Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
What's a good freeware program to create an image of a Windows-partition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

My wife's grandma is a wonderful lady who wants to check her Facebook and email her large family. Unfortunately, she's also a compulsive shopper/hoarder and has gotten herself into terrible debt many times with local auction sales, ebay, amazon.com, etc.

What's the easiest way to stop her from accessing those sites? My plan is to edit the hosts file, but maybe there's a more elegant solution? Has anyone tried Open DNS?

She's smart, but knows she has a problem, so she'll likely just complain about sites being down while quietly knowing why they're really inaccessible.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Jolan posted:

Use Tuxboot to make a bootable Clonezilla thumbdrive. It will work great for backup purposes, but if you're cloning to an SSD to boot from it, there's a need to align the partition or somesuch. In that case I advise to read/ask in the SSD Megathread whether Clonezilla will do the trick.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jolan posted:

http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm I use it and like it

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Crazy has and always will be a way to discredit or otherwise demean a woman's thoughts and opinions

VisAbsoluta posted:

Thanks, guys! Worked like a charm.

Watch out for clearing the .dat files. Synctoy leaves them everywhere.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I have a friend who lives far away. She is getting a new computer, and wants to donate her old machine. She is concerned about the safety of her personal data though, she has credit card numbers and financial data on her computer.

What is a idiot-proof tool I could recommend to her to wipe her harddrive? I want something automatic like DBAN, and I could just mail her a CD with DBAN installed, but I'd worry about like, her BIOS not being set to boot from CD, et cetera - so even that's not idiot proof enough.

I'm hoping for a freeware tool that will run from windows, and prompt you like 'do you want to completely gently caress your own computer', and then will write to the MBR, and then reboot the computer and run some program to wipe all physical disks. or something.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Crazy has and always will be a way to discredit or otherwise demean a woman's thoughts and opinions

mindphlux posted:

I have a friend who lives far away. She is getting a new computer, and wants to donate her old machine. She is concerned about the safety of her personal data though, she has credit card numbers and financial data on her computer.

What is a idiot-proof tool I could recommend to her to wipe her harddrive? I want something automatic like DBAN, and I could just mail her a CD with DBAN installed, but I'd worry about like, her BIOS not being set to boot from CD, et cetera - so even that's not idiot proof enough.

I'm hoping for a freeware tool that will run from windows, and prompt you like 'do you want to completely gently caress your own computer', and then will write to the MBR, and then reboot the computer and run some program to wipe all physical disks. or something.

Drill holes in the platters.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

SmellsOfFriendship posted:

Drill holes in the platters.

Also make sure you go all the way through. The last drilled hard drive I saw didn't even go all the way through the first platter.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I want to write back to her:

quote:

Dear Contessa,

I strongly suggest you urinate directly on your physical disks, while the computer is turned on, and reading/writing data. I believe this will securely 'wipe' your physical disks, and ensure no man woman or child will ever be able to steal your identity henceforth.

Sincerely,
MindPhlux

but, she's an elderly lady - and really, there's gotta be a program out there...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I guess this looks promising, but I don't have a machine to test it on

http://hddguru.com/software/2006.04.13-HDD-Wipe-Tool/

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

mindphlux posted:

I guess this looks promising, but I don't have a machine to test it on

http://hddguru.com/software/2006.04.13-HDD-Wipe-Tool/

There aren't any tools that can wipe the system drive (C:) while Windows is still running (you can delete non-system files and wipe empty space, but there's still a lot that can't be touched while Windows is running). A CD with DBAN is probably as good as it gets; you might have to walk her through the process over the phone if all else fails.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

Use Tuxboot to make a bootable Clonezilla thumbdrive. It will work great for backup purposes, but if you're cloning to an SSD to boot from it, there's a need to align the partition or somesuch. In that case I advise to read/ask in the SSD Megathread whether Clonezilla will do the trick.

