Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I generally just cover my century eggs with fresh chopped ginger and Chinese vinegar, though it's also great in porridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:
Hey Chinese fans... I've done my best to immortalize the thread on the wiki.

Wok This Way if you wanted to share the recipes with non-SA types.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

That's a beautiful page man. I see you did the same thing with the Pood thread.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:

Kenning posted:

That's a beautiful page man. I see you did the same thing with the Pood thread.

Yeah :) I figured the gallery thing would make it jump out since I was making it the front page feature. Up next... Vietnamese.

ForkPat
Aug 5, 2003

All the food is poison
So these eggs taste like ammonia? Why the hell would I want to eat that? I tried Scandinavian licorice and couldn't stand those. I have a feeling if I buy or make century eggs I'll just be throwing them out. If I remove the yolk, does the white still taste of ammonia?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Should sichuan peppercorns be ground up like black pepper or toasted whole in the oil or what?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Should sichuan peppercorns be ground up like black pepper or toasted whole in the oil or what?

I do both. I toast them in the oil first, fish them out, grind in my pestle with some raw ones, sprinkle on the dish after.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Our family toasts them dry over a low heat in a skillet like sesame.

PorkFat, they taste delicious and has a slight ammonia taste, but shouldn't be too much unless they are turning bad. The whites do have the taste to but it isn't as strong as the yolk.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Be sure to remove any of the black seeds inside the shells before you grind them. They have a really unpleasant gritty texture to them when ground.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Thoht posted:

Be sure to remove any of the black seeds inside the shells before you grind them. They have a really unpleasant gritty texture to them when ground.

Is there a fast way to do this or do I have to go over a pile with some tweezers?

PorkFat posted:

So these eggs taste like ammonia? Why the hell would I want to eat that? I tried Scandinavian licorice and couldn't stand those. I have a feeling if I buy or make century eggs I'll just be throwing them out. If I remove the yolk, does the white still taste of ammonia?

They taste more like lye, but its definitely an acquired taste. Like Norwegian lutefisk but not nearly as strong. Great in congee, as others have said.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Okay, one more. Is there any good rule of thumb on how much to use? I seem to either end up not being able to taste it or my entire mouth is numb, and not in the good way. And it's hard to taste and adjust in a stir fry given how fast it cooks.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Okay, one more. Is there any good rule of thumb on how much to use? I seem to either end up not being able to taste it or my entire mouth is numb, and not in the good way. And it's hard to taste and adjust in a stir fry given how fast it cooks.

If you dry roast them before grinding the numbing effect is more subdued and the lemoniness is more apparent.

Mach420 posted:

Is there a fast way to do this or do I have to go over a pile with some tweezers?

Lightly crush them with the back of a pan or in a mortar, this will crack the shell and then you can pick them out pretty easily.

stop, or my mom will post
Mar 13, 2005
Does anyone have a good recipe for the below. It may not look amazing but it's delicious.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

totalnewbie posted:

I just used soumen because I have 10 lbs of it around but you can use whatever, I'm sure, as long as thin. Forgot to bring soumen to my buddy's when I made it there and we just used angel hair pasta. Worked out okay.

Thin noodles are just a preference. Hearty beefy broth Chinese style noodles are great with wide flat noodles or even better with knife cut noodles.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/plateoftheday/4094699929/lightbox/

Add in a dab of chili paste and it's like an orgasm in your mouth.

Modus Operandi fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jan 20, 2012

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

stop, or my mom will post posted:

Does anyone have a good recipe for the below. It may not look amazing but it's delicious.

Sweet and sour sauce with honey, hoisin sauce, and ginger, pork spare ribs chopped up with a Chinese cleaver. Are they fried?

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010
Does anyone have a recipe for those green beans that they serve in almost every greasy Chinese buffets?

Also, if anyone has an analogous (real) Chinese version of some kind of a green bean dish, I would appreciate it.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

bolo yeung posted:

Does anyone have a recipe for those green beans that they serve in almost every greasy Chinese buffets?

Also, if anyone has an analogous (real) Chinese version of some kind of a green bean dish, I would appreciate it.

Deep fry, toss with sesame oil, some dark soy sauce, and maybe a shallot.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Does anyone know of a good recipe for 辣子鸡丁 (La zi ji ding)? My local authentic Sichuan restaurant cooks it very dry, with no sauce, and it's basically little fried chunks of chicken in a very spicy breading, with diced dry chile peppers, garlic, and ginger. Additionally, the chili peppers, despite being dried, have a texture that you can just eat them whole and they have a little crunch to them, but they're delicious and not dry as a bone.
The recipes I've found all involve making a kung-pao-like sauce to go with it, which I assume I should just not make when I make it.

Does anyone know a good recipe (or for that matter, is what I'm talking about a different thing?)

