Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I am basically the worst at mounting tires. I keep hoping that premounts will catch on better here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Gluing tires, building diffs and building shocks: all annoying but I get through them by making them 'assembly line' style jobs so for tires I clean all the beads, clean/scuff all the wheels, then glue all the insides, let them sit, then do the outsides, etc. Must easier than doing them all one by one.

Actually screwing everything together is really annoying too, so the next (and final? probably not) RC purchase I want is a Hitachi electric screwdriver with various torque settings, like a power drill. Bender on the Axial blog mentioned a particular model that I've had my eye on, it's like £50/$60-70 so I've been biding my time but I'm definitely getting one at some point.

At least the chores of building race packs and truing motors is gone now :)

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
I picked up a little Ryobi power screwdriver awhile back and it's GREAT. Should have snagged one a long time ago... makes working on the cars a breeze. Still need to get a good set of tips for it though, I got an integy set and they're garbage :(

And yes, gluing tires is the worst.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Has anyone seen the new KO radio that's coming out? Properly modular, with a rotating screen, left-handed version, even an option for a stick instead of wheel (so a trigger/stick combo). Looks really interesting!

Nurnberg Toy Fair is coming up and it looks like KO, Pro-Line (3 new off-road racing tires) and others are starting to announce their stuff early, but I can say that HPI has some pret-ty sweet things coming out. Can't wait to give them a run :)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Gluing tyres, at least for onroad, is pretty easy. At the start I was an idiot who brought the tyre mounting tool, but once you have got a hang of gluing tyres, it's not bad. I have had bad experiences with premounts (lovely glues or brittle rims) and much prefer gluing my own

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I actually enjoy working on diffs (at least the 3 fluid diffs in the slash) and suspension, but I hate gluing tires.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

It's been a while since I posted in this thread, which tends to be a good sign since I seem to be "That asshat what only posts when his poo poo breaks." I see someone mentioned the new Traxxas XO-1 a few pages back. That thing is balls the gently caress out insane. 0-100mph in 5 seconds? Sheesh.

Also, it seems i'm assembling a fleet of small, coax helis. I am somehow up to 3 at this point, although my AH-64 is down due to a busted stabilizer bar and broken tail rotor. I need to get around to fixing that at some point...

Anyways, have any of you guys had experience with the Traxxas E-Z Start system? My Revo is currently sitting for the time because for some reason, my starter refuses to catch. Hook the starter box up, hit the button... You can hear the motor spinning freely, but it refuses to catch and turn the engine over. It's acting like it won't engage. Any ideas?

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
Ugh, so I caved tonight and picked up a car to run VTA at the new local onroad track.

djhaloeight
Jan 23, 2007

techno mafia.
I already had to rebuild the slipper clutch on my Stampede. Apparently it wasn't adjusted properly at the factory and it burned out one of the pads, and it when I took it apart it just crumbled apart and fell out. I was wondering why I wasn't able to pull any wheelies. New pads installed, clutch adjusted properly. Wheelies galore!

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Finished the body today

Not as good as our resident pro SGT. Squeaks, but good enough to be on the track.

Probably get some track time tomorrow and end up running my first race with it on Tuesday night.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
Nice and clean! Perfect for racing.

And I hear ya about diffs. The touring car I just picked up has the hardest diffs I've ever had to put together. Ugh, whole car uses hex screws, except the diffs use tiny 2x6 phillips screws. Snapped one right in half putting it in. Now I've got to go replace the stupid case.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

djhaloeight posted:

I already had to rebuild the slipper clutch on my Stampede. Apparently it wasn't adjusted properly at the factory and it burned out one of the pads, and it when I took it apart it just crumbled apart and fell out. I was wondering why I wasn't able to pull any wheelies. New pads installed, clutch adjusted properly. Wheelies galore!

I had a similar problem. I have not used my Stampede for a week now. We were buried in snow and the MMP and NeuCastle motor are not water proof. Also one of my rear wheels is crooked even though all the linkages and driveline is straight. I think all the burning out of wheel hexes may have damaged the wheel itself, but I've been too lazy to check. I've had to work on my 99 Dodge 3500 Cummins instead. Stupid fluid changes galore.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Someone posted up a TON of pics from the Novak race I went to a couple weeks ago. Neat to see your car in action close up!

And a little something for the sponsor.... :tipshat:

djhaloeight
Jan 23, 2007

techno mafia.
^^^ Cool pics!

