Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

JohnnyMondo posted:

I figured you just always need to adjust it after shipping anyway. I've only ever got 2 basses in the mail, but both came with the neck separate, and I had to adjust them both anyway. If you're shipping across the country (or around the world) wouldn't the weather difference require setting up the neck anyway?

Is there any actual danger in taking off the neck?

Not really. It's pretty much standard for shipping basses to Australia. It more than halves the shipping costs.
With regards to the bass requiring a setup, the ideal setup will vary from person to person anyway. I generally expect to have to adjust any new bass which comes into my possession.
In my opinion, if you're the sort of person who is often buying and selling instruments then being able to do your own setups is a necessity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Yes of course it's reasonable to expect to have to tweak the truss rod and saddles on a new instrument after putting your brand of strings on it and adjusting it to your playing style. It is not reasonable to expect to re-shim a neck.

For international shipments I can see it being worth the hassle if the buyer is okay with it. I've also had instruments that didn't need shims or any messing around when taking the neck on and off multiple times. I just wouldn't be taking the neck off of something expensive.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
All this talk of necks reminds me that I've been considering ordering a fretless neck for my hollowbody.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
The lead guitarist of a band I'm in just quit and we're a bit leary of getting another person in right now. Also, changing to a single guitarist might be an interesting challenge with arrangements anyway.

Would judicious use of an octave pedal with an "octave up" setting maybe fill the hole left by having only one guitar? Do you guys have any suggestions? I was thinking about the EHX Micro Pog.

I guess the best way to describe the stuff we play is "alternative rock." We're not very cool.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
This might be better than a normal octave pedal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe-Vy3HDyQ4

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Demon Seed posted:

This might be better than a normal octave pedal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe-Vy3HDyQ4

Only problem there is that you have to set the Key. Plus, while harmonies can add wonderful accents, they can be overdone pretty easily, imo. And that particular pedal may not track bass well.

I used to own a Micro POG, and while the octave up is a pretty cool feature, I never really found much use for it. Plus it (the micro pog as a whole) sounds very VERY clean, almost unnaturally so. Don't get me wrong, it tracks flawlessly, and the octave down is great, but it's definitely not a traditional, warm, analog-sounding octave pedal.

You can give it a shot, but honestly (and I've done the majority of my live playing in a 3-piece setting), filling in space is better accomplished with what you're playing rather than what register you're playing in.

In short, an octave pedal is a wonderfully useful tool to have, but its not necessary to help fill space. Assuming you even need to fill it... it's nice to leave some open room as well.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 19, 2012

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Scarf posted:

You can give it a shot, but honestly (and I've done the majority of my live playing in a 3-piece setting), filling in space is better accomplished with what you're playing rather than what register you're playing in.

In short, an octave pedal is a wonderfully useful tool to have, but its not necessary to help fill space. Assuming you even need to fill it... it's nice to leave some open room as well.
I agree.

I've also been in the four piece, cut down to three piece band scenario before and a Micro Pog helped with texture. It didn't fill that space you wanted, you'll need to rearrange your playing between you and the lead.

Loved the Micro Pog! But now I have a Pog 2, and love it even more. Other pedals can do octaves, but some don't track as well if you are playing faster than an 8th note at 90bpm on bass. Others just don't track bass well at all. Buy a pedal once, even look for a used one so you don't lose out on the cash investment.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?
Hey guys, I only just found this thread and have to say it looks awesome. I've been playing an Ashton AB2 for about a year or so now and have been thinking it's time to upgrade. After doing a heap of trawling I really like the look and sound of the Ibanez SRT800DX. Does anyone have any experience with this particular bass or two cents to put in about picking this up as a non beginner instrument? Cheers

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I seem to have inflicted myself with some sort of tendonosis or carpal tunnel or something... I haven't been able to play in a week, and I have two shows coming up next week... weep for me :smithicide:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

NarkyBark posted:

I seem to have inflicted myself with some sort of tendonosis or carpal tunnel or something... I haven't been able to play in a week, and I have two shows coming up next week... weep for me :smithicide:

Fretting hand, sounding hand, or both?

If it's just your sounding hand, use a pick.

