Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Allyn posted:

Love Abdul bin Sajid's nickname :allears:

His history is also pretty awesome. Who's Who in Upcoming Saudi Arabian Cricket players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Is Randy Johnson Jr. with his wife or the mistress he impregnated?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Telex posted:

wow, who's the fuckhead who absolutely decimated St. Louis?

I mean wow, 57 million in one season for Evan Longoria? Really?

Whoever you are, you are bad at OOTP. :(

Money is really loving dumb in the league. P much everyone has tens of millions just laying around that we can't spend and can't carry over to the next season.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Mornacale posted:

Money is really loving dumb in the league. P much everyone has tens of millions just laying around that we can't spend and can't carry over to the next season.

Just in Toona's defense, the guys who set the league up didn't really have the foresight for the financials and it used to be far worse.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Oh, btw, I'm not going to be working 12-14 hours a day any longer, so watch your back Tadashi. The Yankees Baseball Dynasty is coming. :hist101:

No they're not

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Pretty thorough and well-written story on text-sim sports games with a focus on OOTP leagues:

http://theclassical.org/post/12563189457/dice-boards

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

tadashi posted:

Pretty thorough and well-written story on text-sim sports games with a focus on OOTP leagues:

http://theclassical.org/post/12563189457/dice-boards

Gah. It makes me want to continue playing my PCL league game.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Ha, 2017's home run champ is from my college.

Though you hosed up Andy Wilkins's birthdate.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Reds: 2016 World Series Champions.

Now if only I had the absurd amount of money that Joey Votto wants for an absurd amount of time.

I really wish that in the offseason you had some sort of say as to what league changes were going to be made.

Fork of Unknown Origins fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Dec 1, 2011

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
My offline OOTP historical game is mocking me. For some reason it's decided Dan Warthen's gonna be a borderline hall of famer :psyduck:

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

Armitage posted:

My offline OOTP historical game is mocking me. For some reason it's decided Dan Warthen's gonna be a borderline hall of famer :psyduck:

There's TMB's cue to post JoeMays.jpg

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
I...I don't know where it is...

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

SIKE. Owned. I found the old .mog (from 2008!), so it's just updated with higher res.

Notable:
  • 6 Cy Young Awards
  • 19 All-Star Games
  • 3 Gold Gloves
  • 15 Championships (most with the powerhouse Orioles)
  • Made approximately $192.8M across his contracts

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
^^^my favorite part is the seven career CGs.

OOTP is way more conservative than BBM in regards to turning random #3-#4 starters in real life into Cy Young. One thing I don't like about it.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

I like how the Yankees turn him into a reliever after a 20-3 age 41 season.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
I feel like OOTP is a "better" game, but BBM's a lot more fun.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Made me dig out my old copy to see how it's going, and two things popped out:

1) BBM has a universal pro-Baltimore bias:

2) It simmed from 1901 to 2022 and the oldest player in the league is a 47-year-old Miguel Ojeda. (lookit that 2001 line)

His career statistics:

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Behold the legend of Dana Eveland

http://www.toonathecat.net/scmlb/news/html/players/player_18763.html

06/28/2012 Got claimed off waivers by Boston while with Arizona.
11/24/2012 Became a free agent.
06/10/2013 Signed a 1-year minor league contract with the New York Yankees organization.

There must have been some magic in that old jock strap they found.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Notable:

Can't believe you didn't list the 380-59 career record

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Related: This league has several openings. Enquire within.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

I don't do a recalc player ratings/retire players according to history/players miss seasons deal as I find it fun to rewrite history. I also find it fun to discover, or rediscover, obscure players that could have been someone. In the N/V thread I mentioned Kal Daniels, who is currently owning the crap out of my league for the Montreal Expos. I looked him up, and the dude kicked rear end for too brief of a period. I wonder what happened to him, he could have been a superstar.

Also, here's Warthen himself, in all his glory. The Indians had some not so good teams during his run, sadly.

I've been tempted to sabotage him over the years :argh:

Also, I just never got around to picking up OOTP 12, though I have heard the game has some pretty nice options.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

so I got an ipad and I'm tempted to get iootp... but are we close to a release of iootp 2012 instead?

I know it's only 5 bucks but I still hate wasting 5 bucks when a new one might be soon to appear...

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

AlleyViper posted:

Can't believe you didn't list the 380-59 career record

Third all-time in wins!

JoeMays.png is probably my most prized picture, thanks for giving me a reason to dig this out.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Kal Daniels was a really, really good athlete whose knees sabotaged him; if you're playing with ratings based on historical stats it's not surprising he becomes a monster so often.

That's before the first of many knee injuries.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

CraigK posted:

Kal Daniels was a really, really good athlete whose knees sabotaged him; if you're playing with ratings based on historical stats it's not surprising he becomes a monster so often.

That's before the first of many knee injuries.

I believe OOTP rates his durability as Fragile. Him getting hurt would help my chances to retake the NL East from the dreaded Expos, but they have Orel Hershiser and a few other good players.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Best pitching performance, ever!