Update: It may be 干扁鸡 ? The restaurant has "Diced Chicken with Hot Peppers" for la zi ji ding, and it has 干扁鸡 as "Fried Chicken with Dry Chili Peppers"

SgtScruffy fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 20, 2012

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

PorkFat posted:

They are an acquired taste. As a kid, I would pout and eat around it in my porridge. 20 years later, I'm trying to get all the egg in the pot. I had to eat a little at a time for years before I could stomach them, let alone like them. On the other hand, my sister has always liked them, and my brother hates them still.

The egg white doesn't taste like anything, and the texture is like a hard jello. It can crunch a bit, not like an egg shell, but perhaps like a jellied meat.

The yolk is great because of the texture and the way the taste combines with other things, in my opinion. I want to say it tastes a bit like a smudge? It's dark and smokey tasting, and the feel of it on the tongue is a bit velvety. If you chop it up and put it in porridge, it's like a surprise! Spoons of porridge porridge meat porridge aww yeah egg yolk!

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008

totalnewbie posted:

loving beautiful. I'm going to do this but with Udon.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

Sjurygg posted:

Century eggs will last about a month.

:confused: I've eaten pi dan that was nearly a year old...

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

bolo yeung posted:

Google 'dry fried string beans' - i prefer the sichaun style with minced pork, preserved sichaun vegetables & a few black beans.

stop, or my mom will post
Mar 13, 2005

Mach420 posted:

Sweet and sour sauce with honey, hoisin sauce, and ginger, pork spare ribs chopped up with a Chinese cleaver. Are they fried?

Definitely not deep fried. And had the taste of Chinese vinegar.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Sweet and Sour sauce is usually a mixture of ketchup, sugar, vinegar, and water. The kind we make at the restaurant I work at also has us adding whole bruised ginger roots to it and letting it sit for 2-4 hours.

quote:

We lightly fry green beans in a traditional fryer before an order and then when it's ready to go out they're rinsed quickly and thrown into a wok with an oil necklace and garlic, ginger, chili paste, diced preserved szechuan vegetables, stir fried briefly and then we add a small amount of dark soy sauce and toss until it dries and absorbs. Once the dish is mostly dry, we add a little bit of sesame oil and plate it.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I was chastised by a friend for using spaghetti when I made zha jiang mian. I'd like to buy the proper noodles and try them as well, but I'm not really sure what I should be looking for. Is there a specific name for them?

The zha jiang mian did turn out delicious though - thanks a lot for this thread.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Good spaghetti or linguine is way better than dried Chinese noodles :ssh:

Really good fresh wheat noodles can't be beat, of course. If you really want dried Chinese, get wide wheat noodles without egg.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Sjurygg posted:

Really good fresh wheat noodles can't be beat, of course. If you really want dried Chinese, get wide wheat noodles without egg.

There are good dried Chinese noodles, but Sjurygg is right, most are awful. Texture is spongy and soggy instead of toothsome and springy. There are a few good ones though, but they're actually Japanese :sweatdrop: They'll be labeled as "chuka soba" (Chinese soba), will be straight noodles all lined up with each other in the package (like regular soba, zaru udon, or somen), and will be considerably pricier than the standard Chinese egg noodles. The jumbled dried noodle packages named "chuka soba" also suck, so don't be tempted by these.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Sjurygg posted:

I dunno... western pasta just tastes weird in Chinese noodle dishes. Maybe it's because I'm used to cooking them al dente, which makes for a weird texture in a Chinese dish.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

gret posted:

I dunno... western pasta just tastes weird in Chinese noodle dishes. Maybe it's because I'm used to cooking them al dente, which makes for a weird texture in a Chinese dish.

It's a difference of taste. All of the older people from China in my life that I've served proper al dente Italian pasta to have mentioned that they felt it was undercooked and too hard. They mostly seem to like super soft noodles vs al dente. There's definitely a different texture preference between the east and west.

VVV I can attest to that. The closer to super soft, almost like Wonder bread, the better for them. A nice sourdough with chewy crispy crust? Not gonna fly.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 4, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Asians also don't take well to the dry, crunchy hard breads of Europe.

This is because Asians have teeth made of styrofoam.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Asian family friend chipped a tooth on steamed fish. True story.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

squigadoo posted:

Question about the yolks though. I'm used to the yolks being solid, almost with the consistency of a hard boiled egg. If I cut it into 8ths, everything would hold into a slice form. However, every single pack I've bought recently has had runny yolks. Is this a bad thing, weird thing, okay thing? I find the runny yolk really off-putting and want the consistency of the solid one.

I was always told the runny yolks were the high quality ones from my cantonese friends.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
炒合菜 (chao3he2cai4)

This dish literally means “Fried Together Food” and there are many different ways to cook it. It is a popular dish in Beijing. I’ve prepared it my favorite way. With a side of white rice, feeds 2.