Vahtooch posted:

Hey guys, I only just found this thread and have to say it looks awesome. I've been playing an Ashton AB2 for about a year or so now and have been thinking it's time to upgrade. After doing a heap of trawling I really like the look and sound of the Ibanez SRT800DX. Does anyone have any experience with this particular bass or two cents to put in about picking this up as a non beginner instrument? Cheers

No experience with that particular bass, but the general consensus around here is that Ibanez makes a solid instrument at a good price. It should be a good purchase if it sounds/feels good to you.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?

Bill Posters posted:

Not really. It's pretty much standard for shipping basses to Australia. It more than halves the shipping costs.

Do you know of any good sites that do poo poo to Australia? Most of the ones I have found don't mention international shipping at all.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Vahtooch posted:

Do you know of any good sites that do poo poo to Australia? Most of the ones I have found don't mention international shipping at all.

For brand new stuff; no, not really. Most manufacturer/retailer agreements seem to forbid US sellers from shipping internationally. Presumably so they can continue to mark up their products locally to a ludicrous degree. A lot of US retailers seem to skirt this using eBay so that's worth looking at.

Also, there are good retailers here who will try to give as fair a price as possible (eg. dropping prices as our dollar gets stronger) and so deserve support. The Bass Centre in Melbourne is one such retailer.

In any case I was more referring to the second hand market through private sales and eBay. Retailers are entirely unlikely to remove a neck for shipping and I can understand anyone being a bit put out if they did.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Lakland unveils a 30" scale 6-string bass, the 60-11 (think Fender Bass VI)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXSXYOVm_hM

God I've been wondering how long it would be before someone stepped up and did Bass VI type of instrument.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

NarkyBark posted:

Everyone needs to buy this book.

But for now: stretch a bunch, soak your hands in hot water (or hot paraffin if you can,) stay off the computer (and make sure you have everything set up ergonomically,) and get some wrist braces to sleep with. (That one is super important, you need to keep your wrists straight when you sleep so they can heal and get fluids back in.)

As far as bass-related stuff goes, make sure your bass isn't too high or too low, that the neck isn't diving on you forcing you to hold it up while you fret, and that you're not playing with awkward bends in your wrists. You may need a thicker and wider strap, lighter strings, lower action, or even a different instrument. (This is the main reason I play Stambaughs - no one makes basses with the right size nuts and string spacing in a bass that's configured how I want.)

Stongpa
Jan 14, 2012

"I am not, I will not be.
I have not, I will not have.
This frightens all children,
And kills fear in the wise."

~ Nagarjuna

Scarf posted:

God I've been wondering how long it would be before someone stepped up and did Bass VI type of instrument.

That is pretty wild! I think I might have to start saving my pennies!

Space Faggot
Jun 11, 2009

Scarf posted:

Fender Japan is also reissuing the Bass VI from what I understand. The Agile Argus is decent enough (it's an Agile); I found one for $100 on craigslist and it's pretty fun.

The thing with the Bass VI type things is that, while they're fun to screw around with, it becomes apparent very quickly why they never really caught on. That Lakland doesn't seem to have the strangle switch, which would really help for doing more baritone-type stuff.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Any thoughts on the Saga P-Bass kits? I love projects and need a white P-Bass, so this seems to fit some kind of cheap-rear end bill. Wondering if they're worth the effort!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I built one a few years ago.
For the price it was pretty decent, the bridge and tuners are ok, the pick-up is servicable. The body is actually solid wood not plywood I would call it paint grade though no real grain to speak of, the neck is needed a level and crowning after putting it all together but really any new build would.
You'll want to plan on plugging and re-drilling all the holes or at least triple checking them.
The sealer that comes on them is pretty thick and doesn't really want to come off so the best bet is to plan on sanding it level and use it as a base for your finish.
In the end this is what I ended up with:

cactuscarpet
Sep 12, 2011

I don't even know what rasta means.
I do hope you have a matching jumpsuit.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
Guitar Fetish also sells a P-Bass kit for $100. No idea on the quality of it. But in this price range aren't you getting close to used stuff on craigslist?

