Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

For the same money you can get a blender that crushes ice and also does other stuff

edit: oh yeah, and ice cubette trays would work too

We have a blender. I suppose it wouldn't damage the blades then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I made cookies today but added to much brown sugar. They're too crumbly and soft now and I feel quite stupid.

I probably need to get a new scale, the one I picked up shuts off way to quickly and is annoyinh. (Yeah, venting...but ruining cookies makes me sad. Especially since I actual got flat bread done properly this week :smith: )

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Ebay appears to have plenty of manual ice crushers in the $10-20 range.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

We have a blender. I suppose it wouldn't damage the blades then?
Most will crush ice just fine

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

CzarChasm posted:

Didn't have the recipe on hand, just knew I needed tahini and decided to check out local shops at lunch. Will review recipe when I get home, if I'm going to use 1/4 cup or better at a stretch then maybe a big jar is worth the investment, even if I only make it a few times a year.

For what it's worth, if you take your favorite peanut butter cookie recipe, swap the PB for tahini, and add some sunflower or pumpkin seeds, you have a pretty great cookie. Or dates, mm. Or dried apricots, diced up.

You'll use the big jar up.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

lifts cats over head posted:

Ingredient surplus question. I happen to have a bunch of really good cinnamon bread. Thanks to my girlfriend working at the bakery it's from I will probably continue to have a bunch on hand. I've already made cinnamon french toast with it a few times but I'm trying to come up with alternative uses. Anyone have any creative suggestions? I generally prefer savory over sweet and would love to know any savory dishes it could be used for as well, but all are welcome. Thanks!

I had some cinnamon rolls that had gone stale so I ground them up into bread crumbs and used them to bread porkchops.
They came out pretty good, not over powerfully sweet mixed salt and pepper in with the bread crumbs before dipping the pork chops in them.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'd imagine Cinnamon bread would probably go great in a breakfast strata.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I want an ice crusher. A manual ice crusher.

http://www.amazon.com/Metrokane-Retro-Crusher-Stainless-Steel-Chrome/dp/B000YDCWDQ/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1326936525&sr=8-11

Like that. Only I want one that doesn't suck rear end and doesn't cost $50. Am I hosed? All I want to do is chew on ice. I just hate giant chunks and I'm tired of bashing my counter with a hammer.

Get an old one. One that's heavy and metal and enamel before everything was flimsy plastic.

Here are some. Plus, how loving cute are these!?

http://www.etsy.com/listing/85272859/vintage-swing-a-way-ice-crusher-olive
http://www.etsy.com/listing/90197925/vintage-chrome-1950s-vogue-ice-o-mat-ice
http://www.etsy.com/listing/87118416/lemon-yellow-vintage-ice-crusher
http://www.etsy.com/listing/76547613/vintage-eames-era-ice-o-mat-ice-crusher

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I want an ice crusher. A manual ice crusher.

http://www.amazon.com/Metrokane-Retro-Crusher-Stainless-Steel-Chrome/dp/B000YDCWDQ/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1326936525&sr=8-11

Like that. Only I want one that doesn't suck rear end and doesn't cost $50. Am I hosed? All I want to do is chew on ice. I just hate giant chunks and I'm tired of bashing my counter with a hammer.

I bought a Metrokane ice crusher from goodwill for $5. It is one of the old ones where all the ice-crushing bits are solid metal. It works really well for just getting crunchy ice.

Keep a lookout. I think nearly thrift store is required by law to have one hanging around somewhere.

So, I have a sealed mason jar of beef broth in the back of the fridge. It has a good seal but wasn't pressure canned and I think is about a month and a half old. I'm assuming I should just toss it?

