Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

teethgrinder posted:

Shame Descent is dead too. D3 was pretty drat good! They changed the formula quite significantly, but I think it was a better game for it. The controls were drat solid too.
Wait, are you saying the controls in Descent 3 were good?? We must have played a different game or something. I played & loved the first two, so I tried D3 out, and I could not aim the drat ship at all. No matter how I adjusted the settings, or if I did kb+m, kb+joystick, or game-pad, it controlled like poo poo, if felt like I was just bobbing around randomly if I tried to move any direction other than straight forward. I got it off of GOG, though, so maybe there's just something wrong with their version?

I agree it's a shame the series is dead, though. Flying around the levels in the first two games was a blast, even if I kept getting lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!
Carmageddon aged more gracefully than Carmageddon 2 that's for sure. Esp considering I can play the former at native resolution for my monitor via a glide wrapper and all the gfx turned on. Carmageddon 2 always felt more sluggish to me, and I really didn't care for the peds there, or the step down in graphics, still a solid game tho

I just wish Carmageddon 1 wouldn't keep crashing every time I finish this one race =/

Would looove if Gog.com got their hands on them.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Megadyptes posted:

In the UK the BBFC (official ratings dudes) refused to classify the game when it was released and Stainless Software had to replace the humans with zombies for the bastards to give it a rating

Stainless actually took this to court, and it was ruled that the BBFC aren't allowed to just refuse to rate something because they've decided it's icky and gross, so the uncut version did eventually get released.

The BBFC have tried pulling poo poo like that several times, and each time they've been smacked down in court. They sometimes need reminding that they're a ratings board, not arbiters of moral turpitude for the nation.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Dominic White posted:

Stainless actually took this to court, and it was ruled that the BBFC aren't allowed to just refuse to rate something because they've decided it's icky and gross, so the uncut version did eventually get released.

The BBFC have tried pulling poo poo like that several times, and each time they've been smacked down in court. They sometimes need reminding that they're a ratings board, not arbiters of moral turpitude for the nation.

You say this, but as far as I can tell it's the poorly kept secret quest of all ratings boards.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Andrigaar posted:

You say this, but as far as I can tell it's the poorly kept secret quest of all ratings boards.

In most other countries, the boards seem to get away with it, admittedly. In the UK? They've not exactly got the greatest batting average.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
The company that made Carmageddon TDK or whatever it was called was strange. I interviewed them at an E3 asking about the Carmageddon series since I didn't give a poo poo about the other shovelware they had and the PR guy didn't even want to talk about it and told me he didn't like that type of game and didn't know why they published it and was actually talking down his own game then tried to make me play some kiddie games instead.

It was a horrible game. Carm 1 and 2 are both great, I do want both, but think I'd be playing the second more.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Rock Paper Shotgun asked Stainless about a re-release of Carma 1 & 2 back in July.

quote:

RPS: Is there any scope to re-release the original games too, or is that tied up in whatever’s left of SCI?

Neil Barnden: We go round and round with the discussion on this one. We do own everything, so if we want to we can – we absolutely own the rights to all the previous code, even the stuff that’s Carmageddon-related that we didn’t work on ourselves. It’s all ours. But I think because it’s so easy to go online and find a copy of Carmageddon from a warez site or whatever, it doesn’t feel to us like there’d be an awful lot of point in just rereleasing the originals. We had talked about it, but on our website now we’ve got guys talking about how to get it running on Windows 7, various patches which make it look nicer and high-res, so rather than try and shut them down and go after the people distributing the game, we just thought we’ve got to embrace that and let ‘em have it. They can do with it what they want, because there’s been a really loyal, core modding community who’ve continued to put stuff out for the games. They’re still going.

RPS: And they’re keeping the name alive, which must be so valuable when you’ve got a new one coming out?

Neil Barnden: That’s right. So, our aim is to concentrate on the new one and let the guys discuss getting the best out of the old ones openly on the forums.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

The Kins posted:

Rock Paper Shotgun asked Stainless about a re-release of Carma 1 & 2 back in July.

They still ought to release the originals through a reputable vendor so people don't have to go to the pirate bay if they want a copy.

Aside from that, that's the kind of attitude and respect for loyal fans I like to see.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
What? The people who made a game about running over old ladies are actually cool dudes?!?!

But yeah, a gog version would be nice so people didn't have to warez it, maybe they don't know about GOG?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Megadyptes posted:

But I managed to get my hands on an original uncensored version. :smug:

The 'blood patch' was downloadable from BBS boards and was included on the CD for the max pack.

If they didn't have the timed trials, I'd be happy. Jump these buildings in order, no thanks.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dominic White posted:

They sometimes need reminding that they're a ratings board, not arbiters of moral turpitude for the nation.