Install Gentoo posted:

http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm I use it and like it

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll check these out. I'm just re-installed my old gaming rig to serve as a browsing/word processing computer, but I wanted to check the hard drives for errors (one had a CRC issue, and I'm pretty sure they're already 10 years old so it might not be a bad idea to do some maintenance anyways) and wanted to make an image just in case something went screwy and I had to re-install everything again.

(I only just realised that those drives have withstood at least ten years of intensive usage. Too bad Maxtor isn't around anymore.)

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Jolan posted:

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll check these out. I'm just re-installed my old gaming rig to serve as a browsing/word processing computer, but I wanted to check the hard drives for errors (one had a CRC issue, and I'm pretty sure they're already 10 years old so it might not be a bad idea to do some maintenance anyways) and wanted to make an image just in case something went screwy and I had to re-install everything again.

(I only just realised that those drives have withstood at least ten years of intensive usage. Too bad Maxtor isn't around anymore.)

CrystalDiskInfo will help you assess whether the drive is on its way out. Good = Functional, Caution = hosed.

Making an image is never a bad idea, though.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

CrystalDiskInfo will help you assess whether the drive is on its way out. Good = Functional, Caution = hosed.

Making an image is never a bad idea, though.

Thanks for the tip! I was thinking of just doing a chkdsk /f, but I haven't been up to date on best ways to deal with stuff on a home-built Windows-computer for a long time now.

Now just to wait until the image is copied to my backup drive and I'll give it a go. Shouldn't WinXP SP1 add USB2.0 drivers, by the way? Pretty sure I've got USB2.0 ports, but I'm getting some terrible speeds copying.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Jolan posted:

Some good suggestions to this so far, I like http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

quote:

Live imaging with Microsoft Volume Shadow copy Service
No need to shut down Windows to create a complete disk image of your PC.

c0burn fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 19, 2012

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
On my Eee PC running Windows 7 Home Premium (x86), I get an audio hiccup every 30 seconds when I'm running video. Doesn't matter if it's YouTube, something stored on the computer, or playing a DVD from an external drive. My audio driver is up to date, and I can't update my video driver because whenever I do, as soon as I reboot the computer the device manager installs the old one from the Windows servers. Does anyone know what's going on, or where I can get more information?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Jolan posted:

Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but Backup and Restore in Windows 7 can make a full drive image.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

The Aphasian posted:

My wife's grandma is a wonderful lady who wants to check her Facebook and email her large family. Unfortunately, she's also a compulsive shopper/hoarder and has gotten herself into terrible debt many times with local auction sales, ebay, amazon.com, etc.

What's the easiest way to stop her from accessing those sites? My plan is to edit the hosts file, but maybe there's a more elegant solution? Has anyone tried Open DNS?

She's smart, but knows she has a problem, so she'll likely just complain about sites being down while quietly knowing why they're really inaccessible.

I think opendns will let you block the sites you need. And you can point her router to it so that anything else on the network automatically has the same blocks. It seems like the most elegant option to me, plus you can manage it remotely.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I decided to set up a home server, using my MSDN-AA resources (and for the experience), running Server 2008 R2 DATACENTER (Datacenter because it sounds cool).
I'm having trouble setting up remote desktop and shares, for some reason even though remote desktop is enabled and has an exception in the firewall, nothing can connect. Another oddity is that shares on one drive cannot be read by any computer that connects to the network wirelessly, even though shares on others drives can be connected to fine.
Help with either problem would be nice.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Is there a consensus on the best free, lightweight image viewer for Windows? I checked out Wikipedia: Comparison of Image Viewers but don't really know where to start.

All I know is that Windows Photo Viewer for Windows 7 is absolute crap. No animated GIF support, what the hell.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Hatter106 posted:

Is there a consensus on the best free, lightweight image viewer for Windows? I checked out Wikipedia: Comparison of Image Viewers but don't really know where to start.