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 19, 2012

Camembert
Feb 9, 2007
I like cheese.
Thanks for the help with roasting the chicken guys! Skin turned out nice and crispy too. Was a lot less intimidating than I thought it would be, although my carving skills definitely need improvement. Practice time!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

CrystalRose posted:

Refreezing Question

My landlord showed up yesterday with a bunch of frozen pork for me and my husband. He raises pigs and had some butchered a few weeks back. The pork was frozen. Since it was frozen together I had to let the whole thing thaw. I cooked about half of it tonight, but I still have uncooked pork left. I know you are not supposed to refreeze meet after it’s thawed but I don’t want to leave it in my fridge for too long. Can I cook it and then freeze it? It's already been in my fridge, thawed, for 24hrs. I really don’t want this to go to waste!

How did you thaw it? If you thawed it in the fridge, you can refreeze it raw. If not, you definitely can't and have to cook it up before you freeze it again.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
Hey guys, me again. Looks like the only greek yogurt the supermarket carries comes in a small container and is very expensive, so I'm going to want to strain normal yogurt.

What are my best options? I know cheesecloth works, but I'm not exactly sure how I would.. 'set it up' I guess you could say, to where it can drain for a long time without the cloth slipping or anything.

Here are the products I've been looking at:
http://www.amazon.com/Regency-Natural-Ultra-Fine-Cheesecloth/dp/B001B14ODG
http://www.amazon.com/Euro-Cuisine-Yogurt-Cheese-Strainer/dp/B001D1SD3G

The second one is a cheesecloth bag which seems perfect for my purposes, but if there's an easy way to do it with just the normal cheese cloth I'd rather do that since it's a better value.

I know there's ways to do this outside of cheese cloth as well. I'd be happy to hear any suggestions once more.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Benjamin Black posted:

What are my best options? I know cheesecloth works, but I'm not exactly sure how I would.. 'set it up' I guess you could say, to where it can drain for a long time without the cloth slipping or anything.

Couldn't you put the yogurt in a mason jar, then screw the top (I think you could do this with just the band, or punch holes in the flat lid) on to hold the cheesecloth in place?

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

ulmont posted:

Couldn't you put the yogurt in a mason jar, then screw the top (I think you could do this with just the band, or punch holes in the flat lid) on to hold the cheesecloth in place?

What's the trick to suspending a mason jar above something that will catch the drainage?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just line a strainer with cheesecloth, dump your yogurt in and set it over a deep bowl and refrigerate.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Benjamin Black posted:

What's the trick to suspending a mason jar above something that will catch the drainage?

I was suggesting the mason jar would catch the drainage. So the yogurt in cheesecloth is in the middle of the mason jar, with the band holding the cheesecloth in place. Flash Gordon Ramsay's strainer / bowl suggestion is even easier, though.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
Honestly, the way I do it is just dump it into a clean dish towel, tie it together with some butcher's twine and then tie it to something to hang over my sink for an hour or so.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Or, like I said before, just line a colander with paper towels, put it in a bowl to catch the whey, and dump the yogurt in there. Toss in the fridge overnight, and you're done.

It doesn't even have to be a thick layer of paper towels either, just one layer works for me. If you have cheesecloth on hand, use it. If you want an excuse to buy cheesecloth, buy it. Otherwise, paper towels work just fine.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah, I just got my yogurt to... yogurtify (water bath in a rice cooker set on warm works great) and strained it with paper towels in a colander. It's nice and thick and tangy. You don't have to get fancy.

Paper coffee filters work better if you have them lying around, I found the yogurt tends to stick to the paper towel a bit and you lose some, but it slides right off the coffee filter.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, I just got my yogurt to... yogurtify (water bath in a rice cooker set on warm works great) and strained it with paper towels in a colander. It's nice and thick and tangy. You don't have to get fancy.

Paper coffee filters work better if you have them lying around, I found the yogurt tends to stick to the paper towel a bit and you lose some, but it slides right off the coffee filter.

Oh yeah, forgot about those. I snagged a bunch of the extra huge coffee filters for those giant urns when my local church was doing a bit of spring cleaning. Those things are great, but maybe not so easily available. Regular coffee filters, however, are just as awesome as Grand Fromage says, even though you won't be able to strain as much yogurt at one time as I can with my 1 foot diameter coffee filters.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I have two tea-related questions:

(1) What cheeses would pair well with orange pekoe?

