Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
As someone who made an even worse decision than you, despite the advice of this forum, and now has a moving pile of problems... You only live once. :riker:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
Haha, poo poo. But it looks so clean! :cry:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

fingerling posted:

Haha, poo poo. But it looks so clean! :cry:

Three words: Vacuum operated everything.

To more words: Rubber hoses.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

KozmoNaut posted:

Three words: Vacuum operated everything.

Do W124s have anything vacuum operated? I thought they were like W201s in general build.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

kimbo305 posted:

Do W124s have anything vacuum operated? I thought they were like W201s in general build.

Perhaps I'm thinking of the W126, but I know the W124 (and W201) has vacuum-operated central locking at least, and optionally a vacuum-adjusted driver's seat.

My parents' first W201 had the pneumatic seat, most boss thing ever.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Motronic posted:

Do you have a garage, tools, a bank account, a spare car, and a good shipping address? Because you'll need to be ready to use all of them on an $1800 Merc.

Says the man with the Land Rovers.

The W124s are bullet proof, built back when MB would spend money on quality parts, not skimp out like on the next model, the W201.

As mentioned in the Craiglist thread, it is the 2.6lt version of the 3.0lt six, so will be a bit slow, but mechanically (as long as the auto is ok) unkillable.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

You Am I posted:

The W124s are bullet proof, built back when MB would spend money on quality parts, not skimp out like on the next model, the W201.

You mean the W210 E-class. The W201 190 (C-class predecessor) was every bit as solid as the W124.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I really need a g/f or a wife... or block craigslist on my computer.

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/2759146909.html

Any recommendations on what to look for? Looks like it could prove to be a fun car to toy with.

vvv Oh god yes, the wheels are hideous.. Any thing to watch out for?

Guy is down to $600, yes or no?

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Guy is down to $600, yes or no?

Definitely yes. You won't find one for a better price (assuming it's not held up by bondo)

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

My 700 dollar 1979 240d has been a great car, though it tends to leak when it rains, the rear suspension is hosed, and there is epic blowby. All told, probably spent 500 (plus registration) to keep it going. It has been a super reliable car even though it has had some annoying issues.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I got tired of breaking those shitass keys Mercedes sells to W123 owners these days, so I made this:

It's made from a chunk of Zebrano I picked up from a woodworking store for 2 bucks. I cut two wafers from it, routed out a part of one of the slices with a rotozip with a depth guide so the key could set in there. Then sanded the mating surfaces smooth and glued with tightbond III in a vice. After that I had a workable key again, and began sanding the wood into the shape of the original key. The hole was created with large drill bit, and finally finished with Minwax Polyshade in Honey Pine. It's not perfect and obviously hand made by someone with little woodworking experience, but it's strong and looks pretty good and matches the Zebrano wood dashboard of my 240d.

I've got my knife shoved in the old plastic head to show how they commonly break these days.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
God drat, I want a mighty 190:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYaIFvRqv2k

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
I've got a friend in the Fresno California area who is leisurely trying to sell a 1980 240D with the automatic, I think 38k miles. It's the stereotypical creamy tan exterior with matched interior. It's been garage kept for most of it's life so the paint is in good shape.

They only want $800 as it's "not running" "because my dad didn't change the oil for 2 years." The car was driven like once a month and it was taken to a local Merc guy whenever it had problems but I don't really know it's history beyond that. I've pressed for more information but haven't been able to get a more concrete answer out of them as to what might actually be wrong.

The leather seats need work and the transmission slips a little when shifting, and that's basically all that's wrong with it.

The quotes are from a 26 year girl who knows nothing about cars and from her father who knows even less about cars.

I can get pictures and give out phone numbers if anybody is interested. I drove the car last summer and it ran fine then but I have no idea what's happened now.