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Super-LIghtweight-Vintage-Cut-P-Bass-kit-COMPLETE_p_2069.html

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I want to get back into playing bass. I'm using a Stingray 5. I'm looking for a nice combo or small setup. I'd heard good things about the Aguilar 12" combo(cabinet?), but that was more than 5 years ago. I was using an SVP pro/1980s QSC poweramp, a 2x10 (some small but very cheap and popular brand that started with an A) cabinet and a Carvin 15" combo-turned-cabinet. I'm looking for something more portable. Needs to be quiet when I'm not playing; my old setup had a loud buzz.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 23, 2012

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

How much money do you have?

If it's no object, Aguilar ToneHammer500 + SL112.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Crossposting because I need a white p-bass and I need it now!

scuz posted:

Someone buy this so that I can buy this. I need my white P-Bass :(
I think that $400 is fair for the bass that I'm selling, but any input is appreciated!

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

How much are the Matt Freeman Squiers? Those are pretty good, from what I hear.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

TyChan posted:

How much are the Matt Freeman Squiers? Those are pretty good, from what I hear.
$350, but I don't like Freeman and that bass doesn't look like anything terribly special apart from maybe the thicker C-style neck profile.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Your price seems good, but it might be hard to move since you customized it that much. Do you still have the original parts and/or the pickguard?

EDIT: Sorry. Re-read your ad and it seems from your link that the bridge is a chrome Schaller? It doesn't really look like it from the photo.

I take it you took off the headstock decal to get the matching headstock paintjob? That's unfortunately going to push away some buyers. You might need to lower your price to offset that.

scuz posted:

$350, but I don't like Freeman and that bass doesn't look like anything terribly special apart from maybe the thicker C-style neck profile.

What exactly are you looking for? It's a basic white p-bass and apparently the build quality and reviews of the sound are pretty solid. From what I heard, they wanted it to be like a cheap way to get a 70s p-bass.

Guitar Fetish has a new line of basses on sale too. The woods at least are decent, although I'm a bit too gunshy to just mail order a bass.

SXs are always a good option too, although I don't know why they couldn't find a better headstock shape to avoid trademark trouble.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jan 24, 2012

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Shipping the Hollowbody off for it's transplants tomorrow or Thursday. Anyone know what I can expect in terms of shipping costs for ground transit? It's been a long time since I've shipped an instrument, and never one with a declared value as high as this one... (It'd cost me about $1600 to replace it, and I'm not even sure if that makes it more expensive to ship).

Dimensions of the hardcase are 48"x18"x5", and I've tried going through the little estimate calculators on the various shipping company sites, but they have never been accurate for me.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

TyChan posted:

Your price seems good, but it might be hard to move since you customized it that much. Do you still have the original parts and/or the pickguard?

EDIT: Sorry. Re-read your ad and it seems from your link that the bridge is a chrome Schaller? It doesn't really look like it from the photo.

I take it you took off the headstock decal to get the matching headstock paintjob? That's unfortunately going to push away some buyers. You might need to lower your price to offset that.

What exactly are you looking for? It's a basic white p-bass and apparently the build quality and reviews of the sound are pretty solid. From what I heard, they wanted it to be like a cheap way to get a 70s p-bass.
After reading this I went spelunking through my old pictures and managed to find all the photos I took when I was doing the refinishing process, including a photo of the headstock with the decal still on it. As for the bridge, the one I have is black and the one I linked is chrome, but I didn't think that would be a huge deal. The bass came with Bartolinis and a pre-amp, which I removed to make room for the current pickups and control knob scheme.

And the more I look at that Freeman bass, the better it looks. I just really don't like that fuckin' guy and can't get over myself to just sand his signature off the headstock.

Reduced the price to $350 cuz yeah, $400 would be pushing it if it had all the original poo poo in it.

scuz fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 24, 2012

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

scuz posted:

After reading this I went spelunking through my old pictures and managed to find all the photos I took when I was doing the refinishing process, including a photo of the headstock with the decal still on it. As for the bridge, the one I have is black and the one I linked is chrome, but I didn't think that would be a huge deal. The bass came with Bartolinis and a pre-amp, which I removed to make room for the current pickups and control knob scheme.