All I know is that Windows Photo Viewer for Windows 7 is absolute crap. No animated GIF support, what the hell.

irfanview. It will view any kind of image, and a lot of video formats (although it's kinda clunky for that). It can also do some basic batch processing and has plugins for ...I don't know what.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

SRQ posted:

I decided to set up a home server, using my MSDN-AA resources (and for the experience), running Server 2008 R2 DATACENTER (Datacenter because it sounds cool).
I'm having trouble setting up remote desktop and shares, for some reason even though remote desktop is enabled and has an exception in the firewall, nothing can connect. Another oddity is that shares on one drive cannot be read by any computer that connects to the network wirelessly, even though shares on others drives can be connected to fine.
Help with either problem would be nice.

Are all the desktops on the same workgroup? Also when you rdp in you might want to specify pc name. By which I mean dont rdp as administrator, rdp as pcname\administrator

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Is there any software people could recommend for XP that would help me manage 50 billion windows at once? I started a job at a corporate helldesk and have 3 major, 1 medium and 1 minor account assigned to me. In all I have around 50 various windows/apps open and it gets hard for me to find my way around.

I did write a few AHK macros to help me out with a bit but really I would love something like a stable, well-made clone of Linux's multiple desktop spaces for XP.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Virtualwin should do what you need. I use it extensively.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

GreenNight posted:

Virtualwin should do what you need. I use it extensively.

Thank you this is perfect :)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Remember how Superfetch was heralded as the thing for accelerating application starts and the booting of Windows?

Well, gently caress it. I finally found out why my Windows installation is making the disk work like an idiot for more than 10 minutes after desktop availability, dragging the system performance down. According to the resource monitor? Superfetch!

PUNCHITCHEWIE
Apr 4, 2009
IF I'M TALKING ABOUT FOOTBALL, IGNORE ME. I'M A FUCKING IDIOT.
I just spent two hours trying to figure out why I get odd stuttering in some games. About every 10-30 seconds or so the game hangs for a half second to two seconds. Swapped hardware around, switched between DX levels, a dozen other things blah blah blah, turns it disabling windows search indexing fixes it. I have a NAS device that might not play well with this service, just gonna recommend people turn that poo poo off if they see similar problems.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Are all the desktops on the same workgroup? Also when you rdp in you might want to specify pc name. By which I mean dont rdp as administrator, rdp as pcname\administrator

yes, and I tried that as both server\admin and ~pcname~\admin, it's still not working.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

SRQ posted:

yes, and I tried that as both server\admin and ~pcname~\admin, it's still not working.

Check the security event log on the target system, there may be useful info there.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My girlfriend got a new HP for Christmas, and today she was trying to find the games that come with Windows (7, in her case): Spider Solitaire, Solitaire, Hearts, etc. They don't seem to exist anywhere; even the "Games Explorer" folder is gone. The box for Games under add/remove Windows features is checked, though. What's going on? Did HP remove the games for some reason? I can't do much since I'm on the other side of the country for a few weeks.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

My girlfriend got a new HP for Christmas, and today she was trying to find the games that come with Windows (7, in her case): Spider Solitaire, Solitaire, Hearts, etc. They don't seem to exist anywhere; even the "Games Explorer" folder is gone. The box for Games under add/remove Windows features is checked, though. What's going on? Did HP remove the games for some reason? I can't do much since I'm on the other side of the country for a few weeks.

I have them on my HP laptop. Games has sub-components in the Windows features; are those things checked? If she's got her poo poo set up for remote assistance you could still help her. There's also team viewer and other outside tools like that.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

stubblyhead posted:

Check the security event log on the target system, there may be useful info there.

Not wanting to seem daft, but where would I find that? Googling gave me a few dozen different answers.
Also I turned off the firewall just to see if that was it, and it's still not working.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

SRQ posted:

Not wanting to seem daft, but where would I find that? Googling gave me a few dozen different answers.
Also I turned off the firewall just to see if that was it, and it's still not working.