Requires:
2 Large Eggs
200g Pork Loin
300g Bean Sprouts
150g cup Garlic Chives (Chinese Leeks)
2 Garlic cloves
Welsh Onion (葱)
Chinese vermicelli
2g Salt
Pinch MSG
4g White Sugar
2g Fivespice
8g Soy Sauce
8g Brown Vinegar

Start by boiling the bean sprouts to pre cook them. If you do not boil them first, they will not sir fry well. Once they are done, I cook them in cold water and set aside.

Cut the garlic chives into 2 inch pieces. Cut the spring onion into thin diagonal slices (cut 45 degrees across the stem). Cut garlic into thin slices.

Cut the pork loin into very thin strips. This is best done by putting the meat in the freezer for up to one hour to get it very firm (but not frozen). I made all my strips across the grain of the meat.

Beat two eggs in a bowl and set aside.

In a saucepan bring water to a boil.

Ensure you have everything ready to go before starting the cooking..

Add oil and heat your wok up to high temperature. Add the garlic. Let the garlic brown slightly and add the green onion and then the meat. Keeps the meat moving so it will not stick to your pan. Add the Fivespice to the meat.

Put your vermicelli in the boiling water.

Add the beansprouts and garlic chives to the wok. Start tossing with the meat. Toss in a pinch of msg, salt, soy sauce, and vinegar. To balance out the sour of the vinegar, add sugar.
Plate the vermicelli first, then pour the contents of the wok ontop of it.

Quickly rinse out your wok and dry with a paper towel. Heat it up to ensure there is no water remaining and add oil. (Really really make sure you don’t have any water on your wok or else you’ll either start a grease fire or get yourself covered in hot oil!) Add the egg to the pan and start to swirl it around so the egg coats the sides of the wok to make a large flat omelet.

Plate the omelet on top of the dish.

Also, sorry, I don't have measurements. All the Chinese website's I've found do not have measurements, and I cannot even find measuring spoons/measuring cups in the markets here. So I just try and do everything to taste (cooked this dish about 3 times to nail it down). I cooked it again for dinner and estimated my measurements based on my 2gram salt measuring spoon I found. Meat and vegetable weight is from the supermarket.

**Also, I have no idea what type of onion or plant this is. People all give me different translations and it is often called by different names in the markets.

Aero737 fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Feb 10, 2012

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

It's 葱 (cong1). It's thinner and more slender than spring onions but has the bulb in place unlike chives.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Well, it's still confusing because they all have interchangable common names, but from what I've gathered from my dictionary and baidu。。

葱 are - Welsh Onion
小葱 are - Scallion
韭葱 are - Leeks
韭菜 are - Garlic Chives

With the exception of 韭菜, they all are called as 葱 in the markets.. I never thought figuring out what type of onion I have could be so confusing.

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Don't let dogs get any part of fish.
So I went ahead and bought a wok, but it didn't work out so well.

I bought this wok since it was pretty inexpensive. Figured I'd give it a try and then buy a proper carbon steel wok once I figured out what I was doing.

So I get my recipe all ready and I get the ingredients set aside and I heat up the wok and then I add the oil and the wok totally bursts into flames! Freaked me the gently caress out, but no permanent damage was done. I decided this must be a really lovely wok and ended up cooking the meal in my cast-iron skillet. It turned out really tasty, but I think I need to buy a decent carbon steel wok now.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Your wok was just too hot. The same thing can happen in a carbon steel one.

ForkPat
Aug 5, 2003

All the food is poison

smashthedean posted:

I bought this wok since it was pretty inexpensive. Figured I'd give it a try and then buy a proper carbon steel wok once I figured out what I was doing.

But, that stainless model is more expensive than many of the carbon models sold by Amazon, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Joyce-Chen-Pro-Chef-14-Inch-Handles/dp/B00004RBTH/ref=sr_1_10?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1329452303&sr=1-10

And being stainless is the antithesis of what cooking with a wok is. Building up carbon seasoning can't be done on a stainless. And cleaning it must be a bitch if you're using a good, high wok-cooking temperature, no? I'd be afraid of warping or damaging stainless steel on my wok burner. I wouldn't think it could handle it. I think you would have been better off starting with a carbon wok from the get go.

I have this setup here: http://www.amazon.com/18-Carbon-Steel-Wok-Kit/dp/B000NCVD6U/ref=sr_1_17?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1329452545&sr=1-17 But the wok is big enough to make food for a wedding banquet. Far too large and cumbersome for a quick meal for two so I bought a smaller 14" one. At least now I have something to up-armor my car in case of world war III.

ForkPat fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 17, 2012

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Don't let dogs get any part of fish.
Yeah I don't know what I'm doing. I just have a regular electric range so I didn't think it would get too hot. How do I know how hot it should be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Well those steel coils are glowing red hot. People say electric stoves don't make enough heat, but I find they make more than enough. Maybe not as much as a wok burner or turkey fryer, but they put out more heat that a standard gas range.