Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

crm posted:

On this - what does the "1-Tone w/ Push/Pull to split coil of bridge humbucker" mean?

It means that the tone knob can be pulled up to deactivate one of the coils on the humbucker so it becomes a single coil. It's not going to sound like a strat (because it wasn't built as a pure single coil), but it's a nice option to have if you like single coil bridge tones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crm
Oct 24, 2004

crm posted:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gl-tribute-series-legacy-hb-electric-guitar--black/502722000001000

On this - what does the "1-Tone w/ Push/Pull to split coil of bridge humbucker" mean?

Any thoughts on this guitar? Looks sexy, though I've heard back things about having a tremolo bar.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Floating tremolos are either awesome or awful depending on how you play. If you plan on changing the tune of your guitar a lot I would stay away, simply changing from standard to drop tuning or changing strings is a chore. Once you get in that tune you want, they become easier to keep in tune and can be really fun.

I have one on my Ibanez and I love it, but I always keep a different guitar with a different bridge around in case I want to play a different tuning.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Rolo posted:

Floating tremolos are either awesome or awful depending on how you play. If you plan on changing the tune of your guitar a lot I would stay away, simply changing from standard to drop tuning or changing strings is a chore. Once you get in that tune you want, they become easier to keep in tune and can be really fun.

I have one on my Ibanez and I love it, but I always keep a different guitar with a different bridge around in case I want to play a different tuning.

As a general rule I despise changing my tuning from standard EADGBe

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah me too, but I do play that Rocksmith game and it sometimes makes you down tune to play certain songs. But yeah, once I got my trem set up to standard it stays in tune surprisingly well, especially considering I'll get bored and play with harmonics while cranking the bar all over the place.

A lesson I learned tonight is to keep a brand new pick somewhere to use as a reference to wear. I was getting really pissed at the tortex pick I was using because it wouldn't hit any strings the way I wanted it to. Then I looked around and found a new one only to realize the one I was using was completely rounded off. I figured it would break before it turns into a useless nub, that's what my cheapo picks do.

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

Would I regret a Marauder over a regular Strat as my first 'own' guitar?

Guitar preference is a very personal thing, so no one accurately answer this. I will say that the Marauder seems pretty versatile, which is good for a first guitar. Still, if your hands don't fit the neck well, or you hate the way it sits on your lap or around your neck, it might not be for you.

I'm looking forward to trying one, I haven't seen any in the shops around here yet.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Question about actually playing.

Say you're playing "lead" and the rhythm guy is doing his thing with some chords, what can you do other than play the same chord on another octave or just 1-3-5 arpeggios?

Any good rules/recommendations?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

TriggerHappy posted:

Guitar preference is a very personal thing, so no one accurately answer this. I will say that the Marauder seems pretty versatile, which is good for a first guitar. Still, if your hands don't fit the neck well, or you hate the way it sits on your lap or around your neck, it might not be for you.

I'm looking forward to trying one, I haven't seen any in the shops around here yet.

Thank you, I picked up the MIA strat at the end of the last page :)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I bought a guitar today!

I've really been wanting an acoustic guitar lately that I can sit next to the couch and fiddle with when I don't feel like standing up and plugging my electric in. So I went to the local guitar place with my heart set on spending a hundred bucks and ended up walking out with a used 1977 Suzuki Three S.

I have no idea how ripped off I just got but I absolutely LOVE the neck and sound of this guitar, and for $140 I'm pretty happy :)

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

crm posted:

Say you're playing "lead" and the rhythm guy is doing his thing with some chords, what can you do other than play the same chord on another octave or just 1-3-5 arpeggios?

Have you guitar "sing" the melody?

I'm not really sure what you're asking, I think? What kind of song? Maybe listen to some jam bands to see what they do during extended jams? My brother and I play a lot where one of us will just be the chord whore for a while while the other jams/solos, then we trade off. Though anymore we're getting to the point where we can get pretty spacey and not even have the regimented chord-whoring while still recognizably playing the song.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 20, 2012

Dirp
May 16, 2007
I just acquired an amp off craigslist. I was testing it out at the guys house and everything was fine and now that I have it back at my apartment there is a constant humming noise when my guitar is plugged into the amp. Any advice for fixing this?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

crm posted:

Figure out the key he is playing in with the chord sequence, then run a scale over it to begin with, then as you get the hang of that, then you get the notes to sync with the chords to make it even more harmonic. I'm basically drilling all 5 minor pentatonic scale patterns over different backing tracks every night for almost an hour as part of my current practice.

Then from there, you start putting licks and going off road and exploring outside of the patterns to see what works and what doesn't.

A good place for backing tracks is youtube, btw. Use a youtube to mp3 converter, load up your ipod, run it through your stereo or aux input if you have one and go to town on a billion different styles of music. Maybe try a different cable as well.