They've never really recovered from the loss of Mary Whitehouse and her indignant rage.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

So I'm kinda stoked for Syndicate coming out tomorrow. Does GOG tend to release at the same time of day? Would it potentially be up by midnight PST? I'm wondering if I can stay up and squeeze in an hour or two of the game.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So is Syndicate actually good if you never played it back in the day?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Unlucky7 posted:

There's about three pages of discussion on this with several posts summarising it's good and bad points.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I've got really fond memories, but I don't think the UI will quite hold up. Here's hoping I'm wrong.

I still have the retail box somewhere.

Lockmat
Oct 2, 2005

Come on, let's go set some prostitutes on fire.
Grimey Drawer

404notfound posted:

So I'm kinda stoked for Syndicate coming out tomorrow. Does GOG tend to release at the same time of day? Would it potentially be up by midnight PST? I'm wondering if I can stay up and squeeze in an hour or two of the game.

GOG generally release their games at 13:00 CET.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Lockmat posted:

GOG generally release their games at 13:00 CET.
Yup, it's there now.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Unlucky7 posted:

It is, but it will inevitably feel a little simplistic and barebones in certain respects today. I think the sequel, Syndicate Wars, has better stood the test of time in terms of storytelling and gameplay. Nevertheless, the original remains well-worth playing, especially if you ever plan on going through the second one as well.

EDIT: Here's a handy tip for whoever's never played Syndicate before. It's a cyberpunk-type game, so when things get rough, do drugs. Press both mouse buttons simultaneously and watch your agents go ballistic as they're instantly pumped full of mad boosters that briefly turn them into fully-automated genocidal monsters. Then wait until they've shot everything in sight (which won't take long).

And speaking of Syndicate Wars:

Dominic White posted:

There's a source-port in progress. Right now it's a little rough around the edges, but it lets you run Syndicate Wars on modern Windows PCs.

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Last time I tried that source port it ran way way way too fast. YMMV but with Dosbox you can dial down the speed so it's close to normal
It's been a little while since I played the source port (which seemed excellent at the time already), but if memory serves the speed really shouldn't be an issue. By default, Syndicate Wars runs at full throttle, and on today's systems it just becomes unplayable. What you do is slow down the game simply by pressing the minus key on your keyboard - repeatedly - while playing. This should be sufficient to render it playable on anything, and is a better alternative to reducing the number of clock cycles in DOSbox anyway, since that typically results in jerkiness.

Sombrerotron fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jan 19, 2012

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

AxeManiac posted:

What? The people who made a game about running over old ladies are actually cool dudes?!?!

But yeah, a gog version would be nice so people didn't have to warez it, maybe they don't know about GOG?

Yeah, I don't really understand their sentiment. It wouldn't cost them anything to hand over the games to Gog, right? And Gog doesn't seem interested in going after pirates, like at all, so there'd still be that option for the really, really cheap people.

Seems like they're following the discussions on their forum, I can't imagine noone there haven't heard of Gog.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Yeah, I don't really understand their sentiment. It wouldn't cost them anything to hand over the games to Gog, right? And Gog doesn't seem interested in going after pirates, like at all, so there'd still be that option for the really, really cheap people.

Seems like they're following the discussions on their forum, I can't imagine noone there haven't heard of Gog.

It costs legal fees at the bare minimum, which is more than is worth if they're happy with people distributing for free.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Im one of these nostalgia users that prefer buying their games on GOG, patched than swimming into warez sites hoping i dont get an unwanted guest with the game. With a little effort they just give the originals to GOG and will get some extra income they dont right now because they look away if the fans pirate their games.

Is kind of nice that they're not cocks over their old games but kinda lazy at the same time in my opinion.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Or why not just declare it freeware, like Rockstar did with GTA1/2? Several other game companies have done that too, like EA with the first Red Alert & the first 2 C&C games.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Eh! Frank posted:

Wait, are you saying the controls in Descent 3 were good?? We must have played a different game or something. I played & loved the first two, so I tried D3 out, and I could not aim the drat ship at all. No matter how I adjusted the settings, or if I did kb+m, kb+joystick, or game-pad, it controlled like poo poo, if felt like I was just bobbing around randomly if I tried to move any direction other than straight forward. I got it off of GOG, though, so maybe there's just something wrong with their version?

I agree it's a shame the series is dead, though. Flying around the levels in the first two games was a blast, even if I kept getting lost.

Definitely sounds like something wrong on your or GOG's end because Descent 3 controlled just fine.

I didn't even realize it was on GOG though, I've still got my CD's laying around. :I

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Arcsech posted:

Or why not just declare it freeware, like Rockstar did with GTA1/2? Several other game companies have done that too, like EA with the first Red Alert & the first 2 C&C games.

