Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
Bad news for Mongrel fans:

quote:

Mongrels friends, it is my unbearably sad duty to announce that we will not be returning for a third series on BBC THREE, a decision that has been made based on the fact that apparently you need more than two people watching a programme to make it successful. Crazy talk. I’d like to take this opportunity to thank everyone at BBC Comedy, BBC THREE and BBC Worldwide who have supported us so strongly... over the years, and helped us put our silly puppet show on the digital screens of the nation.

I’d also like to thank, from the bottom of my heart, all the writers, cast, crew and support team who have made a horribly challenging show such an utter joy to make. This news could not be less of a reflection on your brilliant work.

Most of all I’d like to thank those of you that loved watching Mongrels as much as we loved making it. It’s wonderfully reassuring to think that we weren’t mad after all, and that what we find funny, other people do too.

I’d like to believe that there’s room on television for a little show like ours; one that's not just another sitcom, one that tries to do things a bit differently and that tries to push a few boundaries here and there. Who knows, maybe we’ll find a that room in the future. I hope it has a minibar.

But why listen to me moan when you can listen to a chimpanzee singing.

Thank you for watching. Both of you

Adam Miller
Creator, Mongrels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Welp, I can pry the 7 off my remote now, looks like I won't be needing it any more.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Such a shame the BBC would rather squeaze out turds like Royal Bodyguard rather than comission us more Mongrels.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

SeanBeansShako posted:

Such a shame the BBC would rather squeaze out turds like Royal Bodyguard rather than comission us more Mongrels.

Unfortunately there are too many retards that watch turds like Royal Bodyguard.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Flatscan posted:

The ratings system can gently caress right off. It isn't like the BBC should give a drat anyways as they aren't shilling products to a certain group of people.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

SeanBeansShako posted:

The ratings system can gently caress right off. It isn't like the BBC should give a drat anyways as they aren't shilling products to a certain group of people.

"they're making programmes nobody watches why is my license fee justified?" is the answer.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

"they're making programmes nobody watches why is my license fee justified?" is the answer.

The cynicalness about British Telly must be strong enough energy wise to create a star at this point.

At least we got some good stuff in the seventies and eighties before it all went to pot :(.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I love Professional Masterchef, but man the non-pro version makes a nice change from French, French and more French. There's actual international cuisine in this one!

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Someone please tell this goon why Ben Elton is hated, I would but I can't even summon the strength of will to consider his comedic career for any longer than five minutes.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3461387

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

keep punching joe posted:

Someone please tell this goon why Ben Elton is hated, I would but I can't even summon the strength of will to consider his comedic career for any longer than five minutes.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3461387

Wikipedia's still blacked out then?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Wait, what happened to Ben Elton to make him so disliked?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Wait, what happened to Ben Elton to make him so disliked?
It's not what happened to him, it's who he is / what he did.

quote:

Ben Elton. Do you know this guy? He started out as an "alternative" comedian, railing against Thatcherism and the like, and now earns a fortune writing the librettos for truly awful West End musicals. I mean, his name has become a byword for shameless hackery. He's the biggest sell-out of his generation.

Cerv fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 18, 2012

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Cerv posted:

It's not what happened to him, it's who he is / what he did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSuMSu20avs

Ben Elton was never a 'right-on' comedian, he was a 'do whatever will get me the most money' comedian. He's kinda the opposite of Robert Newman who started out as a lad comic and now does stand-up shows about things like Peak Oil and US Imperialism.

Z-Magic fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 18, 2012

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008
They just did face to face noms and Michael Madsen came out with this "I can't stand another minute in this house with Denise. I feel she is emotionally disturbed"

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Z-Magic posted:

Ben Elton was never a 'right-on' comedian, he was a 'do whatever will get me the most money' comedian. He's kinda the opposite of Robert Newman who started out as a lad comic and now does stand-up shows about things like Peak Oil and US Imperialism.

Jesus christ. I didn't know. This is awful. gently caress you Ben Elton.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Hey, so why does the BBC care about ratings?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

It is a waste of money for any media company to produce media that nobody is paying attention to.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Trin Tragula posted:

It is a waste of money for any media company to produce media that nobody is paying attention to.

What's in the public interest isn't necessarily what the public is interested in.

Royality
Jun 27, 2006

Z-Magic posted:

What's in the public interest isn't necessarily what the public is interested in.

I don't think Mongrels counts.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Sion posted:

Hey, so why does the BBC care about ratings?

If they produce a load of stuff that nobody watches then it becomes really easy for people opposed to paying the TV license (ie. tories / douchebags) to go "why are we paying for this when nobody cares about it?" and then the invisible hand of the free market steps in and Rupert takes over.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

If they produce a load of stuff that nobody watches then it becomes really easy for people opposed to paying the TV license (ie. tories / douchebags) to go "why are we paying for this when nobody cares about it?" and then the invisible hand of the free market steps in and Rupert takes over.

I thought the point of the TV license was to basically let the BBC make and produce TV and radio that no one else would touch with a barge pole. Shouldn't the BBC be about really niche stuff that wouldn't get a voice anywhere else due to the UNIQUE WAY WE'RE FUNDED?

Porphyrogenitos
Jun 3, 2011

Z-Magic posted:

It's a shame that they took the Stewart Lee stand up section on Ben Elton off Youtube.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Sion posted:

I thought the point of the TV license was to basically let the BBC make and produce TV and radio that no one else would touch with a barge pole. Shouldn't the BBC be about really niche stuff that wouldn't get a voice anywhere else due to the UNIQUE WAY WE'RE FUNDED?

