Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade_Robot
Mar 18, 2009

LeapFrog posted:

Thanks again for the replies. I'm still a little hesitant towards Jujitsu because 1) I'm not sure how I feel about being that close with strangers and 2) It says in the description for the class "Pre- and post-fitness assessment testing will be administered." What does that mean?

Here's the Jujitsu team. Not sure I would fit in too well.

http://deltacollegiate.com/2011/11/brazilian-jiu-jitsu-tournament/

I know if you're socially anxious this is easier said than done, but just give it a shot. Every club loves loves loves new people of any shape and size. If you are a woman, this kind of goes double, because the best way to keep female students is to have other female students to train with, which is a chicken and egg kind of problem.

Now I love BJJ, but I don't know if BJJ is right for you. I do know that you can try it, and if it does turn out to be a room full of giant meatheads, you can always try something else. Life and BJJ are similar; if you want to expand your game, you have to work on the stuff you're bad at. And it sucks at first, but you get better at it, and eventually it's part of you.

My only worry is with some other styles is that sometimes they're taught by people who teach you to be even more afraid of the world. You know, like "THIS IS HOW I STAND EVERY TIME I USE A URINAL SO NOBODY CAN SNEAK UP BEHIND ME AND SMASH MY HEAD INTO THE FLUSH MECHANISM." BJJ and Judo tend to ... not have those people.

Anyway, good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Comrade_Robot posted:

My only worry is with some other styles is that sometimes they're taught by people who teach you to be even more afraid of the world. You know, like "THIS IS HOW I STAND EVERY TIME I USE A URINAL SO NOBODY CAN SNEAK UP BEHIND ME AND SMASH MY HEAD INTO THE FLUSH MECHANISM."

The RBSD syndrome. My first martial art before moving to MMA/SW was Krav Maga, and while the gym I went to had serious isntructors, focused on training with fully resisting iopponents and seemed pretty sensible overall it still had some tendencies in that direction. I can imagine that a lot of places do their very best to make their students feel less safe than when they first started.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

LeapFrog posted:

Thanks again for the replies. I'm still a little hesitant towards Jujitsu because 1) I'm not sure how I feel about being that close with strangers and 2) It says in the description for the class "Pre- and post-fitness assessment testing will be administered." What does that mean?

Here's the Jujitsu team. Not sure I would fit in too well.

http://deltacollegiate.com/2011/11/brazilian-jiu-jitsu-tournament/

Pretty much the only way to not fit in is to have poor personal hygiene. Other than that I have never not seen people fit in. Just give it a try for a week or two and if you like it, awesome. And if you don't then no harm done and try something else. You have nothing to lose and a lifetime of fun and health to gain.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Thoguh posted:

Pretty much the only way to not fit in is to have poor personal hygiene. Other than that I have never not seen people fit in. Just give it a try for a week or two and if you like it, awesome. And if you don't then no harm done and try something else. You have nothing to lose and a lifetime of fun and health to gain.

100% agree with that.

--
Thursday is the best day of the week. 1h30 of BJJ at noon and 3h30 of judo in the evening. Everyday of the week should be like that and I should get paid to train. Then my life would be awesome!

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
Chicks love the idea of their boyfriend being a fighter.

They'll never understand that you need to train twice a day every day because you're an addict and want to win every fight. That is why the guys who just talk in bars saying they are a fighter because look at my tapout affliction shirt, do really well with girls. They talk the talk, but they have the free time the girl likes to claim.

It does help being in shape however, but then your GF starts complaining about being fat, which she of course isn't, but youre so well trained from working out 2 times a day erry day, that she cant compete. And you'll be left wondering why she complains when its so easy if you just eat right and exercise and not reach for candy or starbucks.

Oftentimes I wish I was just a single monk for the rest of my life training for combat.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Syphilis Fish posted:

Oftentimes I wish I was just a single monk for the rest of my life training for combat.

Yah, that would be cool as loving hell.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Syphilis Fish posted:

same. i'd be the baddest motherfucker ever

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

KingColliwog posted:

100% agree with that.

--
Thursday is the best day of the week. 1h30 of BJJ at noon and 3h30 of judo in the evening. Everyday of the week should be like that and I should get paid to train. Then my life would be awesome!

Jesus. I wish I had the conditioning to do that.