Deeper and deeper I'm getting back into this hobby. I picked up a Rustler VXL yesterday, along with another 2S LiPo and a 3S Lipo for the Stampede. Finally getting the itch to swap the pinion and see what it'll do on the straight. :v:

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I got one of my RL friends roped into coming to the track with me on Tuesday. I'm gonna run my RC8e and he's gonna see if he can murder my Slash 4x4.

Hopefully I can make a racer out of him :D

djhaloeight
Jan 23, 2007

techno mafia.
drat.

I put a 3S LiPo in my Rustler today. drat. That's all I can say. Even with the stock gearing, drat. I didn't attach my Garmin or my phone to it to verify speed, but I'm guessing it was close to 50. I had to gradually feather up the throttle or it would just flip, even at speed. After 10 minutes, I wrecked and it went end over end over end so bad I snapped the left caster block. Luckily I remembered Pep Boys carries Traxxas parts so I ran up there to get a replacement and had it back up and running in about 25 mins.

I can't imagine how quick it would be with the optional pinion gear. Jeez.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

So HPI ha shown off gas (as in not nitro) 1/8 size engines in a few of their products at the Nuremberg toy fair. cheaper, easier to find fuel is probably the only thing going for ICE engines in the hobby now. What other benefits is gas going to have over nitro? Will we start seeing 4 stroke make it to surface vehicles, and then turbo and supercharging? How much headroom is left in combustion engines for hobby vehicles? Lipos, brushless have made EP vehicles fast, clean, and cheaper to run than GP, so I'm not sure HPI should have dumped so much research money into new fuel types for small engines.

Discuss.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Laserface posted:

So HPI ha shown off gas (as in not nitro) 1/8 size engines in a few of their products at the Nuremberg toy fair. cheaper, easier to find fuel is probably the only thing going for ICE engines in the hobby now. What other benefits is gas going to have over nitro? Will we start seeing 4 stroke make it to surface vehicles, and then turbo and supercharging? How much headroom is left in combustion engines for hobby vehicles? Lipos, brushless have made EP vehicles fast, clean, and cheaper to run than GP, so I'm not sure HPI should have dumped so much research money into new fuel types for small engines.

Discuss.

Probably way easier to keep tuned than nitro.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Also cleaner and possibly quieter (a real problem in Europe and Japan, tracks near housing estates are in real danger of being shut down). The tech has been in RC planes for a while, so like LiPo and brushless it just makes sense to borrow the idea.

Just so you guys know, we expect it to be about 15cc, with power similar to the 4.6 in the current Savage, and it should be out by the end of the year (late summer/autumn). I'd expect pricing to be about the same as a Savage Flux to start, but running costs will be far cheaper.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

That's cool, but I'm just hoping right now that the CR8 sees the light of day. I want one sooooo bad.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

krushgroove posted:

Also cleaner and possibly quieter (a real problem in Europe and Japan, tracks near housing estates are in real danger of being shut down). The tech has been in RC planes for a while, so like LiPo and brushless it just makes sense to borrow the idea.

Just so you guys know, we expect it to be about 15cc, with power similar to the 4.6 in the current Savage, and it should be out by the end of the year (late summer/autumn). I'd expect pricing to be about the same as a Savage Flux to start, but running costs will be far cheaper.

From the looks of them, they are two stroke? Will we ever see 4 stroke mainstream in land rc?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
2-stroke, just like the Baja/large scale engines. OS did a 4-stroke ages ago in the days of TGX & Super Ten but it was too expensive and not popular. It could make a comeback I suppose. I loved the look of it.

TremorX posted:

That's cool, but I'm just hoping right now that the CR8 sees the light of day. I want one sooooo bad.

Summer time :)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I read on bigsquidrc.com that they are more reliable to tune due to electronics handling something? It was in the breakdown of the press release about it.

Also, since I mentioned it, is there any other rc blogs worth reading? I mainly go there to see what new models are out and keep an eye on the scene since I know when the right product comes out I will jump back into the money pit with the rest of you. Bigsquidrc are good but that's all I really know.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
EU/UK racers use redrc.net and neobuggy.net a lot, they're more about racing and Neobuggy is pretty much only 1/8th nitro buggy racing. There are many others but those are the 'big two' on this side of the pond, at least for English speakers.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

krushgroove posted:

