Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Monster w21 Faces posted:

I REALLY like Crytek.

I don't think we're going to tell you what you want to hear. No-one is going to help your decision no matter which one you go for. Crytek: "It's 'complicated'"

I hope all the best though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffledoodle
Oct 1, 2005

I believe your boast sounds vaguely familiar.
I put my dreams on hold and passed up career opportunities once to support a significant other's dreams and education. I worked miserable, soul-crushing jobs designing coupons and junk mail so she could be a full time student at a particular school. Then she dropped out and divorced me. THAT'S MY ANECDOTE

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
e: ^^ as a counterpoint, a buddy of mine moved out to here and brought his fiance and she completely gave up her dreams because he had found a job. She went back to school for something else and when she had her degree it was her turn to choose what city they were going to live in, so he left. Although they went to DC and he works at Bethesda, so happy ending overall.

I watched someone restructure their whole life and renegotiate their dreams and school plans for a 2 year relationship that turned into 2 more years of LDR, forgoing a master's degree and jumping into the work force to save up money to move her out to him once she finished her bachelors, only for it to finally collapse and my friend regretting the whole thing, I can't support the notion of relationships over career choices, especially when you're young and still trying to build one.

Try the LDR thing but follow the job. As callous as it may seem, there are fantastic people everywhere you go, and nothing makes this lady special, and if I'm wrong on that, the worst case is that you will have been apart until she finishes her degree and moves back with you.

If you do the LDR thing and are financially supporting her in any way, be prepared to have her find a guy a year or two later and for you to discover she's cheating and relying on you for financial support still.

But that's more E/N than game development, I think it applies for any career.

e: VV he didn't move away for his career, though, he moved away due to some other issues that are kind of complicated and personal, and their goal during that time was supposed to be moving her out there as well as soon as she finished her degree. Except her goal was instead to gently caress around, skip classes until she had moved the timetable back a year, and basically aggravate him in every way possible without killing the relationship.

Sigma-X fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 18, 2012

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Sigma-X posted:

I can't support the notion of relationships over career choices, especially when you're young and still trying to build one.
What the? Do you not see what you did? Your examples all described someone choosing the career over the relationship and then basically blamed the resulting implosion on the relationship!

Edit: Wait, or did you? That post is kind of confusing.
Edit: Okay, so the lesson is really "don't stay in relationships with jerks." Case closed!

Akuma fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 18, 2012

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
I stayed in Florida in an Industry I didn't necessarily want to be in so my wife could be close to her family. Six years later everything I learned allowed me to get my dream job in the Game Industry.

There isn't anyone who can tell you exactly what will happen in your relationship. Everyone has good and bad anecdotes.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Mega Shark posted:

There isn't anyone who can tell you exactly what will happen in your relationship. Everyone has good and bad anecdotes.

Word. This issue hits close to home for everyone and is different with every new situation.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

mutata posted:

If it came down to a choice between my girl and getting into the industry, I would choose my girl. No brainer. If you find a good one, hold on and everything else can go to hell. :)

This. A million times over. I absolutely love my job, this industry, and this company but if push came to shove the games industry can go gently caress itself. No job is worth losing your girlfriend/wife over.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Where the hell are you working?

Gameloft, used to be in the Montreal studio then asked to move to the Saigon studio. :)

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I REALLY like Crytek.

Is there any way they'll let you work remotely?

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I lived in an LDR for a while when I was trying to break in to the industry. I wouldn't recommend it. Unlike most, mine ended in death.

I was eating lunch in the break room of my dream company when the phone call came. At the time I would've traded all of my accomplishments to have been 3000 miles away. I'll never know if it would've happened the same way if we were together and it still bothers me.

5 years later I'm working in the exact job I dreamed of when I decided to try to work in the industry, and in another great relationship, but I'm still not sure I made the right decision. I can't say which choice is right for you, but I am going to guess that this is not the last job Crytek will be hiring for.

thermal
Feb 24, 2008

Odddzy posted:

Do you work in the industry? don't take it the wrong way but you seem kind of infatuated with it and it's the kind of attitude that shines a lot in people that want to but are still in school or only entertain an interest in games. A good relationship can be worth more than a job depending on the quality of the significant other.