My hard days are Tuesdays and Saturdays which are 2.5 hours of Thai boxing (30 minutes of rope, 30 minutes clinching, 30 minutes sparring, 1 hour pad/bag work) and after that I'm just loving dead.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Are those 3 hours and 30 minutes in one go? Because if so, I'm pretty stumped how you do it.
We have 2 hour training sessions, and after that I am completely famished, often to the point of feeling sick- adding an hour and a half onto that would probably outright kill me or turn my mind into some kind of super basic bestial state where I'll attack and eat the first edible thing I see, and I bet you'd look like a delicious gi wearing turkey at that point.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Bohemian Nights posted:

Are those 3 hours and 30 minutes in one go? Because if so, I'm pretty stumped how you do it.
We have 2 hour training sessions, and after that I am completely famished, often to the point of feeling sick- adding an hour and a half onto that would probably outright kill me or turn my mind into some kind of super basic bestial state where I'll attack and eat the first edible thing I see, and I bet you'd look like a delicious gi wearing turkey at that point.

Oh dude. I know that feeling. Try a post-workout slurpee from 7-11 during the summer. It's AMAZING.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Do any of you who do jits or judo get a sore sternum/rib cage? If I sneeze or cough (or even laugh) it feels like my diaphragm is trying to spasm its way out of my body.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

origami posted:

Do any of you who do jits or judo get a sore sternum/rib cage? If I sneeze or cough (or even laugh) it feels like my diaphragm is trying to spasm its way out of my body.

yes I've gotten that a few times. Watch your breathing when you train, if you hold your breath while someone is on top of you, it tends to happen more often. The weight and pressure of your partner also is a factor: these days, I only get it when I train with our local forest trolls, even taking a small breath under their side control is a monstrous struggle sometimes.

I'm just guessing though based on experience, I have no idea if I'm right.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Syphilis Fish posted:

They'll never understand that you need to train twice a day every day because you're an addict and want to win every fight. That is why the guys who just talk in bars saying they are a fighter because look at my tapout affliction shirt, do really well with girls. They talk the talk, but they have the free time the girl likes to claim.

It does help being in shape however, but then your GF starts complaining about being fat, which she of course isn't, but youre so well trained from working out 2 times a day erry day, that she cant compete. And you'll be left wondering why she complains when its so easy if you just eat right and exercise and not reach for candy or starbucks.

This is so spot on. If my relationship with my current girlfriend didn't predates Judo by a long while, it would probably have crashed and burned by now. It's quite annoying when your well being and your sanity depend on two things that don't mix together. I'd be so happy if she'd start doing judo. Our relationship would reach a level of perfection never seen before! Too bad it's never going to happen because she doesn't get it at all and would spend the majority of classes crying because she doesn't deal with pain particularly well!

CaptainScraps posted:

Jesus. I wish I had the conditioning to do that.

My hard days are Tuesdays and Saturdays which are 2.5 hours of Thai boxing (30 minutes of rope, 30 minutes clinching, 30 minutes sparring, 1 hour pad/bag work) and after that I'm just loving dead.

Well it's me that is impressed. Thai boxing look 10x harder on your conditionning than judo/bjj unless it's a randori/rolling class or there's a lot of exhaustion type of drills. I highly doubt I could do 30 minutes of rope and then do anything except curse my calves. I'd probably be half dead by the time the sparring was done and my padwork would consist of me projectile vomiting on the targets.

But hey "loving dead" is quite accurate to describe how I feel most of the time when I'm done and need to walk up from the 2nd basement our dojo is located in to my car.

Bohemian Nights posted:

Yeah they are. From 5 to 8h30pm. First class is intermediate class from 5 to 6h30 and then advanced class for the remaining 2 hours. The intermediate class is usually mostly technique with like 20 to 30 minutes of randori max so it's really not that hard. I mean, when I first started doing that I would often leave in the middle of the second class because I couldn't keep going, but your body gets used to it quite fast. On the rare occasion where both classes are mostly randori I just try to pick my opponents so I get a girl or a lightweight guy in about half of the rolls.

The BJJ is 5 hours earlier so it might as well be the day before, I'm usually 100% fresh by the time I get to judo. It's more the weight lifting I do on the off days that gently caress me up personally.

origami posted:

Yep, happened once and I had to stop going to judo for like a month or two because it would hurt too much. Then it was very sensitive for like a full year. It then got better but I would sometime slightly reinjure it and be in for a good month of pain every time someone would put his weight on me. I think I had actually injured it though so it might not be the same kind of pain you are experiencing.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 19, 2012

Ugrok
Dec 30, 2009
Whiny bitch story follows :

I started kung fu (viet namese style) in november, and i love it. I can feel my progress. I try to stay really humble and not to get carried away, i'm here for learning basically.