Rontalvos fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 19, 2012

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Rontalvos posted:

I've got a friend in the Fresno California area who is leisurely trying to sell a 1980 240D with the automatic

"Leisurely" being the key word here :haw:

Man, that thing must be absolutely glacial.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Rontalvos posted:

I've got a friend in the Fresno California area who is leisurely trying to sell a 1980 240D with the automatic, I think 38k miles. It's the stereotypical creamy tan exterior with matched interior.
An auto 240D is a miserably slow car. The good news is that switching it to a manual would be relatively easy.

I hate that color combo so much, the only thing worse is white/tan.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
the earlier models have bad rustproofing and sound insulation and are geared high. My 80 300cd is unbearably loud on the highway, jesus christ what was I thinking 5 yrs ago when I bought it.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Gonna go test drive a $2950 `92 400e. What should I be aware of and look for and am I about to make a terrible mistake? :ohdear:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

FIRST TIME posted:

Gonna go test drive a $2950 `92 400e. What should I be aware of and look for and am I about to make a terrible mistake? :ohdear:
The main thing will be the auto transmission. If it is anything other than smooth with its shifts, walk away.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

mod sassinator posted:

God drat, I want a mighty 190:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYaIFvRqv2k

Awesome video... Makes me want a mighty 190E. Actually there is one on craigslist... Maybe I need to pony some cash up.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

You Am I posted:

The main thing will be the auto transmission. If it is anything other than smooth with its shifts, walk away.

Haha, the car was a godamn nightmare. The dealer told us it had an idle misfire problem... it almost died on me twice while waiting at lights on the test drive and sputtered every time I tried to accelerate. When I brought the car back he excitedly asked me about how much I enjoyed the smooth ride and acceleration then got offended when I told him without being mean at all about the test drive. I imagine it probably would have been pretty hilarious if he would have gone with us for the test drive.

He had said before the drive that he wasn't going to sell anyone the care before he got the problem fixed but I have zero faith that he's going to go out of his way to make sure it's really fixed before he sells it.

I really wanted to go mercedes but they're not as common as bmws around here so gonna go look at a 95 E34 today. Sorry guys. :/

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Awesome video... Makes me want a mighty 190E. Actually there is one on craigslist... Maybe I need to pony some cash up.

I NEVER see any 190Es on CL here and I seriously want one bad. Oh wait, just checked again, found one with a good engine and a bad tranny, lol.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
My mother has decided she no longer wants her 77 450sl, its my job to sell it. What are some good outlets to make sure she goes to a good home? Ive seen these things fluctuate heavily in price, is there a market for them right now? should i wait until summer? any help would be appreciated.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?
Buy that thing right out of her this instant! It's beautiful and at least where I'm from, I see them going around in pretty good condition. How much is she asking?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Another poor victim of 5mph bumpers.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I don't think it would hurt to clean it up and try listing it now for a high-ish price. Maybe start at $10k and see if you have any interest.

Personally I'd love to find a nice 560SL for $5k or so but the SL's seem to hold their value better than other Mercedes (not a big surprise).

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
When I worked at a bodyshop a few years back I ended up having to put a front fender on one of those. Holy loving poo poo, that was the biggest nightmare I've ever encountered. Adhesive. everywhere.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

mod sassinator posted:

I don't think it would hurt to clean it up and try listing it now for a high-ish price. Maybe start at $10k and see if you have any interest.

Personally I'd love to find a nice 560SL for $5k or so but the SL's seem to hold their value better than other Mercedes (not a big surprise).

Unless it is under 35K miles, there aint no white 450sls selling for $10k. Even ones like that with great looking paint. My neighbor has his gorgeous black 560 up for sale for $10k, been asking that for close to a year now.

My 88 560sl was $4.5k, but I put another $1k getting the timing belt, water pump, etc in it from the get-go. It is not unreasonable to think you might find one for $5k in the dead of winter.

Casey Chaos
Jul 31, 2006

I'm slogging SSF4
I have decided to join the club and also do my part to destroy the environment

I've heard a lot of talk of economy improving as engines 'bed in', probably sales nonsense - is there any truth to this?