(2) Is there any booze I can spike my orange pekoe with?

edit: Hrrm, I somehow missed the tea thread.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Splizwarf posted:

I still don't appreciate getting called an idiot repeatedly. Misinformed and stupid aren't the same thing.

You were giving people wrong information about whether or not they would be safe if they ate brake cleaner. I'd hope no takes your advice on an internet comedy board but good lord.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Chemmy posted:

You were giving people wrong information about whether or not they would be safe if they ate brake cleaner. I'd hope no takes your advice on an internet comedy board but good lord.

What? I was telling people it wouldn't work for cleaning pots. Good lord. The chemical that I thought made up brake cleaner, isopropyl alcohol, is poisonous and will kill you, and says so on the containers it does come in. For the record, you should not eat it.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

Cyril Sneer posted:

I have two tea-related questions:

(1) What cheeses would pair well with orange pekoe?

(2) Is there any booze I can spike my orange pekoe with?

edit: Hrrm, I somehow missed the tea thread.

(2): Galliano

Straight up delicious. Vanilla makes so many teas better.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Just cleaned my cabinets out. Turns out I have several pounds of linguine and spaghetti that I did not know I had. Anything unusual I can do with these? Maybe some desserts or breakfasty type things?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Just cleaned my cabinets out. Turns out I have several pounds of linguine and spaghetti that I did not know I had. Anything unusual I can do with these? Maybe some desserts or breakfasty type things?

Do you have hot dogs

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
So this Saturday, I'm going to make some chicken cutlets, for a potluck. They're going to be pretty simple; S&P, then flour --> eggs --> panko --> frying pan. I was hoping for some suggestions about what kind of sauce to make to go with it. I was thinking some kind of miso sauce because I have a lot of it in the fridge, and a tomato based sauce for the less adventurous.

Does anyone have suggestions on what to do for the sauces, or maybe something I hadn't thought of?

ExtraFox
May 22, 2003

~all of these candy~
I've been poking around my favorite recipe sites, and nothing has quite seemed right so I'm coming to you fine folks.

I need a Valentine's Day meal that will rock my boyfriend's world. We're long distance, we only see each other just about once a month, and I have not gotten to cook for him so far (been together for about six months). I'm a pretty decent cook, and for this Valentine's Day we're getting a hotel room with a kitchen in it so I'll finally have a chance to substantiate my claims of culinary capability.

I want to make something that is labor-intensive (or at least looks like it is), delicious, and looks fantastic when plated. I'm leaning toward chicken or seafood as the main ingredient, and vegetables are a must, whether as part of the main dish or just as a side. His food hangups are: nothing with cheese, and can't be spicy. Personally, I'll eat anything. Main dishes, sides, appetizers, desserts... anything or everything. I am in it to impress, so the more grandiose the better.

edit: I've also been leafing through the GWS wiki and there have been some close matches, but nothing just right yet.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

ExtraFox posted:

I've been poking around my favorite recipe sites, and nothing has quite seemed right so I'm coming to you fine folks.

I need a Valentine's Day meal that will rock my boyfriend's world. I'll finally have a chance to substantiate my claims of culinary capability.

I want to make something that is labor-intensive (or at least looks like it is), delicious, and looks fantastic when plated. I'm leaning toward chicken or seafood as the main ingredient, and vegetables are a must, whether as part of the main dish or just as a side. I am in it to impress, so the more grandiose the better.

edit: I've also been leafing through the GWS wiki and there have been some close matches, but nothing just right yet.

Ok, so you said that you were in it to impress and that you want something that is labor intensive, the following may be a bit too much on the labor intensive, but I'm going to suggest it anyway because, well, you asked for it.