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

After playing one season with the 2010 Yankees, I'm never rebuilding a team in an offline sim again. It's just too much fun to actually play with a winner.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Yeah, I've tried to go into rebuilding mode for it, and every time I don't have the patience and instead I run out a Felix Hernandez/Brett Anderson/Justin Verlander/Jered Weaver rotation with a Bryce Harper/Albert Pujols/Dustin Ackley middle of the order and win 130 games every season.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

CraigK posted:

Yeah, I've tried to go into rebuilding mode for it, and every time I don't have the patience and instead I run out a Felix Hernandez/Brett Anderson/Justin Verlander/Jered Weaver rotation with a Bryce Harper/Albert Pujols/Dustin Ackley middle of the order and win 130 games every season.

I think this is the least possible fun you can squeeze out of a game like this.

Half the fun to me is the guessing game and lineup tinkering you have to do when it comes to being able to afford your good players and finding out when to trade them out for maximum value.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
I owned most of them during their arb-years and couldn't afford them once they hit FA :ssh:

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

CraigK posted:

I owned most of them during their arb-years and couldn't afford them once they hit FA :ssh:

you still have to do some bullshit trades to make things like this happen.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Or fantasy draft, which seems to ignore most 18-20 year old prospects for the most part in the first couple of rounds in favor of good young major leaguers.

CraigK fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 6, 2012

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Telex posted:

you still have to do some bullshit trades to make things like this happen.
Not really. I played an OOTP game offline starting with the expansion Expos and had many years where I was trotting out terrible teams and then small three-year windows of 85+ wins when my drafted talent congealed before I had to let them go to free agency. It's completely possible to pull off a rebuild with a small-market, low-budget team and stay competitive without loving with the game as long as you draft smartly and have a little luck.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

The Prisoner posted:

Not really. I played an OOTP game offline starting with the expansion Expos and had many years where I was trotting out terrible teams and then small three-year windows of 85+ wins when my drafted talent congealed before I had to let them go to free agency. It's completely possible to pull off a rebuild with a small-market, low-budget team and stay competitive without loving with the game as long as you draft smartly and have a little luck.

yeah.. that is not what I'm talking about. What I am talking about is giving yourself 5 Cy Young quality pitchers, 4 MVP batters and watching your team win 120 games a year by forcing the CPU to accept some relatively unrealistic trades.

You can totally tweak the system and force every team to trade you their top prospect if you want. You can get a team with the top 10 draft picks if you want to do it and that's all good but I don't find it fun.

If you did it through the draft every year I guess that's cool. Most people don't brag about that, they tend to brag about how they "got" the CPU teams to trade all their top prospects for aging veterans and oh surprise my team got 144 wins since I had all the best players in baseball yay for me! Boring!

my bad on assuming it was the boring Yankees trading Derek Jeter for Harper and Strausburg sort of play and making the CPU accept it because you can.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Yeah, there was no trading involved, more exploiting the game's blind spot for 5- star players with no major league experience when drafting. I mean, that's cheesing it, too, but not quite "Here's Chad Tracy, give me Harper and Strasburg".

e: even then, you're going to suck really hard for a few years while your top prospects fulfill their potential.

CraigK fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 7, 2012

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

I had a very Mets-like 1996 campaign. I signed Ken Griffey Jr to put us over the top after missing the '95 playoffs. We had high hopes...

Dashed to bits by injuries and many players falling off the proverbial cliff. There was a 14 game losing streak in there too that led to the firing of our manager Tommie Agee. After that we started our rebuild, finishing the season 74-88.

At least going into '97, we have a nice lineup, but the pitching is gonna suck :v: Gonna hope for some high picks!

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
I like writing stories for odd games. Here's one:

me posted:

Anything can happen in baseball. Last night, and this afternoon, it did happen.

Going into the ninth inning tonight, the Gladiators were looking to avoid being no-hit. Luckily for them, while their opponent's hit column wasn't clean, their run column was, and, despite having zero hits tallied, they pushed the Dodgers into what would become one of the most improbable games in history While they got their first hit, a double into the left field power alley, at 8:17 PM off the bat of Ramirez, it would take another seventeen innings, making this the longest baseball game in history, surpassing the Oeschger-Cadore 26-inning double-shutout tie between the Braves and Dodgers in 1920.

There were shockingly few hits in this game; Fresno was just 6 for 89 in this game, and yet had a better day at the plate than the 5 for 86 Dodgers. The game started at 7:05 PM, and was played until Comissioner Bob Costas called and said that the game would be postponed at 3:00 AM PST, in the twenty-second inning, and resumed the day after at 3:05 PST. The Gladiators threw 369 pitches and the Dodgers threw 348.

The 442 fans that had stayed for the full 22 innings before postponement were each given a 10-game set of tickets, a T-shirt commemorating the event, and a $40 gift card to the Dodger Stadium Food Court as a prize for staying the whole night. "Man, I just got here after a long day at work, and I expected to be home by 10:30. Guess I was wrong, huh? The stuff they gave me was pretty cool, though." said Jason Aramillo, longtime Dodger fan.

