Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I can't argue with that statement.

Stupid derail. Does anyone know a site that keeps handy painting guides for various things? The only one that comes to mind is Brushthralls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
From the Warp is good but kinda hard to search, iirc.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

MassiveVoodoo is the poo poo.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

crime fighting hog posted:

Sorry, I can't hear you over the howling gale that blankets the giant windswept heath that is your state, drowning out the cries for warmth and attention from an uncaring sun. Nothing piling upon nothing, forever.

I kid, I kid.

Sioux Falls or Rapid City? What's your scene like?

You may kid, but its true :smithicide:

Sioux Fall's, the store has been open a month now, our 40k escalation league has 28 people signed up and the fantasy one has 18, so its going pretty well I think :D

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

S.J. posted:

Who the gently caress are you? I work there.

e: Ghetto you're in Nebraska too?

Little John... is that you?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Hip-hop-o-pot-o-mus posted:

Little John... is that you?

Ah gently caress we gotta shut down everything. SJ launch yer parachute account, I got DR.VIDEOGAMES 0031 on standby.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Fyrbrand posted:

Flyover states ITT. :iceburn:

Hey man, you can keep all the culture if we can keep all the food!

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

ghetto wormhole posted:

Hey man, you can keep all the culture if we can keep all the food!

We have bacon wrapped hotdogs covered with peppers and onions then slathered with mayo and mustard sold outside of every bar. We're covered.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Runza. Argument over.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Sorry, I can't hear you over the howling gale that blankets the giant windswept heath that is your state, drowning out the cries for warmth and attention from an uncaring sun. Nothing piling upon nothing, forever.

I kid, I kid.

Sioux Falls or Rapid City? What's your scene like?

North Dakota is the best Dakota. :colbert:

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
A friend of mine did a one-off license plate of the North Dakota skyline.
It was a straight line with a shack on it. :shepface:

VVVVVV
:master:

Sole.Sushi fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 19, 2012

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Sole.Sushi posted:

A friend of mine did a one-off license plate of the North Dakota skyline.
It was a straight line with a shack on it. :shepface:

The shack is the state capitol.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Sole.Sushi posted:

All right, Hermetic: Photos for you, and eye-candy for all!

[Awesomeness]

I think we were thinking of two different techniques, but I really like how your stuff came out, Sushi!

Also, I drybrushed up a base tonight. It's incredible what a little corkboard and sand can look like with some black primer and a little paint. I'll take a crappy cel phone picture in a moment.

EDIT: Wasn't kidding about the crappiness :smithicide:

Hermetic fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 19, 2012

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
4 hours of painting tonight:

Finished basecoats on light warbeasts

Mostly finished my cow-valry basecoats....

and T-1000 SLAG TROLL! :psylon: (I am going to glaze him with Rust paint, and then weather him with burnt sienna and iron oxide pigments.)

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Hermetic posted:

I think we were thinking of two different techniques, but I really like how your stuff came out, Sushi!

It's possible; I have a hard-on for washes over metals to get various effects that look awesome for :effort:-levels of work. Sorry that I didn't get to help you out more. Also, thank you for the complement; the model is currently sitting in Simple Green so I can adjust the color scheme. I tell you, I'm in love with the idea of this whole test-model thing.

Out of curiosity, what technique were you thinking of? I could always use advice, after all.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

The shack is the state capitol.

:drat:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Possibly stupid question, is there a reason the "Foundation Black" paint that comes in this set doesn't appear anywhere in the individual product line?

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
From my experience it's exactly the same as Chaos Black.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Verdugo posted:

From my experience it's exactly the same as Chaos Black.

This, except it's also glossy for some reason, and kind of lovely for it.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Thank you both!

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Sole.Sushi posted:

It's possible; I have a hard-on for washes over metals to get various effects that look awesome for :effort:-levels of work. Sorry that I didn't get to help you out more. Also, thank you for the complement; the model is currently sitting in Simple Green so I can adjust the color scheme. I tell you, I'm in love with the idea of this whole test-model thing.

Out of curiosity, what technique were you thinking of? I could always use advice, after all.