Tonight was our first sparring session in real conditions, with judges, referee, audience, etc. I was against a guy who just joined, a few weeks ago, a white belt like me. I noticed him before for being kind of a bragging oval office, saying things like "i wish we could punch people directly in the face" and that kind of bullshit. The match begun and he started punching like there was no tomorrow, well, it didn't look like sparring to me but like he wanted to hurt me really bad ; full strength in his blows (keep in mind we were wearing full protections, so really there was no way we could badly hurt each other). Seeing this, i begun to fight "seriously" as well, and i threw three or four very strong kicks (this is my strong point, i totally suck at punching, but kicks are fairly powerful - for a noob of course)which hit him every time.

Then this guy goes totally nuts, he stops, begins insulting me, tells me i'm cheating cause i go full strength with my kicks and don't hold my blows, accusing me of every sin on earth, telling me that he's gonna "smash my loving face". I stay totally calm despise the adrenalin rush and tell him i'm sorry if i hurt him, i tell him to calm down, that i didn't think i was hitting harder than he was, etc.

The fight ended nearly after this, i dropped a few more kicks and won the game.

But now, i just feel a bit bad about myself. I don't know if i behaved correctly ; theres a small testosterone filled part in me that tells me i should have destroyed him and insulted him as well, instead of trying to calm the situation... Of course, from a sport point of view, this guy just lost himself the game ; as the sifu said, he would be eliminated instantly for words like this during a real competition match ; and in the end i won ; but i can't help but think i should have "unleashed the beast" and go all out on him, even if it's not how i am at all...

What should i do in those situations ? Did i do well or not ? Am i an insecure whining prick ahahahah ?

Ugrok fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 19, 2012

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ugrok posted:

But now, i just feel a bit bad about myself. I don't know if i behaved correctly ;
[...]
What should i do in those situations ? Did i do well or not ?

if your sifu said you behaved correctly, then that's sort of the last word on it.

your opponent went too hard, you put him in his place and then he cries about it?

i don't think you should be worried that you should have gone even harder on him. it sounds like you handled it correctly, but we only have your point of view.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
sounds like you kicked his rear end and made him look stupid. I don't know what else you could have done.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
Agreeing with the above posters.

I have a guy in my class too that I teach, he just has no self control. Sparring is always 100% to him when he goes against people he can beat, and he has no regards for the safety and well being of his partners. But against me, he doesn't, though if he feels like he can, he will try to hit me as hard as he can. No control, same with Jiujitsu, total douche.

I leg kick him a lot. I'm actually wondering why we haven't gotten rid of him.

Ugrok
Dec 30, 2009
Thanks !

I did not totally dominate the guy, i don't think i was better than him, he landed as much punches as i did kicks. In the end we were pretty even scorewise, i think i won just because he penalized himself by yelling and insulting me... The thing that bothers me is that i just let him insult me without reacting but just told him to calm down ; i know it would have been stupid to react violently, but still, it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, hehe, gotta work on that ego a bit more i guess.

I spoke with a friend, who is a girl who practices with me, afterwards, and it appears that guy just likes to go all out even on weaker opponents. What is strange is that outside fighting he's not a bad guy, he's quite nice, but when he gets into it he snaps and gets crazy...

Ugrok fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 19, 2012

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Ugrok posted:

Thanks !

I did not totally dominate the guy, i don't think i was better than him, he landed as much punches as i did kicks. In the end we were pretty even scorewise, i think i won just because he penalized himself by yelling and insulting me... The thing that bothers me is that i just let him insult me without reacting but just told him to calm down ; i know it would have been stupid to react violently, but still, it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, hehe, gotta work on that ego a bit more i guess.

I spoke with a friend, who is a girl who practices with me, afterwards, and it appears that guy just likes to go all out even on weaker opponents. What is strange is that outside fighting he's not a bad guy, he's quite nice, but when he gets into it he snaps and gets crazy...

Don't worry about it. Just keep doin' what you're doing.

One of the new white belts was a bit of a spaz when he started a few weeks ago. Rolled him, and took a very measured and controlled approach, nothing too crazy. The other day, he came to the realization that he was a spaz, and appreciated me being calm about rolling him, and that he would try to be less spazzy. :unsmith:

It is possible for the spazzes to have that realization that they are being complete idiots.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
If someone loses their temper during sparring to the degree where they start threatening to smash your face, they probably shouldn't be allowed to train at your club anymore.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Syphilis Fish posted:

Well only a certain rather specific type of chick loves the idea of their boyfriend being a fighter, but just about every type of chick loves the idea of their boyfriend being physically active and fit. :colbert:

Fit people look good, being fit is associated with social confidence and it's sometimes even true, fit people are relaxed because they can unload and unwind by training and whatnot. They carry a relative healthy lifestyle. What's not to like about that? It's shocking how much wider-than-average shoulders, a flat stomach and legs built for lifting guys or throwing kicks can do. And butt. Chicks love a good butt, and nerds who train a ton tend to have a decent one.

