclaimer, I certainly understand that. It's nice to hear honest opinions from someone on the inside though, so definitely appreciate it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

compressioncut posted:

When I was applying for ROTP, they leveraged my fencing experience heavily. (I was team captain for the NS Canada Games team... in 2003) Even though I hadn't competed or fenced at all in two years at that point. I also told them I was into powerlifting and crossfit as "sports". Fencing and weightlifting aren't exactly team sports, I think they're just looking for some evidence that you've embraced fitness in your life and can get along with people in stressful environments. :iiam:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
So, anyone hear about that naval IntO from Halifax who's being charged with selling information to "a foreign entity"?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Here's the article

Yahoo News posted:

HALIFAX - A Canadian navy intelligence officer has been charged with communicating information to a foreign entity in a case the RCMP commissioner says is an indication that Canada is not immune to threats of espionage.

Jeffrey Paul Delisle, 40, appeared in Halifax provincial court on Monday on two charges under the Security of Information Act that deal with communicating information over the past five years that could harm Canada's interests.

The Defence Department said Delisle is a sub-lieutenant in the navy and an intelligence officer. Defence sources say he worked at CFB Stadacona's Trinity section, a naval communications and intelligence centre in Halifax that was a multi-national base with access to secret data from NATO countries.

A source said the Canadian Forces counter-intelligence branch is conducting a damage assessment as a result of this case.

RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson issued a statement on the charges, but didn't reveal any details about what information is alleged to have been disclosed.

"Notwithstanding the seriousness of these charges, the RCMP is not aware of any threat to public safety at this time from this situation," he said.

"This investigation demonstrates that Canada is not immune to threats posed by foreign entities wishing to undermine Canadian sovereignty.

"We must be ever vigilant to the real threat of foreign espionage, and continue investing time and resources into the prevention, detection, investigation and prosecution of such acts."

Court documents say one of the alleged offences happened between July 6, 2007, and Jan. 13, 2012, while the other offence is alleged to have happened between Jan. 10, 2012, and Jan. 13, 2012.

The Halifax-area man also faces a breach of trust charge under the Criminal Code that is alleged to have happened between July 6, 2007, and Jan. 13, 2012.

All the offences are alleged to have happened in or near Halifax, Ottawa and Kingston, Ont.

While a copy of the charges allege information was passed to a foreign entity, the section of the act under which Delisle is charged also says the offence can include communicating information to a terrorist group. The act says anyone convicted of the offence Delisle is charged with faces life in prison.

Cameron MacKeen, who is listed in court documents as Delisle's lawyer, could not be reached for comment.

Sources say Delisle joined the navy as a reservist in 1996, then became a member of the regular forces in 2001, and was promoted to an officer rank in 2008 after it is alleged he passed on information.

At his court appearance on Monday, Delisle was ordered to remain in custody and is due back in court on Tuesday.

The Security of Information Act was passed by the House of Commons after the terrorist attacks on the United States on Sept. 11, 2001, and replaced the Official Secrets Act. The RCMP say the charges against Delisle mark the first time that anyone has been charged under that section of the act.

An expert in security matters said even when espionage activity is suspected in Canada, it rarely ends in criminal prosecution.

"There are other techniques that we use to try to break up such activities to ensure the people involved know they're under surveillance or sent back to their home countries or something," said Wesley Wark, a professor at the University of Toronto.

Speaking about such cases in general, Wark said the risk of revealing classified information in court can prevent the authorities from laying charges.

"The game has to be worth the candle," he said.

Wark said the Official Secrets Act was also rarely used.

The only time he could recall a serving military member being charged under the Official Secrets Act dates back to the Igor Gouzenko affair in 1945. Wark said a Canadian squadron leader was charged with providing unauthorized training maps to the Soviet authorities, but was later acquitted.

Gouzenko, a Soviet cipher, defected from the Soviet embassy, bringing with him documents containing information that helped expose the existence of an espionage network operating in North America. His defection resulted in 20 espionage trials and nine convictions.

Paulson said the investigation involved the Canadian Security Intelligence Service, the Canadian Forces and the Canada Border Services Agency.

"Through their dedication and commitment, the men and women of the RCMP who worked diligently on this investigation, have made a difference in the safety and security of Canadians and the protection of our nation's sovereignty."
Also reservists

My Spirit Otter fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 17, 2012

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

probably need some extra coke money.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Lt. Jebus posted:

probably need some extra coke money.
C'mon that's a combat arms only problem, thank you very much.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

My Spirit Otter posted:

C'mon that's a combat arms only problem, thank you very much.

Clearly you've never been to Esquimalt/lived in Nelles Block.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

compressioncut posted:

Clearly you've never been to Esquimalt/lived in Nelles Block.

Or apparently the support trades PAT in Meaford.