Yes, for quite a while now. But I'm also a misogynist cynic :toot:

thermal fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 19, 2012

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

MustardFacial posted:

No job is worth losing your girlfriend/wife over.
The LDR thing is odd - if you chose to crunch so much you never got to see your partner, people would almost unanimously say you'd got your work/life balance very wrong.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
I should point out that I was in a long distance relationship for 5 years while in law school. I'm now happily married to her. If not for her, I would not have opened my practice in games and would be schlubbing along in immigration law and be unhappy about it. She has always supported my love for gaming and my desire to make my own way in a very niche subset of the industry.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
My girlfriend of 7.5 years broke up with me this morning just after telling her my internship was extended (I also said some very stupid things that led up to it I'll regret for the rest of my life). She didn't want to do the long distance relationship again after we did it when we went to separate colleges. Shes going to school in the fall for her doctorate in psychology, so it would've been 6+ years more of a long distance relationship.

Problem was, neither of us wanted to give up our dreams to stay together, so this is probably the best solution.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
I'm sorry to hear that man. :(

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

My girlfriend of 7.5 years broke up with me this morning just after telling her my internship was extended (I also said some very stupid things that led up to it I'll regret for the rest of my life). She didn't want to do the long distance relationship again after we did it when we went to separate colleges. Shes going to school in the fall for her doctorate in psychology, so it would've been 6+ years more of a long distance relationship.

Problem was, neither of us wanted to give up our dreams to stay together, so this is probably the best solution.

Sorry to hear it man. I know it hurts right now but take it easy, a day at a time.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
:stare:

Game Jobs Megathread #3: E/N LDR OMGWTFBBQ

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
So making games, whats that all about?

EDIT: New email signature:

quote:

I don't get why it takes them so god drat long to make maps.

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 19, 2012

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

So, applying for art jobs in the industry. How heavily weighted is the portfolio versus the cover letter and resume? I was under the impression that portfolio carries 90% of the burden for proving you're worth passing the first hurdle, but I could be totally wrong on this.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

lavhoes posted:

How heavily weighted is the portfolio versus the cover letter and resume? I was under the impression that portfolio carries 90% of the burden for proving you're worth passing the first hurdle, but I could be totally wrong on this.

You are correct! Unless someone comes with a strong personal recommendation, our art director won't read a resume/cover letter never mind make a phone call if the portfolio isn't up to snuff.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

lavhoes posted:

I was under the impression that portfolio carries 90% of the burden for proving you're worth passing the first hurdle

Yep.

Though an interesting discussion could be had as to the degree that number of shipped titles/who you know counts towards you landing a job, but ultimately it's the portfolio that is going to get you a job and the skills demonstrated therein are going to help you keep that job.

Cover letters are worth the effort mind you as you never know how many HR/management/suitbastard types have to review your application before your work gets anywhere near an artist with an insight worth a goddamn. Also i am copyrighting the term "Suitbastard"

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 19, 2012

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The order of importance seems to be:

1)The art test you turn in
2)Your portfolio
3)Your resume/cover letter

However, your cover letter needs to be good enough to encourage them to look at your portfolio and your portfolio needs to be good enough to get them to give you an art test, so the real answer is:

All of it.

In regards to contacts and recommendations, unless you know management and suits who are higher up, the contact will get you an interview at most. Usually knowing someone will get your stuff looked at sooner and move the process along faster, but they wont get you a job in and of themselves.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
You don't even get an art test if you have a lovely portfolio.

You will live and die by the strength of your portfolio. Your resume's accomplishments will be a nice addition when it's down to you and Other Awesome Guy, but portfolio is the first qualifier.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Aliginge posted:

Yep.

Though an interesting discussion could be had as to the degree that number of shipped titles/who you know counts towards you landing a job, but ultimately it's the portfolio that is going to get you a job and the skills demonstrated therein are going to help you keep that job.