Appetizer: Thomas Keller's Oysters and Pearls
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Oysters-and-Pearls-105859

First Course: Uova da Raviolo
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/mario-batali/uova-da-raviolo-ravioli-with-an-egg-inside-recipe/index.html

Second Course: Beef Wellington, Port Wine Demiglace.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfM_7uwH_Jw
For the demi, just take a rich gelatinous veal or beef stock add some tomato paste and a cup or so of ruby port and reduce down until it coats the back of a spoon. warning, will take the better part of a day, not exaggerating and you need to start with something like 1 gal of stock to make something like half a cup of demi.

Sides:
Pommes Paves
http://www.recipebinder.co.uk/recipe.aspx?rid=32011

and some sort of green sauteed in brown butter, kale or haricots verts would work well.

Dessert: Butterscotch Budino with rosemary and pine nut cookies
http://www.jamesbeard.org/index.php?q=recipes/show/butterscotch_budino_with_caramel_sauce_and_rosemary_pine_nut_cookies

If you'd rather make something that is actually very easy but appears hard so that you can actually spend parts of that weekend with your boyfriend instead of cooking the whole time:

Appetizer: Crostini Toscane http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/mario-batali/tusca-crostini-crostini-toscane-recipe/index.html

First Course: Seared scallops, bearnaise, watercress
Cheat with the bearnaise by building it in a blender: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/filet-mignon-with-blender-bearnaise-recipe2/index.html
sear the scallops in butter.
plate bearnaise first, then water cress, top with scallops.
---or---
Seared sesame crusted ahi tuna, sesame ponzu, arugula
roll the tuna in sesame seeds and sear in a very hot (not nonstick) pan, very quickly on all sides. Slice thin, and against the grain. Mix ponzu and toasted sesame oil with a bit of sugar to taste. Toss some arugula in the dressing, serve the tuna on top with a little drizzle of more dressing.

Second Course:
Braised shortribs
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/anne-burrell/braised-short-ribs-recipe/index.html
Hasselback Potatoes
http://www.seasaltwithfood.com/2009/05/hasselback-potatoes.html
Creamed Spinach
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/creamed-spinach-recipe2/index.html

Dessert:
Chocolate pots de creme
http://mymadisonbistro.com/archives/chocolate-pots-de-creme
Brown butter shortbreads
http://julytomato.tumblr.com/post/13160554081/in-depth-browned-butter-sugar-cookies

A lot of this stuff requires things like food processors, blenders, etc. Might want to call the hotel and ask what kinds of things the kitchen will be equipped with, before you finalize a menu.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jan 20, 2012

skirth
Oct 29, 2010
I have the bone from a jamon iberico that I intend to make some kind of stew with. Any suggestions?

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
My girlfriend and I are making each other gifts for our anniversary, and the only gift I ultimately thought would be practical (for her), feasible (for me to make), and romantic is... delicious heart shaped cookies. I've never baked anything before ever so that makes it all the more thoughtful if I can pull it off. I'm searching the thread for a great chocolate chip cookie recipe but if anybody has any favorites I'd love to see it (I need to be able to do it within like 4 hours as I have class in the morning and then I'm going to dinner with her in the evening). Also I am curious as to how to make the cookies maintain a heart shape as they bake. Thanks!

*Not the right thread but anybody have any experience with love letters, that usually work out well? I'm generally not nearly as romantic as I think I am, but it seems appropriate.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

BRJohnson posted:

My girlfriend and I are making each other gifts for our anniversary, and the only gift I ultimately thought would be practical (for her), feasible (for me to make), and romantic is... delicious heart shaped cookies. I've never baked anything before ever so that makes it all the more thoughtful if I can pull it off. I'm searching the thread for a great chocolate chip cookie recipe but if anybody has any favorites I'd love to see it (I need to be able to do it within like 4 hours as I have class in the morning and then I'm going to dinner with her in the evening). Also I am curious as to how to make the cookies maintain a heart shape as they bake. Thanks!

*Not the right thread but anybody have any experience with love letters, that usually work out well? I'm generally not nearly as romantic as I think I am, but it seems appropriate.