I have no idea how it's spelled, pronounced pret see?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Clearly that was a joke, sheesh

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
It's all a joke - clearly we recruit the best people from Canadian society who above all respect the Canadian Forces Drug Policy.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

compressioncut posted:

It's all a joke - clearly we recruit the best people from Canadian society who above all respect the Canadian Forces Drug Policy.
I, for one, have never ever(ever) broken that policy, nor do I know anyone who has.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Drugs are for hippies, alcoholism is for soldiers!

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

You know the coke is only there so you can drink more, right?

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010
I don't know a double handful of soldiers who smoke every day and actually hope to get piss tested for a free vacation to Nanaimo and an out of some excersises.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don't mean to be that guy but we should probably stop this discussion about drugs.

(I had a PAF O briefing last month)

QR&O 19.14 seems to apply to this pretty specifically.

QR&O 19.14 (2) (a) posted:

[CF members shall not make comments that] if seen or heard by any member of the public, might reflect discredit on the Canadian Forces or on any of its members;

:colbert:

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

tuyop posted:

I don't mean to be that guy but we should probably stop this discussion about drugs.

(I had a PAF O briefing last month)

QR&O 19.14 seems to apply to this pretty specifically.

:colbert:
Have fun with your rules, boys. :smug:

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

Officers :canada:

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Morristron posted:

I don't know a double handful of soldiers who smoke every day and actually hope to get piss tested for a free vacation to Nanaimo and an out of some excersises.

It's not supposed to work like that - you have to get to the medical system (i.e. ask for help...) before your CoC catches up with you. The CoC can really only do remedial measures in that case, and it can jump right to recommending release.

That said I know it doesn't necessarily work like that in the real world.

Funny story - we had a kid who was a complete shitbag get sent to Nanaimo (for a fake alcohol problem, but that's another story...), and our section head and DivO did everything they could to not re-sign his contract. The CO vetoed that, so the DivO and PO1 had to leave the ship from the ammo jetty and drive to Nanaimo so he could re-sign. Even better is that he got a sweet 20-year IE.

He's since become a baseline-functional member (he will never make it past LS) so I guess the CO's decision was a net benefit for the CF?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

What are you navy goofs referring to when you say Nanaimo. What's there, a club Ed light?

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

My Spirit Otter posted:

What are you navy goofs referring to when you say Nanaimo. What's there, a club Ed light?

Edgewood rehab retreat. http://www.edgewood.ca/

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
I remember a briefing listing "makes jokes about doing drugs" as a warning sign that a subordinate may be doing drugs. Indeed.

Also apparently there is a 'correct' way to carry a coffee cup when outdoors at CFB Halifax and it sure as hell isn't using the carry handle.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Red Beaver posted:

Also apparently there is a 'correct' way to carry a coffee cup when outdoors at CFB Halifax and it sure as hell isn't using the carry handle.
You hold the carry handle with your right hand, drinking whilst walking, and your left hand buried deep in your pocket.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
If you don't have at least one hand in your pocket at all times, you are not not giving a gently caress enough.

I saw a vehicle tech with his hand in his breast pocket in the garage today. I approved.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Red Beaver posted:

I remember a briefing listing "makes jokes about doing drugs" as a warning sign that a subordinate may be doing drugs. Indeed.

When I was in Meaford in 08/09 we had to carry our coffee cups by the lid in the left hand and we still had to march with the right arm. It looked loving ridiculous.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Fraser CDN posted:

When I was in Meaford in 08/09 we had to carry our coffee cups by the lid in the left hand and we still had to march with the right arm. It looked loving ridiculous.
Were you in training, if so that's why. Normally basses don't have standards for trivial poo poo like that

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

My Spirit Otter posted:

Were you in training, if so that's why. Normally basses don't have standards for trivial poo poo like that

Yeah Meaford is an Infantry training base, but it was for everyone. We always use to get a empty cup and put a lid on it so we didnt have to march.

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 19, 2012

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005

My Spirit Otter posted:

I was corrected today in Halifax. Coffee mugs are to be carried by the lid with the arm straight to the side! Even while not marching. I haven't seen that in the routine orders so I'm not sure if its BS or not but its up there with not being allowed to wear backpacks in absurdity.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Red Beaver posted:

I was corrected today in Halifax. Coffee mugs are to be carried by the lid with the arm straight to the side! Even while not marching. I haven't seen that in the routine orders so I'm not sure if its BS or not but its up there with not being allowed to wear backpacks in absurdity.

I thought no one gave a gently caress in Air Force/ Navy bases?

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.

Fraser CDN posted:

I thought no one gave a gently caress in Air Force/ Navy bases?

There are ridiculous crackdowns from time to time.

I don't understand why backpacks aren't allowed with No. 3 dress any more in Halifax. Maybe it looks dumb but carrying a heavy backpack with the straps hanging around in your left hand is even dumber.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Are daypacks out of the question in Halifax or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
I have actually never had anyone correct my dress or deportment ever while just walking around. People always say you're going to get jacked up for ridiculous reasons and they're normally full of poo poo.