Control Panel/All Control Panel Items/Administrative Tools/Event Viewer. Or just type event viewer in the search bar; probably faster that way. Expand Windows Logs on the left, select Security, and see if there are any relevant events at the time when you are trying to connect.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

stubblyhead posted:

I have them on my HP laptop. Games has sub-components in the Windows features; are those things checked? If she's got her poo poo set up for remote assistance you could still help her. There's also team viewer and other outside tools like that.

She said they are checked. I guess we'll try TeamViewer later.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

stubblyhead posted:

Control Panel/All Control Panel Items/Administrative Tools/Event Viewer. Or just type event viewer in the search bar; probably faster that way. Expand Windows Logs on the left, select Security, and see if there are any relevant events at the time when you are trying to connect.

I see a few "Logon" and "Special Logon" events at around those times, but reading the events I don't see what the problem is. They come out as "auditing successful"

precedence
Jun 28, 2010
Is there any good free movie making software for windows 7? windows movie maker keeps freezing on me. I don't need anything very in depth. Just want to make a slide show and add some sound.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I have two separate questions.

---

I've got two Windows 7 machines, my desktop and my HTPC. I've reinstalled GTA IV on my desktop to play it with my beefier hardware, higher resolution textures mod, and modded shaders. These shaders are supposed to make the game look fantastic, but apparently they have different affects on different systems. For me, my interiors and nights look far too dark, and the daytime is a bit too bright. So I need to edit the settings.

But to do it live, I want to use my HTPC. This way, I can edit the .ini file, and every five seconds GTA reloads the options.

After struggling with network options, I'm able to access the file on my C drive, but I don't have the access to modify and save the file. I'm completely stumped on what to do. Windows 7 won't let me add network permissions for any other kind of user than ones on my desktop.

Edit: All of a sudden, I'm finally able to use Homegroup to share this file, which now allows me to modify it. I wasn't able to earlier. gently caress you, Windows.

---

I've spoken about my Windows 7 tablet (Acer Iconia W500) in this thread recently. I use it as a mobile emulation machine. In its carrying bag are various controllers. I've got five in all; three original Nintendo controllers with USB adapters, a Logitech PC controller, and a 360 controller.

Of course, these controllers are never plugged in at the same time. If this was a desktop or a MAME cabinet, they were. But instead, I plug them in as needed. This is causing a problem: getting my various emulators to remember what controller is what.

This has become problematic especially since I went through and configured all my emulators for two player controller setup. I plug both controllers into a USB hub. To make things simple, I always kept the second player to the 360 controller. But then, when I come back to just playing as one player, with one controller plugged in, my control settings no longer work.

This is because my emulators think that first player was Controller01, and now it reads as Controller02, or whatever. It just gets all messed up. This is because Windows doesn't really track the controllers themselves; it just randomly drops one controller into a port number, the next into another, and so on. Even if I include the use of the USB hub, and put my 'Player 1' controller into the same hub port I was using, the port that Windows tells the emulator is using, can randomly change.

I need a program that is a go-between for the controllers and Windows, to simplify the port numbers. I need a program to see, whenever I plug my NES controller in, that it always gets read as USBCONTROLLER1 or something. If I have my SNES in, that controller is always USBCONTROLLER2. If it's my XBOX, it's number 5. N64 would be number 3, and the Logitech (used for PSX games) number 4.

---

In closing, why does Microsoft make things that should be simple, so loving difficult?

Revol fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 23, 2012

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Revol posted:

"Waaaa! gently caress you, Windows! M$ Sucks! Windows 7 won't let me do what I want! Waaaa!"

Better try Linux or a Mac.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Is there a way to pull up the Task Manager within a Remote Desktop connection, within another connection? If I ctrl-shift-esc it just opens the task manager for the highest level connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Sab669 posted:

Is there a way to pull up the Task Manager within a Remote Desktop connection, within another connection? If I ctrl-shift-esc it just opens the task manager for the highest level connection.

I often right click the taskbar in a blank area, and open task manager from the context menu.

You could always run taskmgr if you want, too.