Casey Chaos fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 12, 2012

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
You have a 6.2L engine in there. It'd be easier to just revaluate what you consider to be "fuel economy".

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

LobsterboyX posted:

My mother has decided she no longer wants her 77 450sl, its my job to sell it. What are some good outlets to make sure she goes to a good home? Ive seen these things fluctuate heavily in price, is there a market for them right now? should i wait until summer? any help would be appreciated.

I'd check with the local Mercedes Benz owner's club. They'll be able to help you with what price you should be offering and maybe even have members who want to buy it.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

Casey Chaos posted:

I have decided to join the club and also do my part to destroy the environment

I've heard a lot of talk of economy improving as engines 'bed in', probably sales nonsense - is there any truth to this?

Your motor was broken in before you drove it off the lot.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Just enjoy the 15 mpg as much as possible. That thing sounds too good to go easy on it.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Is there a general opinion on the w124 e320 coupe? Are they as reliable as their earlier 4 door siblings? I love older mercs and have been considering an w124 e-class, and while the sedans are cheaper, that coupe is just sexy as hell.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Third Man posted:

Is there a general opinion on the w124 e320 coupe? Are they as reliable as their earlier 4 door siblings? I love older mercs and have been considering an w124 e-class, and while the sedans are cheaper, that coupe is just sexy as hell.
They are a very well built car, still look great, I'd love to have a 300CE-24 in my driveway.

Feb 8, 2008
Even though my '78 300D is sitting in my driveway with a broken drive shaft flex plate, I'm seriously considering picking up another Benz (probably just take a hit on the 300D and sell it as is).
This '86 300E has been for sale in my town for a while and I'm seriously considering at least taking it for a test drive:

http://olympic.craigslist.org/cto/2826710211.html
From the research I've done, it looks like these cars are great if they have been taken care of their whole lives.
Any suggestions or things to watch out for on this series?

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

7734 posted:

Even though my '78 300D is sitting in my driveway with a broken drive shaft flex plate, I'm seriously considering picking up another Benz (probably just take a hit on the 300D and sell it as is).
I thought a flex plate was only like 60 bucks though.

I just looked at rockauto, they have one for 25 bucks.

Feb 8, 2008

EvilMoFo posted:

I thought a flex plate was only like 60 bucks though.

I just looked at rockauto, they have one for 25 bucks.

Yeah, it is feasible for me to replace it, (have to get all 4 wheels off the ground, remove rear transmission mount, and completely drop the drive shaft) I just don't really feel like investing that much effort into a car that still has a poor paint job, lots of broken interior stuff, poorly working vacuum system, no air vents to speak of, leaking window seals, jury-rigged electrical system, and hard shifting.

I'd like to get the car out of my life as easily as possible and take whatever loss I took on it as a lesson to only buy an older Benz that has been properly maintained it's whole life, preferable with documents to back it up.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Can someone school me on used entry-level MB that can be had for a $15k - $20k budget? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to Mercedes and I need some ideas on what can be had for that price range, models to look at or stay away from etc. I am located in the Florida panhandle.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
I think the general consensus is stay away from the mid-ninties up to around 2002-03 I want to say? At that price point you're probably going to be looking at a lot of C-Classes, which I've heard mixed reviews about, quality-wise. If possible I'd try and find a E-Class in your budget, but I'm not sure what kind of mileage you'll end up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Third Man posted:

I think the general consensus is stay away from the mid-ninties up to around 2002-03 I want to say? At that price point you're probably going to be looking at a lot of C-Classes, which I've heard mixed reviews about, quality-wise. If possible I'd try and find a E-Class in your budget, but I'm not sure what kind of mileage you'll end up with.

Definitely stay away from the W202 C-class. My parents had one and the Citroën they drive now is so much better and much more reliable. That should put it into perspective.

And stay away from the W210 E-class as well, they're widely regarded as the worst cars MB made.