EU/UK racers use redrc.net and neobuggy.net a lot, they're more about racing and Neobuggy is pretty much only 1/8th nitro buggy racing. There are many others but those are the 'big two' on this side of the pond, at least for English speakers.
I have found Red R/C to be pretty much the best source for new stuff. Besides that I'll check out the RC Car Action news/new stuff forum.
krushgroove; the new gasser stuff looks pretty cool. I'm very interested to get my hands on it and see how they run!
In other news, I finished my Hot Bodies cyclone that I set up for drifting and have pics I need to post. I also finished my cup racer (sans light kit) and both are a blast to drive.
I also find myself employed in the R/C industry again after I was hunted down. I'll say 'we deal a lot with 1/5 stuff'. :iia:

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
God I wish 1/5th was popular where I live here in Texas. I lust after one of those finely tuned FG units SO BADLY.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I have found Red R/C to be pretty much the best source for new stuff. Besides that I'll check out the RC Car Action news/new stuff forum.
krushgroove; the new gasser stuff looks pretty cool. I'm very interested to get my hands on it and see how they run!
In other news, I finished my Hot Bodies cyclone that I set up for drifting and have pics I need to post. I also finished my cup racer (sans light kit) and both are a blast to drive.
I also find myself employed in the R/C industry again after I was hunted down. I'll say 'we deal a lot with 1/5 stuff'. :iia:

The cup racer has always enticed me. unfortunately its not allowed to run at my local track and there isnt a great deal of places nearby I could take it.I just want a cool looking Levin with deep dish watanabes :(

I also want a drifter....and a touring to use at the track. and a short course for the local dirt club...gently caress this thread.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
"Isn't allowed" or just no class to race in? That would suck if they specifically tell you you can't drive on the track. I know some people moan about driving with cars that aren't in the same category, but if you're new and willing to pay to drive they should let you have a bit of fun.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Are you with one of the aftermarket companies now? There are some big ones over there :)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

krushgroove posted:

"Isn't allowed" or just no class to race in? That would suck if they specifically tell you you can't drive on the track. I know some people moan about driving with cars that aren't in the same category, but if you're new and willing to pay to drive they should let you have a bit of fun.

Are you with one of the aftermarket companies now? There are some big ones over there :)

No class. Not even allowed to run with the minis :(

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I've been a goon for years now, and have been racing r/c cars & trucks since I was 10 (27 now).....yet I've somehow never come across this thread until now.

A couple of the trucks I've had over the years. I'm lucky that here in St. Louis we have a gigantic R/C scene. We have an indoor offroad track that sees about 150 cars/trucks on ANY GIVEN WEEKEND. I was an avid racer forever, but I'm come to find that many of the racers in this area are major dicks, so it burnt me out.

After getting married & having a baby, I got out of the hobby for a couple years, but I just got roped back in. I had always wanted to try R/C rock crawling and I've alway dug the really scale stuff....so I purchased an Axial SCX10 "Dingo". The truck is a loving blast. I'm having my airbrush guy do a rusted out 1970 F-150 body to put on top of it. I'll post some pics when I'm done!

Edit - Chewing/smoking is loving gross, but I've always loved the Skoal Bandit theme since I was little. I generally use it for almost everything.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 7, 2012

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
haha, I was going to ask if you're a dipper :)

Laserface posted:

No class. Not even allowed to run with the minis :(

I can understand that the 2WD guys wouldn't like if you're racing, but if you're not a rookie class racer I don't see why they can't even let you take part.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Anyone wanna buy a Slash 4x4 Platinum Edition roller? I'm thinking $100 + ship.

How about the motor to go in it? A Tekin Redline SC4X 6.5T? $80 shipped.

Trying to pave my way toward a 2wd car.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

krushgroove posted:

haha, I was going to ask if you're a dipper :)

I can understand that the 2WD guys wouldn't like if you're racing, but if you're not a rookie class racer I don't see why they can't even let you take part.

Im no stranger to RC but definitely not versed in circuit racing or club procedures.

I wouldnt mind being a marshall occasionally as a volunteer just so i could get close enough to get sweet photos :(

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Laserface posted:

Im no stranger to RC but definitely not versed in circuit racing or club procedures.

I wouldnt mind being a marshall occasionally as a volunteer just so i could get close enough to get sweet photos :(

While I think what he is talking about it is that he has no class for the Cup Racer to race in, let me go on a quick rant about racing, as it's why I took several years "off" from the hobby.....