Dirp posted:

I just acquired an amp off craigslist. I was testing it out at the guys house and everything was fine and now that I have it back at my apartment there is a constant humming noise when my guitar is plugged into the amp. Any advice for fixing this?

What kind of guitar did you use there and your apt? Single coils hum more on some amps than others. Outside of that, maybe look for a decent power strip, and turn off your TV, radio, lights, etc to see what might be causing it.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 20, 2012

Dirp
May 16, 2007

Philthy posted:

What kind of guitar did you use there and your apt? Single coils hum more on some amps than others. Outside of that, maybe look for a decent power strip, and turn off your TV, radio, lights, etc to see what might be causing it.

Telecaster at both places so yeah, single coils. My fat strat does it too though. The power strip didn't work and neither did turning everything off. I'm three blocks away from a radio station and my cheap lovely amp picks it up all the time, so I'm thinking that could be the problem. Come to think of it, my cheap amp has the same humming going on which I always assumed was due to the amp being cheap and pretty beat up.

I guess the cable itself could be a potential problem as well, it's about 5 years old now.

Dirp fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 20, 2012

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Fender has a Guild Starfire prototype at this years NAMM...

Excited!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Dirp posted:

I guess the cable itself could be a potential problem as well, it's about 5 years old now.

It also might be worth trying different outlets in different rooms that are on other circuits. I know my room upstairs everything is dead silent for my amps, but when I bring them down into the living room I get slight hums, and sometimes loud hums with my strat depending. Even with everything turned off.

The last apartment I had half the room was on one circuit and the other half was another. Maybe you'll luck out and it'll be something simple.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
My little group took the time to rearrange our playing space so that everything ended up (somehow) on clean power and it really makes a difference!

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Does anyone has the THR amps by Yamaha? What do you think of them? If someone only wanted to play at home would it be the perfect amp?

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
I'm not 100% sure this is the right thread for my question, but I'm guessing someone will know.

I've got a Les Paul from the mid 90s, it was perfect and amazing for years. For the last month or so though, the input jack where the guitar cable plugs in seems to have a short in it or something. I've rewired the entire guitar, had an actual tech rewire it, and it still happens. If I shove the cord in and hold it, guitar plays fine. If I'm in *just* the right position, it doesn't even need to be held in, but the minute the tinyest movement happens, I get short outs. It HAS to be the guitar because I've tested multiple cables and all of them work fine with my other guitars.

Anybody know what's happening and how to fix it?

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
Got a guitar setup question.

I picked up a nice used ESP at a local pawn shop for a pretty good price. I've been playing bass for about a year but this is the first guitar, so I checked out all the usual stuff: fret buzz, electronics, etc and it all looked fine.

After dicking around with it for awhile, I realized my fretting fingers were all black and smelled like sweat and motor oil. I figured the strings probably needed a change so I put some new strings on it and it played well, but it went out of tune quickly because, well, that's what new strings do for awhile, right?

I went to my first lesson two days after and the instructor did a quick action adjustment for me and some other wizardry to it and now the thing won't stay in tune worth a drat. Playing normally for a little under 10 minutes will cause at least one string to go flat by at least a half step.

It's been about a week since I put the new strings on, but I can't imagine it is still the new strings "settling in" after this long, can it be? Could the tuners be poo poo? It's an ESP LTD-EC200QM and they come with Tune-o-matics, if that matters.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Sounds like it could be a few things, strings sticking at the nut, the poor ESP tuners, whatever. The bridge isn't likely to be a problem in this case.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

When you tune the strings, bend them at the 1st or 2nd fret a bunch and then check they're in tune. That should avoid them catching in the nut and slipping out later, throwing the tension (and tuning) out of whack. If that helps then you can try scribbling a pencil in the nut grooves to put a nice slippery layer of graphite in there.

Going a semitone out's pretty extreme though

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

GodIsInTheTrees posted:

I'm not 100% sure this is the right thread for my question, but I'm guessing someone will know.

I've got a Les Paul from the mid 90s, it was perfect and amazing for years. For the last month or so though, the input jack where the guitar cable plugs in seems to have a short in it or something. I've rewired the entire guitar, had an actual tech rewire it, and it still happens. If I shove the cord in and hold it, guitar plays fine. If I'm in *just* the right position, it doesn't even need to be held in, but the minute the tinyest movement happens, I get short outs. It HAS to be the guitar because I've tested multiple cables and all of them work fine with my other guitars.

Anybody know what's happening and how to fix it?

Was the jack itself replaced when the tech re-wired it?
It just sounds like the jack is bad, you can bend the prong on the jack out and it should make better contact with the plug, or you can go and get a new jack.
It's a simple mechanical connection if holding the plug in fixes it temporarily then replacing the jack should fix it permanently.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Thumposaurus posted:

Was the jack itself replaced when the tech re-wired it?
It just sounds like the jack is bad, you can bend the prong on the jack out and it should make better contact with the plug, or you can go and get a new jack.
It's a simple mechanical connection if holding the plug in fixes it temporarily then replacing the jack should fix it permanently.