My chocolate chip cookies:

* 2 sticks butter
* 1 cup brown sugar
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 2 eggs
* 2 tsp vanilla
* 2 1/4+ cups flour
* 1+ tsp baking soda
* 1 1/2 tsp salt
* 2 cups chocolate chips

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla, stirring well. Whisk together dry ingredients in a separate large bowl. Begin adding dry ingredients to wet, adding about 1/4 of the dry ingredients at a time while slowing mixing with the wet to form a nice dough. Mix only as much as needed to combine ingredients, avoid over stirring. Once all dry ingredients are incorporated into the dough, add chocolate chips and gently fold them throughout the batter. Cover bowl and leave in fridge a minimum of 30 minutes, up to overnight. Spoon out 1 tbsp size balls of dough onto a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes at 375F.

They do expand a bit while baking, though. If you want to get something that will stay a pretty uniform shape that might better suited for hearts, you could try to make these: http://julytomato.tumblr.com/post/13160554081/in-depth-browned-butter-sugar-cookies
They stayed pretty much the same shape through baking, and went over pretty well when I made them last week. Would probably lend themselves to some icing well, too.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Steve Yun posted:

Do you have hot dogs

Nope, why?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_uYLeGaENxug/SfcsCqSiqYI/AAAAAAAAAvA/q_WP0r3SB5E/s400/SpaghettiDogs.jpg

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I bought a piece of ginger that apparently was too large. I don't want to waste it so I was thinking about dehydrating it to prolong its life. Should I just slice it really thin and put it on the same temperature in my dehydrator that I would for fruits/veggies?

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

zerox147o posted:

My chocolate chip cookies:

* 2 sticks butter
* 1 cup brown sugar
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 2 eggs
* 2 tsp vanilla
* 2 1/4+ cups flour
* 1+ tsp baking soda
* 1 1/2 tsp salt
* 2 cups chocolate chips

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla, stirring well. Whisk together dry ingredients in a separate large bowl. Begin adding dry ingredients to wet, adding about 1/4 of the dry ingredients at a time while slowing mixing with the wet to form a nice dough. Mix only as much as needed to combine ingredients, avoid over stirring. Once all dry ingredients are incorporated into the dough, add chocolate chips and gently fold them throughout the batter. Cover bowl and leave in fridge a minimum of 30 minutes, up to overnight. Spoon out 1 tbsp size balls of dough onto a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes at 375F.

They do expand a bit while baking, though. If you want to get something that will stay a pretty uniform shape that might better suited for hearts, you could try to make these: http://julytomato.tumblr.com/post/13160554081/in-depth-browned-butter-sugar-cookies
They stayed pretty much the same shape through baking, and went over pretty well when I made them last week. Would probably lend themselves to some icing well, too.
Thanks so much! I've never baked anything before but I've assembled the ingredients and I'm ready to do this! I will return with my results (of course I'll have to wait till the next day to give a full review of things :heysexy:).

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Anyone have a go to red beans and rice recipe?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Toriori posted:

I bought a piece of ginger that apparently was too large. I don't want to waste it so I was thinking about dehydrating it to prolong its life. Should I just slice it really thin and put it on the same temperature in my dehydrator that I would for fruits/veggies?

Just wrap it tightly and freeze it.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

http://julytomato.tumblr.com/post/13160554081/in-depth-browned-butter-sugar-cookies
I decided to try this one too, but I'm having an issue with part of the recipe
"This is a stick and a half of butter that was heated over a medium fire until the milkfat caramelized and turned an amazingly deep nutty brown."
I'm then asked to cream the sugar with the 'chilled butter'. I don't understand the process he's describing of melting (separating?) the butter but then being able to cream it (after hours of refrigeration?). Is this necessary to complete the recipe or can I cream it the same way I did with the first (start chilled, cut it into small pieces and stir until it was workable to cream).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

What do Chinese century eggs taste like?