There were threats before the run scored; in the 21st, Javy Hernandez pitched a leadoff walk to Camacho. After, Montoya reached on an error and Kemp hit an infield single to load the bases. "Man, I thought it was OVER then", Mike Ramirez was quoted as saying. "I was getting my [stuff] out the dugout and getting ready to go home. Then [Hernandez] got the cluchest K I ever saw, and then Coach put in Cuyl, and he slammed the door."

After the 23rd, the Comissioner stepped in and postponed the completion of the game for the health of all involved. The game resumed the following day; all ticket stubs from the previous game were accepted.

After the third out of the 26th, a faint mock cheer could be heard as the scoreboard noted that that officially made the game the longest in history.

Immediately after that, Kelly, in the game playing 3rd base due to the starting third baseman pulled a muscle in the fifteenth inning, drew a leadoff seven pitch walk. "Man, I was roaring to end that game. I'd got on via walk a couple times before and I was just straight stealing. I didn't care about injury at the time, I wanted the game over bad. I'd stolen second, twice, I think? [ed. note: he had stolen second and third in the 22nd] Anyway, I was straight small-ballin' up that [stuff]. I told the coach to do hit-and-runs, squeezes, all that. It didn't work out the first couple times we did it, but that time in the 27th it worked perfectly." And it did. After the walk, he stole second, Montero put on the hit and run, and Harper hit the fly ball that drove him in to a mob of teammates.

"I had told coach that if I was responsible for the run scoring that he'd put me in to close it out, and he did", Kelly said with a grin on his face. Despite the crafty lefty already throwing 15 innings and 152 pitches the night before, he was brought back in to finish the 27th. He showed signs of fatigue, walking Carbajal and Salinas, but a soft fly out Camacho after a nine-pitch at bat ended it.

Kelly, on being asked what he was planning to do after the game: "Sleep until Friday."

Eh, better than Plashcke, at a minimum.

Sadly, my game crashed, as it is wont to do, so no boxscore.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Hi, my name is Harlock and I run the Oakland A's in Toona's OOTP11 league (which you should totally join if you're interested). I operate them with a low payroll in mind (not that I need to) and turn over my bullpen pretty much every year/other year. I have yet to give a player over 10m (per year) in the 7 seasons since I took over. This presents a bit of a problem because my ace SP is hitting Free Agency:

http://www.toonathecat.net/scmlb/news/html/players/player_22798.html

2 CY Youngs and a Perfect Game under his belt while playing for my A's in addtion to one elite postseason where we reached Game 6 of he ALCS. He also had a string of 19 starts with either a win or no decision, I think it was 14 wins. I wish this would be the real Matusz because he's brought me so much success.

OOTP experts, do I resign him for a 5 year deal at 13m/y at the age of 31? Most players die around 34, and his ratings have been in flux from all 8's to 7's depending on the sims.

Oh and here's some pretty crazy splits on players that I drafted:

http://www.toonathecat.net/scmlb/news/html/players/player_26394.html (former Montero level catcher - 28% of runners thrown out)
http://www.toonathecat.net/scmlb/news/html/players/player_27396.html

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Harlock posted:

OOTP experts, do I resign him for a 5 year deal at 13m/y at the age of 31? Most players die around 34, and his ratings have been in flux from all 8's to 7's depending on the sims.

Is that a lot in your game? Seems to me that it sounds about right if you're using normal financials.

I wouldn't go 5 though, I'd go 3+2 options and incentives. I've got a pretty loving big fear of injuries at old ages and eating salary that seems to happen a lot to me. 11m + 1m cy young + 500k for 200 innings, with the 2 option years vesting at 200 innings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Harlock posted:

Hi, my name is Harlock and I run the Oakland A's in Toona's OOTP11 league (which you should totally join if you're interested). I operate them with a low payroll in mind (not that I need to) and turn over my bullpen pretty much every year/other year. I have yet to give a player over 10m (per year) in the 7 seasons since I took over. This presents a bit of a problem because my ace SP is hitting Free Agency:

http://www.toonathecat.net/scmlb/news/html/players/player_22798.html

2 CY Youngs and a Perfect Game under his belt while playing for my A's in addtion to one elite postseason where we reached Game 6 of he ALCS. He also had a string of 19 starts with either a win or no decision, I think it was 14 wins. I wish this would be the real Matusz because he's brought me so much success.

Oh and here's some pretty crazy splits on players that I drafted:

http://www.toonathecat.net/scmlb/news/html/players/player_26394.html (former Montero level catcher - 28% of runners thrown out)
http://www.toonathecat.net/scmlb/news/html/players/player_27396.html

For what it's worth, I had Brian Matusz in my OOTP game and I didn't resign him for exactly the same reasons. He ended up getting something in the neighborhood of 5 years $50 million from Seattle and ended up being worth about twice as much. He won a Cy Young and everything!

• Locked thread