It was supposed to be, since that was the reason I took it to him in the first place, but upon actually looking at it closely, nope. I bet he just bent the little prong up enough to work for a day or two and told me he replaced it.

Just going to replace it myself, thanks for the help!

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
2012 Fender/Guild Starfire VI

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Can someone help me with the riff he's playing from 0:41 to 0:47 on this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRmwXhW7SfY

I can get sort of close playing 9,10,12 on the b-string but I'm missing something when he's sliding his hand around and just can't quite get it...which shames me since I've got sound and video but gently caress.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Kekekela posted:

Can someone help me with the riff he's playing from 0:41 to 0:47 on this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRmwXhW7SfY

I can get sort of close playing 9,10,12 on the b-string but I'm missing something when he's sliding his hand around and just can't quite get it...which shames me since I've got sound and video but gently caress.

Sounds like 3 notes at once; open E string matching the E on the 9th fret of the G string while the B string moves around.

I'm working on my picking real hard these days and I've been practicing some songs with my metranome but I need help with a bit. This song is 100bpm and has fast picking at the 8 second and 43 second mark. They're either playing 6 notes/beat or 8 notes/beat and I can't figure it out. Can anyone hear the difference at this tempo? And if not how should I practice this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oFjHDFVJc0

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

He's basically just alternating the notes you said on the B string and the open E. What might be throwing you is that when he does the ascending bit some of the melody notes occur when you're picking the E string, so have to basically upstrum both on that movement. Like this

code:
---0-----0-----0-----0----------------------------
10----10----9--10-10-12---------------------------
So you're just doing a constant movement and extending your picking movement to bring in the extra notes, and you get strummy at the end. Then it's octaves after that

EDIT: fixing the font would help

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 23, 2012

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm having major troubles improving my picking speed/fluidity. I've been playing for a while now, but I hit a wall with picking-hand dexterity with a while ago. I finally decided to experiment with how to pick, and I'm wondering what other people do (youtube videos really only go so far)

Originally, I held the pick between thumb and index, with my index perpendicular to my thumb. Now I've switched to curling my index finger a little more, so that my index is roughly parallel to my thumb. I can pick faster, but it's definitely a lot messier and my attack is inconsistent.

Am I best off working on this new picking technique and chalking up the awkwardness to a lack of muscle memory, or should I go back to how I picked before? I understand it's a rough description, and it's a minor detail, but I'm not able to play the kind of lead style I want as is.

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm having major troubles improving my picking speed/fluidity. I've been playing for a while now, but I hit a wall with picking-hand dexterity with a while ago. I finally decided to experiment with how to pick, and I'm wondering what other people do (youtube videos really only go so far)

Originally, I held the pick between thumb and index, with my index perpendicular to my thumb. Now I've switched to curling my index finger a little more, so that my index is roughly parallel to my thumb. I can pick faster, but it's definitely a lot messier and my attack is inconsistent.

Am I best off working on this new picking technique and chalking up the awkwardness to a lack of muscle memory, or should I go back to how I picked before? I understand it's a rough description, and it's a minor detail, but I'm not able to play the kind of lead style I want as is.

Don't think it matters too much, but holding it between the pad of your thumb and the side of your index finger (with the index finger parallel to the pick and almost perpendicular to the thumb) is probably easiest and allows you to manipulate the angle of the pick just by moving your index finger a bit more forward or backward.

For speed I think the most important thing is to not pick by moving your fingers (thumb mostly), but by moving your wrist and forearm. Obviously don't sweep your forearm up and down to pick, but let it move naturally and use it to change strings more fluently. Actually, try not to think about your arm too much, just use your wrist.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

MockingQuantum posted:

For faster picking I've also just recently discovered that tilting the pick at a 45 degree angle to the strings instead of parallel helps, though it sounds muddier because the pick is bouncing off the string not twanging it cleanly. As for holding the pick, this is how I was shown, this kind of pinch gives you a firm grip and with less pick showing, you get a solid strike on the string as well as being able to roll your thumb left a touch to pinch off an artificial harmonic. The pick itself rests on the side of the second and last joints of the index finger.

Apologies for image quality, the Microsoft Lifecam Cinema isn't as good as I thought it would be.

edit: If someone with more experience than myself sees any problems with my own pick grip, please feel free to let me know. I'm still really somewhat of a noob myself.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 29, 2012

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Here's a question for the electronics wizards here about something really cool I just noticed.

I just turned on my Boss CS3 and distortion pedals and went to plug my guitar into my amp and I heard a strange noise. Turns out if I hold the guitar cable inside my guitar port without actually clicking it in place my amp plays beautiful piano recordings.