I guess I'm lucky here in St. Louis. We have an extremely active r/c community. We have an outdoor 1/8 scale offroad track, 1/10 scale indoor electric track, 2 crawler clubs,2 indoor onroad carpet tracks, a big outdoor dirt oval club, and even a part time monster truck track that is great for bashers. So pardon me for whining :)

I raced offroad pretty competitively for the last several years, and the people just burned me out. The track I race at has several pro factory sponsored dudes. They are the most helpful people you'll ever meet.......but then you have all the wannabe pro guys. They are some of the most insufferable dicks you'll ever meet. I've even seen one of them yell at a young boy marshalling (the guy was called out on it at least). Racing and Marshalling became a very stressful thing, because one wipe out and you'll have guys SCREAMING at you on the stands. These neckbeards made it to where it wasn't fun anymore, because there were so many of them at the track (over 100 cars/trucks on regular club raceday) It got to the point where I said, "I guess R/C just isn't for me anymore".

I'm so glad I got back into r/c with scale crawling! I'm having a bunch of fun with the hobby again, just wrenching on my truck and heading to the local parks to ford small creeks & climb big rocky hills. I really recommend it to anyone who's burned out from the "serious business" racing scene. I'm still working on my truck, but some sweet pics will follow. My Axial SCX10 is built like a brick shithouse:)

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Racing and Marshalling became a very stressful thing, because one wipe out and you'll have guys SCREAMING at you on the stands.

How is there not a rule on this?

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

At the track I race at, it was enough of a problem that we ran a "marshall your own car" round every race, just to give those marshaling a little respect. We now have a one-strike rule, where you get one warning (because, y'know, sometimes it slips out) for yelling, and the second time you sit the round out (or the rest of the race if you use profanity). Since we have a kid-friendly novice class now, we're pretty strict on the language and attitude - enough that a few of the usual hot-heads have stopped coming.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Ziploc posted:

How is there not a rule on this?

There are rules on it, but the owner of the track does not enforce it because many of the asshats pulling this poo poo spend a lot of $ at the track. I've long said that if I was running the track, I would give a 1 time warning & DQ for the day, and if you did it at any other time, you are banned for the rest of the year.

The hilarious thing is when some of these guys yell at each other. I've seen guys almost come to blows over loving toy cars. It really makes you embarassed to even be involved with this type of group, and over time I just lost all enjoyment.

EDIT - ^^^^^^^ That sounds like a great way to do it. The track I'm talking about really needs a novice class so beginners can have fun. I started racing in fifth grade (I think this was 94-95ish) with a Traxxas Hawk 2 at a local track that had a kids class. It was one of my favorite parts of being a kid. :) Back then, all the kids at school had lovely NIKKO/TYCO "toy" r/c's, so my friends at school were always in awe of my race truck :smug:.

DOUBLE EDIT - Here is a pic of my SCX10

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 10, 2012

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
If someone yelled at me while I was marshalling, I'd just take a...bit...longer...to get to his car. I don't care if I'm wearing my sponsor's/employer's name all over me, there's no need to yell over toy cars.

skippo
Jun 9, 2006

Parts came in the mail after almost a month. Living in remote far north Queensland is tough.

Traxxas Stampede XL-5

Repairs:
LHSF caster block (twice)
Replace body
Replace original Titan motor with 12T 550 Losi motor
RHSR hex nut and wheel (twice)

Upgrades:
VXL Motor and ESC
Hitec 645 Heavy Duty Servo
RPM wide bumper
RPM hex nuts (for repairs)
Traxxas anodized flanged nylon locking nuts (rear only (and two spares))
Traxxas big bore shocks (ended up putting stock springs back in because they were harder and holding the chassis higher at stand-still)
5000maH Venom 7 cell battery (& high speed charger)
Traxxas 2.4GHz transmitter and receiver
Traxxas wheely bar

Future upgrades:
Lipo battery and Lipo charger. I think. It's already pretty fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
some time ago I asked about on road drift cars, I went ahead and got the tamiya TA05 VDF, Just finished putting it together.

whats inside,

Futaba 3pm-x with receiver
Savox SC-1251MG
Hobbywing XERUN 10.5T/S3300Kv + 120A ESC
Tamiya TA05 Aluminum Bulkhead x 2
Eagle Racing C-Hub 8° Camber 10° Caster Blue Tamiya
Eagle Racing Tamiya TA05 VDF CounterSteer Kit 1.84 Ratio Bolt on CS
Tamiya Titanium screw set
Tamiya front and rear Carbon fiber Damper stays
HPI T drifts

Still have the body to do and some cleaning up around the wires, just tried it quickly on what space i had and its so much fun.