This means that when we talked about training not helping with girls last page we were not entirely truthful. It does help - at least if you start from skinny fat couch potato and turn yourself into a confident fit looking grappler who can choke and throw motherfuckers out.

The chicks I know tend to look at cauliflower eared, broken nosed monsters with less than full appreciation of their alpha-maleness on the other hand. (Maybe because they need to train twice a day and chicks know it.) And we don't really have these "I'ma fightar!" tapout t-shirt guys around here. At least I don't think. Maybe we do and I don't go the same places, dunno.

Bohemian Nights posted:

If someone loses their temper during sparring to the degree where they start threatening to smash your face, they probably shouldn't be allowed to train at your club anymore.

Yeah. If someone did that here he'd be dq'd from sparring and told to go home and cool off at once and never do that again, in the least.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 19, 2012

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I'm going to my first Judo class tonight, looking forward to being thrown around by men in pajamas and being incredibly sore tomorrow!

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Pellisworth posted:

I'm going to my first Judo class tonight, looking forward to being thrown around by men in pajamas and being incredibly sore tomorrow!

Basically, you just described all there is to know about Judo.

LeapFrog
Nov 9, 2011

Comrade_Robot posted:

I know if you're socially anxious this is easier said than done, but just give it a shot. Every club loves loves loves new people of any shape and size. If you are a woman, this kind of goes double, because the best way to keep female students is to have other female students to train with, which is a chicken and egg kind of problem.

Now I love BJJ, but I don't know if BJJ is right for you. I do know that you can try it, and if it does turn out to be a room full of giant meatheads, you can always try something else. Life and BJJ are similar; if you want to expand your game, you have to work on the stuff you're bad at. And it sucks at first, but you get better at it, and eventually it's part of you.

My only worry is with some other styles is that sometimes they're taught by people who teach you to be even more afraid of the world. You know, like "THIS IS HOW I STAND EVERY TIME I USE A URINAL SO NOBODY CAN SNEAK UP BEHIND ME AND SMASH MY HEAD INTO THE FLUSH MECHANISM." BJJ and Judo tend to ... not have those people.

Anyway, good luck.

Thoguh posted:

Thanks again for the help from everyone. After looking into it more I don't think I'll be that comfortable with it. I'll probably just take something tamer like a walking class or maybe yoga

widunder
May 2, 2002

Syphilis Fish posted:

Try Judo, the Netherlands is pretty good at Judo, and straight up grappling is rare and downright terrible in most places to be honest. Avoid any places that just have mma classes, 70% of the time it will be kickboxing instruction + cardio and then you'll crapple with gloves on for a few minutes against people that don't know how to shrimp from under mount etc. The instructor never spars and is an old kickboxer.

With a BJJ background you will destroy most of the judoka's on the ground, but they generally practice it still, but judo competition is legit. There's a couple good places in the west, but Im not too familiar with east.
I got in touch with the Nijmegen coach who apparently is a purple belt and looked terrible in the two videos I found of him but who knows. €120 for the semester and a month free "if I get some student friends to sign up". It doesn't sound that great but I'll check it out anyway, maybe I can do it and judo at the same time. If the instruction isn't great, it'll at the very least be a nice way to keep up my general unfitness.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Oh, and thanks thoguh and syphillus, you're completely right about that throw I mentioned. I completely forgot how badly it fit into combos. I'll stick to the normal poo poo.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

LeapFrog posted:

Thanks again for the help from everyone. After looking into it more I don't think I'll be that comfortable with it. I'll probably just take something tamer like a walking class or maybe yoga
In a few years time when you finally stop making excuses and try a martial art and love it, you'll post here saying how much you wish you started it years ago.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Nierbo posted:

In a few years time when you finally stop making excuses and try a martial art and love it, you'll post here saying how much you wish you started it years ago.

Honestly, I don't think she was really all that into the idea of martial arts but just wanted a social, active hobby.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

LeapFrog posted:

Don't throw the idea out completely.

Nearly all clubs worth their salt let you watch classes and join in for free just to see if it is for you. You might be surprised!

Though yoga is pretty fun too :v:

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I've got a 2-3 day judo camp starting today. Excited as hell. Lifting weights for a few months has seriously made a difference in how I'm able to move my opponents around and stopping them from moving me around. I'm doing lots of back and ab work and not just concentrating on chest and biceps like I used to in high school. There's such a huge difference doing a bodybuilding routine vs a strength routine.

e: Yes, its friday here. I'm posting from the future.
e2: Its going to be sooooooo good to do randori with someone else from a different club and see what sort of game they have and heaven forbid, train with someone at the same level as me.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 20, 2012

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Nierbo posted:

I think this might be me.