It should be, but see the above point about tories/douchebags.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Remember the BBC produces loads of stuff that other channels couldn't justify spending their money on. BBC4 is a commercial wasteland, but they still have the remit to do it. They have to pick their battles. If a weird little puppet sitcom isn't going to make it, then it isn't going to make it. Rather that than leave themselves defenceless against the naysayers like everyone's saying.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Mad Dogs is starting now.

lazyjane
Aug 24, 2003

Lemurs, Man, Lemurs
I watched 15 mins of Gypsy Blood and had to turn it off because I knew it would piss me off too much. Apparently it got even worse after that so I'm glad I did.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

SeanBeansShako posted:

Mad Dogs is starting now.

poo poo. thank the lord for sky go

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I've just been re-watching Monkey Dust properly for the first time in a while. It's such a wonderful pot of bleak darkness, it's such a shame the BBC seem to want to completely ignore its existence.

Wouldn't it be nice if the BBC Three stopped it's obsession with repetitive Family Guy every evening and showed Monkey Dust over and over and over again instead? I don't think I'd ever get bored.

Free Ivan Dobsky.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

Ben Soosneb posted:

I've just been re-watching Monkey Dust properly for the first time in a while. It's such a wonderful pot of bleak darkness, it's such a shame the BBC seem to want to completely ignore its existence.

Wouldn't it be nice if the BBC Three stopped it's obsession with repetitive Family Guy every evening and showed Monkey Dust over and over and over again instead? I don't think I'd ever get bored.

Free Ivan Dobsky.

I seem to recall they had problems licensing the music for Monkey Dust and that's why the second and third seasons were never been released on DVD.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

lazyjane posted:

I watched 15 mins of Gypsy Blood and had to turn it off because I knew it would piss me off too much. Apparently it got even worse after that so I'm glad I did.

Whoever shot all the wanky arty filtered filler shots with twee piano and electronic music inter-cut with footage of some chubby gypsy kid getting sick after a fair ride, horses having sex and monologues about how if someone disrespects you you have to fight them, fight them and fight them some-more for your honour, needs a slap. My big fat gypsy wedding set the appropriate tone to be honest.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Sion posted:

Inform, educate, entertain.

If nobody's watching something or listening to something, it should be given a fair chance to find an audience, and then it should go away and something else should come along. If contextual ratings are low, this is a reasonable indication that people are not being informed, educated or entertained, no? The licence fee is not an excuse to keep shovelling crap onto the schedules because the Controller of BBC Three's first cousin's mother-in-law likes it and thinks "it's the sort of thing you chaps should be doing".

*n.b. this assumes that the way in which ratings are calculated are reflective of the viewing habits of anyone other than the people who are on the research panels, which is a whole other skip full of worms.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Z-Magic posted:

I seem to recall they had problems licensing the music for Monkey Dust and that's why the second and third seasons were never been released on DVD.

It's been a while since I've seen it, but couldn't it just be changed? That's fairly standard proceedure as far as I know. Certainly is here in Ireland and I recently picked up Time Trumpet on DVD and the Bowie bit's been changed on there. That or my memory has completly given up on me.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Mickolution posted:

It's been a while since I've seen it, but couldn't it just be changed? That's fairly standard proceedure as far as I know. Certainly is here in Ireland and I recently picked up Time Trumpet on DVD and the Bowie bit's been changed on there. That or my memory has completly given up on me.
Changing it for DVD is disgusting vandalism. It should be banned, and the music rights holders told they have to just accept it.

Skins misses the Wild World singalong from the series 1 finale.
Quantum Leap is missing huge chunks of the music that's there to set the loving scene.
And many more.

When piracy is far better than the legal purchase. That's bad.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Mickolution posted:

They could and did change the music, I can't remember the specifics but I have definitely seen the same bit with different music. Possibly the series 1 DVD, I think it was one of those bits with the old couple dreaming of "the dykes again", which originally included some POD track.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Cerv posted:

Changing it for DVD is disgusting vandalism. It should be banned, and the music rights holders told they have to just accept it.

Lol, are you serious?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Mickolution posted:

Lol, are you serious?
Yes.

They've already allowed the music to be used on the programme. Why should they be allowed to gently caress it up because of something as arbitrary as the delivery medium?

I didn't say they shouldn't get paid.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Cerv posted:

Yes.

They've already allowed the music to be used on the programme. Why should they be allowed to gently caress it up because of something as arbitrary as the delivery medium?

I was under the impression that the money was the issue, though? I thought it wasn't like Bob Dylan or whoever says "yeah you can put it on the show but I won't allow it on the DVD". The ability for the audience to watch it over and over again increases the rights fee considerably. When they say a piece of music "couldn't get clearance", I always took that to mean "we couldn't afford to pay what they were asking", not "they said no unconditionally".

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.

Mickolution posted:

Lol, are you serious?

It's true, though. Quantum Leap is a travesty without a proper soundtrack.

I always wondered how Daria would/did turn out given the sheer amount of.alternative pop music in it.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Cerv posted:

Yes.

But who decides how much they get paid? Is it decided when the initial show is made? At that point, neither parties knows how successful a show will be or how many DVD sales there'll be.

Also, in the case of blanket agreements like the BBC have, they don't need to ask permission to use a piece of music, as far as I know, but do need permission to release it commercially, which is usually the stumbling block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Flatscan posted:

I'm pretty sure that the audience for The Royal Bodyguard consists entirely of people who tuned in too early for Mrs Brown's Boys.