Cover letters are worth the effort mind you as you never know how many HR/management/suitbastard types have to review your application before your work gets anywhere near an artist with an insight worth a goddamn. Also i am copyrighting the term "Suitbastard"

Yeah it's important to note that recruiters & hr people who tend to be the very first gatekeeper will not look at your portfolio. So your resume and cover letter matter too. Unless you have an in at the place then you can skip that step.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

DancingMachine posted:

Yeah it's important to note that recruiters & hr people who tend to be the very first gatekeeper will not look at your portfolio. So your resume and cover letter matter too. Unless you have an in at the place then you can skip that step.
When you have an "in," they still give everyone involved a copy of your resume pre-interview, we use it to frame our questions, etc.

If the resume is a piece of crap and written poorly, you can bet it will frame how I approach the interview.

(I am a programmer, though, so a bit different)

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Thanks for the great advice, as always. I've spent a lot of time getting my portfolio together, but an equal amount of time shaping my resume and tailoring a cover letter for every job application. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't spending too much time in one area or another, but it seems like my original views were correct.

Edit: Answered my own question there.

turnways fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 20, 2012

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Maps don't take long. Artists do :smug:

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

Fishbus posted:

Maps don't take long. Artists do :smug:

Ehh, I think its 50/50 for us. I've been working on this for about 2 months and I think art gets the same amount of time.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Seattle's been snowed out this week, but I've still driven in to work a couple days because working on games is so much fun.

Also, those of you suffering from girlfriend + game jobs woes, did you talk to your company about working remotely? I know out studio has done that many times, and it usually works out pretty well.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

Chainclaw posted:

Seattle's been snowed out this week, but I've still driven in to work a couple days because working on games is so much fun.

We got a poo poo ton of snow recently (Wisconsin), and our Project Lead made some comments about it being shorts weather before then, so we went out last week in shorts and t-shirts and had a barbacue. Madison owns.

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 21, 2012

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

We got a poo poo ton of snow recently (Wisconsin), and our Project Lead made some comments about it being shorts weather before then, so we went out last week in shorts and t-shirts and had a barbacue.
Still waiting on snow here in Ohio. I can't believe it, but we've had virtually no snow this year.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

Anderron Shi posted:

Still waiting on snow here in Ohio. I can't believe it, but we've had virtually no snow this year.

Yeah we didn't get any snow until last week, then we got more two days ago and we're supposed to get another foot tomorrow.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
I have no comments about LDRs or BBQ.

However, I may have a job.

Note: This is for a personal hobby project of mine, and thus has nothing to do with my employer and no real budget to speak of.

I need a game designer, one that works cheap. My hobby project is an online RPG, extremely small scoped at first. I have the general overview worked out, but I need someone to come in and flesh out systems, and keep the scope small and the game fun.

This should be someone who needs some experience, as while I can pay you, it won't be much as it's basically coming out of my beer money.

This is an old school RPG design at heart, with some new stuff and I'd be glad to discuss it. Hit me up at sagoons@tamedtornado.com and we'll chat via email and/or Skype.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

You're looking for this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2711122

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

You're looking for this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2711122

No, not really. I'm looking to hire.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
I think you're going to want to look for a nice new toaster.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Orzo posted:

I think you're going to want to look for a nice new toaster.
He is at least offering money - that's better than the usual.

Still, you're going to be looking at Jr's mostly, Backov, and the other thread attracts more folks at the jr/hobbyist level than this one. I'd at least post the question in both.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Shalinor posted:

Still, you're going to be looking at Jr's mostly, Backov, and the other thread attracts more folks at the jr/hobbyist level than this one. I'd at least post the question in both.

I wouldn't mind if time were not such an issue.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Shalinor posted:

Fair enough, I'll get over there as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

After being taken a bit off guard during a phone interview, I'm compiling a list of artists, games, and other media that have been the main influences and inspirations that have contributed to the artist/person I am now, and it's been surprisingly eye opening. Anyone care to share some of theirs?