Had my first session of MT today. My friend came with me but he had to leave after the warm-up because it was too much exercise for him :( I think it gave him some food for thought on his lifestyle however.

One of the things I've really noticed is the way my body aches after different MAs. BJJ leaves my quads and back (from arching to throw people off) aching, wrestling leaves my neck really stiff, and MT apparently leaves my arms feeling like weights and my abs hurt after all of them.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

The doctor's verdict on my ingrown toe is that it's going to fix itself in 3-6 months by PUNCHING THROUGH THE FRONT OF MY GODDAMN TOE. Ugh.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
Fighting in NAAFS Februari 18 super pumped. Fighting a rival school too. Gotta represent.

Doing 10 extra pushups for every post.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

The doctor's verdict on my ingrown toe is that it's going to fix itself in 3-6 months by PUNCHING THROUGH THE FRONT OF MY GODDAMN TOE. Ugh.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
What the hell, dude. What the gently caress. Stop it.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Pellisworth posted:

You're gonna have a blast! It'll take a while until you can do anything and not feel like a complete idiot with 0 coordination, but if you hang in there you're in for a lifetime of awesomeness.

Post a trip report!

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

What the gently caress? That is considered ok and acceptable?

Like the doctor looked you in the eye and said. You know, you have a nail here, it's going to keep on growing. It will ever so slowly push on your skin going downward until it puncture it and then will keep growing until it comes on the other side.

Do you have something to help the pain or whatever? I just... what the christ, we can cure many kinds of cancer but the only thing we can do against a loving nail slowly growing through your toe is wait it out?

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 20, 2012

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Some kids have joined my judo class. One of the older guys has like a million step kids and has brought three of them in for the last two weeks. They seem to enjoy it. There are now enough kids that the kids can train with each other. It's great that the club is getting some new blood. I hope these kids stick with it so in 2-3 years I might have a few new training partners.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

...see a different doctor. I'm not saying that guy is wrong, but if my doctor told me that was going to happen I'd want a second opinion. Can't they like, lift it up and cut away at it a bit? I've had an ingrown toenail from just cutting it too short in the corner and it was just a ten minute thing with a scalpel to fix.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
The one time I had an ingrown toenail bad enough to go to a doctor about it he just went in and cut it out. It hurt like a motherfucker but the ingrown nail was no more and it healed up fairly quickly.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

This is kind of a special case. I've had ingrown toes cut out four times when I was a teenager. I don't want to post pictures because it's gross, but basically I broke my toe, and it made the toe malformed. Letting the toe keep growing forward will actually cut off this weird lump of flesh I've got at the front of the toe and return my toe to a normal shape.

It's not going down a side or anything, it's just pushing directly forwards. Imagine that you have a lump at the end of your toe growing upwards over the path of the nail.

Also, you don't notice the pain of an ingrown toe most of the day. If you hit it at the wrong angle it hurts like hell, but it's fine for most stuff. For example, if I were to hold somebody in side control, with the end of my toes touching the floor, it would be agony. But I can run, skip, lift and box and it's barely noticable. The pain level will stay about the same, I think it kills the nerves as it goes.

I'm tossing up whether or not to do some Muay Thai down the line a bit. I figure if I was good at it I'd never hit my toes, but I'm bad at it so I probably will.

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

KingColliwog posted:

You're gonna have a blast! It'll take a while until you can do anything and not feel like a complete idiot with 0 coordination, but if you hang in there you're in for a lifetime of awesomeness.

Post a trip report!

Babby's first judo class:

TUCK YOUR CHIN
SLAP THE MAT
WASH YOUR GI

Had a good time, about a dozen guys training tonight, 2-hour long session. The sensei had one of the brown belts show me the very basics while everyone else did their thing, since I'm completely new to judo. We went over how to fall (backward, side, forward) and drilled that for a bit, then he showed me the grips and how to "walk" (shuffle). We then worked on two throws, osoto gari and one I can't remember the name of. The basic backward and forward throws. We didn't actually throw each other, just drilled through the leg and armwork for each of the two throws. He had me try each 10x and critiqued, I did each maybe 40x. Then we did some endurance/strength training exercises at the end.

Really awesome and welcoming group of people. I'll be back next week!

I'm not too sore right now, the worst part is I skinned my elbows a little because I don't spread my arms wide enough when I slap the mat and so my elbows take more of the fall than they really should. Of course, that'll change when I start getting thrown.

• Locked thread