You'll notice that in those cases (and also with Bethesda giving away Arena and Daggerfall), they have newer incarnations in the same series of games that they're trying to actually sell. Giving away old stuff for free can promote your new related thing, but if you don't have a new related thing, then there's not as much return.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Yeah, I don't really understand their sentiment. It wouldn't cost them anything to hand over the games to Gog, right?

Well there's legal costs but yeah I still don't think the argument makes sense.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Wait, is Carmageddon 2 the one that had a button for swinging open your car door and smashing it into pedestrians?

Because that ruled.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Definitely sounds like something wrong on your or GOG's end because Descent 3 controlled just fine.

I didn't even realize it was on GOG though, I've still got my CD's laying around. :I
I doubt there's anything different about the GOG version. Might depend on control method.

I mostly played with a joystick, but when I got into multiplayer, I went joystick + mouse. I've always used a joystick left-handed, but a mouse right-handed. Between the two I had enough buttons, and the fine control was great for sniping with the mass driver.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Wait, is Carmageddon 2 the one that had a button for swinging open your car door and smashing it into pedestrians?

Because that ruled.

Yep. Can't remember if I ever managed to pull it off though. I also loved all the power-ups that were basically like typing in cheat codes, making peds tiny, giving them huge heads or lowering gravity.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Carmageddon 2 still has the most ridiculously impressive car-damage system I've ever personally seen. Are there any other racing crashing games where you can actually wrap a car around a lamp post?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Yep. Can't remember if I ever managed to pull it off though. I also loved all the power-ups that were basically like typing in cheat codes, making peds tiny, giving them huge heads or lowering gravity.

Pinball mode and low gravity was always good for a giggle. They also used to spawn in the same places, with one map having the pinball mode pickup at the top of a vertical jump; make the jump and you start bouncing around the map....hammering off <enter> to repair after each bounce.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Doc Hawkins posted:

Carmageddon 2 still has the most ridiculously impressive car-damage system I've ever personally seen. Are there any other racing crashing games where you can actually wrap a car around a lamp post?

Even the first one was really good. When I realised that finishing the race was boring and getting all the people was near impossible I won by destroying all opponents cars. :unsmigghh:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Doc Hawkins posted:

I was always a little miffed that my worst enemies always were those hazard-colored course indicator/tank obstacles. Hit that sharp edge at any speed and your car turns into two smaller cars.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Bleh, syndicate doesnt work fullscreen for me. Works fine in a window. It's just black full screen.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Hav posted:

Pinball mode and low gravity was always good for a giggle. They also used to spawn in the same places, with one map having the pinball mode pickup at the top of a vertical jump; make the jump and you start bouncing around the map....hammering off <enter> to repair after each bounce.
Don't forget the suicidal-pedestrians pickup.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Because that ruled.

Yep, downside to this is you didn't actually get points for it. When they swung open they counted as different entities or some such, I never got anything for it anyway.

With the gull-wing doors on cars like the De'gory'un (Driven by Russ T, don't gently caress with me I know everything about Carmageddon holy poo poo), if you swung the doors open in mid-air the car would actually get a little lift and start gliding.

I remember downloading about 100 different custom made cars for that game. One of my favourites was the Led Sled, which was, well, a Lead Sled. Inside the doors were two giant spinning blades, and the doors would open in a suicide door kind of fashion, so they'd swing back and these two giant chainsaws would be spinning into a pedestrian's face.

There was also a custom-made giant-rear end machine that had an open front with two giant, spinning rolling pins covered in teeth on the inside. If a pedestrian was caught in the mouth of the vehicle, they were gibbed on the inside and the gibs would come out of a funnel in the back. Goddamn that game had such a brilliant modding scene.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Sombrerotron posted:

Don't forget the suicidal-pedestrians pickup.

Paired with Pedestrian electro-bastard ray. :science:

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Carmageddon is like 12 year old boys somehow managed to make a game and it owns. So much little stuff in that game was done right, both of them. Just amazing the amount of detail that went into it. drat, now I'm hurting for some pedestrian crushing.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
The clunky movement, the weird font and the NPCs moving at blinding speeds are all turning me off Ultima VII. Are there any mods/fixes that I need to know anout to make the game more enjoyable?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Kikkoman posted:

The clunky movement, the weird font and the NPCs moving at blinding speeds are all turning me off Ultima VII. Are there any mods/fixes that I need to know anout to make the game more enjoyable?

Well, you should probably be playing it in the open-source engine remake Exult rather than playing the original.

Apart from that I can't think of anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Also try GeneForge or Avadon The Black Fortress, two new games that are pretty drat awesome and deep and classic RPG without all the stupid hang ups from UI/interface.

Well some of them still exist, hate having to hit G to randomly pick stuff up off the ground.