Yeah. It's kind of annoying that the more you put into a bass, the harder it is to move on at a decent price. Music people can be really terrible brand snobs about stuff.

If you can bear with parting it out, I think you'd actually get more by parting it all out and selling it on Talkbass. Maybe that's something to think about if you can't unload it through CL?

quote:

And the more I look at that Freeman bass, the better it looks. I just really don't like that fuckin' guy and can't get over myself to just sand his signature off the headstock.

Really? Is he an rear end in a top hat?

quote:

Reduced the price to $350 cuz yeah, $400 would be pushing it if it had all the original poo poo in it.

Sorry, man. I feel like a buzz kill.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

TyChan posted:

Yeah. It's kind of annoying that the more you put into a bass, the harder it is to move on at a decent price. Music people can be really terrible brand snobs about stuff.

If you can bear with parting it out, I think you'd actually get more by parting it all out and selling it on Talkbass. Maybe that's something to think about if you can't unload it through CL?

Really? Is he an rear end in a top hat?

Sorry, man. I feel like a buzz kill.
Haha, don't worry about it :) I just want a new bass and I'm in the fuckin' poor house.

The Big L
May 8, 2008
About a year ago, I posted in this thread seeking some advise about a custom bass that I was planning on assembling. I just realized that I never posted pics of the end result, so here are some crappy cell phone pics.

It was assembled at Willow Guitar in Seoul, South Korea. I was an English teacher over there for a couple years, and decided that getting a custom instrument made would be a pretty sweet souvenir. It also helps that labor costs are insanely affordable considering the quality of Korean luthiers these days. Speaking of which, I highly recommend any basses made by Cort. I consider them to be on par with Ibanez, and their high-end stuff is really good for the price; especially the Artisan line.

The bass is (obviously) a Fender Jazz homage. It has a swamp ash body, a bolt-on maple/rosewood neck with MOP inlays and a walnut skunk line. It's got a pair of passive Dimarzio Model J pickups, Hipshot ultralite tuners and bridge. The cellphone pics don't really do it justice, but I love the fact that it's named "Spunky" :3:. Considering it's sound and opaque off-white color, it's a perfect match.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Soooo, Ernie Ball did a thing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDdjp_g7Rzc

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Scarf posted:

Woah, MM trippled their offerings in the past few years.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Man, EB/MM is trash nowadays.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Ugly bass, cool concept. At least its not a bongo.. God I'd kick myself in the nuts if I was forced to play one live.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Demon Seed posted:

Ugly bass, cool concept. At least its not a bongo.. God I'd kick myself in the nuts if I was forced to play one live.

It's essentially their 25th Anniversary Bass, which was a bass version of their Axis Guitar, which is now called the Reflex Bass, which they shoved a computer chip thing in it I guess.

Yeah, it's a cool idea to have that much control over your pickups and tone and whatnot, but having that much control means you also have access to a lot of lovely sounds. And honestly, a lot of the sounds they showed in that vid sounded pretty unusable to me.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

At least it doesn't look like a toilet seat. I don't mind the Tele styling, although the neck dive is probably pretty bad.

I can't really see anything that it does that can't be done by your average boutique with half a dozen switches and knobs. Just as many useless sounds alongside the one or two that you like. The difference being you can program your settings with a computer and recall them later with a flick of a switch. The glaring unasked question is why.

They should reissue the Sabre. That had nearly as many options without the (undoubtedly) overpriced computer chip bullshit.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Bill Posters posted:

The glaring unasked question is why.

Because STERLING loving BALL! That's why.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Scarf posted:

In the future: Hang on a sec... I don't have a pickup selector, I gotta boot up my old computer so I can load some bass profile.

One of the dumbest ideas around. Next thing they'll do, avoid software conflicts, have you log into some website to change it - you know, licensing or some crap, you'll be forced to load adobe with Norton 2018. Then come... viruses. Yes, you will have a virus, it is called Ernie Ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Q - Anyone out there do any fretjobs? I need some frets replaced, and maybe a nut. It's an old Jazz Bass Special that I picked up cheap - nothing too special. I lack time, patience, and can ship the neck out.