Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Joramun posted:

One does not preclude the other. Daario could even be Rhaegar in disguise.

Oh no what have you dooooooone...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Ross posted:

We can only hope Daario's natural hair coloring is revealed in future novels.

This is one of those mysteries that a good writer will never reveal, allowing the audience to imagine the hair colour of their choice.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Joramun posted:

One does not preclude the other. Daario could even be Rhaegar in disguise.

This runs counter to Ned thinking Rhaegar probably didn't visit whores.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

This is one of those mysteries that a good writer will never reveal, allowing the audience to imagine the hair colour of their choice.

I'm hoping his natural hair color is actually blue, and he is only dyeing it blue to take care of a few premature gray spots.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Neurosis posted:

This runs counter to Ned thinking Rhaegar probably didn't visit whores.

Granted, Ned was also probably thinking of female whores.

Daario's hair color speaks volumes about GRRM's work and how he tries to keep many characters as aracial as possible.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

bigmcgaffney posted:

Daario's hair color speaks volumes about GRRM's work and how he tries to keep many characters as aracial as possible.

Yeah esp. the fire wizard with dark, dark, dark, coal, pitch, inky, black skin.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

lifts cats over head posted:

I'm hoping his natural hair color is actually blue, and he is only dyeing it blue to take care of a few premature gray spots.

I had not considered this possibility.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Ross posted:

I had not considered this possibility.

It ties in with the gold tooth as covering up another geriatric symptom, Daario is a sekrit old man, and that's why he doesn't gently caress Dany on command.

basx
Aug 16, 2004

Sassy old man!
Daario dyes his hair blue to hide the fact that it is actually a mass of wriggling penises. A penis Medusa, if you will. Dany is too dumb to notice.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Vertigus posted:

Yeah esp. the fire wizard with dark, dark, dark, coal, pitch, inky, black skin.

Be a better reader, I said most characters. And this might be personal anecdote but I know a fire wizard who is an attractive, petite, redhead who might have vaguely asian features.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
wrong thread

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

bigmcgaffney posted:

Be a better reader, I said most characters. And this might be personal anecdote but I know a fire wizard who is an attractive, petite, redhead who might have vaguely asian features.

Listen, you don't understand how dark this guy is.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Vertigus posted:

How dark is he?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
He's so dark he touched a guy's arm....

....and the arm turned dark! :aaaaa:

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Elindale posted:

How dark is he?

As black as a black man's cape?

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
He's so dark he wears a feathered cape if you know what I mean

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Vertigus posted:

But is he of the night??

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

misguided rage posted:

But is he of the night??

We are all of the night.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

IRQ posted:

We are all of the night.

But only one man is of the morning.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

bigmcgaffney posted:

But only one man is of the morning.

... ... Darkstar? :confused:

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
I don't see much in the way of book discussion, Just Sayin'

Or have we decided to make this a quote thread?

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

LooseChanj posted:

I have been curious for a while now, and please be honest: have you read the series? Or does ASoIaF not interest you at all?

Edit: Also I have been curious what other goons think:

When/if Dany ever does return to Westeros (everything is pointing there but who knows), how will she...enter it?

Will she somehow help R'hllor's Zombie Jon at the Wall repel a bunch of Other Zombies, or will she return through Dorne, like an inverse Aegon the Conqueror

Stay Safe fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 19, 2012

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

LooseChanj posted:

To be fair, there's been more book discussion in this thread than the last few.

Out of curiosity though - and please don't take this as mod sass; I'm just asking a question because I've never understood this - why does it matter? If people are enjoying themselves, what's the big deal? What's wrong with making jokes about books we all have read?

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Does anyone else think that something will come from Robb's legitimizing of Jon in Storm of Swords (at least in the north, the only place it would count)? Or was the letter used as a napkin during the Red Wedding?

I only ask this because I am just a girl, and know little of these things.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20

Dead Man Posting posted:

I have been curious for a while now, and please be honest: have you read the series? Or does ASoIaF not interest you at all?

When/if Dany ever does return to Westeros (everything is pointing there but who knows), how will she...enter it?

Will she somehow help R'hllor's Zombie Jon at the Wall repel a bunch of Other Zombies, or will she return through Dorne, like an inverse Aegon the Conqueror

People are assuming Jon will be good when he's resurrected. Jon being good would be too easy. Jon will be the evil ice antichrist, explicitly because Melisandre should have been protecting him but is too loving stupid to use her own powers.

It's a Song of Ice fighting Fire, not Ice loving Fire.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Does anyone else think that something will come from Robb's legitimizing of Jon in Storm of Swords (at least in the north, the only place it would count)? Or was the letter used as a napkin during the Red Wedding?