Putting a gradient of blue in the shadows to give it a sort of nmm-ish effect. I thought I had an example picture of what I mean, but I don't.

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
Whoa. Coming out of lurk-mode a little late. Didn't realize there were so many Shoppe goons though it makes so much sense! :v:

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Finished up my Khador battlegroup this evening.

Not too happy with Sorcha's face, and the melee weapons, but they're good enough to play with.

I went for a darker color for the Jacks because I had some burgundy Krylon fusion which made priming them (and my 5 shocktroopers which I haven't finished yet) a cinch. Saved a lot of stress on basecoating.

So. many. drat. rivets.

Verdugo fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 19, 2012

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Two Word of Blake mechs finished!

Grand Titan T-IT-N10M

Buccaneer BCN-3R

(That shiny rock in the background is real Chalcopyrite copper ore)

And thank you for the help when i almost hosed it with Dullcote.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
At first I thought you said "Word of Blanche mechs"

I still think it fits. Maybe a bit more beige and sketchiness.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

[[ Please wait, retrieving information... ]]

Captain Invictus posted:

At first I thought you said "Word of Blanche mechs"

I still think it fits. Maybe a bit more beige and sketchiness.

The Word of Blake is a techno-religous cult in the Battletech universe. Kinda like Mormons running the telco industry.
They cracked the shits when their dream of a unified humanity was sundered and so they declared a jihad on pretty much everyone.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Been a while since I've posted in here but I'm pretty happy with this Ogre Irongut for a Battalion challenge my local store is running. Now to finish the rest of them by Feb!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Welp, do to some changes in my personal life, it looks like Ill be able to actually take part in the thread a lot more than I have been.

I just hope I can win it back over, its like a teenager whos father disapeared and now I have to buy it a car and send it to an ivy league school to make it love me again

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

PaintVagrant posted:

I just hope I can win it back over, its like a teenager whos father disapeared and now I have to buy it a car and send it to an ivy league school to make it love me again

Is this is a coded offer from you to pro-paint my Rackham stuff? Because that would definitely make me love you.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Theres a chance I might do commission work again, Im sort of stuck in commission limbo at the moment because a customer went awol during the process of painting an army for him and I dont know what to do about it. But yeah maybe one day soon I might start taking some small commissions here and there. Characters and fun poo poo though, no goddamned armies :suicide:

But yeah, free time has been made, which is pretty sweet. Havent had it in quite some time.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

because a customer went awol during the process of painting an army for him and I dont know what to do about it.

Give it to me.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Fuegan posted:

Your paint job forces to stare directly at his nipples~~~

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
Daemon Prince of Nurgle. The wings are magnetized and supported with pins, for ease of transport.

Close-up

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

That owns bones. Did you pick up the Finecast or is that the metal one? I've always wanted to paint it.

My only complaint is that the wings should have some icky rot on them too, but it still looks great.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Solution: give to 5-year-old with cold, varnish over snot, problem solved.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

It would be a cool time to try this:

http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/2009/10/tutorial-making-ugly-strings-and-stuff.html

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Your paint job forces to stare directly at his nipples~~~

Then my diabolical plan is a success!

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!

That owns bones. Did you pick up the Finecast or is that the metal one? I've always wanted to paint it.

My only complaint is that the wings should have some icky rot on them too, but it still looks great.

That's the metal one.

I'm actually planning to destroy the bottoms of the wings once I pick up the appropriate power tool, but that will have to wait a month or two.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Kommando posted:

[[ Please wait, retrieving information... ]]

The Word of Blake is a techno-religous cult in the Battletech universe. Kinda like Mormons running the telco industry.
They cracked the shits when their dream of a unified humanity was sundered and so they declared a jihad on pretty much everyone.

I know, I learned about the Word of Blake from Mechassault, the only Mechwarrior game I've played!

Somewhere, a MW nerd's head just exploded in a puff of rage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Simple newbie question: How do I prevent paint from chipping off of metal minis? Should I give them a thin clear coat of some varnish or something?

• Locked thread