Is my guitar picking up radio stations?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Rolo posted:

Here's a question for the electronics wizards here about something really cool I just noticed.

I just turned on my Boss CS3 and distortion pedals and went to plug my guitar into my amp and I heard a strange noise. Turns out if I hold the guitar cable inside my guitar port without actually clicking it in place my amp plays beautiful piano recordings.

Is my guitar picking up radio stations?

Yes, you could be picking up RF noise. In my experience this is usually a problem with unshielded cables, though I'm no expert.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

So I'm shopping for a new guitar, and a lot of the brands I'm looking at have 7- and 8-string models of the guitars I'm interested in. I didn't really set out to buy a 7/8 string, but is it worth considering, if the price increase isn't extreme? I never planned to develop my playing in that way, and I'm curious how much I'd be inhibited if I didn't use the extra strings for a while. Basically, would I be throwing away money if I didn't see myself incorporating the extra strings into my playing for some time?

inexpensive meal
Jan 29, 2012

toot toot

MockingQuantum posted:

So I'm shopping for a new guitar, and a lot of the brands I'm looking at have 7- and 8-string models of the guitars I'm interested in. I didn't really set out to buy a 7/8 string, but is it worth considering, if the price increase isn't extreme? I never planned to develop my playing in that way, and I'm curious how much I'd be inhibited if I didn't use the extra strings for a while. Basically, would I be throwing away money if I didn't see myself incorporating the extra strings into my playing for some time?

It's definitely worth it imo. The extended range can lend to some really interesting chord shapes and sounds - listen to modern meat by AAL for a good example. It also lends some awesome range if you ever tune to an open chord, which makes songwriting a breeze.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MockingQuantum posted:

Yes, you could be picking up RF noise. In my experience this is usually a problem with unshielded cables, though I'm no expert.

That makes sense, I'm using cheapo unshielded cables.

Still pretty cool though!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

MockingQuantum posted:

Find one in a music store, it shouldn't be too hard. I really can't stress how important it is to try them out first enough. Even if you just want to pick it up and see how it feels in your hand and chug on the low B or low F#, see how it feels on you.
They definitely open up lots of new possibilities, but sometimes, people really are just more comfortable with less strings.

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!
What's the best way to stop myself from touching the other string when I hold down a fret? I keep my nails cut really short and I'm trying to keep my fingers perpendicular to the fretboard, but I just can't seem to not touch the string behind my middle finger. It usually happens when I'm trying to play the F chord if that helps.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

What happens if you just put that one finger straight down on it own - does it have clearance? If you can do it on its own it's just a case of technique, try pushing your wrist slightly forward and see if that lets your fingers come in at a better angle. Also try playing the chord, then hold it and make a concentrated effort to readjust your hand so you get everything clean, and try to mimic that technique with your playing in general

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-161-F-chord.php

Try watching that too and see if you pick up anything useful from his demo

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

MockingQuantum posted:

Bear in mind that oddities like extra strings come at a premium. A $500 7/8 string will probably not be of the same quality as a $500 "standard" guitar. The only real limitations here are your budget, and the practical uses for extra strings.

You can always just not use those strings, but then you should probably question your need for them. Do you think you'll need those extra low notes? If you're playing regular guitar stuff, anything below the low E string could get muddy.

7 strings are popular in heavy styles because you can get a really chunky low end, but the only other real use is if you want to play bass lines along with your chords like a jazz player (which is a pretty cool trick). Of course, you can also just let your creative juices flow and see what use you find for the extra strings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
I started learning guitar almost 2 years ago. I first bought an acoustic Seagull Entourage and really liked it. Had weekly lessons with a friend of mine who's a pro guitar teacher. In that year, I had time to learn basic chords, a few standard exercises and maybe 5-6 easy songs.
I moved to Vietnam 7 months ago and completely stopped guitar (sold it before leaving) but last week I bought an electric guitar. Looking around, I was told that Fender, Gibson, etc. are not distributed here.

Most shops only carry Vietnamese guitars, which have weird necks like this:

I will probably buy one when I get better, to experiment with that very Asian sound. All these cheap Vietnamese guitars (most are less than $50) are all Fender Stratocasters, funny.

I finally bought a "standard" electric guit, some unknown local brand (Eruption, weird name). I got a cheap Hollywood 18W amp that does the job, at least for my untrained ears. I really suck for now, my ears are totally untrained, music theory looks like particle physics to me, etc. But it's fun to just strum a few chords and feel like a rockstar!

The OP has really useful tips and links, I'm really pumped to start learning again. I'm also REALLY excited, someone is bringing me a Line 6 PocketPod from France tomorrow and I have heard a lot of good things about these gadgets. What's the opinion on these pods in this thread? Being a total newbie, I obviously won't use it to its max potential but I figure it will be fun.

Senso fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jan 30, 2012