I only ask this because I am just a girl, and know little of these things.

well the only people who know about this are one of the mormonts and everyone in greywater marsh and I am waiting patiently for them to become relevant to the story beyond darting the necks of everyone trying to cross swamp country.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Oh ok so we'll never see it because we're never going to actually meet Howland Reed, probably just get some Bran-vision.

Which is what I usually get upon eating Wheat germ.

edit: wheat grrm

Nailati
Mar 13, 2007

Disgustipated

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

To be fair, there's been more book discussion in this thread than the last few.

Out of curiosity though - and please don't take this as mod sass; I'm just asking a question because I've never understood this - why does it matter? If people are enjoying themselves, what's the big deal? What's wrong with making jokes about books we all have read?

One of the reasons I powered through the last two books was so that I could read the Bad Thread. I've since gone back and read the previous 3 incarnations in their entirety and have laughed harder at certain segments than at anything else I've read on SA. Although I defer to mod wisdom, I think the book talk and the Bad Stuff are equally entertaining and don't preclude each other. But I am just a lurker and know little of such things.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Simon Draskovic posted:

... ... Darkstar? :confused:

... Ser Arthas Dayne, Sword of The Morning, obviously.

Chipolte_Away
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah, Life is Hilariously Cruel
Fan of Britches

Ambiguatron posted:

People are assuming Jon will be good when he's resurrected. Jon being good would be too easy. Jon will be the evil ice antichrist, explicitly because Melisandre should have been protecting him but is too loving stupid to use her own powers.

Good catch, it would make sense this dramatic moment in his life should change him, hopefully into more of a pragmatist. A lot of characters in the series have gone through this kind of change.

Jon did get what was coming to him. To me it's been a theme in the series that the shrewd amoral pragmatists (eg. Little finger, Varys, Martell, Tyrion, Tywin) have fared the best and those that go to far into altruism or evil end up destroying themselves (Cersi, Ned, Viserys, Rhaeger most of all).

Maybe Melisandre can bring back Ygritte for him too... so we can find out if Zombie's can make bastards?

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Edit: double post.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Dead Man Posting posted:

To go West you must go East. She is clearly going to go to Asshai, then circumnavigate the world. You gotta be a better reader.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Ah, but if you were a truly better reader you'd understand that GRRM is subverting the standard tropes of fantasy fiction. Because his writing has itself become a trope, he is therefore going to pull a triple-twist:

1) she had to go West to the Dothraki Sea to go East with a large army in order to go West.

2) She has to go East (to go West) to go further East, across into Old Valyria.

3) She then has to go West to go West.

See, if you understood the subtle hints the GRRM has been laying for the careful reader you'd totally see this coming, in the same way that Tyrion's obviously Aerys's second son.

Of course, there is a competing theory: that Quaithe/Asshai are completely ignored and she'll just go West because he's got two books to go and :supaburn:

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Nailati posted:

One of the reasons I powered through the last two books was so that I could read the Bad Thread. I've since gone back and read the previous 3 incarnations in their entirety and have laughed harder at certain segments than at anything else I've read on SA. Although I defer to mod wisdom, I think the book talk and the Bad Stuff are equally entertaining and don't preclude each other. But I am just a lurker and know little of such things.
This thread is about equal parts petty whining, hilarious satire, and insightful literary analysis. They even each other out pretty well.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I take our fanfiction very seriously, thank you, and don't appreciate that satire label. :colbert:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

There's nothing satirical about the Mountain that Investigates. It's a candid glimpse of a troubled soul as he finds his way in a world which doesn't care for his kindness.

Nailati
Mar 13, 2007

Disgustipated

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

the Mountain that Investigates

Actually, I lied. The Bad Stuff is way more entertaining than the book talk.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Though I enjoy a hearty dose of intellectually stimulating literary analysis, that which you might refer to as "book talk", I can appreciated the satirical weaving of this thread as well.

This thread is a rewarding read, truly: too rewarding apparently for EW in fact. (Entertainment Weakly, of course, as Entertainment Weekly loves ASOIAF, as they should)

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

Ambiguatron posted:

I can't wait for Jon to be an evil zombie king on the Wall and Bran to be an evil tree wizard from beyond the Wall. And then Arya comes back and knifes everyone in King's Landing for loving with her.

You know the only thing that would be better than the Starks coming back and kicking rear end? Dany doing anything with her dragons besides locking them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Question: Has GRRM ever mentioned if the Others actually pose a threat to the world outside Westeros? As far as I can tell they'd just melt if they went further south than King's Landing, let alone try invading Asshai.

Edit - Ah, who am I kidding? He's never going to mention them again.